Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

DMR in your Coffee....Follow

#1 Mar 03 2014 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
I belong to the classic coffee club at my office - pay 10 bucks a month and drink coffee unendingly. But sometimes the quality sinks to below tolerable levels, or maybe it's 3pm and i don't want to make a new pot, so I keep a stash of k-cups in my desk drawer. We have at three more or less public Kuerig machines in various corners of the building.

I like the Caribou k-cups. Green Mountain, who owns the Kuerig line is putting a dmr in the Keurig 2.0 to keep out those nasty competitor k-cups.

techdirt wrote:
Green Mountain has announced a new anticompetitive plan to maintain its monopoly by redesigning its brewers to lock out competitors’ products. Such lock-out technology cannot be justified based on any purported consumer benefit, and Green Mountain itself has admitted that the lock-out technology is not essential for the new brewers’ function. Like its exclusionary agreements, this lock-out technology is intended to serve anticompetitive and unlawful ends.


Smiley: glare
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Mar 03 2014 at 11:53 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
My coffee doubles to degrease diesel engines.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Mar 03 2014 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Rather than exploring efforts to hack my coffee maker and disable its DRM, I think I'll stick with my trusty Mr. Coffee.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4 Mar 03 2014 at 11:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Elinda wrote:
techdirt wrote:
Green Mountain has announced a new anticompetitive plan to maintain its monopoly by redesigning its brewers to lock out competitors’ products. Such lock-out technology cannot be justified based on any purported consumer benefit, and Green Mountain itself has admitted that the lock-out technology is not essential for the new brewers’ function. Like its exclusionary agreements, this lock-out technology is intended to serve anticompetitive and unlawful ends.


Smiley: glare
Well bummer, my wife just picked up one of those for herself because it's faster and she doesn't want to deal with the mess that is our old traditional coffee maker thing. We'll just be thankful we got one when we did I guess. Smiley: rolleyes

Death to corporations and such! Smiley: motz
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#5 Mar 03 2014 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Elinda wrote:
techdirt wrote:
Green Mountain has announced a new anticompetitive plan to maintain its monopoly by redesigning its brewers to lock out competitors’ products. Such lock-out technology cannot be justified based on any purported consumer benefit, and Green Mountain itself has admitted that the lock-out technology is not essential for the new brewers’ function. Like its exclusionary agreements, this lock-out technology is intended to serve anticompetitive and unlawful ends.


Smiley: glare
Well bummer, my wife just picked up one of those for herself because it's faster and she doesn't want to deal with the mess that is our old traditional coffee maker thing. We'll just be thankful we got one when we did I guess. Smiley: rolleyes

Death to corporations and such! Smiley: motz

I don't think the current, existing Keurig's will be subject to the update of the Kuerig 2.0.

Just don't plug it in to the internet. Smiley: clown
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#6 Mar 03 2014 at 12:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Elinda wrote:
Just don't plug it in to the internet. Smiley: clown
But if they can't monitor your usage, how will they know which coupons to e-mail to you? You're missing out on savings!
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#7 Mar 03 2014 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,678 posts
Tassimo will work fine.

Edited, Mar 3rd 2014 2:20pm by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#8 Mar 03 2014 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Just don't plug it in to the internet. Smiley: clown
But if they can't monitor your usage, how will they know which coupons to e-mail to you? You're missing out on savings!
We see you enjoy Hazelnut. How would you like to meet lonely housewives with similar tastes for the exotic?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 Mar 03 2014 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,225 posts
My office provides free coffee from the local roaster, as well as free tea and hot chocolate. (Even my last small business did as much.)

We also have a free soda machine that is even the envy of all the other offices in the company. (Slurping down a diet root beer right now.)

So while I sympathize with your pain over the a-holery of Green Mountain, I feel somewhat puzzled that your company is not also providing you with free coffee at the minimum. Caffeinated employees are happier, more productive employees, no?
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#10 Mar 03 2014 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
I don't think free beverages are the general rule, though I could be wrong.

I've only previously worked at a bank and restaurants and for family. Sure at the restaurants the coffee was free, but not at the bank. Currently my employer is the gubbermint. No free stuff on the taxpayers dime! In fact under this administration our 'refreshment' policy that allowed the purchase of coffee, tea etc for gatherings (meetings, trainings, presentations etc) was yanked.



____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#11 Mar 03 2014 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
Thanks_Obama.jpg
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#12 Mar 03 2014 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
We're allowed to buy coffee at the cafeteria, or there's a Starbucks in the hospital if you get desperate.

We do get refreshments for major internal gatherings on occasion, but they've pushed back against vendors bribing grad students to come to their product fairs with free food. Seems starving college students are the suggestible type and may have purchased a few to many pipets while under the influence of cheap sushi. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#13 Mar 03 2014 at 1:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
We get free coffee here. Well, before anyone gets upset at that, let me say that I'm aware the coffee is paid for out of company overhead and I'm sure if it was eliminated we could all get an extra nickle a week in our paychecks. I'll take the free coffee though.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#14 Mar 03 2014 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
Let me work my way out of the woodwork to express my rage.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#15 Mar 03 2014 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,187 posts
Do you itemize the coffee on your invoices to clients, Joph?

Tech companies seem to be pretty good about supplying coffee/tea to employees. The soda machine is not free, but it's heavily subsidized (costs a quarter).

I hate the Keurig cups, though. Seems so wasteful, throwing away all that plastic every day.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#16 Mar 03 2014 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
We had these stupid little waxed paper cones in my university. They worked fine, so long as you never wanted to put your drink down.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#17 Mar 03 2014 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
For coffee? That seems like a great way to plan a trip to the burn ward.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#18 Mar 03 2014 at 3:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,915 posts
Saw an article that explained how a person going around with a trolley serving beverages to worker bees at desks was cheaper and more productive for almost every company. The person on the trolly is paid less than the worker bees at desks. Thus it is a waste of of money to have the higher paid worker bee spending time fetching their own drink. So much waste of money that the money saved from the time saved by desk bees NOT fetching their own drinks more than covers for the trolly person's wage.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#19 Mar 03 2014 at 4:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,187 posts
Yes, but can the trolley girl/guy be relied upon to accurately report all of the gossip the worker bees would otherwise exchange around the coffee urn?

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#20 Mar 03 2014 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
If you say the phrase 'worker bee' one more time I'm going to turn this planet into radioactive slag, and I won't regret it.

That aside, I'm pretty skeptical; you can't focus on the same thing without ever taking a break. Making coffee or whatever (I don't drink it myself) gives you a bit of a rest and maybe a few minutes to think. The ritual of making hot drinks for co-workers also helps to strengthen bonds. You know, teambuilding. Everyone likes that.

Everyone that's a soulless managerial @#%^, that is. And who else matters?

ETA: Alright, Samira. That's it. We're moving the hand straight up to midnight.

I think we've had a good run, all in all.

Edited, Mar 3rd 2014 10:07pm by Kavekk
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#21 Mar 03 2014 at 4:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,187 posts
Worker bees.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#22 Mar 03 2014 at 4:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Samira wrote:
Worker bees.


____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#23 Mar 03 2014 at 4:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,225 posts
The coffee girl is secretly the queen bee.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#24 Mar 03 2014 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
Street Worker Bees.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Mar 03 2014 at 4:14 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Anyone feel their skin sloughing off their bones?

No? Drooping a bit, maybe? A few more wrinkles than you'd like, anyone? Help me out here.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#26 Mar 03 2014 at 4:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,202 posts
The coffee girl is the flower that the worker bees yearn to pollinate with their gossip.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#27 Mar 03 2014 at 4:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Kavekk wrote:
Anyone feel their skin sloughing off their bones?

No? Drooping a bit, maybe? A few more wrinkles than you'd like, anyone? Help me out here.
My **** kinda itches, does that count?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#28 Mar 03 2014 at 4:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,187 posts
Sadly, they're all drones. Also, their gossip is less buzz, more zzzzzzzzzzz.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#29 Mar 03 2014 at 4:24 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Rather than exploring efforts to hack my coffee maker and disable its DRM, I think I'll stick with my trusty Mr. Coffee.


More or less this (although when my Mr. Coffee finally died, I splurged the extra $20 for a Delonghi with the slide out top thingie that allows you to fill both the coffee and the water without having to move the whole unit). I personally don't get the whole single cup brew pod systems. It just seems amazingly wasteful. And I almost laugh out loud at the commercials about how you can save so much money buying their reusable pods. Um... Isn't the whole point about paying more per cup for the convenience of *not* having to clean and manually fill something with beans? Why not just get a normal coffee machine at that point and save yourself even more money?

Having said that, I know people who love them. So I guess if they get value out of it, that's good for them.

My work provides free coffee, tea, soda, water bottles, etc. They always had free coffee from basic machines in the break rooms. Sodas used to be charged, but it was cheap (like a quarter). But they also would put bowls with ice and a variety of bottles of water and soda in conference rooms for meetings. So people would basically forage for free drinks out of the conference rooms. They realized that the bowls weren't big enough (cause folks were constantly taking them), so to reduce the need for clerks to constantly have to refill them, they installed mini fridges in the conference rooms and just stocked them with sodas and water. Of course, now there really was no reason to spend a quarter on a drink from a machine, when you could just find an empty conference room and get one for free, so they changed the vending machines to vend drinks for free.

Eventually, that morphed into just having "soda machines" that were more or less just fridges with shelves designed for dispensing soda, and you just open the door and take what you want. Seems silly to pay money for a vending machine to do what a basic fridge can do, right?

They also keep changing the coffee machine. They still have some of the old fashioned brewed pot machines, but have shifted to a couple different varieties of fancy dispensing machines that make your coffee (or a variety of drinks) on the fly. Ridiculous waste of money IMO, but someone must have thought it was a great idea.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Mar 04 2014 at 9:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,340 posts
gbaji wrote:
And I almost laugh out loud at the commercials about how you can save so much money buying their reusable pods. Um... Isn't the whole point about paying more per cup for the convenience of *not* having to clean and manually fill something with beans? Why not just get a normal coffee machine at that point and save yourself even more money?

Some people just want one cup of coffee a day, so it works out for them. I mean, you could just make half a pot using a regular pot, but that requires measuring things first thing when you wake up.

But if you really want to save money on your morning coffee, you just realize the infallible truth that coffee is disgusting and stop drinking it.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#31 Mar 04 2014 at 9:46 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
A good economically-minded environmentalist would create a secondary market to recycle or reuse those little cups.

You can buy non-disposable cups and refill them - more work than using single-serve disposables, but less than making a whole pot of coffee.

One guy here at my office reuses the disposable cups. I think it's wasteful as he washes it thoroughly between uses and has to create this false cover out of scotch tape.

I only use the k-cups occasionally at work, never at home. At home I only use whole beans and grind my coffee just before brewing - there is no replacing that freshness.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#32 Mar 04 2014 at 10:20 AM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
29,257 posts
K-cups are clearly for people who drink a lot less coffee than we do. I'm not really sure who those people are, but I guess someone, somewhere says "well I don't want to make a pot of coffee, I could never drink all of that in an hour"

K cups are what, $.50 a cup? The magical caffeinated wonderland that is Cafe Bustelo is $3 for a 10 ounce can, which makes like 70 cups. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?>??
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#33 Mar 04 2014 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
On and off topic, but I can't remember the last time I saw a packet of coffee in my MRE. Not that they're not in there, just that I can't really remember. I know they at least used to be in there. Are they still?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#34 Mar 04 2014 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,037 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
K-cups are clearly for people who drink a lot less coffee than we do. I'm not really sure who those people are, but I guess someone, somewhere says "well I don't want to make a pot of coffee, I could never drink all of that in an hour"

K cups are what, $.50 a cup? The magical caffeinated wonderland that is Cafe Bustelo is $3 for a 10 ounce can, which makes like 70 cups. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?>??
I drink 1 cup of coffee a day and I don't care much for the quality as long as it's not appalling. Those cups are still awfully overpriced though.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#35 Mar 04 2014 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
******
30,638 posts
Elinda wrote:
A good economically-minded environmentalist would create a secondary market to recycle or reuse those little cups.

You can buy non-disposable cups and refill them - more work than using single-serve disposables, but less than making a whole pot of coffee.

One guy here at my office reuses the disposable cups. I think it's wasteful as he washes it thoroughly between uses and has to create this false cover out of scotch tape.

I only use the k-cups occasionally at work, never at home. At home I only use whole beans and grind my coffee just before brewing - there is no replacing that freshness.


Why can't you reuse the cup that the original coffee came in? Buy a bag or a can or a plastic jug or whatever coffee comes in these days and use the little cup as a scoop to make just one cup?

I've never seen them, as I don't make or drink coffee, so this is an honest question.
#36 Mar 04 2014 at 11:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Some people just want one cup of coffee a day, so it works out for them. I mean, you could just make half a pot using a regular pot, but that requires measuring things first thing when you wake up.

Measuring two tablespoons of coffee doesn't seem like such a burden but I guess I'm not in the K-Cup people's target demographic. I usually make at least four "cups" (one mug seems to hold two cups) just in case I want more later. Even if I dump it, four tablespoons of coffee has to be cheaper than 50¢.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#37 Mar 04 2014 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Elinda wrote:
A good economically-minded environmentalist would create a secondary market to recycle or reuse those little cups.

You can buy non-disposable cups and refill them - more work than using single-serve disposables, but less than making a whole pot of coffee.

One guy here at my office reuses the disposable cups. I think it's wasteful as he washes it thoroughly between uses and has to create this false cover out of scotch tape.

I only use the k-cups occasionally at work, never at home. At home I only use whole beans and grind my coffee just before brewing - there is no replacing that freshness.


Why can't you reuse the cup that the original coffee came in? Buy a bag or a can or a plastic jug or whatever coffee comes in these days and use the little cup as a scoop to make just one cup?

I've never seen them, as I don't make or drink coffee, so this is an honest question.

You can reuse the cups though they're not designed for more than one use. The cover needs replacing each time it's used as the machine punctures it. Also, you'd want to wash the cup before reusing. That creates waste also.

Btw, k-cups are not just for coffee anymore, you can get hot cocoa, iced tea, hot tea, cappuccino, etc k-cups too.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#38 Mar 04 2014 at 11:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
Btw, k-cups are not just for coffee anymore, you can get hot cocoa, iced tea, hot tea, cappuccino, oppressive DRM, etc k-cups too.

Indeed.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#39 Mar 04 2014 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
On and off topic, but I can't remember the last time I saw a packet of coffee in my MRE. Not that they're not in there, just that I can't really remember. I know they at least used to be in there. Are they still?

Folger's Singles or basically coffee bags - I used to buy them for family camping trips as it was a real pita to perk a pot morning and night just for myself. They weren't good but contained caffeine they are better than instant.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#40 Mar 04 2014 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Btw, k-cups are not just for coffee anymore, you can get hot cocoa, iced tea, hot tea, cappuccino, oppressive DRM, etc k-cups too.

Indeed.

gurl-in-a-cup?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#41 Mar 04 2014 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
29,257 posts
Btw, k-cups are not just for coffee anymore, you can get hot cocoa, iced tea, hot tea, cappuccino, etc k-cups too.

Yeah at $30 a pound, you should be able to get lobster meat, too. Christ Americans are a stupid people. These machines make sense for consumer facing businesses, like car repair waiting rooms, or corporate break rooms, but VIRTUALLY NO ONE ELSE. Two ingredients, assholes. TWO. An amazing drip coffee maker costs like $10. I need to go invent a disposable one use shoe tying system to replace laces that costs $1 each.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#42 Mar 04 2014 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
Btw, k-cups are not just for coffee anymore, you can get hot cocoa, iced tea, hot tea, cappuccino, etc k-cups too.

Yeah at $30 a pound, you should be able to get lobster meat, too. Christ Americans are a stupid people. These machines make sense for consumer facing businesses, like car repair waiting rooms, or corporate break rooms, but VIRTUALLY NO ONE ELSE. Two ingredients, @#%^s. TWO. An amazing drip coffee maker costs like $10. I need to go invent a disposable one use shoe tying system to replace laces that costs $1 each.

Um, someone already invented velcro.

How about disposable hair brushes? You'd never have to clean the hair out of them - one use and toss them. They can be made out of corn cobs or something biodegradable.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#43 Mar 04 2014 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
******
30,638 posts
It's not just coffee I don't particularly care for. I just never really enjoyed any hot beverages. I don't care much for iced coffee, either, though....
#44 Mar 04 2014 at 12:40 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
Elinda wrote:
gurl-in-a-cup?
Woman-in-a-fridge.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#45 Mar 04 2014 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,187 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
Btw, k-cups are not just for coffee anymore, you can get hot cocoa, iced tea, hot tea, cappuccino, etc k-cups too.

Yeah at $30 a pound, you should be able to get lobster meat, too. Christ Americans are a stupid people. These machines make sense for consumer facing businesses, like car repair waiting rooms, or corporate break rooms, but VIRTUALLY NO ONE ELSE. Two ingredients, @#%^s. TWO. An amazing drip coffee maker costs like $10. I need to go invent a disposable one use shoe tying system to replace laces that costs $1 each.



I got myself a new coffee maker for home and the first thing anyone says about it is, "Why didn't you get a Keurig?"

Because they're offensively wasteful and unnecessarily fidgety? I use the coffee maker for coffee in the morning, and then to heat water for tea and cocoa the rest of the day. Grounds are easy to recycle, and I use a gold filter so nothing to dispose of there. I don't need a trash can full of fussy little cups.

But whatever. They've done a good job marketing their coffee delivery system, I guess.


____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#46 Mar 04 2014 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
Use the old coffee maker as a bludgeoning weapon on those that demand Keurig.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#47 Mar 04 2014 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,340 posts
Samira wrote:
Grounds are easy to recycle
My parents just toss them in the back lawn. Apparently it's good for the grass or something.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#48 Mar 04 2014 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Samira wrote:
Grounds are easy to recycle
My parents just toss them in the back lawn. Apparently it's good for the grass or something.

The compost bin loves them. I was using a gold filter, but it was one more piece I had to wash and keep track of. Once I started composting I was able to switch to a recycled paper filter and compost it.

Recycling is all about easing the guilt.

Now if I could only brush my teeth without having to have the faucet running.....
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#49 Mar 04 2014 at 2:54 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Some people just want one cup of coffee a day, so it works out for them. I mean, you could just make half a pot using a regular pot, but that requires measuring things first thing when you wake up.


It requires no more measuring than making a full pot. I normally make a half pot (6 cups, which, just to confirm Joph's measurements normally makes 3 mugs of coffee). I've got the measurements down for this. And if I end out tossing out 2/3rds of that coffee, I've wasted like 5 cents or something. To be fair, I don't make coffee in the morning on weekdays. Just eat breakfast and head to work and have my coffee there. So coffee for me is more about lazy weekend days, drinking whilst playing on my computer or whatever.

Elinda wrote:
A good economically-minded environmentalist would create a secondary market to recycle or reuse those little cups.


Yeah. It's called getting a normal coffee machine for half the price and then every single thing except the used grounds are reusable.

Quote:
You can buy non-disposable cups and refill them - more work than using single-serve disposables, but less than making a whole pot of coffee.


I don't see how this is possible. The effort to make coffee isn't in pouring water into the machine and scooping out grounds. The effort is in cleaning the basket. That takes 10 times more time to do than refilling the basket with new grounds.

This is why I find the entire thought of reusable single cup systems laughable. The *only* reason to use those k-cups is to trade cost for ease of use. You never have to clean a basket of grounds again. That's the only advantage and selling point to them. You're paying 10 times more per cup for that no muss no fuss benefit. Reusing and refilling those little tiny cups just means you wasted a huge amount of money on your coffee machine, while still spending just as much time/effort making your coffee every day, and no longer have the flexibility to make coffee in larger amounts if you want.

Quote:
One guy here at my office reuses the disposable cups. I think it's wasteful as he washes it thoroughly between uses and has to create this false cover out of scotch tape.


Yup. That's so much less effort than making a normal pot of coffee. Smiley: oyvey

Quote:
I only use the k-cups occasionally at work, never at home. At home I only use whole beans and grind my coffee just before brewing - there is no replacing that freshness.


/agree
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#50 Mar 04 2014 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,202 posts
Elinda wrote:
Now if I could only brush my teeth without having to have the faucet running.....


There's this thing called a cup...
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#51 Mar 04 2014 at 2:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Now if I could only brush my teeth without having to have the faucet running.....


There's this thing called a cup...
Why would you brush your teeth with a cup?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 43 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Kaolian, LordMagius, Samira, Timelordwho, Anonymous Guests (38)