Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

It's anime, really. Follow

#1 Jan 31 2011 at 2:31 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
A long, long time ago, in a state far away, a wee tiny Belkira used to look forward to the trips to the local movie rental shop. I used to rent "The Last Unicorn" and "David the Gnome" over and over. One movie I rented a few times and just loved was "Jack and the Beanstalk."

Years later, something sparked a memory, and I searched for this movie on DVD. I watched it again last night. It's a little weird, a little creepy, and still pretty good. It's anime before anime was "cool." No, there are no pre-teen girls showing their panties. But there is an ogre and a princess and an evil witch.

My husband sat down halfway through and caught the wedding scene with the paper doll congregation (and the creepy "preacher" singing the "Are You Happy?" song) and declared the movie strange, and me strange for liking it so much.

Anyway. If you haven't seen it, see it! And tell me how weird I am for liking it.
#2 Jan 31 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,954 posts
While we are looking for old obscure western animation, does anyone know of some movie with five wizard guys with dragons in it? Terribly descriptive, I know.

I believe it was a kids film.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#3 Jan 31 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,253 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
While we are looking for old obscure western animation, does anyone know of some movie with five wizard guys with dragons in it? Terribly descriptive, I know.

I believe it was a kids film.


Record of Lodoss War?

Nvm, not Western enough.

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 6:06pm by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#4 Jan 31 2011 at 5:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,954 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
While we are looking for old obscure western animation, does anyone know of some movie with five wizard guys with dragons in it? Terribly descriptive, I know.

I believe it was a kids film.


Record of Lodoss War?

Nvm, not Western enough.

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 6:06pm by Shaowstrike


No, but I might end up watching it.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#5 Jan 31 2011 at 6:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,253 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
While we are looking for old obscure western animation, does anyone know of some movie with five wizard guys with dragons in it? Terribly descriptive, I know.

I believe it was a kids film.


Record of Lodoss War?

Nvm, not Western enough.

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 6:06pm by Shaowstrike


No, but I might end up watching it.


I think I found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_Dragons
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#6 Jan 31 2011 at 7:39 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
While we are looking for old obscure western animation...


My movie was made in Japan, dammit. Smiley: motz It really is anime.

So there.
#7 Jan 31 2011 at 7:44 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,576 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
My movie was made in Japan, dammit. Smiley: motz It really is anime.

Yes, and The Simpsons is drawn by Koreans.
#8 Jan 31 2011 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Allegory wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
My movie was made in Japan, dammit. Smiley: motz It really is anime.

Yes, and The Simpsons is drawn by Koreans.


Smiley: frown

What makes an anime an anime, then?
#9 Jan 31 2011 at 10:38 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,576 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
What makes an anime an anime, then?

Mostly I was just poking a little fun.

I don't think of it as having a precise definition which puts media into categories of "definitely anime" and "definitely not anime. If someone wanted to call Avatar anime or say it wasn't, I couldn't care much either way.

I think one of the simplest ways to discern if something might be anime is to ask "is this animated and is it intended for a primarily Japanese audience?" If the answer to both is yes, then it's probably anime.

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 10:38pm by Allegory
#10 Feb 01 2011 at 7:07 AM Rating: Good
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
While we are looking for old obscure western animation, does anyone know of some movie with five wizard guys with dragons in it? Terribly descriptive, I know.

I believe it was a kids film.


Record of Lodoss War?

Nvm, not Western enough.

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 6:06pm by Shaowstrike


No, but I might end up watching it.


I think I found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_Dragons


omfg yes. Movie is EPIC!
Here is the intro for just a taste of it's awesomeness
I've no idea how many times I've seen this, but enough that my VCR tape of it no longer works t.t
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#11 Feb 01 2011 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Allegory wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
What makes an anime an anime, then?

Mostly I was just poking a little fun.

I don't think of it as having a precise definition which puts media into categories of "definitely anime" and "definitely not anime. If someone wanted to call Avatar anime or say it wasn't, I couldn't care much either way.

I think one of the simplest ways to discern if something might be anime is to ask "is this animated and is it intended for a primarily Japanese audience?" If the answer to both is yes, then it's probably anime.


Oh. Then I'm going to pretend it's anime and that I was cool and watched anime before any of you guys. Smiley: tongue
#12 Feb 01 2011 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
ITT: I (watched anime/played video games/used the internet) before it was cool.

I think everyone in these particular forums falls under those categories.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#13 Feb 01 2011 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
ITT: I (watched anime/played video games/used the internet) before it was cool.

I think everyone in these particular forums falls under those categories.


I'm nine, don't say that.
#14 Feb 01 2011 at 4:48 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,744 posts
LOL i totally remeber watching this movie back when i was a kid. When i was young we were super poor so the libary was the place where we would go to get movies and it's there where i found Lord of the rings cartoon movies and the flight of dragons! Such a great cartoon movie belk thanks for the forgotten memories!
#15 Feb 01 2011 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Flixa wrote:
It's there where i found Lord of the rings cartoon movies.
So I wasn't the only one that has seen these! I knew I wasn't crazy.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#16 Feb 01 2011 at 5:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,253 posts
xypin wrote:
Flixa wrote:
It's there where i found Lord of the rings cartoon movies.
So I wasn't the only one that has seen these! I knew I wasn't crazy.


Crazy depends on whether you saw the full cartoons or those half cartoon/half live action abominations.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#17 Feb 01 2011 at 7:02 PM Rating: Good
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
xypin wrote:
Flixa wrote:
It's there where i found Lord of the rings cartoon movies.
So I wasn't the only one that has seen these! I knew I wasn't crazy.


Crazy depends on whether you saw the full cartoons or those half cartoon/half live action abominations.


there not so bad while on drugs.
Or so I was told.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#18 Feb 01 2011 at 7:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
xypin wrote:
Flixa wrote:
It's there where i found Lord of the rings cartoon movies.
So I wasn't the only one that has seen these! I knew I wasn't crazy.
Crazy depends on whether you saw the full cartoons or those half cartoon/half live action abominations.
The Hobbit!




This post did not take me 10 minutes to write and I did not get sucked into watching the whole movie.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#19 Feb 01 2011 at 8:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,954 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
While we are looking for old obscure western animation, does anyone know of some movie with five wizard guys with dragons in it? Terribly descriptive, I know.

I believe it was a kids film.


Record of Lodoss War?

Nvm, not Western enough.

Edited, Jan 31st 2011 6:06pm by Shaowstrike


No, but I might end up watching it.


I think I found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flight_of_Dragons


...I think it is. I like the intro too, I'm gonna have to watch this at some point.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#20 Feb 13 2011 at 1:31 PM Rating: Good
I remember watching G-Force, and Star Blazers when i was around 7 years old. Both were Anime's dubbed in english, and played on saturday mornings (1979 ish). So there! :P
My point is that anime has always been cool. :)
____________________________

#21 Feb 13 2011 at 9:32 PM Rating: Good
I loved this version of Jack and the Beanstock since I first saw it as a kid, but until now, I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone outside my family that remembers it.
#22 Feb 14 2011 at 7:56 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,507 posts
lol, I think you mean Jack and the Beanstalk.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#23 Feb 15 2011 at 8:46 PM Rating: Good
Woopsie!
#25 Feb 16 2011 at 6:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Living on a Prayer
******
30,104 posts
Anime is really just the word "animation" truncated.
They call our animation "anime"

NOW HOW YOU GONNA ACT?
#26 Feb 16 2011 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
Usagi wrote:
Anime is really just the word "animation" truncated.
They call our animation "anime"

NOW HOW YOU GONNA ACT?
SHOCKED.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#27 Feb 16 2011 at 7:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,253 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Usagi wrote:
Anime is really just the word "animation" truncated.
They call our animation "anime"

NOW HOW YOU GONNA ACT?
SHOCKED.


Time to sue for slander!
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#28 Feb 16 2011 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Usagi wrote:
Anime is really just the word "animation" truncated.
They call our animation "anime"

NOW HOW YOU GONNA ACT?


Like I'm right. And cool. And not a nerd at all.

Now to go look up HBO's old show "Brain Games."

Edited, Feb 16th 2011 10:10am by Belkira
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CDT
Deadgye, Anonymous Guests (22)