The World of Warcraft feels much more real with all the intermittent events that take place. Some are holiday celebrations, others occur on the weekends or at certain times of the day, but they all add an element of intrigue and life to this "world."
Calendar Events and Holidays
- On December 31st and January 1st, the New Year is celebrated with fireworks and drinks.
- The Lunar Festival occurs in late January to commemorate the defeat of the demi-god Omen, and features a scavenger hunt to locate all of the druid elders around the world.
- In February, Love is in the Air, as the goblin cupid Peddlefeet pulls the heartstrings of the people of Azeroth, and candy is exchanged between those who care for one another.
- Noblegarden occurs at the same time as Easter in the real world, and colored eggs with candy inside are hidden throughout the starting areas.
- In the last full week of May, Children's Week remembers the orphans of the wars and allows players the chance to adopt an orphan for a few days to show them the world outside their orphanage.
- The end of June marks Midsummer Fire Festival, featuring all manners of flame-oriented festivities.
- The Harvest Festival occurs during the final week of September to remember fallen heroes such as Uther Lightbringer and Grom Hellscream.
- Brewfest is a Dwarven holiday during early October that celebrates all things alcoholic.
- During Hallow's End, players can trick-or-treat or attempt to defeat the nefarious Headless Horseman.
- The Feast of Winter Veil concludes the year with gift-giving by Great-father Winter's tree, throwing snowballs, and the rescue of Metzen the Reindeer.
- The Darkmoon Faire visits one of three areas for one week each month. The Faire boasts all kinds of simple carnival games, and allows you to complete decks of cards that are scattered throughout the world.
- The Fishing Extravaganza occurs every weekend in Booty Bay for fishermen to put their talents to the test. The required fishing skill is 130 (225 is better) and a neutral or higher reputation with Booty Bay.
- Every 3 hours, a treasure chest is placed in the center of the arena in Stranglethorn Vale. The champion of the arena that puts down his foes and successfully loots the contents gets the treasure inside.
- Elemental Invasions occur occasionally in Silithus, Un'goro Crater, Winterspring and Azshara. During these, an elemental lord will appear with many minions in a select region of the zone and wreak havoc on the area until adventurers defeat the leader.
There are a few landmark events that will only ever occur once on a server. These represent monumental changes to the game, usually revealing the opening of new content.
- The Opening of Ahn'Qiraj marks the recognition of the Horde and Alliance's awareness of the great evil that is lurking in Silithus behind the Scarab Wall, and their willingness to put aside differences and deal with the impending silithid invasion. Opening the Scarab Wall will happen only once, after which players may enter Ahn'Qiraj's temple or the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj. It takes a lengthy quest series to begin this event and a server-wide effort to meet the war supplies needed first. For the first 24 hours after the gates have been opened, massive armies ravage across Silithus.
- The Zombie Invasion - To herald his arrival, The Lich King has sent floating citadels to all corners of Azeroth and Outlands, spreading his foul plague to decimate the cities and cull the populations in preparation for his takeover.
Many zones have scripted occurences that happen occasionally, usually about once per hour. Most of these events are either in major cities or in one of the zones of Outland.
For example, Honor Hold in Hellfire Peninsula is sometimes besieged by infernals from the Burning Legion. Most of these events have little or no actual effect on the game and are designed for flavor. One notable exception is the Bash'ir Landing Raid that occurs every 3 hours in Blade's Edge Mountains, and actually rewards players for participating.
This page last modified 2008-11-01 15:55:56.