Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Game of ThronesFollow

#152 Jun 03 2011 at 9:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Locke, he's never going to understand if you gloss over all of the details like that. Smiley: rolleyes
Smiley: laugh

I drove up to GA with my girlfriend last weekend; 5 hour drive each way. To pass the time I told her almost the entire story of A Song of Fire and Ice. When I finished, I realized I didn't even include Dany's parts, nor Old Valyria, or the Night's Watch and wildlings beyond the Wall.

When I asked how much of it she remembered, she said:
Quote:
Well, the Imp is a dwarf and awesome, his brother is the Kingslayer, he has **** with his sister and all their kids aren't legitimate heirs. Joffrey (called him Jeffrey) is a d*ck, the Starks have too many kids, and Boromir (she couldn't remember his name) is too honorable for his own good. Also there's a Hound.

Close enough, honey Smiley: lolSmiley: lolSmiley: lol

Edited, Jun 3rd 2011 11:38am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#153 Jun 03 2011 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
What era did does this take place in? I've noticed in the show that some of the language seems more modern than they might have had back then. Did they have the concept of days/weeks/months back then? I've noticed they've said days/weeks/months but they have also said, "in 2 moons."
#154 Jun 03 2011 at 9:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Hyolith wrote:
What era did does this take place in?
It's fantasy, so basically medieval. They have catapults, crossbows, and dragonfire (basically napalm, it's fire that burns on water), but no steam engines or guns.
Quote:
I've noticed in the show that some of the language seems more modern than they might have had back then.
Some of the wording is made up. "Ser" instead of "Sir," to denote knights for example. They also sometimes use words from old languages (made up languages).

Quote:
Did they have the concept of days/weeks/months back then? I've noticed they've said days/weeks/months but they have also said, "in 2 moons."
Yes. They have years that seem roughly equivalent to earth years in the number of days. However, there are also longer-term patterns of weather that divide the world into "summer" and "winter." During these years its basically good weather or bad weather. Winters can last a long time; years at times, and the series starts with forewarnings of a "long winter" ahead.

A moon is basically 30 days (26 or so), so two moons would be about two months.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#155 Jun 03 2011 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Quote:
Did they have the concept of days/weeks/months back then? I've noticed they've said days/weeks/months but they have also said, "in 2 moons."
Yes. They have years that seem roughly equivalent to earth years in the number of days. However, there are also longer-term patterns of weather that divide the world into "summer" and "winter." During these years its basically good weather or bad weather. Winters can last a long time; years at times, and the series starts with forewarnings of a "long winter" ahead.

A moon is basically 30 days (26 or so), so two moons would be about two months.


Did they call them days and such though. One scene I am referring to. I believe it was at the wall one of the guys said he was supposed to be gone "2 weeks but ended up staying 6 months." I understand that a "moon" is what new moon to new moon. I just thought it was weird to have one person using the terms weeks and months and another using moons to refer to as months.

I know that's all how the script for the show is written and not necessarily how they do it in the book. I just wondered if they were being correct to the time period.
#156 Jun 03 2011 at 11:40 AM Rating: Good
Eske Esquire wrote:
Locke, he's never going to understand if you gloss over all of the details like that. Smiley: rolleyes
Smiley: lol
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#157 Jun 03 2011 at 12:22 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Locke, he's never going to understand if you gloss over all of the details like that. Smiley: rolleyes
Smiley: lol


That comment actually got rated down, too, apparently. I think some people missed the really subtle irony at play. Smiley: lol

Hyolith wrote:
I just wondered if they were being correct to the time period.


Well, the series cobbles together a lot of historical references from all over, and from quite a few different periods. It's particularly evident on the show, where I've personally seen Baroque interiors mashed up with Hindu designs and Middle Eastern furnishings. The show's designers said outright that they were deliberately trying to draw from multiple sources simultaneously, in order to give the series a more original feeling that still seems vaguely reminiscent of the things that it's referencing. They want it to feel exotic, and yet familiar at the same time.

The language of time in the show probably follows those same tenets. I doubt they've put much thought into it beyond wanting it to feel a bit medieval, while still being relatable.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2011 2:23pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#158 Jun 03 2011 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Did my part to counter the rate trolls.

My friends and I play a drinking game every week when watching the episode, and one of our biggest rules is that you have to drink whenever someone says "Winter is coming". Other main rules are as follows:

1. Whenever someone says "A Lannister always pays his debts".
2. Whenever you see blood or boobs. (Not for the lightweights)
3. Whenever Littlefinger acts smug. (We ran out of drinks fast on this one last week...)
4. Whenever dragons are mentioned.

There are others, but those are the big ones.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#159 Jun 03 2011 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Did my part to counter the rate trolls.

My friends and I play a drinking game every week when watching the episode, and one of our biggest rules is that you have to drink whenever someone says "Winter is coming". Other main rules are as follows:

1. Whenever someone says "A Lannister always pays his debts".
2. Whenever you see blood or boobs. (Not for the lightweights)
3. Whenever Littlefinger acts smug. (We ran out of drinks fast on this one last week...)
4. Whenever dragons are mentioned.

There are others, but those are the big ones.


Ah shucks, that's nice of ya, but I wasn't upset or anything. My karma's not going anywhere fast. I was actually just amused at whoever's misunderstanding it was.

I like the drinking game (especially #3). If you'd added "Whenever King Robert takes a drink" for the first season, you'd be pretty sloshed too. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#160 Jun 05 2011 at 11:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,886 posts
I have to say, this one felt like they were rushing things. Also, the things that happen at the wall there when they bring in the bodies aren't quite the same as how they happened in the book, and looks like it will result in at least one important change, since John Snow doesn't really "save" the commander in the end. I realize they have to make room for the second half of the book in the remaining time slots, but it just feels like its too rushed.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#161 Jun 06 2011 at 7:41 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I have to say, this one felt like they were rushing things. Also, the things that happen at the wall there when they bring in the bodies aren't quite the same as how they happened in the book, and looks like it will result in at least one important change, since John Snow doesn't really "save" the commander in the end. I realize they have to make room for the second half of the book in the remaining time slots, but it just feels like its too rushed.


Agreed, they crammed a bit too much into the last one, and a couple of the scenes fell flat. The scene at the wall with the bodies wasn't as good as it should have been. As filmed, Jon basically burned his hand for no damned reason at all...he could easily have grabbed the lamp by the handle. It looked kinda silly.

The major issue that I had with it was the timeline. People covered a lot of ground traveling in the episode (Tyrion, Rob, and Cat), but there weren't many cues about how much time had passed, nor was that change of time reflected in the scenes with other characters (a quick scene or two showing the passage of time for Ned in the dungeon would have done wonders for that).

But still, mostly good stuff I thought. Fun dialogue from Tyrion, a nice action scene with Syrio (sp?), and some good acting from the guy playing Varys. Incidentally, I find his character much more likeable in the show than I did in the books.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#162 Jun 06 2011 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,896 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I have to say, this one felt like they were rushing things. Also, the things that happen at the wall there when they bring in the bodies aren't quite the same as how they happened in the book, and looks like it will result in at least one important change, since John Snow doesn't really "save" the commander in the end. I realize they have to make room for the second half of the book in the remaining time slots, but it just feels like its too rushed.
The last episode left the book out-of-sync with the show. Not that it was detrimental, but it seemed like with this episode they were trying to bring them back together a bit.

I thought the relationship between Sam and Jon was done pretty sloppily. In the story I read they seemed to develop true respect, friendship, trust, etc. In the show it's like they're portraying Sam as an annoyance that Jon is willing to put up with.

Khal Drogo is awesome. I like the Khal Drogo on tv better than the one I first envisioned in my head.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#163 Jun 06 2011 at 8:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
I rather enjoyed the scene where Viserys gets his "crown."

Still trying to find the book. Thirty copies in area libraries...all checked out.
#164 Jun 06 2011 at 8:29 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
Khal Drogo is awesome. I like the Khal Drogo on tv better than the one I first envisioned in my head.


Drogo wins...FATALITY! Smiley: eek
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#165 Jun 06 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,896 posts
Hyolith wrote:

Still trying to find the book. Thirty copies in area libraries...all checked out.
I pirated a pdf version, converted it to an epud file and sideloaded it to my Nook.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#166 Jun 06 2011 at 11:22 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
There is a library that has an e-audiobook of it. But it's such a pain in the **** as I have to download all the files, convert them to mp4 and then sync them to my ipod. That's a lot of work to just list to a book. Plus I would still rather have the book in front of me to follow along as I tend to not pay attention well when just listening.
#167 Jun 06 2011 at 9:56 PM Rating: Good
Hyolith wrote:
There is a library that has an e-audiobook of it. But it's such a pain in the **** as I have to download all the files, convert them to mp4 and then sync them to my ipod. That's a lot of work to just list to a book.


That's why God invented torrents and Rockbox. I've got the books in physical form, but I listened to them on my iPod recently. I've found it's nice for "rereading" things I've read before since I'm short on free time. I'm currently listening to Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (which I already have in print), and listened to Mistborn and then bought the actual books afterward.

Edit: Also, Roy Dotrice did an awesome job reading the first three books of ASoIaF, and the guy who did the forth book was good also... just not AS good. I know I'll always hear his voices for Jaime and Tyrion in future books.

Edited, Jun 6th 2011 10:02pm by LadyOfHolyDarkness
#168 Jun 06 2011 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way is a pretty good listen as well.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#169 Jun 07 2011 at 12:28 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,076 posts
Hyolith wrote:
I rather enjoyed the scene where Viserys gets his "crown."

Still trying to find the book. Thirty copies in area libraries...all checked out.


This might come as a shock, but you could just buy it.
#170 Jun 07 2011 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
Hyolith wrote:
I rather enjoyed the scene where Viserys gets his "crown."

Still trying to find the book. Thirty copies in area libraries...all checked out.
Screenshot

PM me with your christing mailing address, You'll get the books.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#171 Jun 07 2011 at 10:47 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,896 posts
Lubriderm, Star Breaker wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
I rather enjoyed the scene where Viserys gets his "crown."

Still trying to find the book. Thirty copies in area libraries...all checked out.
Screenshot

PM me with your christing mailing address, You'll get the books.
How do you like the blueberry brew?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#172 Jun 08 2011 at 4:08 PM Rating: Decent
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
I enjoy the HBO series a lot, though I admit I watch it with my iPad in front of me with Wikipedia open to gain a little bit of further info about the characters.

I've been working through the book since before the series started (I have trouble with books that use multiple POVs), and the series has really helped me to understand the book a bit better.

There have been a few episodes that weren't as amazing, but overall I think it's the best show on HBO right now (not that that's hard, with Entourage sucking since season four, True Blood being awful, and me not having any interest in any other HBO series).

Edited, Jun 8th 2011 3:09pm by Theophany
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#173 Jun 08 2011 at 7:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
The major issue that I had with it was the timeline. People covered a lot of ground traveling in the episode (Tyrion, Rob, and Cat), but there weren't many cues about how much time had passed, nor was that change of time reflected in the scenes with other characters (a quick scene or two showing the passage of time for Ned in the dungeon would have done wonders for that).

But still, mostly good stuff I thought. Fun dialogue from Tyrion, a nice action scene with Syrio (sp?), and some good acting from the guy playing Varys. Incidentally, I find his character much more likeable in the show than I did in the books.


This is pretty much my review. I thought it was a good episode outside of the ambiguous timelines (seriously, this one episode covers like 2 months) and the under-reaction with the ghasts at the Wall. But the rest was good, really good. Setting up for a good conclusion of the first book.
I think Ned should lose his head next episode, but it seems like something that should be saved for the final episode.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#174 Jun 09 2011 at 5:35 AM Rating: Good
Elinda wrote:
Lubriderm, Star Breaker wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
I rather enjoyed the scene where Viserys gets his "crown."

Still trying to find the book. Thirty copies in area libraries...all checked out.
Screenshot

PM me with your christing mailing address, You'll get the books.
How do you like the blueberry brew?
Best beer ever. I love that and Portsmouth's Raspberry Weizen.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#175 Jun 09 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
LockeColeMA wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
The major issue that I had with it was the timeline. People covered a lot of ground traveling in the episode (Tyrion, Rob, and Cat), but there weren't many cues about how much time had passed, nor was that change of time reflected in the scenes with other characters (a quick scene or two showing the passage of time for Ned in the dungeon would have done wonders for that).

But still, mostly good stuff I thought. Fun dialogue from Tyrion, a nice action scene with Syrio (sp?), and some good acting from the guy playing Varys. Incidentally, I find his character much more likeable in the show than I did in the books.


This is pretty much my review. I thought it was a good episode outside of the ambiguous timelines (seriously, this one episode covers like 2 months) and the under-reaction with the ghasts at the Wall. But the rest was good, really good. Setting up for a good conclusion of the first book.
I think Ned should lose his head next episode, but it seems like something that should be saved for the final episode.
I agree on both counts, but I think it'll happen next episode just based on where I remember it being in the book. Seemed like it wasn't that close to the end. Plus, the way GRRM ends the book is pretty good on its own.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#176 Jun 09 2011 at 7:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,886 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
I agree on both counts, but I think it'll happen next episode just based on where I remember it being in the book. Seemed like it wasn't that close to the end. Plus, the way GRRM ends the book is pretty good on its own.


I dunno, I always thought the space alien invasion and the massive starship battle at the end pretty out of place. I mean, where do they even get training on how to fly 8,000 year old fighter jets shaped like dragons in the first place, and why would you hide them in a giant ice wall to begin with?

The part about Ned coming back as a Giant robot was pretty awsome though, I will admit.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#177 Jun 09 2011 at 9:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
I agree on both counts, but I think it'll happen next episode just based on where I remember it being in the book. Seemed like it wasn't that close to the end. Plus, the way GRRM ends the book is pretty good on its own.


I dunno, I always thought the space alien invasion and the massive starship battle at the end pretty out of place. I mean, where do they even get training on how to fly 8,000 year old fighter jets shaped like dragons in the first place, and why would you hide them in a giant ice wall to begin with?

The part about Ned coming back as a Giant robot was pretty awsome though, I will admit.
The old Valyrian scipts granted them instant knowledge, remember? Dany rides her dragons in, which happen to be resistant to the photon torpedoes. Jeff Goldblum uploads that virus (through his MAC, wtf, product placement!) and totally owns the Others. Job Snow goes on to win the game.

... I'm remembering this right, right?

Edited, Jun 9th 2011 11:48pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#178 Jun 10 2011 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
I agree on both counts, but I think it'll happen next episode just based on where I remember it being in the book. Seemed like it wasn't that close to the end. Plus, the way GRRM ends the book is pretty good on its own.


I dunno, I always thought the space alien invasion and the massive starship battle at the end pretty out of place. I mean, where do they even get training on how to fly 8,000 year old fighter jets shaped like dragons in the first place, and why would you hide them in a giant ice wall to begin with?

The part about Ned coming back as a Giant robot was pretty awsome though, I will admit.
The old Valyrian scipts granted them instant knowledge, remember? Dany rides her dragons in, which happen to be resistant to the photon torpedoes. Jeff Goldblum uploads that virus (through his MAC, wtf, product placement!) and totally owns the Others. Job Snow goes on to win the game.

... I'm remembering this right, right?

Edited, Jun 9th 2011 11:48pm by LockeColeMA


You just forgot the part about how it was all a dream that some chick in Dallas had.

Edited, Jun 10th 2011 11:45am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#179 Jun 10 2011 at 7:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
31,588 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
I agree on both counts, but I think it'll happen next episode just based on where I remember it being in the book. Seemed like it wasn't that close to the end. Plus, the way GRRM ends the book is pretty good on its own.


I dunno, I always thought the space alien invasion and the massive starship battle at the end pretty out of place. I mean, where do they even get training on how to fly 8,000 year old fighter jets shaped like dragons in the first place, and why would you hide them in a giant ice wall to begin with?

The part about Ned coming back as a Giant robot was pretty awsome though, I will admit.
The old Valyrian scipts granted them instant knowledge, remember? Dany rides her dragons in, which happen to be resistant to the photon torpedoes. Jeff Goldblum uploads that virus (through his MAC, wtf, product placement!) and totally owns the Others. Job Snow goes on to win the game.


Jesus F'ing Christ! Put some spoiler tags on that. OMGZ!!!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#180 Jun 11 2011 at 8:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,246 posts
Ned kills Dumbledore.
____________________________
Banh
#181 Jun 13 2011 at 6:55 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,896 posts
'Ned's Head' jokes are now permitted.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#182 Jun 13 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,921 posts
The HBO GoT board melted down yesterday. Terribly amusing. I knew it would be. Newbies seemed to have moved right on past their Primary Emotional Reaction to Ned's death, (Shock/Horror/Grief) and by the time they have gotten to their computers they are well into Secondry Emotions. Of which most are ANGER.

So there are few "omg omg omg they KILLED NED, I'm STILL crying" posts, and a bucketload of "This is a **** show and I'm not watching it any more/ I'm cancelling HBO"

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 1:57pm by Aripyanfar
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#183 Jun 13 2011 at 1:09 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,896 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
The HBO GoT board melted down yesterday. Terribly amusing. I knew it would be. Newbies seemed to have moved right on past their Primary Emotional Reaction to Ned's death, (Shock/Horror/Grief) and by the time they have gotten to their computers they are well into Secondry Emotions. Of which most are ANGER.

So there are few "omg omg omg they KILLED NED, I'm STILL crying" posts, and a bucketload of "This is a **** show and I'm not watching it any more/ I'm cancelling HBO"

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 1:57pm by Aripyanfar
They should have guessed what the outcome would be when Boromir was cast as Ned.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#184 Jun 13 2011 at 3:13 PM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,921 posts
Elinda wrote:
They should have guessed what the outcome would be when Boromir was cast as Ned.


There seems to be an awful lot of Sean Bean fans out there who aren't cognisant of the vast majority of his ouvre!

So many posters are gnashing their teeth that Sean Bean was chosen for a part that would be killed off in the first season, after being promoted and directed as the series "main" character, the nicest, most admirable character. They say they only tried out GoT bc they recognised Sean Bean. They feel tricked. (Of course, probably because, like all the book readers, they are devastated by the death of Ned, and their pain has become outrage.) It's remarkable how attached we get to fictional characters.

There hasn't been much time in the series to flesh people out. Much more time in the books to create the complexities of such individual characters.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#185 Jun 14 2011 at 12:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,886 posts
Heh, wait until they get to next season. "Wait, they killed ALL the popular characters? what the hell"???
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#186 Jun 14 2011 at 7:58 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,920 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Heh, wait until they get to next season. "Wait, they killed ALL the popular characters? what the hell"???


Well, wait till The Red Wedding bit, that will really push some people over the edge. If the series survives till then.

On the other hand, apparently Catelyn is that unpopular with some, that I've already heard cheers from people who just read that bit and enjoyed it


My main problem is that the wolves aren't big enough. Sure, they might not be full grown yet, but still.
____________________________


#187 Jun 14 2011 at 8:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
This was just a really good episode all around. Lots of action, lots of stuff happening. I hope they don't can the series because of the backlash, but, eh.

Quote:
Well, wait till The Red Wedding bit, that will really push some people over the edge. If the series survives till then.


I remember when I first read the first four books, I thought to myself "All the best characters die!" But reading through it a second time, I disagree. A number of "good" characters die, but not all.

Characters I like who die
Ned
Catelyn (but comes back as Stoneheart)
Robb
Renly


Characters I dislike who died
Joffrey
The Mountain
The Hound
Tywin


Seems pretty even on both fronts. A lot of my favorites haven't died (Tyrion, Jon, Arya, Littlefinger after book 3, Dany). A good amount get hurt/mutilated (Tyrion, Loras, Jaime). Some who seem to have died aren't conclusively dead (Brienne, Theon).

Really I think it's pretty even overall.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#188 Jun 14 2011 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Some who seem to have died aren't conclusively dead (Brienne, Theon)


Davos, also.

My inkling is that Brienne and Davos are alive. I'm almost positive that's the case with Davos in particular, as POV characters are almost never killed out-of-scene.

Quote:
My main problem is that the wolves aren't big enough. Sure, they might not be full grown yet, but still.


But what would you have them do with the wolves to make them bigger? CGI them? I feel like that'd only serve to make them less believable.

Speaking of CGI...I wonder what to expect of the dragons. There's a strong chance we'll be seeing them next episode.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#189 Jun 14 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,920 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Some who seem to have died aren't conclusively dead (Brienne, Theon)


Davos, also.

My inkling is that Brienne and Davos are alive. I'm almost positive that's the case with Davos in particular, as POV characters are almost never killed out-of-scene.

Quote:
My main problem is that the wolves aren't big enough. Sure, they might not be full grown yet, but still.


But what would you have them do with the wolves to make them bigger? CGI them? I feel like that'd only serve to make them less believable.

Speaking of CGI...I wonder what to expect of the dragons. There's a strong chance we'll be seeing them next episode.


I know, it's a bit of a no win situation I suppose, boost them with cgi and potentially spoil the setting and mood, leave them regular dog size, but that doesn't quite do them credit imo.

Next week's episode is 2 hours I've read? That final scene should have people on the edge of their seats, begging for more. I truly hope so, Dani stepping out of the funeral pyre with her three baby dragons, that should be magnificent
____________________________


#190 Jun 14 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Zieveraar wrote:
Dani stepping out of the funeral pyre with her three baby dragons, that should be magnificent
Except she's gonna be bald Smiley: bah
Edit:
Quote:
Davos, also.

Forgot about him. Yeah, pretty sure he'll still be alive. I think Brienne is as well, as I think I read who the POV characters are in book 5 and those are two of them.

Edited, Jun 14th 2011 4:59pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#191 Jun 15 2011 at 5:46 PM Rating: Decent
Does it from behind...
Avatar
*****
13,048 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
Elinda wrote:
They should have guessed what the outcome would be when Boromir was cast as Ned.


There seems to be an awful lot of Sean Bean fans out there who aren't cognisant of the vast majority of his ouvre!

So many posters are gnashing their teeth that Sean Bean was chosen for a part that would be killed off in the first season, after being promoted and directed as the series "main" character, the nicest, most admirable character. They say they only tried out GoT bc they recognised Sean Bean. They feel tricked. (Of course, probably because, like all the book readers, they are devastated by the death of Ned, and their pain has become outrage.) It's remarkable how attached we get to fictional characters.

There hasn't been much time in the series to flesh people out. Much more time in the books to create the complexities of such individual characters.

As a newbie to the series at the start of the show, I've been completely fine with how it's played out; it makes it more interesting to me because it's a realistic view on how fantasy as a genre should be.

As my brother phrased it to me as I was texting him after the first episode: "there really aren't any good guys and bad guys, just some people who aren't pricks and some people that are". I can definitely see that now after we're eight episodes in, and it's just made me like the series more.

Though it doesn't hurt that the visuals, sounds, and effects are amazing, as well as having some talented actors in the major roles.
____________________________
The·oph·a·ny (thē-ŏf'ə-nē)
An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
Rogue Hunter
#192 Jun 16 2011 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
I'm slowly catching up. I watched episode 8 last night. It's one of those things where it's like, "gawww why doesn't anyone believe him!!" (referring to Ned)

I read some comments earlier that didn't have spoiler tags so I know what's coming up in episode 9 I'm sure. Though after seeing 7 and 8 it probably wouldn't be too hard to see it coming. I'll just have to see how it plays out. Hopefully I can watch it tonight after class.
#193 Jun 16 2011 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Overlord Theophany wrote:

As my brother phrased it to me as I was texting him after the first episode: "there really aren't any good guys and bad guys, just some people who aren't pricks and some people that are".
This is probably the most accurate overview of the series' characters ever. Pretty perceptive of your brother! Everyone has good sides and bad sides to them (ok, a few are totally evil so far as we know and some are too young to be declared anything but "good," but "innocent" is a better wording for it).

Only really "evil" characters so far have been:The Mountain, the **** Mummers, Bolton's Bastard, and some of the soldiers. Only really innocent characters are Myrcella and Tommen, IMO (figures they're Lannisters, huh?). Everyone else plays a double game, especially the Stark children... or at least the girls. Rickon is practically a feral child, and Bran is relatively innocent but not really "good." Robb is just like his dad, and Jon is similar to Ned, but quite different as well.

Edit: I could say Joffrey is evil, but he's only like 13. He is a sadist*, however, which is a dangerous trait in a king. I feel if Robert had actually taken an interest in his son, he could have tempered that anger. He might have turned out more like say, Roose Bolton rather than his bastard. They're both bad, but at least one channels his masochism.

*Oops, thanks Eske.

Edited, Jun 16th 2011 2:28pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#194 Jun 16 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Overlord Theophany wrote:

As my brother phrased it to me as I was texting him after the first episode: "there really aren't any good guys and bad guys, just some people who aren't pricks and some people that are".
This is probably the most accurate overview of the series' characters ever. Pretty perceptive of your brother! Everyone has good sides and bad sides to them (ok, a few are totally evil so far as we know and some are too young to be declared anything but "good," but "innocent" is a better wording for it).

Only really "evil" characters so far have been:The Mountain, the **** Mummers, Bolton's Bastard, and some of the soldiers. Only really innocent characters are Myrcella and Tommen, IMO (figures they're Lannisters, huh?). Everyone else plays a double game, especially the Stark children... or at least the girls. Rickon is practically a feral child, and Bran is relatively innocent but not really "good." Robb is just like his dad, and Jon is similar to Ned, but quite different as well.

Edit: I could say Joffrey is evil, but he's only like 13. He is a masochist, however, which is a dangerous trait in a king. I feel if Robert had actually taken an interest in his son, he could have tempered that anger. He might have turned out more like say, Roose Bolton rather than his bastard. They're both bad, but at least one channels his masochism.

Edited, Jun 16th 2011 11:47am by LockeColeMA


I think you mean "sadist", not masochist.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#195 Jun 16 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Overlord Theophany wrote:

As my brother phrased it to me as I was texting him after the first episode: "there really aren't any good guys and bad guys, just some people who aren't pricks and some people that are".
This is probably the most accurate overview of the series' characters ever. Pretty perceptive of your brother! Everyone has good sides and bad sides to them (ok, a few are totally evil so far as we know and some are too young to be declared anything but "good," but "innocent" is a better wording for it).

Only really "evil" characters so far have been:The Mountain, the **** Mummers, Bolton's Bastard, and some of the soldiers. Only really innocent characters are Myrcella and Tommen, IMO (figures they're Lannisters, huh?). Everyone else plays a double game, especially the Stark children... or at least the girls. Rickon is practically a feral child, and Bran is relatively innocent but not really "good." Robb is just like his dad, and Jon is similar to Ned, but quite different as well.

Edit: I could say Joffrey is evil, but he's only like 13. He is a masochist, however, which is a dangerous trait in a king. I feel if Robert had actually taken an interest in his son, he could have tempered that anger. He might have turned out more like say, Roose Bolton rather than his bastard. They're both bad, but at least one channels his masochism.

Edited, Jun 16th 2011 11:47am by LockeColeMA


I think you mean "sadist", not masochist.
Yes, sorry. Was writing too quick. Actually, he hates getting hurt. Pansy Smiley: lol
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#196 Jun 20 2011 at 12:46 AM Rating: Good
It's a good thing something cool happened at the end of episode 10, 'cause I hated most of the rest of it. My 2 favorite characters be dead already!
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the **** out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#197 Jun 20 2011 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,921 posts
Other characters' storylines pick up, and they go through a lot. Sometimes that leads to personal evolution, and sometimes it leads to devolution. Some characters develop their personal skills or powerbases further. You'll definitely develop new favourites.

Things will go sideways, things will go ghastly, new favourites will be killed or maimed. Anyone still alive at the end of book 4 is doing well.

Edited, Jun 20th 2011 9:31am by Aripyanfar
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#198 Jun 20 2011 at 7:55 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,896 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
It's a good thing something cool happened at the end of episode 10, 'cause I hated most of the rest of it. My 2 favorite characters be dead already!
Most of it was just the outfall from Ned's beheading. I will miss Khal Drogo. I wasn't nearly so attached to the literary character. It must simply be his looks.

The baby dragons were stupid. They're not babies at all. They look like full adult dragons, with teeth, claws, wings, etc,... only in miniature.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#199 Jun 20 2011 at 8:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,948 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
Things will go sideways, things will go ghastly,
There are some good general rules of thumb, including these ones Smiley: tongue
If someone discusses a plan, it will never pan out.
Arya will never end up where she thinks she's doing.
There are seven kingdoms, of which the Riverlands, the Vale of Arryn, Winterfell, and Casterly Rock are but four. The others will be discussed to death later on (Dorne, the Iron Isles, and Dragonstone's territory). By the end of the fourth book, you'll wish there had only been four kingdoms Smiley: nod

Edit: Still need to see the last episode, that's my plan tonight.

Edited, Jun 20th 2011 10:07am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#200 Jun 20 2011 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Joff is somehow even more evil on screen than in print, and that's saying something.

I really hope he get's married soon, if you know what I mean.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#201 Jun 20 2011 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
Omegavegeta wrote:
It's a good thing something cool happened at the end of episode 10, 'cause I hated most of the rest of it. My 2 favorite characters be dead already!
Most of it was just the outfall from Ned's beheading. I will miss Khal Drogo. I wasn't nearly so attached to the literary character. It must simply be his looks.


Yeah...guess it's the looks? I've never found him particularly compelling. He's kind of simple, and you can easily construe him as an evil character who just happens to treat his wife nice (after buying and raping her, at that).

Don't get me wrong, he has some cool moments; it's just that I find Dany's story gets about 10x more interesting once he's out of the picture.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CDT
TirithRR, Anonymous Guests (19)