1) Not fit: Your IQ is in the mid 80s, you struggled through high-school with a C-average, social skills are lacking at best, and you aren't particularly athletically gifted. There's no real place you've stood out in life that you can turn into income. Darwinism is just against you it seems.
2) Bad luck: Your dad was killed by a drunk driver in broad daylight, your family went from a comfortable upper-middle class lifestyle to a single mom raising 3 kids on a Dept. Manager's salary at Macy's. In short, **** happened to you, and it sucked.
3) Prejudice: You were born with the wrong skin color, in the wrong caste, or from the wrong region perhaps. People look at you and see "poor person" and those are the only opportunities you seem to be able to get.
4) Lazy: You're the hippie/monk-in-the-hills type. You could make more money perhaps, but you see no value in it. Life is to be enjoyed first, or you just don't feel like working today, either way you'll figure it out later. Right now it's time to do a little fishing.
5) Cyclical: You hear rags-to-riches stories and wonder how people do that. You're working hard, but not getting anywhere. Your parents were poor, their parents were poor, and so on back as far as anyone can remember.
6) Disability: A lot like #1 I suppose, but there's really a singular reason here. You have some disease/condition/disorder/etc that prevents you from living a full life, but would likely otherwise be perfectly fine.
7a) Poor Choices: Investing all of the money you were saving for college in that pyramid scheme while having unprotected **** with your high school boyfriend wasn't the most brilliant thing you ever did, and you've been paying for it ever since.
7b) Choosing Poor: You just fell in love with a poor guy, now you're poor. There's no mystery here, you feel no shame, you got what you wanted in life, and there are no regrets.
So that's what came to my head, at least that's all I can remember right now. So why do you think people are poor? Some or all of the above? Are there other big reasons I missed in that little list you'd like to add? Do you think there's some reason(s) that are more prevalent than others? I imagine people have done studies on this or something at some point that I haven't read.
Anyway, since I'm not aware of any multi-choice polling on these forums we'll have to substitute something else instead.
Why are you drunk?
|The hard stuff:||4 (21.1%)|
|I knew I forgot to do something!:||8 (42.1%)|