Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 5 Next »
Reply To Thread

Regarding the Sale of IGEFollow

#102 Jul 13 2007 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
dagros wrote:
Why didn't you mention that Brock Pierce was CEO at Affinity media?
That's pretty common knowledge amongst anyone who'd care at this point.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#103 Jul 13 2007 at 11:25 AM Rating: Decent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Oh, and he ain't CEO no more anyway.
Quote:
Affinity Media is undergoing a number of major changes, including the recent sale of IGE and the addition of Wowhead, another leading MMO gamer site. As a part of this transition, Brock Pierce has decided to resign his position as CEO of Affinity Media. Brock felt it was the best time to step down and bring in a new CEO to take the company into its next stage. Steve Bannon, Chairman of the Board of Genius Products, is the new interim CEO of Affinity Media. Steve brings a wealth of experience that will serve the company well moving forward. Brock will remain a trusted advisor to and a board member of Affinity Media and will also be pursuing new business endeavors. The company thanks Brock for his service and leadership and we look forward to continued success under Steve's guidance.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#104REDACTED, Posted: Jul 13 2007 at 7:34 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) When asked in this thread if Brock Pierce was involved with affinity media. This sites owner, replied and said he didn't know how big Brock Pierces share was.
#105 Jul 14 2007 at 12:51 AM Rating: Decent
****
6,730 posts
dagros wrote:
When asked in this thread if Brock Pierce was involved with affinity media. This sites owner, replied and said he didn't know how big Brock Pierces share was.


What does how many shares he has, have to do with if he is the CEO or not?
#106 Jul 14 2007 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Alla was asked if Brock Pierce owned Affinity Media. Alla's answer was:
Quote:
Yes Brock is one of the owners of Affinity. Don't ask me what percentage he owns, because I have no idea
Alla answered exactly what he was asked.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#107 Jul 22 2007 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
I'm not sure if I'll get a response to this. However, I felt it was worth posting this, mostly in the search of answers. I find claims like "You've effectively made everyone who ******* at you earlier look like a complete ****." completely misguided, seeing as how I *don't* believe that ZAM or Affinity (whichever, they're mostly the same thing from what I understand) *actually* sold IGE. IGE is known for saying a lot of things that, well, aren't true, and being very vague and misleading.

http://www.wanderinggoblin.com/literaturedetail.php?id=46

There are some interesting parts of this article I'd like to quote:

"In one interview, to which we referred above, John (Maffei) clearly stated:

'And while we’re not releasing the details, it’s common knowledge now that IGE is no longer a part of Affinity Media, that we’re no longer in that business.'

Okay, so that's where the selling of IGE bit came from. I understand that, however:

"In an interview that took place on June 22, 2007, Affinity Media's CEO Brock Pierce doesn't so much as mention the sale of IGE. Since the interview took place at a major industry conference, one would think that this would be a major topic of discussion, but Pierce doesn't utter a word about it. Nor does Pierce even hint that Affinity is no longer in the virtual goods business.

In fact, he rather strongly indicates the opposite. In a separate write up about the same interview, the reporter gives details about Pierce's comments. In the interview, which took place at The Virtual Goods Summit, Pierce indicated...

Wait a minute...what the hell was Affinity Media's CEO doing at the definitive virtual goods conference? Affinity Media sold IGE, right? They're out of the whole gold-selling, virtual goods business, right?"

Then it goes on to quote Pierce, who generally just talks about the business and competition and such. That's not relevant here, but what IS relevant is all the talk about how Alla's has saved face because the company that owns them (Affinity) has sold IGE. Maybe they did sell IGE, however it sounds *very* obvious from several interviews and such (most that are on the link I posted above) that they are still most definitely involved in the sale of virtual goods (coins and other items).

Even further on in the article I found this:

"IGE has been ’supposedly’ sold off by Affinity Media. They used FUD when they purchased OGaming. They used FUD when they purchased Allakhazam. Just some more FUD - rest assured IGE/Affinity Media are still very connected.

The FUD doesn’t end. Remember - I sold OGaming to IGE, while they claimed it was ‘RPG Holdings’ that purchased it. I’ve experienced it firsthand. I talked to another contact - it is a bit byzantine (how the site was ’sold’), but as it stands, IGE US LLC’s parent company is Affinity Media. Certain properties may have been sold, but not the company itself." - Ahmed Farooq, former IGE employee.

Maybe that's not true, maybe Affinity DID sell IGE (or set up one of their ingenious fake companies to "buy" IGE so that they don't "own" it) but I still believe that they are involved in the sale of virtual goods. In that case, even if Affinity didn't "own" IGE, if they're still involved in selling virtual items (even as another website that they might own), doesn't that make this still a pretty awful turn of events?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have no grudge against Alla's, and my aim is not to insult anyone. I just find that the people who are claiming that they were right all along and that everyone who raised a stink about this issue was a "****" might be a little misguided. I'm just looking for a bit of information.

Also, I apologize if I'm bumping a terribly old thread.



#108 Jul 24 2007 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
CheesySnax the Irrelevant wrote:
Wait a minute...what the hell was Affinity Media's CEO doing at the definitive virtual goods conference? Affinity Media sold IGE, right? They're out of the whole gold-selling, virtual goods business, right?"
Why wouldn't he be at the conference? Presumably he was there because, whether he's in it right now or not, who knows much more about the market than Brock Pierce?

Besides which, no matter how you slice it, virtual goods are a part of the MMOG scene and increasingly in a legitimate sense. SOE has played with it with Everquest 2, one of the head Turbine/LoTRO guys was interviewed saying that he only expects it to become a standard part of the market down the road and Asian gaming companies are already involved. Look at the speakers for the summit -- none of them are anyone you'd say was exceptionally shady. Mainly people representing "Sims" style virtual worlds where this sort of "cash for virtual property" is expected to explode.

Wait... Sims-style virtual worlds... Asian MMORPGs which have legimate venues for selling virtual property... Affinity Media continuing to have a "virtual asset exchange business in South Korea"? Jinkies! I think that WoWGoblin guy cracked the code!!! Affinity Media isn't so much in the "WoW Gold" business these days but they are pursuing the profitable and legitimate virtual goods markets in other sectors of the gaming market/world!

Quite the conspiracy Smiley: tinfoilhat

Edited, Jul 25th 2007 2:15pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#109 Jul 25 2007 at 10:23 AM Rating: Excellent
**
299 posts
I think Jophiel pretty much hit the nail on the head, here. But regardless, I'd be happy to answer any specific question you may have in an official capacity as a representative of Affinity Media, which technically I am.
____________________________
Come visit me at Wowhead.com.
#110 Aug 04 2007 at 4:32 PM Rating: Good
****
4,632 posts
Could you comment on this section of the wanderinggoblin article?

Quote:
I mentioned earlier receiving a document entitled “Restated Certificate of Incorporation of Affinity Media, INC.” I also received a second document restating some of the basic data. (Be advised, the previous two links download the docs). They were filed in the state of Delaware on May 29, 2007. Let me tell you, this 24 page ditty isn't exactly a page turner. It's as dry as your Aunt Maggie's pork chop dinner. It's boring, it deals mostly with corporate rules and the issuance of stock and other whatnot. Dullsville.

That is, until you get to the middle of the document. On page 12, IGE's stock issuances are addressed. It marks the beginning of the rather copious use of those three letters. On page 17, the document addresses an IGE loan agreement. On Page 20, IGE is simply defined as “a Delaware limited liability company.”

Hmmm. IGE mentioned again and again in the Affinity Media document. That's certainly curious.

Section 6(a)(iii), which begins on page 15, particularly held of my interest, in that the document begins to talk about Affinity Media's subsidiaries, and the various interactions in which they have engaged. IGE's relationship with Yantis Enterprises is mentioned, for example. This fascinating section continues on to page 16, where the financial relationships between IGE and various known Affinity subsidiaries is specifically laid out. Among the companies mentioned is “Itemmania.com, Ltd.” (which is clearly mentioned in Pierce's little bon voyage email) and companies like Allakhazam, along with several individuals.

In fact, section 6(a)(iii) mentions IGE no less than eight times.

The document details a number of the more substantial business deals in which Affinity has recently been engaged. In so doing, IGE is certainly featured prominently. What is most curious about the document is what it doesn't say. It makes no mention of the supposed “sale” of IGE. Not one word. If, in fact, IGE was sold in April as various company spokesmen have claimed, why is this not mentioned in a June corporate filing?

Even more telling: not a single indication of stock transferrs -- divesting of IGE to someone else -- is even hinted at. Those kinds of transactions are mentioned repeatedly in the document, but nothing seems to indicate that IGE was divested. Nothing. And it's the exact kind of thing you'd expect to find if, in fact, IGE had been sold.


I mean, this seems extremely fishy even to me. Perhaps there's something I'm missing out on, I certainly don't have much in the way of knowledge of business deals.
#111 Aug 08 2007 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
Jeebus H Christ, this still being talked about?

Smiley: deadhorse
#112 Sep 02 2007 at 7:35 AM Rating: Default
Of course people are concerned about this. Not everyone likes to close their eyes and refuse what might be the truth.

The owners of this site should be really happy for one thing. Your subscribers are a loyal flock of sheep.
#113 Sep 04 2007 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
dagros wrote:
Of course people are concerned about this. Not everyone likes to close their eyes and refuse what might be the truth.

The owners of this site should be really happy for one thing. Your subscribers are a loyal flock of sheep.


Honestly, when I see Allah selling gold/gil/whatever other virtual currency there is, I'll get worried.

Until then, I'm good.
1 2 3 4 5 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)