Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
Reply To Thread

"We're not going to be disrespected"Follow

#102 Oct 14 2013 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
They'll still get paid, so there's a little money either way.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#103 Oct 14 2013 at 6:41 PM Rating: Excellent
I'm just going to leave this here...

Screenshot
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#104 Oct 14 2013 at 7:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Sorry I can't find another source, but this video is pretty interesting. Apparently the House changed the rules of the House on October 1st so that instead of anyone, ONLY Boehner or his designate can bring a bill to the floor of the house that will reopen the Government.

Linky
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#105 Oct 14 2013 at 8:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Buzzfeed has the same video.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#106 Oct 16 2013 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
Screenshot
.

Looks like the T Party lost, completely. Just as everyone but them predicted they would.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#107 Oct 16 2013 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
A picture is worth 1,000 words, and that one has to be worth at least that many... Smiley: lol

Yay, let's end the crazy already! Smiley: yippee

Edited, Oct 16th 2013 3:15pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#108 Oct 16 2013 at 4:28 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
If I understand it correctly, the senate reached a deal and has voted/will vote on is and house tea party has said they won't filibuster so it'll likely go through?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#109 Oct 16 2013 at 4:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
No filibusters planned, and the house says they'll vote on it as is. There's no roadblocks in the way at the moment, and it should have the vote to pass both chambers. Things look good unless something unexpected happens.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#110 Oct 16 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
There are no filibusters in the House but, correct, the Tea Party folk agreed to no delaying tactics in either chamber.

This sort of bill is required to originate in the House so the Senate is taking an old House bill sent to them and rewriting it to reflect the Senate agreement. Then they'll send it back to the House for approval. The same tactic was used to avoid a filibuster during the rapid, last minute passage of the healthcare law coincidentally enough.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#111 Oct 16 2013 at 4:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Well isn't that a funny little twist. I really hope making Obama sign up for his own signature health care package and checking his I.D. income, whatever, when he does (more fodder for the birthers!?) is worth 2 weeks of government shutdown. Smiley: rolleyes

And we kicked the can down the road until mid-January? Oh well, tune back in then everyone!

Smiley: popcorn

Edited, Oct 16th 2013 3:54pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#112 Oct 16 2013 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
Holy sh*t its been 2 weeks already! I wonder how much real news Ive missed amid the media frenzy of finger pointing pundits.

Oh right Canadian government is back too!





Edited, Oct 16th 2013 9:56pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#113 Oct 16 2013 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Holy sh*t its been 2 weeks already! I wonder how much real news Ive missed...

Oh right Canadian government is back today too!
So no news of any kind at all.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#114 Oct 16 2013 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
actually Ill have you know Stephen Harper has spent the extra summer vacation working on issues that really matter to Canadians. We can expect our Conservative government to push for more regulations on roaming fees for cell phones, and finally the ability to pick what channels we get on TV instead of selecting packages full of sh*t for 1 good channel. Ya you lost 3.1 Billion somewhere *wink* *wink*, ya your appointed senators are crooks, ya your party is being investigated for election fraud, and yes we know you aren't chasing 29B in delinquent corporate taxes....but soon I can pick my own TV channels and not worry as much about roaming. I mean **** the economy and our 42% decreased currency value! After all spending over 200 Million on the advertising campaign assures me that everything is working just fine!

Great day for Canadian Democracy, I can not wait.

On the topic of the American Government turning back on, did the republicans really just stamp their feet for 2 weeks about pushing a Clean Bill to solve these problems, only to push through a bipartisan house bill with amendments? Figuratively like a spoiled toddler who got told no to candy in the checkout line "Ill kick and scream and when I wake up I won't remember why I was upset!"

Edited, Oct 16th 2013 10:16pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#115 Oct 16 2013 at 8:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
We can expect our Conservative government to push for more regulations
Smiley: lol

Canadians... Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#116 Oct 16 2013 at 8:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
rdmcandie wrote:
We can expect our Conservative government to push for more regulations
Smiley: lol

Canadians... Smiley: rolleyes


Hey I got billed from Rogers for roaming fees on my cell phone...Apparently 3 months ago I spent 25 days in Ohio (honestly who wants to spend more than one) but thanks to Rogers inferior signal I was being picked up by US towers over the summer. The signal coming across Lake Erie was stronger than the one coming 15 minutes away in London. They dropped the obscene roaming charges when I said hey *********** I am not even allowed to go to the states, I don't even have a god **** passport. (which is true I can't enter USA anymore, Thanks Obama.)

Now I am on Koodo, and get Canada wide coverage at one rate, and never connect to Ohio, because **** Ohio...and Rogers. More so Rogers.


____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#117 Oct 16 2013 at 8:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Sorry, I just have to laugh at the idea of a "conservative government" pushing any kind of regulation. Smiley: rolleyes

rdmcandie wrote:
Now I am on Koodo, and get Canada wide coverage at one rate, and never connect to Ohio, because @#%^ Ohio...and Rogers. More so Rogers.
Telus or GTFO.

Smiley: nod
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#118 Oct 16 2013 at 8:52 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Sorry, I just have to laugh at the idea of a "conservative government" pushing any kind of regulation. Smiley: rolleyes

rdmcandie wrote:
Now I am on Koodo, and get Canada wide coverage at one rate, and never connect to Ohio, because @#%^ Ohio...and Rogers. More so Rogers.
Telus or GTFO.

Smiley: nod


Technically Koodo piggy backs on TELUS network. Its cheaper with less commitment. Check it out!


McCain interview with Anderson Cooper was pretty good. I think he hit the nail on the head, it hurt all government but it hurt the GOP more than anything.

Edited, Oct 16th 2013 10:55pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#119 Oct 16 2013 at 9:21 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
If I was an American.

I would vote on a Stewart/Colbert or Colbert/Stewart ticket. Order to be decided by rockem sockem boxing match or alphabet game.

when they win Conan Obrien can be tabbed as Secretary of State.


If pop culture told me to.




Edited, Oct 16th 2013 11:21pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#120 Oct 16 2013 at 10:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
rdmcandie wrote:
On the topic of the American Government turning back on, did the republicans really just stamp their feet for 2 weeks about pushing a Clean Bill to solve these problems, only to push through a bipartisan house bill with amendments? Figuratively like a spoiled toddler who got told no to candy in the checkout line "Ill kick and scream and when I wake up I won't remember why I was upset!"

Hey now. The GOP didn't accomplish nothing with this. They did manage to waste billions of dollars and give federal workers an extra two weeks of paid vacation.

Oh, and lots of photo ops in front of the WWII memorial. Don't forget that. You can't put a price tag on photo ops but, if you could, it would easily be billions of dollars.
HuffPo wrote:
The government shutdown has taken at least $24 billion out of the United States economy, the financial ratings agency Standard & Poor's said Wednesday.

The firm said the shutdown caused it to cut its forecast of gross domestic product growth in the fourth quarter by at least 0.6 percentage point. The agency lowered its estimate for GDP growth to close to 2 percent from 3 percent.

The estimate represents a staggering cost to the economy of a completely self-inflicted political catastrophe. Unlike the 2008 economic crisis and other past recessions, the government shutdown had nothing to do with larger economic trends. The numbers show Washington's brinksmanship caused real damage beyond furloughed government workers and the Washington, D.C., region.


Oh! And it helped seal the deal for a Democratic governor in Virginia in a few weeks. So, that's something else. See? A regular cornucopia of benefits...

Edited, Oct 16th 2013 11:05pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#121 Oct 17 2013 at 12:56 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,091 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
If I was an American.

I would vote on a Stewart/Colbert or Colbert/Stewart ticket. Order to be decided by rockem sockem boxing match or alphabet game.

when they win Conan Obrien can be tabbed as Secretary of State.


If pop culture told me to.




Edited, Oct 16th 2013 11:21pm by rdmcandie


Technically, you are "American", North American.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#122 Oct 17 2013 at 1:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
Why you gotta hate on South America man? They are American too.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#123 Oct 17 2013 at 1:20 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,091 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Why you gotta hate on South America man? They are American too.


Including Canada as part of the Americas also includes South America.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#124 Oct 17 2013 at 3:05 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,071 posts
Jophiel wrote:
rdmcandie wrote:
On the topic of the American Government turning back on, did the republicans really just stamp their feet for 2 weeks about pushing a Clean Bill to solve these problems, only to push through a bipartisan house bill with amendments? Figuratively like a spoiled toddler who got told no to candy in the checkout line "Ill kick and scream and when I wake up I won't remember why I was upset!"

Hey now. The GOP didn't accomplish nothing with this. They did manage to waste billions of dollars and give federal workers an extra two weeks of paid vacation.

Oh, and lots of photo ops in front of the WWII memorial. Don't forget that. You can't put a price tag on photo ops but, if you could, it would easily be billions of dollars.
HuffPo wrote:
The government shutdown has taken at least $24 billion out of the United States economy, the financial ratings agency Standard & Poor's said Wednesday.

The firm said the shutdown caused it to cut its forecast of gross domestic product growth in the fourth quarter by at least 0.6 percentage point. The agency lowered its estimate for GDP growth to close to 2 percent from 3 percent.

The estimate represents a staggering cost to the economy of a completely self-inflicted political catastrophe. Unlike the 2008 economic crisis and other past recessions, the government shutdown had nothing to do with larger economic trends. The numbers show Washington's brinksmanship caused real damage beyond furloughed government workers and the Washington, D.C., region.


Oh! And it helped seal the deal for a Democratic governor in Virginia in a few weeks. So, that's something else. See? A regular cornucopia of benefits...

Edited, Oct 16th 2013 11:05pm by Jophiel


And now we've got an idea of price of this magical mystery tour.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#125 Oct 17 2013 at 5:57 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,327 posts
My Gov will be so disappointed.

He had declared an emergency last week allowing him to by-pass union contracts and furlough or fire state workers at will. I was given a roster of our employees early this week with all the federally funded positions highlighted, and told to 'prepare' for lay-offs.




____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#126 Oct 17 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Because normal people may actually agree with the guy for once...

Quote:
National Review notes that anti-tax crusader Grover Norquist told reporters that the defunding brigade should “apologize.”

“It’d be a good idea if they stopped referring to other Republicans as Hitler appeasers because they opposed the strategy they put forward which failed,” Norquist is quoted as saying. “I think if you make a mistake as big as what they did, you owe your fellow senators and congressmen a big apology — and your constituents, as well, because nothing they did advanced the cause of repealing or dismantling ObamaCare…They hurt the conservative movement, they hurt people’s health care, they hurt the country’s economic situation and they hurt the Republican Party.”
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#127 Oct 17 2013 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,071 posts
Schism! Schism!
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#128 Oct 17 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
The American government truly is the greatest of all soap operas.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#129 Oct 17 2013 at 11:12 AM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
29,588 posts
Because normal people may actually agree with the guy for once...

Probably not. Grover really isn't a normal person magnet. Now Super Grover....nails.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#130 Oct 17 2013 at 12:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,071 posts
Normal people don't play with puppets, Roo.

Nexa
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#131 Oct 17 2013 at 4:04 PM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
The American government truly is the greatest of all soap operas.
Still no parliament.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#132 Oct 18 2013 at 6:11 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
In Canada we box our way out of house/senate dysfunction.




After this Trudeau became liberal leader, and Brazeau was suspended from the senate for assaulting women.

Edited, Oct 18th 2013 8:16pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#133 Oct 19 2013 at 9:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
A couple not-very-liberal voices speaking about the current Republican blind spot:
Charlie Cook wrote:
Here’s a question for conservatives and Republicans: Going into the 2012 Election Day, or even in the last few days before Election Day, did you think Mitt Romney was going to win? A couple of months ago, did you think the strategy of threatening to shut down the government or prevent raising the debt ceiling, to force the outright repeal or defunding of Obamacare, would really work? Romney lost by 4,967,508 votes, 126 Electoral College votes, and 3.85 percentage points. That’s not very close. Obamacare isn’t going to be repealed this year, and it’s not going to be defunded.

So the question is whether conservatives and Republicans should begin to worry if their instincts—specifically, their judgment on matters of politics and policy—are a bit off. Maybe “spectacularly wrong” would be more accurate. Does that worry anyone on the right or in the Republican Party? Are they concerned that continuing to follow such awful political instincts could lead to catastrophic consequences for their movement and their party?

Obviously, not every Republican or conservative thought, up until the end, that Romney would win or that the anti-Obamacare strategies would work. But this increasingly widespread tone deafness should concern party leaders, particularly when it leads to self-destructive decisions, as we are witnessing these days. In politics, it isn’t uncommon to see judgment clouded by emotion, but when hate and contempt predominate, truly awful decisions often result.

Joe Scarborough wrote:
My children and I love watching Peter Pan. In fact, we’ve seen the Disney classic so often through the years that we could probably recite most of the movie from memory. Maybe that’s why the opening lines came so easily to my mind earlier this week while watching a far less joyful tale unfold on Capitol Hill.

“This has all happened before and it will happen again” are the first words to that sweet movie about eternal youth. Unfortunately, those lines also fit a bit too snugly on the carcass of a political movement that seems incapable of learning from past mistakes. Chances are good that Republicans will continue getting blindsided by political events until Republican leaders stop cowering to public figures who insist on filtering out all realities that are in conflict with their preexisting worldviews.

If this sounds all too familiar, it’s because Republicans were licking their wounds around this time last year after being blindsided by a presidential election whose outcome they should have seen coming a mile away. But ignorance was bliss as conservative politicians and talkers pushed bogus polls and political fairy tales to angry voters who were once again on the losing side of history. Media outlets that released polls showing President Obama winning were attacked as biased and conservatives who warned of Romney’s weaknesses were rhetorically burned at the stake as heretics.

Barack Obama won again and Republican leaders swore that next time would be different.

Well, next time came one year later, and one year later, way too many conservatives once again found themselves shocked by the obvious.

Of course the response to this will be: "Oh, ho! We don't need to listen to YOU!..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#134 Oct 19 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
Obama is a strong leader (at home), he knows how to win. When he was conceding terms over the past few years but still largely getting what he wanted I knew then he was going to rope a dope GOP into a corner. I thought it was going to happen last year prior to the election, but it seems Obama opted to take his chances in beating Romney straight up and save his card to help paint GOP House members as completely incompetent and out of touch with the American public ahead of Congressional Elections in 2014.

Now Obama and the Dems have the clear upper hand moving towards the next vote, and the Republicans kinda sh*t the bed taking a stand here in the middle of an election cycle for no real reason other than to say we still aren't content with that law, only to back down on that stand 3 weeks later when it was clear the American people had had enough of the grandstanding.

Obama and Reid pretty much cemented a house turnaround for 2014 unless the GOP suddenly becomes a cohesive unit, or the Dems @#%^ up (which they are prone to do).

of course that is what I would be saying....if your districts weren't gerrymandered all to sh*t and the likelihood of similar looking congress is very high.


Obama is a pretty crafty looking dude nationally, its too bad Kerry spent a month making him look like a mong internationally (although he is kinda weak).

Edited, Oct 19th 2013 12:06pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#135 Oct 19 2013 at 12:17 PM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
29,588 posts
Obama is a strong leader

No, he isn't.

(at home)

Again, no.

, he knows how to win.


Elections? Maybe. The people he trusts to run campaigns know how to win elections. The people he trusts to further a legislative agenda fuck the dog basically constantly. Winning is not losing the House majority the election before redistricting. Winning is getting your legislation passed quickly. Winning is getting what you want without giving up anything. Obama is a weak president. He'll be remembered for being a weak president. He passed national healthcare...with a SUPERMAJORITY. It took forever, was a weak compromise and he COMPLETELY lost the narrative battle. A "leader" passes that more quickly. A "winner" passes single payer and moves on to other things. A weak president gets run over by the other side and "compromises" when he HAS NO NEED TO because...he's weak.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#136 Oct 19 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
He knows how to win the hearts of men, pluck them out and serve them warm and throbbing to his reptilian masters.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#137 Oct 19 2013 at 4:43 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,091 posts
Smash wrote:
Elections? Maybe. The people he trusts to run campaigns know how to win elections. The people he trusts to further a legislative agenda @#%^ the dog basically constantly. Winning is not losing the House majority the election before redistricting. Winning is getting your legislation passed quickly. Winning is getting what you want without giving up anything. Obama is a weak president. He'll be remembered for being a weak president. He passed national healthcare...with a SUPERMAJORITY. It took forever, was a weak compromise and he COMPLETELY lost the narrative battle. A "leader" passes that more quickly. A "winner" passes single payer and moves on to other things. A weak president gets run over by the other side and "compromises" when he HAS NO NEED TO because...he's weak.


Being in a career where "leadership" is the core value of success, leadership is very subjective. Take Mr. Boehner for example. To a percentage of America, he seemed weak to allow the minority to voice such a ridiculous opinion and change the coarse of the party. However, you have certain Republicans *believe* that he "fought the good fight" and 'twas the Senate Republicans that were weak.

When it comes to leadership, especially within politics, there will always be a percentage of people who will disagree with your way of leadership. This largely goes into play due to varying personal opinions. People are much more critical from the side lines.

This isn't to say that your comments have no merit, but they don't have any more merit than the statement that you are attempting to contradict.

Edited, Oct 20th 2013 12:44am by Almalieque
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#138 Oct 19 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
However, you have certain Republicans *believe* that he "fought the good fight"

That's called politeness and trying to put a good public face on complete failure. Boehner did nothing the entire fight and ended it by failing to pass counter-legislation with a stronger GOP bent through his own caucus. The most he did was not take up a bill that could have ended the "fight" two weeks earlier and twenty percent higher in the polls than what they wound up with.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#139 Oct 19 2013 at 6:22 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,091 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
However, you have certain Republicans *believe* that he "fought the good fight"

That's called politeness and trying to put a good public face on complete failure. Boehner did nothing the entire fight and ended it by failing to pass counter-legislation with a stronger GOP bent through his own caucus. The most he did was not take up a bill that could have ended the "fight" two weeks earlier and twenty percent higher in the polls than what they wound up with.


I don't disagree; however it's not "politeness" because those same republicans criticized the senate republicans for ******** everything up. They honestly believe that he did the right thing. I'm sure you remember that "everyone" thought Boehner was going to lose his speakership and didn't think that the same people who put him into that mess would applaud him for conceding.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#140 Oct 19 2013 at 6:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
I don't disagree; however it's not "politeness" because those same republicans criticized the senate republicans for ******** everything up.

House and Senate are two different animals. McConnell isn't going to be allocating House committee assignments.
Quote:
They honestly believe that he did the right thing.

They really don't.
Quote:
I'm sure you remember that "everyone" thought Boehner was going to lose his speakership

No, they thought Boehner was acting to preserve his Speakership. Which isn't exactly the same thing. What the fiasco really made clear was that no one else would want the job either.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#141 Oct 19 2013 at 7:33 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,091 posts
Jophiel wrote:
They really don't.


By "they", I mean the people who wanted to shutdown the government. Of course some of those people believe that he shouldn't have "caved in", therefore weak. He was going to lose to one group or another.

Jophiel wrote:
No, they thought Boehner was acting to preserve his Speakership. Which isn't exactly the same thing. What the fiasco really made clear was that no one else would want the job either.


His concern about preserving his Speakership was a given, not an assumption. He already agreed to the CR before the House went on Cruz control and initially stated that the Obamacare tactic was stupid. Knowing all of that, all of the sane people knew he was going to cave, it was a matter of when. So, the concern was on how the house would react when he did. Since he waited till the last minute and not instantly, he was seen as "strong" by some and "weak" by others for even listening to them in the first place.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#142 Oct 19 2013 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Obama is a strong leader (at home)
And Romney's business sense would have turned the economy around by now.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
1 2 3 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 59 All times are in CST
Kuwoobie, lolgaxe, Nadenu, PunkFloyd, Tasera, TirithRR, Anonymous Guests (53)