Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Game of Thrones: Season 3 (HBO)Follow

#27 Apr 14 2013 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,852 posts
The music during the credits, right after the Jaime thing, threw me for a loop. Until I paid attention to the lyrics. Still sounded weird to happen right after...

Edited, Apr 14th 2013 10:26pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#28 Apr 14 2013 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
TirithRR wrote:
The music during the credits, right after the Jamie thing, threw me for a loop. Until I paid attention to the lyrics. Still sounded weird to happen right after...


I appreciated the morbid/ironic humor of it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if it sounded of the period.

Don't like modern music mixing in there and ruining my immersion.
#29 Apr 14 2013 at 9:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Nadenu wrote:
Ok, that thing with Jaime tonight - did NOT see that coming. Ow.


Someone hasn't read the books now, have they? Oh the spoilerific shenanigans that could ensue!
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#30 Apr 14 2013 at 11:00 PM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
I kind of expected him to lose his hand, only because it would be hilarious.

And who has time to read real books? I've used up way too many hours reading LNs for just two series (SAO, Index). I now realize that I must have subconsciously kept myself from reading books because I'd never get anything done.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#31 Apr 15 2013 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
This episode would have been fantastic even if nothing happened except during Podrick's scenes.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#32 Apr 15 2013 at 12:57 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Quote:
Theon's torture was nasty, and I found it horribly abrupt. Ok, so he's ****** off all the Greyjoys and all their people. Why don't they stick a sword in him and bedone with the Greatly Despised Disappointment?


Hm? It's the Boltons that have him, isn't it?

Quote:
Well, he did have manacles on.


Half-starved too, probably, and going against someone in full plate. Not really the time to complain about the potryal of her fighting prowess anyway, really, seeing as she was the champion of an entire army.

Quote:
The lesson with Ned was that cliche honorbound "heroes" just died a lot in a realistic fantasy world.


Everyone dies a lot in a realistic feudal society. Ned was what, 50 when he died? He won a civil war. Yeah, he dies because of his insistence on honour (well, sort of - he dies because he's less good at scheming/ he trusts the wrong person, he does at least give it a shot), but for fifty years he didn't. It's not like a laser guided missile locks on to you the second you put honour before practicality.

Similarly, Joffrey's still alive, but it's clear that his behaviour isn't at all wise.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#33 Apr 15 2013 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
Kavekk wrote:
Similarly, Joffrey's still alive, but it's clear that his behaviour isn't at all wise.


I'm pretty sure that's kind of Smash's point about R.R. Martin giving the schemers the edge. While Joffrey certainly isn't wise, but he's not really in charge, is he?
Quote:

It's not like a laser guided missile locks on to you the second you put honour before practicality.


Have you read all the books? 'Cause the "good" guys certainly have the sh*ttiest of times throughout Ice & Fire. Except for maybe Robb, for a bit.


Edited, Apr 15th 2013 3:05am by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#34 Apr 15 2013 at 3:41 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
You didn't really understand anything that I said.

There's a very big difference between one group having an edge and their counterparts suffering immediate and fatal consequences.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#35 Apr 15 2013 at 4:48 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
This episode would have been fantastic even if nothing happened except during Podrick's scenes.


Indeed. Definitely my favorite scene this season so far.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#36 Apr 15 2013 at 4:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
Ok, that thing with Jaime tonight - did NOT see that coming. Ow.


Someone hasn't read the books now, have they? Oh the spoilerific shenanigans that could ensue!

Nope, never read the books. Mostly because I know he hasn't finished them yet. And isn't there speculation that he might not? That he's put all his energy into the TV show now?
#37 Apr 15 2013 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Nadenu wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
Ok, that thing with Jaime tonight - did NOT see that coming. Ow.


Someone hasn't read the books now, have they? Oh the spoilerific shenanigans that could ensue!

Nope, never read the books. Mostly because I know he hasn't finished them yet. And isn't there speculation that he might not? That he's put all his energy into the TV show now?


Not so much all of his energy into the TV programmes, it's more he's worried he'll die before finishing them.

Apparently he's let the producers/writers know how he intends to pan it all out just in case, though.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#38 Apr 15 2013 at 7:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
Have you read all the books? 'Cause the "good" guys certainly have the sh*ttiest of times throughout Ice & Fire. Except for maybe Robb, for a bit.


Most of the "evil" characters end up dying too, though. It takes a little longer, but by the end of the fifth book, I can't think of too many chaotic/evil characters still left Joffrey, the Mountain, the Red Viper, most of the Brave Companions. And there are still several "good" characters left, though many aren't exactly in the best of shape. Honestly, I've found Martin pretty even-handed in doling out punishment to everyone; I think we just notice it more with the honorable characters because we like them more.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#39 Apr 15 2013 at 8:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,148 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
I can't think of too many chaotic/evil characters still left Joffrey, the Mountain, the Red Viper, most of the Brave Companions. And there are still several "good" characters left, though many aren't exactly in the best of shape. Honestly, I've found Martin pretty even-handed in doling out punishment to everyone; I think we just notice it more with the honorable characters because we like them more.


I really liked the Red Viper. Sad that he had a rather short appearance. :(
Also the Mountain might not be gone for good. This thing the one Ex-Maester (Qyburn?) bred in his dungeon and that was supposed to be Cerseis unbeatable champion sounds like a resurrected/undead Mountain.
But it has been a while since I last read the books so maybe that was resolved or cleared up and I just forgot.


____________________________
Osseric
#40 Apr 15 2013 at 8:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
TherealLogros wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
I can't think of too many chaotic/evil characters still left Joffrey, the Mountain, the Red Viper, most of the Brave Companions. And there are still several "good" characters left, though many aren't exactly in the best of shape. Honestly, I've found Martin pretty even-handed in doling out punishment to everyone; I think we just notice it more with the honorable characters because we like them more.


I really liked the Red Viper. Sad that he had a rather short appearance. :(
Also the Mountain might not be gone for good. This thing the one Ex-Maester (Qyburn?) bred in his dungeon and that was supposed to be Cerseis unbeatable champion sounds like a resurrected/undead Mountain.
But it has been a while since I last read the books so maybe that was resolved or cleared up and I just forgot.

No, you're right on the second one; but technically he's not really himself any more, so I count him as dead Smiley: grin
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#41 Apr 16 2013 at 6:40 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
I'm not sure what Martin's strategy for killing off characters is - at least in the books. Maybe it's as random as a bout of constipation.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#42 Apr 16 2013 at 7:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,148 posts
I think he has some characters that will be needed for the conclusion of the story and some he knows have to perish at some point or the other. The others live or die by his temper while writing I'd guess. If someone like Hotpie survives or someone like that deaf archer of the Black Brothers (only in the books) dies has almost no impact on the overarching story. So I think he just does what feels right to him the moment he comes to this decision.
____________________________
Osseric
#43 Apr 16 2013 at 8:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Likeable character? Dead. Stark over age of 12? Dead. Evil chareacter but without cripling personality traits? dead. ****** up jerk we all wish would die? Immortal.

At the end of the series, it's going to be 6 or 7 really screwed up individuals sitting around a campfire in the middle of a snowstorm, saying "huh, we're screwed" right before the WHite walkers finish everyone off. Then Arya will show up and kill all the white walkers singlehandedly, only to be killed in turn by Summer Glau. THe final shot of the series will be a slow camera pan focus of a direwolf ******* on a pile of burning game of thrones books with George R. R. Martin cackling like a bond villian in the background whilst sitting on an enormous pile of money.

Seriously, go read his "wild cards" series or the even more spectacularily annoying "Tuf voyaging" to see how his worldview works. Dude ain't right in the head when it comes to characters.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#44 Apr 16 2013 at 8:17 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,471 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Likeable character? Dead. Stark over age of 12? Dead. Evil chareacter but without cripling personality traits? dead. @#%^ed up jerk we all wish would die? Dead.


Fix'd. Valar Morghulis.
#45 Apr 16 2013 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Likeable character? Dead. Stark over age of 12? Dead. Evil chareacter but without cripling personality traits? dead. @#%^ed up jerk we all wish would die? Dead.


Fix'd. Valar Morghulis.

But not the women. Which reminds me of the line thrown out by Dany right after hooking up with Missandei. It wasn't a very Martinesque statement.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#46 Apr 16 2013 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,566 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Most of the "evil" characters end up dying too, though. It takes a little longer, but by the end of the fifth book, I can't think of too many chaotic/evil characters still left ... And there are still several "good" characters left, though many aren't exactly in the best of shape. Honestly, I've found Martin pretty even-handed in doling out punishment to everyone; I think we just notice it more with the honorable characters because we like them more.

Maybe the entire point is that cruel fate doesn't reward "honor" or "virtue", but punishes the good and evil alike. The reason I like Jamie Lannister as a character so much is because he's the only one that seems to understand this (aside from possibly Cat Stark).
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#47 Apr 17 2013 at 6:45 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Demea wrote:

Maybe the entire point is that cruel fate doesn't reward "honor" or "virtue", but punishes the good and evil alike. The reason I like Jamie Lannister as a character so much is because he's the only one that seems to understand this (aside from possibly Cat Stark).
I don't know if it's the entire point, but death seems rather random and not really connected to the virtuous nature of the character. Which makes sense as most characters will change throughout the course of the story.

I like Jamie too. I'm anxious to hear his story ... his and his brothers. I need the next book for that. Smiley: frown
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#48 Apr 19 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Jaime is one of my favourite characters. It seems to me that he has had by far the most character development as the story has progressed (with perhaps the exception of Arya?)
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#49 Apr 22 2013 at 7:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
*****
15,952 posts
Best Scenery This Week:Tie between the long shot of the tree that Bran later climbs and falls from, and the ferns outside the BWB's cave.
Best Bite on the ****: Micah the Butcher's boy coming back to the Hound edges out Craster starving the Night's Watch.
Best Dress: Sansa's new one.
Most Piquant Delayed Gratification: Varys' Sorcerer In A Box.
Most Useful Crowd Seeding: Margaery organising people to call out "Bless King Joffrey".
Season's Most Gutting Burn: Tywin dis-Heiring Tyrion in the face of legalities is still much worse than him telling Cercei: "It's not because you're a woman, it's because you're not as smart as you think you are."
Best Varys-Littlefinger Verbal Joust: Varys-Olenna.
Best Acting: Sansa's lower lip wobbling at finally getting her shining-knight-in-armour husband with a beautiful castle home and a woman who WANTS to be her sister.
Best Directorial Bait and Switch: Major Book Spoiler Sansa thinking she'll finally get her Knight-in-shing-armour-husband-with-beautiful-castle-only to be presented with Tyrion instead.
Only Goosebumps Up The Neck: Unsullied beating their spears for Daenerys Stormborn.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#50 Apr 22 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:

Most Piquant Delayed Gratification: Varys' Sorcerer In A Box.
I think this was my favorite scene from yesterday's episode. So much info bulging and pulsing in that 4minute segment.

Quote:
Most Useful Crowd Seeding: Margaery organising people to call out "Bless King Joffrey".
This scene reminded me just how diverging the storyline differences between book and show appear to be. But they may all completely re-emerge before it makes much impact on the story at all - who knows. The only think to do is just sit back and enjoy the show.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#51 Apr 22 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
Best Scenery This Week:Tie between the long shot of the tree that Bran later climbs and falls from, and the ferns outside the BWB's cave.
Best Bite on the ****: Micah the Butcher's boy coming back to the Hound edges out Craster starving the Night's Watch.
Best Dress: Sansa's new one.
Most Piquant Delayed Gratification: Varys' Sorcerer In A Box.
Most Useful Crowd Seeding: Margaery organising people to call out "Bless King Joffrey".
Season's Most Gutting Burn: Tywin dis-Heiring Tyrion in the face of legalities is still much worse than him telling Cercei: "It's not because you're a woman, it's because you're not as smart as you think you are."
Best Varys-Littlefinger Verbal Joust: Varys-Olenna.
Best Acting: Sansa's lower lip wobbling at finally getting her shining-knight-in-armour husband with a beautiful castle home and a woman who WANTS to be her sister.
Best Directorial Bait and Switch: Major Book Spoiler Sansa thinking she'll finally get her Knight-in-shing-armour-husband-with-beautiful-castle-only to be presented with Tyrion instead.
Only Goosebumps Up The Neck: Unsullied beating their spears for Daenerys Stormborn.


I didn't get the inclusion of Bran's scene in this episode at all. Yeah yeah, we get it. Crows and dreams and stuff...it's all very symbolic. That time should have gone to someone else this week.

Other than that, good stuff this episode. The Unsullied look like an army of Shredders from TMNT.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 32 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (32)