Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Anyone ever play multiple MMOs at once?Follow

#27 Jan 13 2013 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Yeah, I've been with two MMOs at once -- a few times, in college.

It was right good fun but, man, all the awkward social logistics afterwards are a nightmare. Jealously. Competition. Favouritism. It creeps in even as you least expect it. What started as just a little innocent play soon becomes serious. Take it from someone who's been there. My advice is to find one you really like and stick to it, it'll save you some headaches.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#28 Jan 13 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
****
5,050 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Yeah, I've been with two MMOs at once -- a few times, in college.

It was right good fun but, man, all the awkward social logistics afterwards are a nightmare. Jealously. Competition. Favouritism. It creeps in even as you least expect it. What started as just a little innocent play soon becomes serious. Take it from someone who's been there. My advice is to find one you really like and stick to it, it'll save you some headaches.



heh I played FFXI for 8 years.. I know ALL about "Jealously. Competition. Favouritism and becoming serious"
#29 Jan 13 2013 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
its free doenst mean it wont have a lotta stuff to do to keep you busy if you try too put out your character the fastest you can or do as much as you can in one day on each.

i mean sure you can play two of them an hour each and the other all day but how much can you accomplish in an hour in those other two. i dont think a few skill point a day is gonna do much for example lol


Yeah, but being free, and being a shooter, makes it more likely to play while playing another mmo. If it was 2 similar mmos, like XI and XIV, I'd have trouble committing to both, but with Dust, I'll definitely play it because it would be a change of pace when I want a break from XIV.



so by that statement then youre saying you cold play lets say FFXIV and dc universe online just fine?


Nope. Dust is very very different, please read the above statement again. I've highlighted the parts you missed.



the bold parts you outlined were "being a shooter" as if to point out its different from FFXIV... well DCUO is just as different from FFXIV as it doesnt required a lot of time, more fast paced (like a brawler) gameplay and not a huge list of things to accomplish in one day.

"if it was two similar mmos" well FFXIV and DCUO arent very similar

"change of pace when I cant a break from FFXIV" Id say DCUO is definitely a change of pace from FFXIV >.>


I guess you don't consider "third-person rpg where you run around grabbing quests from ?'s over peoples heads to get to the next camp" similar. I do.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#30 Jan 13 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,050 posts
Louiscool wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
its free doenst mean it wont have a lotta stuff to do to keep you busy if you try too put out your character the fastest you can or do as much as you can in one day on each.

i mean sure you can play two of them an hour each and the other all day but how much can you accomplish in an hour in those other two. i dont think a few skill point a day is gonna do much for example lol


Yeah, but being free, and being a shooter, makes it more likely to play while playing another mmo. If it was 2 similar mmos, like XI and XIV, I'd have trouble committing to both, but with Dust, I'll definitely play it because it would be a change of pace when I want a break from XIV.



so by that statement then youre saying you cold play lets say FFXIV and dc universe online just fine?


Nope. Dust is very very different, please read the above statement again. I've highlighted the parts you missed.



the bold parts you outlined were "being a shooter" as if to point out its different from FFXIV... well DCUO is just as different from FFXIV as it doesnt required a lot of time, more fast paced (like a brawler) gameplay and not a huge list of things to accomplish in one day.

"if it was two similar mmos" well FFXIV and DCUO arent very similar

"change of pace when I cant a break from FFXIV" Id say DCUO is definitely a change of pace from FFXIV >.>


I guess you don't consider "third-person rpg where you run around grabbing quests from ?'s over peoples heads to get to the next camp" similar. I do.



DCUO consist of 2 cities and a hub area... FF consist of a LOT more

DCUO is a fast paced button masher basically.. FFs combat is a tab more complex that requires OSM Strategy and thinking

it stakes next to no time at all to accomplish thing in DCUO.. FF takes a tad bit longer.. sure it may not be FFXI long but compared to DCUO it is.


so based on those things DCUO and FFXIV are nothing similar thus one is a change of pace from the other
#31 Jan 13 2013 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
I must not be up on all th slang. What do you mean by OSM?
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#32 Jan 13 2013 at 3:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I believe that's "awesome." As if you were to try to say "OSM" as a word.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#33 Jan 13 2013 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Ah ok. Thanks :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#34 Jan 13 2013 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
****
5,050 posts
LebargeX wrote:
I must not be up on all th slang. What do you mean by OSM?



that was a badly types "SOME" actually
#35 Jan 13 2013 at 4:38 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
I must not be up on all th slang. What do you mean by OSM?



that was a badly types "SOME" actually


lol.. thanks for clearing that up, even with Kachi's answer I was still kinda befuddled. :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#36 Jan 14 2013 at 8:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
louiscool wrote:
Major snip

DCUO consist of 2 cities and a hub area... FF consist of a LOT more

DCUO is a fast paced button masher basically.. FFs combat is a tab more complex that requires OSM Strategy and thinking

it stakes next to no time at all to accomplish thing in DCUO.. FF takes a tad bit longer.. sure it may not be FFXI long but compared to DCUO it is.

so based on those things DCUO and FFXIV are nothing similar thus one is a change of pace from the other


Tomato Tomato. This is a pretty silly disagreement, but I played DCUO and aside from the super hero angle, I didn't find it different enough to warrant spreading my time out. (by this i mean different from wow/swtor/rift/etc) The only benefit of DCUO is the ability to make a superhero cheerleader with basketball-sized women parts.

Edited, Jan 14th 2013 9:28am by Louiscool

Edited, Jan 14th 2013 9:29am by Louiscool
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#37 Jan 14 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
21 posts
i can only handle one mmo at once especially the one like ffxiv or ffxi, cuz i wanna focus and make it best on one character instead. i also realized that i can't play more than 1 character in a mmo lol
#38 Jan 14 2013 at 11:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
153 posts
Most of these people have checked themselves into game addiction clinics.
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#39 Jan 15 2013 at 12:21 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
onineko wrote:
Most of these people have checked themselves into daringly escaped from game addiction clinics.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#40 Jan 16 2013 at 8:56 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
42 posts
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D
#41 Jan 16 2013 at 9:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one who multitasks, I thought I had a problem Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#42 Jan 16 2013 at 10:07 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Wint wrote:
Glad to see I'm not the only one who multitasks, I thought I had a problem Smiley: tongue

I used to think I had an opium problem until I talked to the nice fellows down at the underground opium den. Smiley: lol
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#43 Jan 16 2013 at 10:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Whatever makes you feel better about your addiction right? Smiley: laugh
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#44 Jan 16 2013 at 10:26 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,050 posts
Ishihara wrote:
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D


nin war war war bdr rdm isnt oldschool.... old but not oldschool
#45 Jan 16 2013 at 10:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
42 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D


nin war war war bdr rdm isnt oldschool.... old but not oldschool


LoL what's an old school setup then?

Actually, it depends if your gonna get all technical, I guess I shouldn't have brought an inside joke outside >.> some people that played xi outside of my circle know what I mean though, still, I'm curious...


Edited, Jan 16th 2013 11:42pm by Ishihara
#46 Jan 16 2013 at 10:45 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,050 posts
Ishihara wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D


nin war war war bdr rdm isnt oldschool.... old but not oldschool


LoL what's an old school setup then?

Actually, it depends if your gonna get all technical, I guess I shouldn't have brought an inside joke outside >.> some people that played xi outside of my circle know what I mean though, still, I'm curious...


Edited, Jan 16th 2013 11:42pm by Ishihara



old school would be those of us who got a job to 75 BEFORE toau.. when parties consisted of a tank, 2 DDs, a healer, refresher and a blm (or maybe in some cases 3 DDs and the role of refresher and healer would be played by one job)

back when you still did skill chains and magic bursts (hence the blms)
#47 Jan 16 2013 at 11:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
42 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D


nin war war war bdr rdm isnt oldschool.... old but not oldschool


LoL what's an old school setup then?

Actually, it depends if your gonna get all technical, I guess I shouldn't have brought an inside joke outside >.> some people that played xi outside of my circle know what I mean though, still, I'm curious...


Edited, Jan 16th 2013 11:42pm by Ishihara



old school would be those of us who got a job to 75 BEFORE toau.. when parties consisted of a tank, 2 DDs, a healer, refresher and a blm (or maybe in some cases 3 DDs and the role of refresher and healer would be played by one job)

back when you still did skill chains and magic bursts (hence the blms)


LoL, well I beta'd xi, so I could go earlier than that, but dude, you just named what I put in the first place, except the 3 wars "CAN" be exchanged, but BUT, you see my way was preferred by experienced players

nin,war,war,war (no one tanked lol, tank WHAT lol)

brd,rdm (basically every one pulled, (had to be a knowledgeable rdm to do so, which meant /whm) both mages healed, pulled and refreshed, you pull with provoke, which makes nin, the main puller because more shadows,

LoL I just gaged your ffxi knowledge, anyway the thing is with blms and other dd is rampage/NI/subshadows/provoke/slash whm on both brd & rdm and the fact that blms went off to manaburn and all this could be done before TOAU, and COP

I guess it just depens on how you played the game to get my little pun of nin warx3 brd rdm, its efficient and fast, thf & rng could sub, but thfs have epeen on mobs or its snot warx3... gosh all this xi talk... im so nostalgic, me and my friend chat for hours about stuffs like this lol
#48 Jan 17 2013 at 1:40 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,050 posts
Ishihara wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D


nin war war war bdr rdm isnt oldschool.... old but not oldschool


LoL what's an old school setup then?

Actually, it depends if your gonna get all technical, I guess I shouldn't have brought an inside joke outside >.> some people that played xi outside of my circle know what I mean though, still, I'm curious...


Edited, Jan 16th 2013 11:42pm by Ishihara



old school would be those of us who got a job to 75 BEFORE toau.. when parties consisted of a tank, 2 DDs, a healer, refresher and a blm (or maybe in some cases 3 DDs and the role of refresher and healer would be played by one job)

back when you still did skill chains and magic bursts (hence the blms)


LoL, well I beta'd xi, so I could go earlier than that, but dude, you just named what I put in the first place, except the 3 wars "CAN" be exchanged, but BUT, you see my way was preferred by experienced players

nin,war,war,war (no one tanked lol, tank WHAT lol)

brd,rdm (basically every one pulled, (had to be a knowledgeable rdm to do so, which meant /whm) both mages healed, pulled and refreshed, you pull with provoke, which makes nin, the main puller because more shadows,

LoL I just gaged your ffxi knowledge, anyway the thing is with blms and other dd is rampage/NI/subshadows/provoke/slash whm on both brd & rdm and the fact that blms went off to manaburn and all this could be done before TOAU, and COP

I guess it just depens on how you played the game to get my little pun of nin warx3 brd rdm, its efficient and fast, thf & rng could sub, but thfs have epeen on mobs or its snot warx3... gosh all this xi talk... im so nostalgic, me and my friend chat for hours about stuffs like this lol



well beck then you needed tanks... i dont think three wars would suffice in sky/moon etc etc parties.. and if they did it was **** on the healer.. and yes BLMs COUDL manaburn back then.. the difference between back then and during toau is back then it was by choice... after toau it was because they HAD no other choice (i.e parties didnt want them anymore)
#49 Jan 17 2013 at 2:45 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
42 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Ishihara wrote:
Quote:
I usually have 3 going at a time... I think I'll be playing MechWarrior Online, Neverwinter, and XIV at the same time. Usually I LFG or wait for good shouts in XIV while playing quick matches in games like MWO, depending on how demanding Neverwinter is... I might grind or craft or something while waiting for XIV fun. I plan to have XIV as my main MMO though


This is what I do, except substitute those games for games like rpgs(ff,dishonored,skyrim,etc), street fighter, littlebigplanet, etc... movies, shows and ***...

I'm a FF mmo fan to the core(oldschool too nin,war,war,war,brd,rdm pties), no other one has compared to xi and im sure xiv will be my next thing... although, I've been thinking about subing ffxi with my friend and finishing our beastmaster duo :D


nin war war war bdr rdm isnt oldschool.... old but not oldschool


LoL what's an old school setup then?

Actually, it depends if your gonna get all technical, I guess I shouldn't have brought an inside joke outside >.> some people that played xi outside of my circle know what I mean though, still, I'm curious...


Edited, Jan 16th 2013 11:42pm by Ishihara



old school would be those of us who got a job to 75 BEFORE toau.. when parties consisted of a tank, 2 DDs, a healer, refresher and a blm (or maybe in some cases 3 DDs and the role of refresher and healer would be played by one job)

back when you still did skill chains and magic bursts (hence the blms)


LoL, well I beta'd xi, so I could go earlier than that, but dude, you just named what I put in the first place, except the 3 wars "CAN" be exchanged, but BUT, you see my way was preferred by experienced players

nin,war,war,war (no one tanked lol, tank WHAT lol)

brd,rdm (basically every one pulled, (had to be a knowledgeable rdm to do so, which meant /whm) both mages healed, pulled and refreshed, you pull with provoke, which makes nin, the main puller because more shadows,

LoL I just gaged your ffxi knowledge, anyway the thing is with blms and other dd is rampage/NI/subshadows/provoke/slash whm on both brd & rdm and the fact that blms went off to manaburn and all this could be done before TOAU, and COP

I guess it just depens on how you played the game to get my little pun of nin warx3 brd rdm, its efficient and fast, thf & rng could sub, but thfs have epeen on mobs or its snot warx3... gosh all this xi talk... im so nostalgic, me and my friend chat for hours about stuffs like this lol



well beck then you needed tanks... i dont think three wars would suffice in sky/moon etc etc parties.. and if they did it was **** on the healer.. and yes BLMs COUDL manaburn back then.. the difference between back then and during toau is back then it was by choice... after toau it was because they HAD no other choice (i.e parties didnt want them anymore)



well, yeah, these kinds of parties weren't well known for endgame before toau, but at 41rdm up w/ brd ballad, you could still rush through mobs, one thing to note, is mob level as well, chaining vts also helped, which is why the voke pull and extra vokers... mage pullers, these zones would also be crowded, but a pt with this build, subbing the wars or two wars for thf, rng, and one war for a dd would still equal good xp, its ideal,

also when I say oldschool, i mean in setups compared to pups, dancer, sch, heavy parties, pups became stronger, blue mages, cors were popular... but before those jobs you had the ideal setup for xp, nin(main tank/puller) 3dd best to worst(oldschool) war(rmp/decentgear) thf/nin rng/ mnk,(<--tp jobs, should get ws off regularly) drg/drk(same) then for healers brd/rdm didnt need whm blm,(funny, since they were needed for endgame)

lol i for one rarely looked for blms, depended on if i wanted sc heavy xp, but i manaburned with them on brd and many of them liked the fact that they could burn slimes as opposed to pting, even motivated some to lvl blm
#50 Jan 17 2013 at 8:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
265 posts
Ain't nobody got time for that.
____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?
[ffxivsig]1529088[/ffxivsig]
#51 Jan 17 2013 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
*
180 posts
FFXI went through many different "Best" party setups over time. There was a time where Arrow burns were very popular in Sky IIRC. Grab someone to voke (maybe, not always) and have the RNG stand with some distance between them. They all just fire arrows until the mob falls. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone remember Fist Burns in KRT? Normally consisted of parties full of MNKs, though a few PLD did well there with high staff skills and Full Swing (I think that was the WS). ****, remember when PLDs wanted staff skill so they could tank with the Earth Staff?

There was a time where NIN and /NIN were the only way to go as 1-Handers had a big advantage over 2-handed DDs.

Then after the SAM update with Hasso and Seigan in ToAU days DRGs and SAMs became big DDs especially in merit parties on birds.

Ah memory lane... such a fond walk.
____________________________
Kezia Canadensis
Ultros
TKC <ZAM>
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)