I really don't know how else to explain it so I'll take one last stab and call it done since I suppose it's not that important to me that you get it.
You have an income of, let's say for round numbers, $100. You have expenses of $400. That's food, utilities, clothes, booze, scratch-off tickets, whatever. No matter what, something is going unpaid and pushed off (not paying a bill, not buying new glasses, etc) If, in a single month, someone hits you up for $20, you reshuffle your spending to account for 20% of your income disappearing. It hurts but you can potentially get by on the other 80%. If no one hits you up, that $20 is immediately soaked into other stuff out of the $400 you need to cover.
If no one hits you up for three months and each month you use that $20 for other expenses then you get to the month where you owe $60. Now, in a single month you need to give up 60% of your income. This goes from "This sucks" to "No ******* way in ****". So you just don't pay it because the threat of Mr. Water Man coming to your door in another six months of non-payment is less of a concern than having $40 to spend trying to fill that $400 hole. That's how a quarterly bill can be more painful than a monthly bill even when both come to the total sum.
There. That's the best I can do. God bless.
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.