Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

PonyoFollow

#1 Aug 07 2009 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
20,309 posts
Miyazaki's latest. Watched it tonight (in my preferred format of subtitled, from an illegal theater copy obtained some time ago.) I had heard it was based off a children's book, but the Wikipedia page makes no mention of it and attributes it all to Miyazaki.

It's a charming retake on The Little Mermaid, with five year olds instead of teenagers, and matchmaking parents. The undersea king was once a human himself, and somehow fell in love with (and had kids with) what appears to be Owati-tsumi (the Japanese sea goddess).

US version comes out next week (Friday the 14th.) Take your kids to see it.Smiley: nod It's going to be a classic like all his films, but I suspect teenagers might not be as appreciative as other age ranges (because the main characters are five.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#2 Aug 07 2009 at 9:58 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,574 posts
I downloaded a dvdrip, but once I became aware of the proximity of its theatrical release in the U.S. I decided to see it in theaters. I had been waiting forever for a dvd/screener rip to be subbed instead of a shoddy cam version.

I'll be there on the 14th, first showing. Hopefully the dubbing won't be too bad.
#3 Aug 07 2009 at 10:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,414 posts
ZOMG!

One of the theaters in town is gonna have it! ZOMGZOMGZOMG! Smiley: yippee
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#4 Aug 07 2009 at 11:05 PM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Allegory wrote:
Hopefully the dubbing won't be too bad.
Miyazaki films usually get the quality treatment when it comes to dubbing, so I wouldn't be so worried about that.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5 Aug 07 2009 at 11:12 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,574 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Allegory wrote:
Hopefully the dubbing won't be too bad.
Miyazaki films usually get the quality treatment when it comes to dubbing, so I wouldn't be so worried about that.

Yes, but child voice actors are difficult to find.
#6 Aug 07 2009 at 11:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,414 posts
Allegory wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Allegory wrote:
Hopefully the dubbing won't be too bad.
Miyazaki films usually get the quality treatment when it comes to dubbing, so I wouldn't be so worried about that.

Yes, but child voice actors are difficult to find.


True, though it's not too hard to find women who can do childrens' voices well.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#7 Aug 08 2009 at 5:55 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,650 posts
Remember what I said about quality treatment? Yeah, I take that back. I take it the **** back.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8 Aug 08 2009 at 6:27 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
20,309 posts
They got Noah Cyrus and one of the Jonas brothers. Smiley: motz

And people wonder why I watch subtitled versions of stuff . . .
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#9 Aug 08 2009 at 6:30 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,792 posts
Disney cares more about forcing/pushing their next child actors careers than they do the actual movie.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#10 Aug 08 2009 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,500 posts
Sigh... I was so looking forward to this, too Smiley: frown. Oh well, I'll still be going to see it and hopefully will enjoy it >_>.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#11 Aug 08 2009 at 10:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,414 posts
catwho the Mundane wrote:
They got Noah Cyrus and one of the Jonas brothers. Smiley: motz


Baka.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#12 Aug 10 2009 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,211 posts
catwho the Mundane wrote:
They got Noah Cyrus and one of the Jonas brothers. Smiley: motz

And people wonder why I watch subtitled versions of stuff . . .


I'm currently re-watching GTO, and the only non-megavideo is dubbed. It's still got comedy and is still awesome, but how/what they say just sounds down right retarded.

That's got to be the best song I've ever heard. Can I have 30 seconds of my life back?
____________________________
How to beat a warlock 1v1 is simple, call a priest or paladin to come save you.
Manicshock - 80 Warlock
Riine - 80 Warrior
Paka - 80 Druid Zangarmarsh
Never argue with an idiot. They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
#13 Aug 14 2009 at 12:47 PM Rating: Decent
lolgaxe wrote:
Remember what I said about quality treatment? Yeah, I take that back. I take it the @#%^ back.


Well, it's USUALLY true. Although the choice to have James Van derbeek to do the boy in Castle in the Sky was a horrible choice too.

I REALLY want to see this, especially now that you all tell me it's a reworking of the Little Mermaid story. I'll have to go see it with friends though, I've tried to get the bf to watch anime with me, but he doesn't like it at all. I even made him watch Spirited Away yesterday and he didn't like it either! If he wasn't so awesome in other areas, he'd totally be getting the boot for that one.

Okay, while that song was annoying, if you watch the trailer, their voice acting isn't too bad. And judging by the other actors they got (see 2:12), I think I'll be satisfied.

Edited, Aug 14th 2009 1:54pm by PigtailsOfDoom
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#14 Aug 14 2009 at 12:58 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,574 posts
So I watched Ponyo yesterday, subbed. I thought it opened well, but failed to develop consistently or coherently. The movie was trying to emulate the magical scenes of Totoro, but Totoro succeeded largely by being pure imagery. The imagery in Ponyo was strong, but with actual plot development occurring the viewer becomes distracted, and the plot is weak even for a children's movie.
#15 Aug 15 2009 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
Everytime I see this thread, I think it says Poyo.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#16 Aug 22 2009 at 6:46 PM Rating: Decent
Allegory wrote:
So I watched Ponyo yesterday, subbed. I thought it opened well, but failed to develop consistently or coherently. The movie was trying to emulate the magical scenes of Totoro, but Totoro succeeded largely by being pure imagery. The imagery in Ponyo was strong, but with actual plot development occurring the viewer becomes distracted, and the plot is weak even for a children's movie.


I just got back from watching it today, and I disagree. I thought the movie was beautiful imagery wise, and the plot was very cute. I don't tend to compare movies to each other though, and judge them just for what they are.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#17 Aug 23 2009 at 11:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
496 posts
Out of all the Miyazaki movie I've seen, I enjoyed Ponyo the least. Sure, that's just another way of saying I think this is the worst Miyazaki movie I've seen, but saying it that way sounds a bit harsh. It's not a bad movie, I just didn't like it. The plot seems all over the place, resolution just came out of nowhere, and visually, it didn't move me. I see how others can see the beauty of it, I just don't see it.

Mamoru Oshii on Ponyo. That kinda covers what I felt was wrong with the movie.
#18 Aug 24 2009 at 5:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,946 posts
pxcasey wrote:
Out of all the Miyazaki movie I've seen, I enjoyed Ponyo the least. Sure, that's just another way of saying I think this is the worst Miyazaki movie I've seen, but saying it that way sounds a bit harsh. It's not a bad movie, I just didn't like it. The plot seems all over the place, resolution just came out of nowhere, and visually, it didn't move me. I see how others can see the beauty of it, I just don't see it.

Mamoru Oshii on Ponyo. That kinda covers what I felt was wrong with the movie.


Wow, that was a fantastic review! The basic gist of it, for those who don't want to read it, is that this movie was a "pure" Miyazaki film. Usually he has other directors helping him out, but this was pretty much him doing it on his own. The result was a visually beautiful film that, looking at each scene individually, is amazing... but taking them together there is a lack of cohesion, little structure, and not much dialogue. It is supposed to be very enchanting to watch, but it practically isn't a "movie." It was a chance for Miyazaki to put his imagination to film, but the result makes for a poorer movie overall.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#19 Aug 24 2009 at 7:37 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,414 posts
Admiral LockeColeMA wrote:
Wow, that was a fantastic review! The basic gist of it, for those who don't want to read it, is that this movie was a "pure" Miyazaki film. Usually he has other directors helping him out, but this was pretty much him doing it on his own. The result was a visually beautiful film that, looking at each scene individually, is amazing... but taking them together there is a lack of cohesion, little structure, and not much dialogue. It is supposed to be very enchanting to watch, but it practically isn't a "movie." It was a chance for Miyazaki to put his imagination to film, but the result makes for a poorer movie overall.


I don't know what they're talking about. It had enough dialogue to drive the movie and an overall beautiful story at that. I'd personally recommend that anyone see this movie.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (19)