Howling Fjord is one of the two "starter zones" for Northrend. This zone contains a wide variety of questing hubs and an instance hub known as Utgarde Keep.
Howling Fjord will be a second stop for most Alliance players as the most obvious way of getting to Northrend will be by taking a boat from Stormwind directly to Borean Tundra. But if you want to take a trip to Howling Fjord first you just need to take the boat from Menethil Harbor which will take you to Valgarde, the Alliance Outpost there.
If you are looking for Horde information, you can head over to Wordaen's Horde Guide to Howling Fjord, 68-72 which cover the Howling Fjord for Horde players.
- Pick up Hell Has Frozen Over... on the docks and turn it into Vice Admiral Keller.
- Accept If Valgarde Falls... from Vice Admiral Keller
- Pick up the Flight Path and then head to the Inn, train any professions to Grand Master if you want.
- If you have Cooking high enough pick up the Northern Cooking quest in the inn. You'll complete this one while you level
- Go Slightly north now and kill Dragonflayer Invader x12 as they come towards the town.
- Turn in If Valgarde Falls... and accept Rescuing the Rescuers.
- Now go slightly north of where you did the last quest across the tiny river and click on the sparkly harpoons to rescue the rescuers.
- Go back and turn that quest in, a bunch of quests should have unlocked nearby.
- Go around and pick up Prisoners of Wyrmskull, Into the World of Spirits, The Human League, The Path to Payback
- Go even further north than last time and start killing Dragonflayers for their keys and release 3 prisoners from their cages.
- Now let's take a quick dive into the lake east of Wyrmskull Village and pick up the reagent pouch, while you're down here pick up Daggercap Divin' and pick up Valgarde Supply Crate x10 and turn it in.
- Now let's take a quick stop first house on the right and turn in The Human League and pick up Zedd's Probably Dead
- Head over to the bridge on the other side of the village and you'll find Zedd hanging from a hook, turn the quest in and pick up the next one.
- Now take a quick u-turn and head to 56, 56 and pick up the quest Fresh Legs
- Lets run to the northeast corner of the village and turn in Fresh Legs to get the quest Into Utgarde! (Only accept this if you plan on running Utgarde Keep) You can also pick up Disarmament if you want to run the instance also.
- You should have the following quests: Dragonflayer Battle Plans, Locating the Mechanism, The Echo of Ymiron.
- First thing you should do is head back to Wyrmskull Village and go to 60, 52. Here use your Incense Burner and enter the building, wait a bit while the ghosts do scripted speech. For fun and only if you want to see something awesome after completing the quest go outside the house and you should see the Lich King if you go near him he'll instantly kill you but he has a great scripted event for you I really suggest doing it at least once. If you don't click of the Echos of Ymiron buff and let's continue!
- Now just step outside and near the harpoon guns to the east should be Dragonflayer Harpooners, kill them for their Harpoon Control Mechanism.
- Remember where we found Zedd earlier? Let's head over there and go into the cave, kill Yanis the Mystic and loot the Dragonflayer Battle Plans off the wall.
- Head back to Valgarde, turn all the quests in and pick up any follows ups and quests.
- You should now have the following quests in your log: To Westguard Keep!, Anguish of Nifflevar, Meet Lieutenant Icehammer..., The Explorers' League Outpost.
- You now have several choices of where to go but you are finished with Valgarde (Well mostly but for a few returns we might make)! Hooray!
- Now to get out of Valgarde, head out of the northwest exit and go up and around Utgarde to get to the next little camp outside Nifflevar at 65, 47.
- Here you can turn in Meet Lieutenant Icehammer... and pick up Drop It then Rock It!.
- Head north to Baleheim and go to the center of town at 65, 40 where the fire pit is. Use the Alliance Banner and defend it against 3 mobs that will spawn one at a time.
- Head back to Lieutenant Icehammer and turn the quest in.
- Head south into Nifflevar and head to 65, 57.
- Return to Lieutenant Icehammer and turn the quest in.
- Pick up Let's Go Surfing Now
- Head to 65, 57 pull the lever to go Harpoon Surfing! Cowabunga Dude!
- Should have landed you in Valgarde again, Turn in both Let's Go Surfing Now
- We are now done with Nifflevar, let's head off to Explorer's League Outpost.
- Head out of Valgarde the same way we did last time and head to Explorer's League Outpost which is loc 75, 65.
- Turn in The Explorers' League Outpost and pick up the follow up Problems on the High Bluff.
- Speak with Walt turn in the quest you just got, pick up the follow up Tools to Get the Job Done.
- Also pick up Trust is Earned from Hidalgo the Master Falconer.
- Go find a Fjord Grub from under a loose rock and feed it to one of the Falcons in the cage.
- Turn the quest in, and pick up the follow up The Ransacked Caravan
- Go turn over some rocks to pick up about 10 Fjord Grubs, then head down and capture some turkeys by targeting them and using Trained Rock Falcon. Ambushers might spawn and you'll have to kill them.
- Turn in The Ransacked Caravan, and pick up Falcon Versus Hawk.
- Go collect some Fjord Grubs again, and send your hawk at a falcon. They come in pairs of twos so you can send a hawk to one and kill the other yourself as you can't use the cage in combat.
- Turn that in and pick up There Exists No Honor Among Birds.
- Goto 76.6, 67.9 and use your Trained Rock Falcon. Fly the falcon down to the eggs on the cliff and "scavenge" the eggs.
- Head back and turn it in, that ends that chain.
- Now let's head north, goto 79, 49 and pick up Out of My Element?.
- Now go into the little mining area and kill mobs as you work your way towards 79 45.57 where you'll find a small bucket with the Building Tools.
- Finish up killing the mobs for Out of My Element? and turn it in.
|Explorer's League Outpost
- Head back to the Explorer's League Outpost and turn the quest into Walt.
- Pick up We Can Rebuild It and We Have the Technology.
- First let's pick up the Large Barrel, head to Nifflevar and you'll find barrels throughout the village.
- Next go to Balehiem at 63 39 you should find the Industrial Strength Rope.
- Don't leave, keep killing mobs until a Steel Ribbing drops.
- Time to make a quick trip to Valgarde, speak with McGoyver and get the Dark Iron Ingots from him and ask for a ride back to the Outpost.
- Head North and start killing shoveltusks until a Pristine Shoveltusk Hide drops.
- Now turn in both quests and pick up Iron Rune Constructs and You: Rocket Jumping
- Right click on the empty bench and get into the golem suit. Click on the first ability to launch yourself into the air and when you land dismiss the vehicle and turn the quest in.
- Pick up the next quest, get back in the suit again. Walk over to the wagon with crystals and use the first ability. Once done dismiss and turn it in.
- Pick up Iron Rune Constructs and You: The Bluff, walk over to the rug and use first ability on Lebronski to complete the quest, dismiss and turn it in.
- Grab Lightning Infused Relics and The Delicate Sound of Thunder from Walt now.
- Start heading down to the Excavation Site by using the rocket launching pads and go towards the cave at 73, 70 and goto the back to listen to the Titans to complete that quest.
- Now continue running around gathering data from the crystals.
- Once done, head back to Explorer's League Outpost.
- Yay! We're done here too!
- We have some running around to do before we actually goto Kamagua.
- Head to the Ancient Lift on the west side of the zone and pick up the quest The Dead Rise! @ 40, 60
- Now goto Shield Hill and collect the clues on the ground in the graves.
- Now head back and turn the quest in @ 40, 60, pick up the follow up Elder Atuik and Kamagua.
- Hop onto the Ancient Lift and take a ride down and go into Kamagua and turn in the quest you just picked up.
- Pick up the follow-up Grezzix Spindlesnap and the quest Feeding the Survivors.
- Don't forget to pickup the flightpath!
- Now go outside and pick up Travel to Moa'ki Harbor.
- It is time to go visit Grezzix Spindlesnap, head off the shore of Kamagua and you'll see him on his little boat @ 23, 63
- Turn the quest in and pick up the follow up and then speak to Lou the Cabin Boy for a ride down to Scalawag Point.
- Head to the little tent and turn in Street "Cred" to "Silvermoon" Harry.
- Grab the follow up "Scoodles" and dive into the water, we are goin' whale huntin'. Head south and you should see "Scoodles" swimming around in the water, kill him and bring the Sin'dorei Scrying Crystal back to "Silvermoon" Harry.
- Now you should be able to pick up 4 follow ups from Harry, get them all. The Ancient Armor of the Kvaldir, The Frozen Heart of Isuldof, The Lost Shield of the Aesirites, The Staff of Storm's Fury.
- Go outside of the tent and over by the fire and pick up Forgotten Treasure.
- Dive off into the water again and go pick up the two treasures.
- Pick up Gambling Debt from Taruk.
- Now head over to the boat and talk to Scuttle Frostprow @ 37, 79 and pick up Swabbin' Soap
- Now head up to 31, 78 and kill Big Roy for his blubber and then head back to Scuttle Frostprow and turn it in, make sure to stay by to watch a funny scripted event.
- Next goto the cave @ 33, 75 and go all the way to the back, behind the big bear and get the The Frozen Heart of Isuldof.
- Now goto the boat @ 35, 64 and wait for Abdul the Insane to go to the top floor of the boat and sneak into the cargo hold, make your way to the bottom and get The Staff of Storm's Fury.
- Head back to Scalawag Point and speak with Alanya @ 36, 82 and take a ride on Harry's Bomber.
- Once the bomber lands make your way to the bottom of the boat and ninja your The Ancient Armor of the Kvaldir.
- Hop back on the bomber and it'll take you back to Scalawag Point.
- Head to 37, 75 and wait for the boat, head to the top of the boat and turn in The Lost Shield of the Aesirites.
- Let's head back and turn in all the quests we have from the artifacts. Head to 40, 60.
- Turn the 4 quests in and pick up the follow up A Return to Resting.
- Time to head back to Shield Hill, use the Bundle of Vrykul Artifacts to return the artifacts to their respective graves.
- Fengir is located at 57,77
- Rodin is located at 59,76
- Isuldof is located at 59,79
- Wodin is at 62,80
- Head back to 40, 60 and turn the quest in. Pick up the follow up Return to Atuik.
- Head down to Kamagua and turn it in and get yer sexy sexy trinkets!
- Float your way back down the mountain and head back to the Steel Gate and turn in the quests you have and pick up the follow-ups.
- You should have been able to pick up In Worg's Clothing, it's time to head back to Rivenwood. Goto 28, 9 and use your Worg Disguise and go speak with the worg named Ulfang to turn in the quest. Pick up the follow up Brother Betrayers.
- Pick up Eyes of the Eagle
- Head to 41.4, 37.7 at the base of the waterfall.
- Right click on one of the eggs and Talonshrike will fly down, kill him and get his eyes.
- Head back and turn the quest in.
- Pick up Alpha Worg
- Head to 26, 8 and look for Garwal. Kill him too.
- Head to Steel Gate and turn the quest in.
- Head to 44.5 57.5 and turn in Report to Scout Knowles, pick up the follow up Mission: Eternal Flame.
- Head east and chuck torches at the tanks.
- Southwest Plague Tank: 48, 56
- Northwest Plague Tank: 48, 53
- Northeast Plague Tank: 51, 50
- Southeast Plague Tank: 52, 58
- Head back and turn the quest in.
- Pick up Mission: Package Retrieval.
- Head east into Halgrind and go to 51, 54 and pick up the package.
- Go back and turn it in.
- Pick up Mission: Forsaken Intel and go back to Westguard Keep to turn it in. (In the Inn)
- Pick up the follow up Absholutely... Thish Will Work!.
- Go into the keep and into the jail and use Peppy's Special Mix on the Vrykul and watch the fun that happens.
- Go back and turn it in.
- Get the follow up You Tell Him ...Hic! and go into the keep and give Captain Adams the bad news.
- Grab Mission: Plague This! and head out to the courtyard.
- Head back to the keep and turn the quest in.
- Pick up Operation: Skornful Wrath
- Go outside the keep and pick up Everything Must Be Ready
- Now let's finish up the last quests for this area. Head to 24, 32 on the Chillmere Coast and turn in Where is Explorer Jaren?.
- Grab And You Thought Murlocs Smelled Bad!
- Now it is time to visit Skorn!
- Head to 44, 26 and use your Westguard Command Insignia and turn in the quest.
- Pick up the quests Burn Skorn, Burn!, Gruesome, But Necessary, and Towers of Certain Doom.
- As you are doing the rest of the quests use The Sergeant's Machete on the corpses of the Vrykul.
- For Burn Skorn, Burn! you need to use Sergeant's Torch on the certain buildings.
- Northwest Longhouse: 43.5, 28.5
- Northeast Longhouse: 46, 28
- Barracks: 46, 30
- For Towers of Certain Doom you need to find the buildings to mark and mark them.
- Northwest Tower: 44, 30
- East Tower: 46, 32
- Southwest Tower: 43, 36
- Southeast Tower: 46, 36
- Finish dismembering the vrykul and summon the guy again if he disappeared for whatever reason and turn in the quests.
- Pick up the follow up All Hail the Conqueror of Skorn!
- While killing Vrykul a Vrykul Scroll of Ascension should have dropped, use it and get the quest Stop the Ascension!.
- Head Westguard Keep and turn these quests in and pick up the follow ups Of Traitors and Treason, Dealing With Gjalerbron, and Of Keys and Cages.
- Ignore Of Traitors and Treason for now, do it when you decide to head out to Dragonblight.
- Now head up to Gjalerbron, Location 36, 19.
- Start killing all the locals for one of the quests and unlocking the cages with the keys you gathered while killing.
- If you're able to solo or find a group to kill the big elite roaming around do it, and use the Gjalerbron Attack Plans to get a quest.
- Head back to Westguard Keep and turn in the quests, pick up any follow ups there. In Service to the Light, Sleeping Giants, Necro Overlord Mezhen, and The Frost Wyrm and its Master.
- Head back to Gjalerbron.
- There are several platforms in Gjalerbron each one has the Deathless Watchers and Putrid Wights you need. Go and kill them.
- Head to the platform at 38, 12 and kill Necro Overlord Mezhen.
- If you did the group quest earlier go over to the platform at 37, 7
- Kill Wyrmcaller Vile and get the horn from his corpse.
- If you think you can solo it summon the Frost Wyrm with the horn and kill it, otherwise have a group ready to tackle it.
- Now head into the big building built into the side of the mountain and kill Queen Angerboda, stick around to see the Lich King!
- Head back to Westguard Keep and turn these quests in.
- You are now done with Westguard Keep!
- Head to Fort Wildervar, it starts at about 59, 17
- Don't forget to grab the flightpath!
- Walk around and turn in Everything Must Be Ready and pick up any quests you can find.
- You should have I'll Try Anything!, Preying Upon the Weak, Down to the Wire, and The Yeti Next Door.
- Hop into the water and open up the Water Plants down there, keep doing it until you have the 7 barbfish.
- As you are roaming around the area keep an eye out for traps, open them up and get your trapped prey.
- Also while going around pick up Spotted Hippogryph Down which are feathers lying on the ground.
- Head to 65, 12 and kill the rams to get 4 ram meats.
- Go over to 59, 14 and head into the mines.
- At the end there is Shatterhorn, combine your 4 meats into a Giant Yeti Meal and lay it down in front of him and kill him.
- Run outside and turn in the 2 quests you just did.
- Pick up any follow ups and there should be some new quests open to you now get them. The Enigmatic Frost Nymphs, The Book of Runes, The One That Got Away, and March of the Giants.
- Go to 61, 23 and turn in the quest The Enigmatic Frost Nymphs. Pick up the follow up Spirits of the Ice.
- If you haven't finished Preying Upon the Weak and Down to the Wire go around and finish them up.
- Go back to Fort Wildervar and turn them in. Pick up We Call Him Steelfeather.
- Head over to the mines from earlier and look at the sky for Steelfeather target her and use your Feathered Charm to learn her secret.
- Go back and turn it in.
- Head to 66, 23 and head east. Kill Stonecallers and Binders and collect the chapters from the corpses. Then combine 3 of them to form The Book of Runes.
- Jump back into Caldemere Lake and goto the sunken boat at 64, 19.
- Use the Fresh Barbfish Bait to get Frostfin to spawn, kill him and go back to Wildervar to turn in the quests.
- If you've followed this guide so far you should have just gotten the achievement "I've Toured the Fjord".
- Pick up Mastering the Runes.
- Get the follow up of The Rune of Command.
- Go back to Giant's Run again and find a yellow stone giant and use Rune of Command
- Head to 72, 25 and kill Binder Murdis.
- Head back and turn it in.
- Congratulations! You are now done with Howling Fjord.
Now to decide where to go next, if this is your first zone in my opinion you should do Borean Tundra (You can use Borean Tundra Quest Guide). Or you can head to Dragonblight or even Grizzly Hills.
This page last modified 2009-06-07 12:28:31.