Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Future expansions planned by Blizzard, from late 2003.Follow

#227 Aug 03 2011 at 10:23 PM Rating: Good
****
5,729 posts
Yeah. This was a damn entertaining thread. Both before and after the hoax was revealed.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#228 Aug 10 2011 at 3:00 AM Rating: Good
***
1,188 posts
What amuses me most is that it was made up, and still is nearly entirely accurate (excluding that the five level increase was 80-85 instead of 95-100), and the zone names become more off the further you go. But I mean, this set dealt directly with the maelstrom, the name Mist of Pandarean, or whatever it is, was just copyrighted, which would reflect the planes set, etc. My guess, since this was made up, the person who made it up watched some interviews that devs accidentally hinted at future plans that panned out pretty well, or maybe this progression has just been really come sense from a design perspective...no clue.
#229 Aug 10 2011 at 7:31 AM Rating: Default
Or... he just lied that he faked it, because Blizzard sent some heavies to his house and threatened to knee-cap him with The Stoppable Force. Just sayin'.

Bit too coincidental. He had to have inside information from somewheres.
#230 Aug 10 2011 at 4:56 PM Rating: Decent
Faolana wrote:
Or... he just lied that he faked it, because Blizzard sent some heavies to his house and threatened to knee-cap him with The Stoppable Force. Just sayin'.

Bit too coincidental. He had to have inside information from somewheres.

You really can't be that retarded. Seriously. You might be able to apply for some financial help from the government for your low intelligence.

I can't believe I need to explain this but you're a dumb *** ... A video game making company did not use some advanced government hardware to trace the location of a random internet person and then send violent men to the person's house to assault them because of a list that seemed to be similar to the settings for World of Warcraft expansions!!

This is not a crappy Michael Bay movie and the government are not tracking you with little bugs hidden in your teeth. It just turns out that you're a poorly evolved advanced ape on planet Earth who likes to find patterns and reasons in things that aren't there. I really hope you don't have kids and don't work as a teacher or anything.
#231 Aug 10 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,826 posts
The Smallsword of Doom wrote:
Faolana wrote:
Or... he just lied that he faked it, because Blizzard sent some heavies to his house and threatened to knee-cap him with The Stoppable Force. Just sayin'.

Bit too coincidental. He had to have inside information from somewheres.

You really can't be that retarded. Seriously. You might be able to apply for some financial help from the government for your low intelligence.

I can't believe I need to explain this but you're a dumb *** ... A video game making company did not use some advanced government hardware to trace the location of a random internet person and then send violent men to the person's house to assault them because of a list that seemed to be similar to the settings for World of Warcraft expansions!!

This is not a crappy Michael Bay movie and the government are not tracking you with little bugs hidden in your teeth. It just turns out that you're a poorly evolved advanced ape on planet Earth who likes to find patterns and reasons in things that aren't there. I really hope you don't have kids and don't work as a teacher or anything.


Somebody's sarcasm detector isn't functioning.

Remember to change the batteries in your sarcasm detectors every 6 months.

Only you can prevent forum fires!
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#232 Aug 10 2011 at 6:51 PM Rating: Default
Muggle@#%^er
******
20,024 posts
Frankly, I'm highly disposed to think that this is fake (as I was then).

First of all, consider that a lot of this information (as for locations and races) is available in the lore already. So it isn't like the names are such that they should breed confindence.

Then remember that many of these names naturally go together. Of course you'd see all the Northrend areas together, for instance. Same with Draenor, the Emerald Dream, the Elemental Planes, and Argus.

The lowbie zones they selected were no-brainers as well. They picked the new races that seemed likely, tried splitting them into Horde/Alliance pairs and selected the home zones of those races as the starters. Since the two they chose (Pandaren and Worgen) didn't really fit with any particular theme, they just ended up with the hodgepodge expansion (planes).

Really, it wouldn't be difficult to do this for anyone who actually is crazy about the lore (meaning, much more so than I am, and I call myself a lore buff).

One of the things that gives it away, imo, is that they didn't construct Goblins as a new race. I seriously doubt that Blizzard hadn't planned to put them in at some point. Chris Metzen said in an interview early on that Goblins were definitely a race he'd like to see be playable at some point.

The order they put them in makes perfect sense as well. Stop to think about the lore. Well, you have a handful of expansion-worthy villains (even if only potentially). Burning Legion, Illidan, Azshara and Arthas were all well established lore characters who could serve well as major bosses for the expac.

Well, in lore terms, Arthas demonstrated he was stronger than Illidan as a DK, and now he's the LK. So obviously he'd come after Illidan. Azshara was said to be as strong as Archimonde, who was around the strength of Kel'Thuzad, who created the LK. So naturally you'd want her to come after the LK, since she should definitely be much stronger (his strength lying primarily in his army).

Naturally, the Burning Legion (probably with Sargeras) would be the final major expansion.

That really just left the Emerald Dream expansion. And considering the lore behind the Nightmare and the elemental lords, there was plenty to work with there. Not to mention Death Wing, who has connections to all these things.

The only thing someone making a list would need to debate was whether or not to include Old Gods in the calculation. But only Yogg-Saron was really known by name, and none of the fine details about him were known (afaik). It makes sense to leave him out of a list.

So yeah, I see absolutely no reason to think that this is real. Its accuracy is such that it only fuels my belief that it isn't. And, iirc, MMO-Champion confirmed that it was fake not long after it was "leaked" on the net.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#233 Aug 10 2011 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
****
4,297 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Frankly, I'm highly disposed to think that this is fake (as I was then).

First of all, consider that a lot of this information (as for locations and races) is available in the lore already. So it isn't like the names are such that they should breed confindence.

Then remember that many of these names naturally go together. Of course you'd see all the Northrend areas together, for instance. Same with Draenor, the Emerald Dream, the Elemental Planes, and Argus.

The lowbie zones they selected were no-brainers as well. They picked the new races that seemed likely, tried splitting them into Horde/Alliance pairs and selected the home zones of those races as the starters. Since the two they chose (Pandaren and Worgen) didn't really fit with any particular theme, they just ended up with the hodgepodge expansion (planes).

Really, it wouldn't be difficult to do this for anyone who actually is crazy about the lore (meaning, much more so than I am, and I call myself a lore buff).

One of the things that gives it away, imo, is that they didn't construct Goblins as a new race. I seriously doubt that Blizzard hadn't planned to put them in at some point. Chris Metzen said in an interview early on that Goblins were definitely a race he'd like to see be playable at some point.

The order they put them in makes perfect sense as well. Stop to think about the lore. Well, you have a handful of expansion-worthy villains (even if only potentially). Burning Legion, Illidan, Azshara and Arthas were all well established lore characters who could serve well as major bosses for the expac.

Well, in lore terms, Arthas demonstrated he was stronger than Illidan as a DK, and now he's the LK. So obviously he'd come after Illidan. Azshara was said to be as strong as Archimonde, who was around the strength of Kel'Thuzad, who created the LK. So naturally you'd want her to come after the LK, since she should definitely be much stronger (his strength lying primarily in his army).

Naturally, the Burning Legion (probably with Sargeras) would be the final major expansion.

That really just left the Emerald Dream expansion. And considering the lore behind the Nightmare and the elemental lords, there was plenty to work with there. Not to mention Death Wing, who has connections to all these things.

The only thing someone making a list would need to debate was whether or not to include Old Gods in the calculation. But only Yogg-Saron was really known by name, and none of the fine details about him were known (afaik). It makes sense to leave him out of a list.

So yeah, I see absolutely no reason to think that this is real. Its accuracy is such that it only fuels my belief that it isn't. And, iirc, MMO-Champion confirmed that it was fake not long after it was "leaked" on the net.

EVERYONE RELAX!
idig is on the case.
#234 Aug 10 2011 at 7:34 PM Rating: Good
****
5,599 posts
I'm still of the opinion that Pandaren aren't going to be a playable race, if only because that would deprive the other faction of a fan favorite race.

In addition, Mists of Pandaria is a title that implies that Pandaria will be the focus of the expansion. If it is, then it's obviously not going to be a starting zone. Sure, they could do an alternate zone for starting for the Pandarens, but that still leaves the issue above. Pandarens are virtually non-existant in lore, meaning that there's not much of a connection to either the Alliance or the Horde. Weak arguments can be made for both parties, but there's no telling how it would fall if they gave Pandarens to one or the other. Then there's still the issue of the other race for the faction that doesn't get it.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#235 Aug 11 2011 at 4:58 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,496 posts
IDrownFish wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that Pandaren aren't going to be a playable race, if only because that would deprive the other faction of a fan favorite race.


I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out yet. Or I just missed it.

BC gave us races
WotLK gave us a new class
Cata gave us races
MoP will probably be giving us a new class.

I don't follow lore so what role did the Pandaren portray? Since we already have an equal number of tanks and healers, it'll likely be another tank + healer class, or a pure DPS.
#236 Aug 11 2011 at 8:07 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
Raolan wrote:
IDrownFish wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that Pandaren aren't going to be a playable race, if only because that would deprive the other faction of a fan favorite race.


I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out yet. Or I just missed it.

BC gave us races
WotLK gave us a new class
Cata gave us races
MoP will probably be giving us a new class.

I don't follow lore so what role did the Pandaren portray? Since we already have an equal number of tanks and healers, it'll likely be another tank + healer class, or a pure DPS.


Pandaren are famous for being Brewmasters, but I can't see how they could make a Brewmaster class work. Do they heal by pouring alcohol down your throat? Do they DPS by getting the mob so drunk it falls down and hurts itself? Do they tank by getting themselves so drunk they no longer feel pain?

I see it as Pandaren are going to be a neutral playable race. You do the starting quests and at the end you get to choose your faction. That way both sides get the most asked for race in WoW.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#237 Aug 11 2011 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,443 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Pandaren are famous for being Brewmasters, but I can't see how they could make a Brewmaster class work. Do they heal by pouring alcohol down your throat? Do they DPS by getting the mob so drunk it falls down and hurts itself? Do they tank by getting themselves so drunk they no longer feel pain?


I'd play one... Hell, I am one.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#238 Aug 11 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Default
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Pandaren are famous for being Brewmasters, but I can't see how they could make a Brewmaster class work.
Upon completion of the “brewmaster” achievement, a hero class is unlocking: Panda/ninja. Dodge Tank, you just can't touch this!!
#239 Aug 11 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Good
****
5,599 posts
Raolan wrote:
IDrownFish wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that Pandaren aren't going to be a playable race, if only because that would deprive the other faction of a fan favorite race.


I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out yet. Or I just missed it.

BC gave us races
WotLK gave us a new class
Cata gave us races
MoP will probably be giving us a new class.


3 data points makes a stronger pattern than 2, sure, but that doesn't mean that the pattern is particularly strong itself.

What I'm saying is that, sure, there's a pattern there, but I doubt that Blizzard is specifically following it. They're adding things when they feel right, not because of a preordained schedule.

I think Blizzard would love to add a new class, but it would be a bitch to balance. Just look at the nightmare Death Knights created. I'm not saying it's not, nor that it's impossible, just that it's probably something Blizzard is dreading having to do.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#240 Aug 11 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
I still want my hero healing class. Smiley: frown

Something monkish or bardish... perhaps.

Please.

Smiley: flowers
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#241 Aug 11 2011 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
I still want my hero healing class. Smiley: frown

Something monkish or bardish... perhaps.

Please.

Smiley: flowers


A monk class could be a hero class with a tree for everything. One tree for tanking, one for healing, and one for melee DPS. You could even do something similar to the DK Frost tree and have certain talents that support dual fist weapons and others that support using a staff. Either way I think they would end up being slotted into agility leather (I know, I know, monks should wear cloth, but Blizzard isn't adding a bunch of cloth items that only 1 class can use) and using either hunter/druid staves or shaman/rogue fist weapons.

Or they could make it where you DW fist weapons for DPS and use a Stave for tanking, although another parry heavy tank may not be the best thing.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#242 Aug 11 2011 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
I just want a caster hero class period. I'd prefer one that was a hybrid like DK's are, but as long as I can DPS I'll be happy. Sorry, but a hero class with 3 healing trees would bite.
#243 Aug 11 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,443 posts
Healing someone to death doesn't work so well. Counterproductive, even.

I'm guessing they'll make a ranged class with the ability to heal since the previous hero class was a melee class with the ability to tank.

Wish they'd put a reactive melee healer into the mix. They should have made the Death Knight one when they started splitting the trees up into roles. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's a melee class that heals by hurting stuff. Completely and insanely imbalanced in anything resembling PvP (look up Disciple of Khaine and Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online), but very fun to play.

Wouldn't have been hard to make the Blood tree a healing tree. Frost could be tanking, like everyone did anyway and Unholy could be the DPS tree.

But noooooo...
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#244 Aug 11 2011 at 5:24 PM Rating: Decent
**
432 posts
I think some more esoteric classes would be interesting, like the Dancer, Puppetmaster or Bard from FFXI. Or maybe something more mundane like Logistics officer, Supply clerk, Bean Counter, Cook, Farmer, etc. Can't move and feed an army without having all of the support people....


#245 Aug 11 2011 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
I dunno, I prefer the way WoW handles support. Every class brings something via support to the table, instead of having 1 or 2 classes dedicated to it. Granted I never played a bard in FFXI, but I just don't understand how it could be fun to sit there and constantly buff people. I'd get bored.
#246 Aug 11 2011 at 5:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
If there was a buff/support class I'd speculate it'd be set up more along the lines of the hunter with it's various pets. A class that could bring a large amount of different buffs or utility spells to the table could be useful in catering to a smaller/casual 10-man raiding/RBG group.

Edited, Aug 11th 2011 4:44pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#247 Aug 11 2011 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Mazra wrote:
I'm guessing they'll make a ranged class with the ability to heal

Like a Ranger that can switch to shooting cupid arrows into the backs of their group mates to heal them? I'd play that!
#248 Aug 11 2011 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
****
5,599 posts
I would just want a real, honest to God support class. This is, of course, something that will never happen in WoW because the game's model and the devs' paradigm doesn't support this.

My vision of a support class is a class that makes others do better at what they do.

Like, a support damage class would be someone who improves the damage of others. In a 5 man group, you normally have 3 dps. With 2 dps and a support class, the support class would make the 2 dps hit hard enough to make up for the lack of a third dps. Basically, the support class would, through the other dps's increased output, create enough dps so that total dps would be equal to an additional dps.

Gear/playstyle could affect this, but I think this would be a better way to balance a support class without making them mandatory.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#249 Aug 11 2011 at 9:56 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,443 posts
So, like a Vanilla Paladin/Druid/Shaman?
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#250 Aug 11 2011 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,369 posts
Enchanters!!! Give me enchanters!
#251 Aug 11 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,443 posts
MentalFrog wrote:
Enchanters!!! Give me enchanters!


ENCHANTMENT! Smiley: drool2


I wonder how many gets it.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 28 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (28)