Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Rebuild of EvangelionFollow

#1 Nov 16 2009 at 12:08 AM Rating: Good
**
574 posts
Aka RoE. Possible spoilers Ahead, be warned.







1.0 was released in 2007, and I found out about it over at 4chan (torrents) a few months back.

Managed to watch 2.0 in the theatres over the weekend.

Having watched the original series back in the late 90s, I find myself comparing the scenes and generally trying to spot the differences. I still enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

1.0 has mainly has the same storyline minus the lull moments and covers up til the cube angel that tries to drill its way down to NERV.

2.0 picks up from where 1.0 left off and is mostly different from the original. Alot of kick *** new scenes added in and even a new character. Asuka gets a new surname. Shinji is less wussy (there's a gurren lagaan reference near the end sequence, I think).

You may not understand what is going on in 2.0 if you have never watched the original Eva animation before though.


I just might go back to the theaters to watch 2.0 again this weekend. It just isn't the same as watching at home with my lame PC speakers.








____________________________
I am a Lurker
Androz the Warlock wrote:
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Arena is a fearing game for me, so hate meee..
#2 Nov 16 2009 at 4:13 AM Rating: Default
****
5,725 posts
I can't believe they're still doing Eva related stuff. Why would they bother?
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#3 Nov 16 2009 at 6:19 AM Rating: Good
******
49,821 posts
Karlina wrote:
I can't believe they're still doing Eva related stuff. Why would they bother?
Because it sells. Just like how they still spew out Final Fantasy 7 crap.

A less welcome mat like Shinji seems pretty counter productive. I'll watch it, like I said, because I'm a sucker to view things I'd seen as a child done in a new way.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Nov 16 2009 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
It's GENDO! OH BABY!

(Sorry, flashbacks to the best fan parodies of Otakon)
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#5 Nov 16 2009 at 3:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,387 posts
Lecanthi wrote:
(there's a gurren lagaan reference near the end sequence, I think).


If anyone finds this scene on Youtube, please lemme know.


I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
#6 Nov 16 2009 at 5:05 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,915 posts
Karlina wrote:
I can't believe they're still doing Eva related stuff. Why would they bother?

Because it's Evangelion. Everything anyone does to Evangelion makes it better. You just have to accept that.
#7 Nov 16 2009 at 7:00 PM Rating: Good
******
49,821 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
There was no ending.

There was no ending. Smiley: glare
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8 Nov 16 2009 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
12,279 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
There was no ending.

There was no ending. Smiley: glare


Are we not talking about the original ending, or are we not talking about "End of Evangelion"?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#9 Nov 16 2009 at 7:22 PM Rating: Good
**
574 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Lecanthi wrote:
(there's a gurren lagaan reference near the end sequence, I think).


If anyone finds this scene on Youtube, please lemme know.


I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.


The reference is actually very subtle, and you may not even see it the way I do.



The part where Shinji's eyes glow (yes, glow) red when he tries __ _________ ???????, look as though there are spirals in them. Also where the new character activates Eva 02's secondary configuration XXXXX XXXX and her eyes glows green.

Double spoiler protection for you poldaran, pm me if you reeeeeally want to know.
____________________________
I am a Lurker
Androz the Warlock wrote:
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Arena is a fearing game for me, so hate meee..
#10 Nov 16 2009 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
12,279 posts
Secondary configuration? WTF are they now, Gundams!?!
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#11 Nov 17 2009 at 12:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,387 posts
Shaowstrike wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
There was no ending.

There was no ending. Smiley: glare


Are we not talking about the original ending, or are we not talking about "End of Evangelion"?


Can't it be both?
#12 Nov 17 2009 at 12:39 AM Rating: Good
I liked 1.0. Not much was changed from the original but the animation quality seemed vastly improved.

I will watch the rest, as I've always enjoyed finding new ways to look at Evangelion. I liked what they did with the manga, but I never finished it. Does anyone know if it was even finished? (The manga came after the anime)

And not the "new" manga where they're all in high school & superheroes or whatever it is they are. That was just silly, even if the art was decent.

Edited, Nov 17th 2009 1:43am by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#13 Nov 17 2009 at 3:29 AM Rating: Good
**
574 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
I will watch the rest, as I've always enjoyed finding new ways to look at Evangelion. I liked what they did with the manga, but I never finished it. Does anyone know if it was even finished? (The manga came after the anime)

And not the "new" manga where they're all in high school & superheroes or whatever it is they are. That was just silly, even if the art was decent.

Edited, Nov 17th 2009 1:43am by Omegavegeta


The latest I read about the original manga was volume 11 (I think) and there is no sight of an ending yet. The author releases at rate of 1 volume per year. Not really sure why that happens.
____________________________
I am a Lurker
Androz the Warlock wrote:
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Arena is a fearing game for me, so hate meee..
#14 Nov 17 2009 at 5:39 AM Rating: Good
I believe the artist is the original character designer, or maybe it was just the mechanical designer?

Either way, I'm sure he's busy.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#15 Nov 17 2009 at 6:05 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,821 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Shaowstrike wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
There was no ending.

There was no ending. Smiley: glare
Are we not talking about the original ending, or are we not talking about "End of Evangelion"?
Can't it be both?
I reject both of their existences.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#16 Nov 17 2009 at 7:11 AM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
12,279 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Shaowstrike wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
There was no ending.

There was no ending. Smiley: glare
Are we not talking about the original ending, or are we not talking about "End of Evangelion"?
Can't it be both?
I reject both of their existences.


I liked "End of Evangelion", it was much better than that mind **** that tried to explain that Shinji's life was connected to humanity's existence. He goes, they go; it shouldn't have been that complicated to show to the audience.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#17 Nov 18 2009 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
******
49,821 posts
Shaowstrike wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Shaowstrike wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm just not sure I could handle watching Eva again. It's a good anime, but it's so soul crushing. And then there was the ending.
There was no ending.

There was no ending. Smiley: glare
Are we not talking about the original ending, or are we not talking about "End of Evangelion"?
Can't it be both?
I reject both of their existences.
I liked "End of Evangelion", it was much better than that mind @#%^ that tried to explain that Shinji's life was connected to humanity's existence. He goes, they go; it shouldn't have been that complicated to show to the audience.
I liked EoE until the part at the hospital. Oh, and any part that had Asuka abused in some manner was okay.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#18 Nov 18 2009 at 3:42 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,915 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I liked EoE until the part at the hospital. Oh, and any part that had Asuka abused in some manner was okay.

But the hospital scene did have Asuka abused in some manner.Also it was an amazing scene that epitomized Shinji's self-loathing.
#19 Nov 18 2009 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
103 posts
If it's real I will looking forward on it..
____________________________
http://bit.ly/AOforme
#20 Nov 19 2009 at 5:48 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,821 posts
Allegory wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
I liked EoE until the part at the hospital. Oh, and any part that had Asuka abused in some manner was okay.

But the hospital scene did have Asuka abused in some manner.Also it was an amazing scene that epitomized Shinji's self-loathing.
It also epitomized my loathing of Shinji! Smiley: motz
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#21 Nov 19 2009 at 7:59 PM Rating: Default
*
103 posts
The plot is largely a point-for-point adaptation of episodes one through six of the original anime. While some scenes and events are replications of the original series, others unfold differently with new or omitted scenes and newly-available 3D CG technology.[6] The film received a positive response from fans, with Hideaki Anno himself calling it a "faithful remake of the original series".
____________________________
http://bit.ly/AOforme
#22 Nov 21 2009 at 2:48 PM Rating: Good
The hospital scene is the first thing I tell people about Evangelion...I think it's excellent.
____________________________
[ffxisig]188740[/ffxisig]
Busa's Cloth Guide 1-100
Zaredx wrote:
Gjallihorn + Carnwenhan = Green Ranger's Flute! DRAGONZORD!
#23 May 27 2010 at 6:30 AM Rating: Excellent
**
574 posts
Rejoice fellow posters. ROE 2.22 is now finally available streaming on the intarwebz with English subtitles no less!

http://watchanimenow.com/evangelion-2-%E2%80%8B22-you-can-not-advance/

I accept payment in the form of cookies and rate ups (or not).
____________________________
I am a Lurker
Androz the Warlock wrote:
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Arena is a fearing game for me, so hate meee..
#24 May 27 2010 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Rate up for you.

So it's different. A lot more so than previous installments of this "re-imagining" of Evangelion. I thought a lot of it was better, especially replacing Asuka as the pilot of Unit 3 (As well as 2) & having Shinji get dummy plugged then rip Unit 3 to shreds. Jury's out on the new pilot, though.

All in all, good stuff.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#25 Jun 03 2010 at 7:59 PM Rating: Good
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,699 posts
Spoilers: EVERYONE DIES

That's what I say about every anime I watch/talk about now. It seems to come true a lot.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#26 Jun 03 2010 at 10:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I'd have to wonder how that would become true for K-on!.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)