In my ten years of playing this game, I have learned:
1) There are so many quests to do at every level that you don't really need to ever grind...
2) There are so many peeps looking to play in a group...you never have to play alone...
3) If you are grinding, you are doing so by choice...
4) If you are grinding, you have lost the essence of Everquest...and in many cases you may never have had that essence.
5) No matter the how many toons you make, delete, and remake...they are a representation of your real character, you cannot escape this. Your subconscious will always win out.
i.e. if you are a good friend to others and a delight to be around in real life...you will be the same in-game.
This means the opposite is also true, so stop telling us that it is you "roll play" to be an ***.
We all know:
1) if you are an *** in-game, then you are an *** in real-life. (to the extent that your Mother will allow you to get away with it..before grounding you to the basement ...with internet unplugged)
I have always enjoyed the game, I get a kick out of helping people accomplish things in game... it is almost as good as helping someone in real life.
Sadly, the help requests over the years have changed from the typical
"how would you recommend doing this?" or
"have you ever done this? Is this the right way?"
To which my response was some version of my experience along with an offer to help them.
to /shout hey anyone pl-ing out there
or /tell powerlevel me dude!!!
It seems like I have never seen so many people wanting to skip the integral enjoyment of the game ...to get to the ...GAME!
If I hadn't been playing since 2003 and raised a dozen or so toons from 1 to 70 and 4 main toons to 90, I would think that this game doesn't start until level 95 and it must end at level 100.
Lol my new favorite message in general is "wtb wm gc", usually within a couple minutes followed buy, "wts wm gc"
I decided to follow up on this one day:
As I was snaring a Noc to keep him in place for the final beat-down my sk was handing out I sent a tell to the player advertising "wtb wm gc pst"
me: what is a wm gc?
otherguy (some version of grrm's kingslayer): game card...
me: ok, wm?
otherguy: yeah, how much?
me: no...what is wm?
otherguy: WAL MART...GAME CARD HOW MUCH YOU WANT!!!
me: wow! ok, what is normal for them?
By this time I have cycled a couple more nocs, an ukun and ...
otherguy: SO...HOW MUCH FOR THE GC?
me: I don't have any, sorry?
me: yeah me either
Now my named Ikaav has popped and I am trying not to die too quickly when...
I am just about finished playing with Mrs. Ikaav so...
me: whats up with you?
otherguy: YOU MESSED WITH THE WRONG DUDE! DUDE!
me: what is up?
no answer, so I keep cycling these pops for another ten minutes before I have to stop my battle against the evil forces of Discord for the night. I generally like to camp at the zone entrance, and on my way there I see this corpse about ten steps out of the tunnels that lead from the Void
to Old Bloodfields...I can't help laughing as I send a tell to otherguy...
me: you ok? I can drag you to a safe place and rez you with my shammy...
I wait a minute or so and then...
otherguy: F%$& OFF
me: sure, but what level are you?
otherguy: 95, why?
me: what killed you, all these things are light blue to me at 90.
Anyway...it seems no matter the changes in the game...some things stay the same.
I guess I'll do some more grind tomorrow ;-)
Edited, Jan 3rd 2013 8:48pm by alwayslost