Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Help Me Pick The Next Good Read!!!Follow

#1 Jun 17 2009 at 3:43 AM Rating: Good
*
225 posts
Hi all & thanks for reading :)

It was a sunny day yesterday when I walked out of a book store scratching my head; it was the first time leaving a store without a book in my hand when I have nothing else/new to read. (I like reading a book while looking for party or waiting for events to start)

I have read quiet allot of books in my time, but lately I have been reading fantasies. I have just finished The Yelena Zaltana Trilogy by Maria V. Snyder an excellent read. I haven’t read too many fantasies books so it would be easier just to list the Books I have to let you know what kind of books I like/have.

Age of the Five & The Black Magician trilogies, The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan.
The Godspeaker trilogy & duo logy Kingmaker, Kingbreaker by Karen Miller
The Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders Trilogy, The Tawny Man Trilogy & Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
Here is a few more like Lord of the Rings & Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr by Christopher Paolini and All the Harry Potter Books (yes I know sad).

I was going to read The Godspeaker trilogy again but I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

I am just looking The Next Good Read, Feel free to leave any comments, books or writers you think would be to my liking or even your top five favorite Book.
Mine are
1. Last of the Wild by Trudi Canavan
2. Prey by Michael Crichton
3. The Riven Kingdom by Karen Miller
4. The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth
5. Darwin's Children by Greg Bear

Sorry for the long post

Cheers Smiley: smile

O yes why are most of the good fantasy writers woman Smiley: confused??
____________________________
Cly >>>>> Asura Windy(Rules) 10
War 99, Whm 99, Rdm 99, Blm 99, Drk 99, Drg 99, Thf 99, Bst 99, Pld 99, Sam 99, Smn 99, Brd 99 Nin 49, Dnc 50, Cor 46

Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.
George Orwell
#2 Jun 17 2009 at 9:52 AM Rating: Good
***
2,919 posts
Try out the "Lyonesse" trilogy by Jack Vance. A very fun fantasy read, very Vancesque in characters, ideas and events. It starts out fairly slow though, but there's a bit of everything in it. Magic, intrigue, plenty of action, love, hate,...

I don't really have a top five myself, the books I favor change constantly, depending on mood mostly, although a couple are always a favourite. Five I really enjoy are:

The Shining by Stephen King
Eye of Cat by Roger Zelazny
Maze of Death by Philip K. ****
Sovereign Stone by Weis&Hickman (part one mostly though, parts two and three weren't bad but completely different set of characters and setting, very poor ending too imo, but then I dislike most of their endings)
Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro

But again, if I were to think about it tomorrow, I'ld put others in it. (although the first three tend to stick around in most of my lists)
____________________________


#3 Jun 17 2009 at 8:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,180 posts
Start on the BattleTech series of books and work your way up into the Dark Age.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#4 Jun 18 2009 at 12:48 AM Rating: Decent
*
225 posts
Zieveraar wrote:
Try out the "Lyonesse" trilogy by Jack Vance. A very fun fantasy read, very Vancesque in characters, ideas and events. It starts out fairly slow though, but there's a bit of everything in it. Magic, intrigue, plenty of action, love, hate,...
I do remember reading Mazirian the Magician by Jack Vance (Very old fantasy Novel from the 50's or 60's small book) and it did start very slow come to think of it too slow it did have it's moments but there wasn't to many. I think it is why I didn’t look in to any of Jack Vance's other books. I will have a look at Lyonesse from the small plot I have read it look good.

O & Stephen King Rules. Smiley: nod

Shaowstrike wrote:
Start on the BattleTech series of books and work your way up into the Dark Age.
I have never read any of the BattleTech series, I think every time I see them (and there over 70 different books) they look way to Science Fiction for me.

Thank you for your replies Smiley: smile
____________________________
Cly >>>>> Asura Windy(Rules) 10
War 99, Whm 99, Rdm 99, Blm 99, Drk 99, Drg 99, Thf 99, Bst 99, Pld 99, Sam 99, Smn 99, Brd 99 Nin 49, Dnc 50, Cor 46

Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.
George Orwell
#5 Jun 18 2009 at 6:52 AM Rating: Good
***
2,919 posts
Warlord clyment wrote:
Zieveraar wrote:
Try out the "Lyonesse" trilogy by Jack Vance. A very fun fantasy read, very Vancesque in characters, ideas and events. It starts out fairly slow though, but there's a bit of everything in it. Magic, intrigue, plenty of action, love, hate,...
I do remember reading Mazirian the Magician by Jack Vance (Very old fantasy Novel from the 50's or 60's small book) and it did start very slow come to think of it too slow it did have it's moments but there wasn't to many. I think it is why I didn’t look in to any of Jack Vance's other books. I will have a look at Lyonesse from the small plot I have read it look good.

O & Stephen King Rules. Smiley: nod

Shaowstrike wrote:
Start on the BattleTech series of books and work your way up into the Dark Age.
I have never read any of the BattleTech series, I think every time I see them (and there over 70 different books) they look way to Science Fiction for me.

Thank you for your replies Smiley: smile


I've never been a big fan of Vance's "Dying Earth tales", they're all bundled in one fantasy masterpiece edition, but I definitely prefer his work after that. He's written a whole bunch of good science fiction books too, but you're not looking for that. Although his Tschai series are a bit of a mix really, an astronaut gets stranded on an alien planet after the spaceship he's on gets shot down and he travels the world trying to find a way back. There were four books originally I believe, but they're bundled now too.
____________________________


#6 Jun 18 2009 at 5:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,852 posts
Try:

The Malazan books by Steve Erickson, Anything by Raymond E Feist, Talion: Revenant by michael Stackpoole 9stand alone book, but good!), George R.R. martin if you haven't already read his, The first 3 Robert jordan books (trust me on this, you cna probably skip the rest). You might like terry Goodkind.

Mercedes Lacky has a series that has similarities to Trudy Canavan's stuff. Also, the Order wars series by L.E. Modesst would also be most likely to your likeing based on the ones you listed.

If you want more than that, let me know. plenty mroe where that came from.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#7 Jun 19 2009 at 3:21 AM Rating: Decent
*
225 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Try:

The Malazan books by Steve Erickson, Anything by Raymond E Feist, Talion: Revenant by michael Stackpoole 9stand alone book, but good!), George R.R. martin if you haven't already read his, The first 3 Robert jordan books (trust me on this, you cna probably skip the rest). You might like terry Goodkind.

Mercedes Lacky has a series that has similarities to Trudy Canavan's stuff. Also, the Order wars series by L.E. Modesst would also be most likely to your likeing based on the ones you listed.

If you want more than that, let me know. plenty more where that came from.
Wow This was more than I needed thanks you.
I did read Magician by Raymond E Feist a long time ago, but there was a lack of availability of the second one The Silverthorn at the time and then I just forgot about it.
The rest I haven't read, which is nice. I went from scratching my head to headache. Smiley: lolJ/k

Thank you very much for the help guys. I will be skipping off to the store today after work with a list of recommended writers and books. I might look for Mercedes Lackey books first the story did catch my eye.

Peace
____________________________
Cly >>>>> Asura Windy(Rules) 10
War 99, Whm 99, Rdm 99, Blm 99, Drk 99, Drg 99, Thf 99, Bst 99, Pld 99, Sam 99, Smn 99, Brd 99 Nin 49, Dnc 50, Cor 46

Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.
George Orwell
#8 Jun 19 2009 at 8:41 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
6,129 posts
If you like books that have an amazing story, quirky characters and then likes to end the book abruptly within the last 10-20 pages, read all of Kurt Vonnegut's books.


God he is making me bitter. I can't stand this madness.
____________________________
Alla's Arena/PVP Forum

SO I PLAY WoW COOL EH!?

Let that beat build.

Xbox Live: kyNsdub
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CDT
IDrownFish, Karlina, TherealLogros, Anonymous Guests (23)