My record includes 3 years with ffxi, 2 years on WoW, I dabbled in EverQuest2, LOTRO, and a few others.
This is my 3rd attempt at finding a new MMO.
Biggest Likes so far:
- PublicQuests are awesome! I don't care what anyones says. The biggest drawback in WoW and in FFXI was it's need to form groups with long term commitments. While in FFXI that was usually a non-issue (as this game was harder than WoW it has older players), in WoW it's a large problem. Spending hours setting up a group only to watch it dissolve because someone has to eat dinner cuz their Mom says so is depressing. Running aorund in WAR and stumbling into a PQ is great fun. I hope they work out all the bugs with the rolls and ad a larger bonus to those who are involved in the quest for longer time periods. I also really like PQ because it's realistic and an innovation in mmos, something unique.
- Quests are freaking fun and realistic. You have a map helping you so you don't run around aimlessly looking for questgivers. It's completion of quests is basic and to the point. They are not huge distances apart so you don't spend insane amounts of time running. They're also very fluid. One quests goes nicely into the next and before you know it your level 5 and into the 3rd chapter for your race. It's extremely enjoyable. The Quests also only yield items wearable for your class and your class only, I find this to be soooooo nice and relaxing. It's like everytime I complete a Quest I know I'll get something usable for my character. Unlike WoW where you can run around doing quest after quest and will still receive crap.
- The town designs are nice and open, I find myself remembering my way around towns easily, I am not confused and I don't waste time.
- Character customization. I find (as I've read from many other posts in other forums) the High Elves to be incredibly ugly. It's so disappointing. I understand why they don't make 100 faces and hair styles to choose from as it would make the game run slower. But come on!!! Those hairstyles are tacky, they're almost hilariously bad. I refuse to believe a female created them because it's soooooooo obvious it wasn't. Have anyone even LOOKED at the Female Empire hair choices for Warrior Priest? It's like 4 choices, then 3 of the 4 with slight alterations to seem somewhat different. The High Elf males are not at all even the slightest bit masculine looking (which is achievable, look at Orlando Bloom in LOTR) and their hair is just AWFUL. HORRIBLE. FFXI has better hairstyles and overall graphics for the hair and that game came out in like 2002!!! Jesus. REMODEL THE HAIR FOR THE ELVES PLEASE (and Empire women). The reaosn this is such a huge deal for me is that if Mythic wants me to be playing a character for the next 2-3 years with WAR I want it to be something I'm happy with.
The characters I think look visually awesome and have some nice faces/hair:
- Greenskins, Dwarves, DarkElves
Needs some work but not bad:
- Empire (more womens hair choices pleas!), Chaos
Absolutely horrible, should consider remaking entirely:
- High Elves
Don't tell me it can't be done either...I have played other MMOs where it has been done before. I mean EverQuest2 is from 2003 and it was soooo customizable, you could even control your head and body size and hair/skin colors were completely limitless possibilities. If you can't accomplish that, at least make what few customizable things we can do **** awesome looking.
Overall I am excited and I really like it, but the race I wanted to play is too ugly to play so now I am leaning towards DarkElves or Dwarves.
Thank you. :B