Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Duckworth TakedownFollow

#1 Jun 27 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth, who lost her legs and severely injured her arm during the Iraq war, grills some huckster during hearings about VA-preferred contract awards. I don't have anything especially compelling to add, it's just worth watching.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#2 Jun 27 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Good
She should have dropped her mic after.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#3 Jun 27 2013 at 3:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
The whole "I'm sorry you twisted your ankle in prep school, I can understand, my foot hurts too..."

I'm not sure I've heard anyone get zinged that bad in a long while. Smiley: rolleyes

____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#4 Jun 27 2013 at 5:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I believe (but obviously can't say for sure) that she was referring to phantom pains from her missing limbs.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5 Jun 27 2013 at 5:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,237 posts
Shame on you! <- This just doesn't get said often enough, I think.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#6 Jun 27 2013 at 11:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
He had a fiduciary duty to his shareholders, guys. Blame whoever drafted the law, not this poor guy. Next you'll be asking microsoft to pay tax!
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#7 Jun 27 2013 at 11:57 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
****. Well said. Thanks for sharing it, Joph.
#8 Jun 28 2013 at 7:15 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,744 posts
I keep seeing her name and thinking of the butler from Ducktales.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 Jun 28 2013 at 1:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I remember Gbaji predicting she would lose her race last November. She's the one who replaced Joe "Deadbeat Dad" Walsh.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#10 Jun 28 2013 at 1:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I don't remember him predicting her loss. She ran in a district custom designed for her during redistricting. Gbaji just insisted that no one outside the Chicago collar counties should have any idea who either Walsh or Duckworth was.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#11 Jun 28 2013 at 1:25 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,744 posts
I thought that one was the "Walsh paid for his obligations eventually and against his will so we should like him more" one.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#12 Jun 29 2013 at 10:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,357 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I thought that one was the "Walsh paid for his obligations eventually and against his will so we should like him more" one.


That's how I remember it
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#13 Jul 02 2013 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Not that I disagree with anything Duckworth said. But she's just a congress-critter, not god and not a judge. However she was quite publicly and quite clearly passing judgement on this guy.

My opinion - she was out of line.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#14 Jul 02 2013 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Look at you, passing judgement like some sort of judge or god! Smiley: mad
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#15 Jul 02 2013 at 9:02 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
I know. Smiley: glare

Watching the video was very much like watching an episode of judge Judy. Shamings should be reserved for nosy aunts and drill sergeants.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#16 Jul 02 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Or people with a half billion dollars in government wounded veteran preferred contracts based on a hurt foot while playing prep school football.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#17 Jul 02 2013 at 9:11 AM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
Not that I disagree with anything Duckworth said. But she's just a congress-critter, not god and not a judge. However she was quite publicly and quite clearly passing judgement on this guy.

My opinion - she was out of line.


She's building a profile for herself through PR. This is how it's done. See Elizabeth Warren loudly complaining about investment bank polices and SEC enforcement when she knows full well there is ZERO chance of changing anything. If you're known for being a consumer advocate that's how you grandstand. If you're known for being an injured veteran you do it the way duck-worth did. If you're Rand Paul, you ask Ben Bernake idiotic questions while he sighs a lot.

Then you go and vote the way your largest donor tell you to. Which for Duckworth is basically Labor. Everything she says or does about Veteran's issues will gain no traction and is for entertainment purposes only.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#18 Jul 02 2013 at 9:17 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Or people with a half billion dollars in government wounded veteran preferred contracts based on a hurt foot while playing prep school football.

Some might find it shameful not to take advantage of all that this great country is willing to offer you.

That's where the whole judgement part comes in.

I'd be pretty ashamed if I were the bureaucrat that signed off on the contract.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#19 Jul 02 2013 at 9:17 AM Rating: Good
******
49,744 posts
Prep school football is ****.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#20 Jul 02 2013 at 9:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
I'd be pretty ashamed if I were the bureaucrat that signed off on the contract.

Well, the bureaucrat who helped him get his VA status plead the Fifth so....

As for contact awards, that guy wouldn't have known Castillo from a fallen log so, provided the paperwork was there, I can't see much reason for him to feel bad.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#21 Jul 02 2013 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I'd be pretty ashamed if I were the bureaucrat that signed off on the contract.

Well, the bureaucrat who helped him get his VA status plead the Fifth so....

As for contact awards, that guy wouldn't have known Castillo from a fallen log so, provided the paperwork was there, I can't see much reason for him to feel bad.

Unless the guy was being accused of fraud, someone somewhere made the decision that his injury was sufficient to qualify him to pursue these preferential contracts.





____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#22 Jul 02 2013 at 9:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Duckworth implied that they were still looking into that. Which is probably why his government buddy plead the Fifth.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#23 Jul 02 2013 at 3:25 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,933 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Duckworth implied that they were still looking into that. Which is probably why his government buddy plead the Fifth.


So maybe she should wait to attack someone until after she knows a bit more of the facts? I don't have a clue whether she's ultimately in the right on this issue in terms of waste of VA benefits and whatnot, but the way she did it essentially says anyone who doesn't have their limbs missing shouldn't get any benefits. Which is just pure grandstanding on her part and a pretty blatant "look at me! I'm missing my legs. Feel sorry for me!". It was all about her, and in the process she really kinda made herself out to be a complete a-hole.

If the benefit rules say someone who sprained his ankle gets benefits, then don't yell at someone with a sprained ankle for taking them. Look at the rules and if you don't like them, change them. She chose to go for what was really a cheap shot IMO. But yeah. Grandstanding.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#24 Jul 02 2013 at 3:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
So maybe she should wait to attack someone until after she knows a bit more of the facts? I don't have a clue whether she's ultimately in the right on this issue in terms of waste of VA benefits and whatnot, but the way she did it essentially says anyone who doesn't have their limbs missing shouldn't get any benefits.

Either you didn't watch it or you're a complete idiot because that clearly was not what she said or implied.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#25 Jul 02 2013 at 4:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,357 posts
What Joph said

EDIT: also I vote for the latter option

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 3:41pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#26 Jul 02 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,933 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
So maybe she should wait to attack someone until after she knows a bit more of the facts? I don't have a clue whether she's ultimately in the right on this issue in terms of waste of VA benefits and whatnot, but the way she did it essentially says anyone who doesn't have their limbs missing shouldn't get any benefits.

Either you didn't watch it or you're a complete idiot because that clearly was not what she said or implied.


She belittled minor injuries by contrasting them to her own. It was the "zinger" that folks were talking about earlier. What did you think she was doing with that? Hence my comment that it was more about her playing up her own handicapped status than providing any real contribution to the discussion.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 69 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (69)