I won't spoiler it for those who already know the Power of the Pony.
For the rest of you skeptics who still don't get the awesomeness of G4 Ponytime, let me try to put into words why it is so @#%^ing awesome and why you should give it a chance.
1. The show is for kids, but contains adult jokes. Lauren Faust and her team are a bunch of geeks, and they have all sorts of little jokes that are put in there for the parents. While the toys are all left in the 7 and under age range ("Pony wears the saddle!" proclaims one toy box), the cartoon rolls through some very established plot lines in a very funny way. Like, there's a few racing episodes, and the smart pony, Twilight Sparkle (whose name in itself is a poke at Stephanie Meyers) ends up with the number 42.
2. Each pony has a distinct personality. Each one is likable in her own way, but each one has her own flaws too. Things don't always work out the way they expected it to. Every episode ends with a lesson, of course (it IS a kid's show), but the moralistic lecture isn't overdone, and it's presented in the form of a report to another character instead of breaking the fourth wall.
3. Princess Celestia is the biggest troll in any animated series, ever. I love her to bits. She's a thousand years old and bored out of her skull and isn't afraid to ***** with people's heads for her own entertainment.
4. Animation quality is consistently good and the voice acting is astonishingly good.
5. The fandom for the series has put out some funny sh*t, and pranked many a person, including some prominent webcomic artists. I love this fandom. There's the usual rule 34 junk from the 4chan bronies, but there's also some serious creative and artistic output of a less dubious nature. Pony images are the LOLcats of 2011.
So there ya have it. Five reasons to go to YouTube and start watching MLP:FIM from episode 1 and end on 26 (and then wait til next fall with the rest of us for more.)
Edited, May 6th 2011 5:28pm by catwho