A filmed Dev Diary presents how world content was created for EQNL.
They needed to create a different world than in the previous games: a giant world that could be explored to find new areas. But such content cannot be handmade or the content would become stale very fast.
They first created concept arts, then field guides with details of everything fitting in the environment, then created individual concept pieces based on those (mountains, trees, rocks, grass). The next step was to create a tool with procedures and rules to generate content automatically.
Five types of very different regions were created:
- Hot volcanic area (inspired by Lavastorm)
- Cool forest (Qeynos hills)
- Arid desert (Desert of Ro)
- Colorful deciduous forest (Faydark)
- Snowy (Everfrost).. and you'll even get a sneak peak of that one!
Here is the video!
Guilhemette "Whilhelmina" Giacopazzi