The January content teaser page is live, listing some of what is coming January 28th.
The next content update for Guild Wars 2 is coming next Monday, January 28th, but the teaser page for the patch has already been pushed live on the official website. Much of the content listed on the teaser page has already been announced in multiple blog posts by ArenaNet as well as livestreams with the developers and interviews since, though there still managed to be a few surprises.
- Temple of the Silent Storm Week -- January 28-February 4 will host the 1v1 paid tournaments played on Temple of the Silent Storm. During this week the 1v1 paid tournaments will completely replace the standard eight-team setup. After February 4th, paid tournaments will revert back to the eight-team setup and TotSS will be added to both the paid and free tournament rotations.
- Improved Achievement System -- Every day of the week will have a different set of daily achievements "to add variety and encourage you to explore the open world." In addition there will be a new achievement tracker UI to easily track your progress.
- Achievement Laurels -- The new account-wide currency earned from completing daily and monthly achievements. The currency can be used on over 100 new rewards including the new Ascended gear and Infusions.
- New Utility Infusions and Ascended Amulets -- Five new Utility Infusions and 30 different Ascended Amulets that are purchased with Laurels.
- Upgrades and Improvements -- Enhanced performance in WvW, tweaks to the dynamic level adjustment system, and UI improvements. No specifics, but will be outlined in the release notes on the 28th.
- New Items in the Gem Store -- From the Revamped Box o' Fun to Riding Brooms to Baby Quaggan Backpacks.
In addition to these updates is the Flame and Frost: Prelude story. The Prelude is the prologue to a multi-stage narrative that "will bring big changes to Guild Wars 2 in the months to come."
"The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and Norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy…"
Matt "Mattsta" Adams