Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Things we'd be talking about if the forum wasn't deadFollow

#3352 Nov 21 2016 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
Was that the episode where they threw turkeys from a helicopter? That was a pretty good one.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3353 Nov 21 2016 at 10:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
OMG Spoiler Alert!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3354 Nov 21 2016 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3355 Nov 21 2016 at 11:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Helllllooooo... Jan Smithers!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3356 Nov 21 2016 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,202 posts
Turin wrote:
Kastigir wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Kastigir wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Turin wrote:
I couldn't help you out on this one, I picked up a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge a few months ago.
Is that the one that keeps blowing up and has to be shipped back in a specially designed box to contain fires/explosions?

It's the Galaxy Note that catches on fire, not the S7.

False.

I stand corrected, but the S7 didn't get nearly the press that the Note did.


That's because it likely isn't an issue. Even the author of that article clearly states that none of the stories of S7s catching fire can be confirmed.


It's the Samsung WM that explodes, not S7.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#3357 Nov 23 2016 at 8:45 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
Man who spoke out against squirrels gets attacked by jihadist rodent.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3358 Nov 23 2016 at 11:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Never underestimate the squirrels. Smiley: disappointed

The fool is going about it all the wrong way. A "pine cone bird feeder" makes a great squirrel trap, and can be a fun project for the kids as well. You take the pine cone and smother it in lard and then stick some bird seed on it. Hang it up outside with some kind or wire or other harder material they can't gnaw through, preferably overhanging a sizeable drop over concrete, rock, or any other hard surface. The squirrel will climb down the wire to get the food and slip right off the lard-covered surface plunging many feet to the solid ground below.

Now this usually won't likely kill the squirrel outright, instead they are more likely to hobble away injured. This is fine, they'll be done in later by cats or a hawk or something "natural" that will help alleviate the suspicion. As a bonus any remaining squirrels will continue to fight over access to the "bird feeder" leading to some degree of natural selection happening.

Oh, and you'll probably feed some birds too along the way. So be sure to reapply some lard/birdseed every week or two to keep the trap fresh.

Happy Hunting!
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3359 Nov 23 2016 at 3:02 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,399 posts
Heading out for the holiday. Hope everyone else enjoys theirs. See the ... what, five of you, Monday.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3360 Nov 23 2016 at 3:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
I'll stay here and guard the fridge.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3361 Nov 23 2016 at 6:45 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,212 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Heading out for the holiday. Hope everyone else enjoys theirs. See the ... what, five of you, Monday.
Not only working Thanksgiving, I'm working overtime. On the plus side, I can eat until I'm sick.






Six, cock-knocker.Smiley: mad
____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#3362 Nov 25 2016 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,777 posts
FXX is airing every single Simpsons episode ever, all 600 or so in a row over the next 13 days. (Think they did it last year on Thanksgiving too). So every 12 hours or so (give or take) there is another Treehouse of Horrors.

Interesting seeing the same social issues being satirized from 1990 that are currently being done today in similar animated comedy shows.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3363 Nov 28 2016 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
I've lived in New York for most of my life. Outside of work, the two times with my father's work, and the high school graduation cross country road trip I've had no desire to leave. With that being said, there's a few things I've never done because, well, they're not really "New York" things to do. Not only have I not done them, but anecdotally I don't know anyone that has either, and I know one or two natives. One of those things is the Macy's Day Parade. I've seen it on TV, and I've heard legend of it's existence spoken in hushed tones in the darkest of dive bars between the seediest of customers, but as far as going I've just never had any interest in doing so. Mostly because I don't like most of you. Well, not "you" personally ... well, not all of you personally, but tourists from all over the world who come to stand nut to butt on a cold street for six hours looking up and down really slowly as things roll down the street at a blistering less than one mile per hour. The only thing more annoying is if those things rolling down the street were going two hundred miles per hour repeatedly ... like five hundred times. Sounds like a mental condition to me. If the other things that I haven't done aren't obvious yet, those would be the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Tree and the Ball Drop on Military Island during New Years. Traveling time zones to see a tree in a place not exactly known for it's agriculture and a light bulb. Whatever, leave me alone I'm more than happy staying in my nice warm home seeing the same thing on a tv.

So that preamble leads me to my problem. My Achilles Heel. My daughter. She wanted to see the giant balloons live, and I seem to have no way to say no to her. I didn't want to go. My wife didn't want to go. My parents didn't want to go. Her parents didn't want to go. My brother and sister didn't want to go. Aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews? Nope. No one wanted to go either. They're all smart like that. So Thursday, instead of being home, in the nice warm room eating delicious food that I spent all Wednesday evening into early Thursday morning helping prepare. Noooo, I just can't say no so I take the little leech to stand on a street corner for most of the day. I'm literally a whore here, except I'm not getting paid. So I'm a dumb 'ho. And she's sitting on my shoulders to see over the crowd of "you" retards that some how are excited and happy to see this nonsense, so it's not like I can really see much of anything myself. I've never wanted to kill indiscriminately before in my life, and I've seen war.

And the payoff? After an hour of trying to get there because of traffic, six hours of standing in the cold with a bundle of energy threatening to snap my neck (praying that maybe she does), and another hour trying to get back home? The payoff for losing eight hours of my life to boredom, pain, anger, and cold? Did I ever mention that I hate the cold? Yeah, I hate the hell out of cold. I like snow, and snowy days when I can stay indoors next to the fireplace with a warm drink. I know I've mentioned that. But being out in the cold? There are few things I loathe more. At least I've got my nice warm Arctic weather jacket I got for going to Iraq. That thing is beautifully warm. The thing is designed to keep you warm in those horrible snowstorms in Iraq and Afghanistan, after all. The little spawn looks me in the eyes and says "That sucked."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3364 Nov 28 2016 at 10:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
On the plus side, you have years of "Remember the time I took you to that shitty parade you demanded we go see?" ahead of you.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3365 Nov 28 2016 at 10:26 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,049 posts
Think of it as having taught her a valuable life lesson.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#3366 Nov 28 2016 at 11:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Really the best part is that next year she'll want to go to a different thing. It'll be farther away, cost more money, and the weather will be worse. Things will continue escalating until you let one of her boyfriends survive long enough to take her on a date to one of these events.

Then you get to repeat the process with the granddaughter. Smiley: thumbsup

Edited, Nov 28th 2016 9:31am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3367 Nov 28 2016 at 12:06 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,037 posts
My family went once when I was little, to see the parade and the only think I remember was the wonderful window displays at Macy's and Saks. We could have gone to see just the window displays any time after Thanksgiving and I would have been happy to avoid the crowds.

I think the only things I saw in the parade were the giant turkey and Santa on his sled.

I hated the Turkey and still think it''s ugly as ****.
____________________________
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! -ElneClare

This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.
#3368 Nov 28 2016 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,777 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
Think of it as having taught her a valuable life lesson.


That she can make her dad do anything she wants?

(I'm under the impression that little girls know that from birth, though.)
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3369 Nov 29 2016 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
TirithRR wrote:
(I'm under the impression that little girls know that from birth, though.)
They instinctively know men are stupid.

And they're right. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3370 Nov 30 2016 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,537 posts
This is why I don't breed.
#3371 Nov 30 2016 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
In case you are really good at dealing with shit: Help NASA, win a prize!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3372 Nov 30 2016 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Huh, I'd be interested in how they were planning to fit 6 days worth of food/water/oxygen into the space suits as well for that matter, as it seems they're assuming the astronaut would be completely enclosed in the suit for several days as they attempt to race back home from the moon.

Obviously need more nanotechnology. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3373 Nov 30 2016 at 4:39 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,802 posts
I'm assuming some sort of potential power/water/oxygen hookups are involved. Given that this is NASA, they tend to plan for a whole assortment of possibilities, at least one of which might include a scenario where the ship has power, water, and oxygen available, but maybe there's a hole in it and it can't be pressurized for some reason. I have no direct facts, but I'd assume that the 6 days requirement probably has to do with how long the suits can theoretically operate under those conditions (may have to do with filtration systems in the suit? Dunno).

All I can say is that it's a shitty job, but someone has to do it!

btw. My answer is "underpants gnomes"
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3374 Dec 03 2016 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
This is for Kao!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3375 Dec 06 2016 at 1:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Aww, it's cute.

There's going to be a lot of holes in those socks really quickly.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3376 Dec 06 2016 at 4:30 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,802 posts
Do we wait until he's matured and reached full size before we equip him with his laser weapon harness? Or maybe start him off on a baby version to get his combat training regime going as early as possible? This could have wide ranging implications for the eventual wombat army readiness requirements.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3377 Dec 08 2016 at 8:51 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
Between now and December 10, you can upload a photo of yourself to MarvelStudiosHeroActs, and the studio will donate $15 to Save The Children for every post submitted. While that in itself should be enough, it'll also enter you for a chance to win a ticket for you and a guest to see the world premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2.


Edited, Dec 8th 2016 9:56am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3378 Dec 09 2016 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
And it didn't belong to Charles Xavier. Maybe to Apocalypse, though.

this post, in it's entirety, is for lolgaxe's benefit.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3379 Dec 09 2016 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
Beware the Four Horsemen of the Tax Collector.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3380 Dec 12 2016 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
******
49,399 posts
So tis the season and whatnot. Wife and I have been on the phone for the past two days to get our schedules aligned and finalized and are beginning our vacation in the morning, and the final details have all been settled. So if the site is still around I'll see you next year.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Whatever positively aligned word to go with Kwanza, News Years, whatever holiday etc etc.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3381 Dec 12 2016 at 9:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Toodles and safe travels
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3382 Dec 13 2016 at 7:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,173 posts
Travel safely if you're going outside of Porchville. Weather heading your way, so I hear.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#3383 Dec 14 2016 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
And 2016 claims Alan Thicke Smiley: cry Goodbye, Dr. Seaver!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3384 Dec 14 2016 at 1:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Blah, still alive here.

Baby got through surgery okay, and has a repaired cleft lip now. Not the most fun experience to go through, but it went as well as could expected. We're finally getting him off of pain medication now, so that means no more waking up every couple of hours to give it to him. Sleep is for the weak, and I'm not that strong.

Now we just wait for the last of the swelling to go and and get an idea what he's going to look like. It's odd in that it feels like you're going through the bonding process again with a different child. Really weird how much your instinct queues into how a baby looks. Put a new face on a person and it takes a step back to remember you're really working with the same person. It's gotten better as he's started to heal, gotten off the meds, and his personality is starting to come back.

Still weird though.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3385 Dec 15 2016 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Just because this is my surrogate facebook feed at the moment.

I actually walked 7 miles home last night, along the railroad tracks, in the snow, uphill both ways, and all of that other stuff. Eat your heart out Grandpa. City will never invest in a snow plow I'm certain, but I suppose that doing this once every 5 years or so isn't the end of the world.

Next time I'm wearing my boots though. Smiley: glare
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3386 Dec 15 2016 at 9:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Shoulda hopped a passing train like a hobo.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3387 Dec 15 2016 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,383 posts
So I keep reading about all this unfolding scandal about how Trump knew about Russia interfering with the election and how Putin was directly involved, etc. It doesn't really matter and obviously isn't going to change anything given it's the kind of conspiracy **** only Republicans seem to care about but don't this time because it's their guy.

--but I wonder. Let's pretend for a minute that it's all true. What is there to stop Trump from just saying "yeah, it's all true, what are you going to do about it?" What can anyone do about it? Let's say he reveals himself as a real life lizard man from planet Hamburger and openly states that his first priority as president is to ensure all people of Earth get thoroughly seasoned before being deep fried and served to this planet's oppressed native population of brown anoles. What are we going to do? Hold another election? Say the first one didn't count?
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#3388 Dec 15 2016 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Kuwoobie wrote:
What is there to stop Trump from just saying "yeah, it's all true, what are you going to do about it?" What can anyone do about it?

If it happened right now? I suppose the electoral college could vote against him, assuming that they gave someone else the majority instead (otherwise it'd just go to the House). They wouldn't, since the EC is made up of party loyalists, but they could.

If it happened after the EC vote? Not much. Heck, unless Trump was actively involved I don't know if it would even meet the "high crimes" standard for impeachment. Even if it did, we wouldn't have a do-over for the election, he would just be impeached & removed and Pence would be president. But given how the GOP has rolled over on every other thing Trump has said or done, they'd find a way to handwave away a nightly Trump/Putin "How To Destroy America" Skype session.

Edited, Dec 15th 2016 9:49am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3389 Dec 15 2016 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
Given the choice between a Mike Pence presidency and being seasoned and deep fried, I would invest in paprika and garlic! Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3390 Dec 15 2016 at 5:34 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,802 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
So I keep reading about all this unfolding scandal about how Trump knew about Russia interfering with the election and how Putin was directly involved, etc. It doesn't really matter and obviously isn't going to change anything given it's the kind of conspiracy **** only Republicans seem to care about but don't this time because it's their guy.


I'm not aware of the GOP ever complaining in a past elections about foreign interference in the form of leaked documents. Funding campaigns? Yes. But not this. To be honest, we've never seen something like this happen, so it's a bit odd to speak in terms of which side cares or does not care about it historically.

Quote:
--but I wonder. Let's pretend for a minute that it's all true. What is there to stop Trump from just saying "yeah, it's all true, what are you going to do about it?" What can anyone do about it?


What do you mean when you say "it's all true". Let's assume that the original hacking of the documents in question was done by Russians. Let's also go a step further and assume the Russian government was behind this. Did Trump "know" that this was a likely source of the hack? Um... We all have known for like 6+ months, so that's nothing special. While nothing is 100% certain, this is the most probable answer, so one can easily say that "Trump knew", about it. But that doesn't really mean anything.

The question is whether Trump was actively involved in any of this. And the answer to that is almost certainly "no". Much ado has been made about Trump joking around about how if the Russians have the 30k deleted emails, they could do us all a favor and leak those, but aside from being a joke, it's also still failing to make notes of a very key fact. The actual hacking appears to have occurred on March 2nd 2016 (at least, that's the latest Podesta email I could find). My understanding is that other DNC documents that were leaked are even older. The odds that Trump was involved in the background somehow on this is exceedingly unlikely, and certainly the odds that the Russians did this hacking with any specific candidate in mind to help our hurt is also unlikely.

You also have to make a distinction between the leaks and the hacks. Even if we assume that the Russians were behind the hacking (and that's a good bet), that doesn't tell us how the documents got from the Russian cyber folks and into the hands of Wikileaks. It seems extremely unlikely that the Russian government would hand over documents to Wikileaks and just kinda hope that they do with it what the Russians want them to do with it. So you have a second, and even likely a third hand in this. A more likely scenario is a disgruntled Russian hacker (or just someone who works in the government and had access to the data) leaked it to Wikileaks for any of a number of possible reasons. Could just be their equivalent of Snowden or Manning. That's usually how stuff winds up in Wikileaks hands, right? Someone leaks stuff to them, pretty much always without their government or businesses knowledge much less consent.

And that also pulls in the motivation of Wikileaks. While I can assume that Assange is no friend of Clinton, that's *his* decision, not the Russians. He leaked the documents, not the Russians. So if we're to talk about which foreign party influenced our election, it should be Julian Assange, not Vladimir Putin. But one of those fits a narrative better, so that's the one all the conspiracy folks are talking about.

And that brings me to the most bizarre aspect of this. Why? Again, let's assume that the Russians hacked various Democrat party servers and obtained a ton of dirt on them, including their forerunner for president, Hillary Clinton. What would you do with that if you had it? Hand it over to a third party and let them leak it and hope for... what? Not seeing a point here. I mean, if you're a Clinton fan, you see the objective of preventing Clinton from winning, don't like it, and therefor this looks like a great mustache-twirling villain move. But what does Putin gain from this? He's got dirt on the Democrats and on Clinton. The last thing he'd want is to both lose control of that dirt by handing it to Wikileaks *and* along the way also cause Clinton to lose the election and thus lose any leverage said dirt may have had on her and her party. He's spent the time and energy obtaining this juicy info, and then just tosses it away? That makes zero sense.

A far more likely scenario is that he intended to use the information as leverage when Clinton took office. Targeting Clinton and the Democrats makes sense given that they were far and away the favorites to win the election. But he needs her to win that election for the data to have value. So no. He didn't leak it to Wikileaks. Someone else did, and likely did it to prevent the Russian government from having that kind of influence over the US president. I doubt whomever did it had any intention to help Trump, or even any care at all who the GOP candidate ended up being. Even if Clinton won anyway, the fact that Wikileaks had the documents made them valueless as leverage, so the primary objective would have been obtained.

Given that many of the documents actually also detain interactions between the Russians and the Clinton camp, it's far more likely to assume that the Russians wanted Clinton to win, but their plot was foiled, then that their plot was to get Trump in office, and they succeeded. I get that the theories love to see it the other way around, but, as with most such theories, it just kinda falls apart when you examine it.

So yeah. Everything could be true in terms of the Russians being behind the hack of data, but that still doesn't support the idea that Trump is somehow in collusion with the Russians on anything. But, if the actually was, and admitted it (or it was proven somehow), then he could be impeached for that action. Not for knowing they hacked the DNC. That's nothing. But if he's putting Russian interests ahead of the US interests? That's an impeachable offense. Of course, the evidence actually suggests that it was Clinton cozying up to the Russian government, not Trump. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good theory!

Quote:
What are we going to do? Hold another election? Say the first one didn't count?


If he actually violates his oath of office, he can be impeached. But so far, nothing at all done in the election cycle, even if every single bit was true, constitutes an impeachable offense. Also, it does bear mentioning that while there's a whole ton of complaining about the fact that the data was the result of hacking, there's nothing about the data itself being false. So what we really have is people complaining because they believe that Clinton would have won the election if only she'd been able to keep the public from knowing things about her that she didn't want them to know. The degree to which people were influenced by these documents is the degree to which they disliked the picture they painted of the candidate and the people she associated with.

And that, in a nutshell, was the problem with Clinton. She suffered the public being able to see who was behind the curtain, and they didn't like what they saw. Blaming the methods by which the public got to see that is really kinda missing the point here. Are you seriously arguing that you want your politicians to be able to conceal information about themselves, that if released, would prevent them from being elected? How exactly does that work inside your head?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3391 Dec 16 2016 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,383 posts
gbaji wrote:
I'm not aware of the GOP ever complaining in a past elections about foreign interference in the form of leaked documents.


Not that specifically, but conspiracy, "scandals", all that sort of desperate reaching to make x person look bad until something sticks kind of thing. If it were a democrat accused of anything like this it would be a social media outrage that dwarfed Benghazi. Just the fact that Russia is in any way involved would have all the "patriots's" panties in the biggest twist anyone ever saw. But no, phh, it's just Donald Trump. We can trust that guy.

Quote:
If he actually violates his oath of office, he can be impeached.


Jophiel wrote:

If it happened after the EC vote? Not much. Heck, unless Trump was actively involved I don't know if it would even meet the "high crimes" standard for impeachment. Even if it did, we wouldn't have a do-over for the election, he would just be impeached & removed and Pence would be president.



Ok, that's what I thought. That is more or less as good as nothing, either way. --if it means just putting the next best thing in his place I mean.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#3392 Dec 19 2016 at 1:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
So I keep reading about all this unfolding scandal about how Trump knew about Russia interfering with the election and how Putin was directly involved, etc. It doesn't really matter and obviously isn't going to change anything given it's the kind of conspiracy **** only Republicans seem to care about but don't this time because it's their guy.
Our great friends in Eurasia would never do such a thing. Smiley: disappointed

Solution would be the same as in any other country, hope for a military coup followed by a period of lengthy temporary measures and emergency declarations.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3393 Dec 19 2016 at 2:31 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
Aren't we obligated to arm some rebels somewhere? It's in the constitution or something, right?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3394 Dec 19 2016 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,250 posts
My understanding is that we're obligated to sell them weapons at a discounted rate in return for natural resource exploitation rights.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3395 Dec 19 2016 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,802 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I'm not aware of the GOP ever complaining in a past elections about foreign interference in the form of leaked documents.


Not that specifically, but conspiracy, "scandals", all that sort of desperate reaching to make x person look bad until something sticks kind of thing.


Which is not something remotely limited to the GOP, and (IMHO) is more a standard of the Democrats as a party than the other way around. Remember Romney's dog? Totally made up "scandal". Um... Palin could "see Russia from my house" (something she never actually said, but was uttered by Tina Fey when playing her in a skit, but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good narrative). The Democrats (well, really their surrogates in the media) have a long history of taking the slightest thing that is uttered or done by a GOP candidate that can be even possibly twisted around and made to look dumb or dangerous, and make it look that way. Then repeat it over and over.

That's not to say that the GOP (or their surrogates) don't do the same sorts of things, but I think the biggest difference is how the mainstream media responds to such things. There seems to be a pretty consistent pattern where anything remotely "stretched" is dismissed and derided when it's about a Democrat and jumped on and repeated when it's about a Republican. But that could just be my own biased perception, I suppose.

Quote:
If it were a democrat accused of anything like this it would be a social media outrage that dwarfed Benghazi.


What do you mean by "anything like this" though? I mean, what we have is completely unfounded accusations based on pure speculation that since some in the intelligence community think it's likely that the original documents that Wikileaks leaked were obtained via hacking by the Russians, we can follow with a number of wild leaps to conclude that somehow the whole thing was a concerted effort (conspiracy even) between Trump and Putin to get Trump elected. That's... amazingly weak. Yet it's being discussed with absolute seriousness on the mainstream media outlets (and with near hysteria on the less mainstream liberal outlets).

Anything like this? How about the fact that half of the private meetings Clinton took while working as SoS were with donors to the Clinton Foundation? Still speculation, of course, but that massively smells of pay to play politics (donate to the foundation, get a private meeting with the Secretary of State). The facts of the meetings and the donors are not even in question. How much media has that gotten? Were you even aware of it? Heard about it even once on a nightly news show? Probably not. So scandals where 90% of the facts required are proven and available, with only a small question of motivation involved is not sufficient story to tell, but one where 10% of the facts are present (but don't draw any conclusion) and 90% is pure speculation and guesswork (and inconsistent and irrational guesswork at that) is front page news?

You don't see a pattern here? The reality is that if the same accusations were made towards a Democrat that are being made towards Trump (re: Russian hacking), it would be laughed at by nearly every single major news outlet, and those who did push the story would be labeled something clever to demean them. So Truther, Birther, um... Hacker doesn't work, how about "Putiner", or "Wikileaker". Eh. I'm sure they'd come up with something that would work.


Quote:
Just the fact that Russia is in any way involved would have all the "patriots's" panties in the biggest twist anyone ever saw.


It might. But it would almost certainly be limited to the fringe conspiracy theorist sites, not put front and center in our national media. You have to remember that there are two components to a scandal. The first is the events themselves. The second is the reaction to the event. If no one thinks something that happened is that significant or problematic and doesn't pass any sort of outrage to the public, then it doesn't matter what actually happened. No "scandal" occurs.

There's a point where trying to push bogus scandals backfires in that the public generally accepts something as a scandal or not based on the media reaction and reporting. But objective law is (in theory at least) actually objective and isn't subject to such twisting of facts. I really do think that part of what we're seeing happening right now is a public that has been so convinced of a false narrative about things (and not just Trump btw), that then the expected legal actions (like defection of electors, or impeachment, lawsuits, and other legal actions) don't happen, they conclude that there must be some kind of foul play going on.

On a somewhat tangential point, the same thing happens with all these cases of police shootings of blacks. The outrage is built on exaggerated and often completely false "facts", and when they don't result in harsh legal penalties the bamboozled public becomes shocked and angry. Same deal with a lot of voters right now. They were lead to believe a narrative by the media which downplayed all the negatives about Clinton, while exaggerating those about Trump. This usually works, since it affects opinions and can also affect voting, providing the "correct" and expected result. But occasionally, it's just not enough to succeed (as in this case), leaving a bewildered public to wonder what happened. And that makes for easy targets for allegations of hacked voting machines, Russian tampering with leaked info, "false news" manipulating public opinion, calls for recounts, etc. You've got a whole lot of people grasping for any explanation that they can find for the disconnect between what they assumed was "true" and what actually happened.

And yeah. The "Russians ate my election" is one of those ridiculous explanations that folks grab on to. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous though.

Edited, Dec 19th 2016 6:32pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3396 Dec 19 2016 at 10:59 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,212 posts
gbaji wrote:
But that could just be my own biased perception, I suppose.
It is.


Thanks for a brief glimpse into your shred of humanity, though. That was..kinda refreshing.
____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#3397 Dec 23 2016 at 6:02 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,777 posts
Apparently Carrie Fisher had a heart attack on a flight. No solid details but it was not looking good.

2016 might not give up this final week... Smiley: mad

Edit:
Wish I could find a good clip of Archer telling the Jungle to "Eat a Dick." Or maybe just straight up "Eat a Dick, 2016"

Edited, Dec 23rd 2016 7:17pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3398 Dec 24 2016 at 6:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,292 posts
Last I saw, she was stable, which was a huge relief in the office yesterday.

Link 1
Link 2

2016 already took Prince, it doesn't get the Princess, as well!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#3399 Dec 25 2016 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,777 posts


Another one on the list for 2016. He was still pretty young. Didn't bother looking into it other than a "peacefully at home" headline.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3400 Dec 26 2016 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,507 posts
Last Christmas, I gave you my heart
You shouted "Kali Ma!" and it burst into flames
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#3401 Dec 27 2016 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,777 posts
Carrie Fisher didn't make it. Smiley: frown
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 85 All times are in CDT
Bijou, Anonymous Guests (84)