Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 Next »
Reply To Thread

A SCOTUS Among UsFollow

#152 Jul 11 2013 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
******
43,369 posts
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
I was under the impression that standard protocol was to take gbaji's prediction, and put money on the polar opposite.
I said "less likely" (than in California), not "it wont happen".
gbaji wrote:
We'll see what happens with this one, but it seems less likely that the state will refuse to defend their own law in this case.
What To Bet On wrote:
We'll see what happens with this one, but it seems more likely that the state will refuse to defend their own law in this case.
As you can see, your not having any confidence in your own comments was already factored into the claim.

So who do you think is going to win in the Robert Stieglitz vs. Yuzo Kiyota card on the 13th?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#153 Jul 11 2013 at 8:46 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,442 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Who watches the watchmen.


I read the comic YEARS before the movie came out!

Also, the AG may choose not to defend it if the AG feels that there is not a winnable case. Much like the AG may choose not to prosecute if there is not a winnable case.


Which should never apply to defending the constitutionality of the law though. How the **** can the AG decide if the case is unwinnable? If it was that clear, it wouldn't be going to the Supreme Court in the first place.

And in this case, it's quite clear that the AGs in question aren't doing this based on that criteria anyway, so my original point stands. They shouldn't be deciding this based on whether they personally like the law in question (or because opposing it fits into their political agenda), because it's not their job to make that determination. Just as an attorney is required to do his best job defending his client regardless of whether he likes him or not (and the state is required to provide one if the person cannot obtain one themselves), the same should apply to AGs defending the laws themselves.

Imagine a situation where you were charged with a crime, and the court ruled that you could not obtain private representation yourself but had to rely on the state to provide it, and the state refused to do so? You'd call that situation "BS", right? Set aside whether we like the person/law/whatever, everyone (and every law, since those represent the will of the people) deserves to be defended in court. Exploiting a loophole to get around that basic presumption of our legal system should be troubling to everyone, regardless of how they feel about the specific case in question.

Edited, Jul 11th 2013 7:47pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#154 Jul 11 2013 at 10:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,524 posts
gbaji wrote:
Imagine a situation where you were charged with a crime, and the court ruled that you could not obtain private representation yourself but had to rely on the state to provide it, and the state refused to do so?...Exploiting a loophole to get around that basic presumption of our legal system should be troubling to everyone, regardless of how they feel about the specific case in question.


I would not be able to equate the two, since you are eliminating one right to ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE make your point make sense. You don't get to create a loophole to defend an imaginary loophole that you pretend exists because it doesn't fit you point of view.

Imagine a situation where you were wrong...that is where, literally, everyone else is at. Now look at the world that you imagined around yourself. You know, where you are wrong. A lot. Like, A LOT.

/Morpheus

Welcome to The Real!

/end Morpheus
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#155 Jul 12 2013 at 7:26 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,664 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
[
Imagine a situation where you were wrong...

You're asking this of gbaji. I think it you'll just get 'program error'.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#156 Jul 12 2013 at 7:48 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,369 posts
Have someone else imagine a situation for you where ...
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#157 Jul 12 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Decent
******
21,717 posts
Gbaji's just butthurt that prop 8 was dismissed. Why are you guys still entertaining the clown?
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#158 Jul 12 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,369 posts
Boredom.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#159 Jul 12 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,664 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
Gbaji's just butthurt that prop 8 was dismissed. Why are you guys still entertaining the clown?
I think gbaji is the presumed entertainment. Only he can answer that question.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#160 Jul 12 2013 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,442 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
Gbaji's just butthurt that prop 8 was dismissed. Why are you guys still entertaining the clown?


My concern has nothing to do with prop8. I'd have the same concern if it were a completely different decision that went in my favor. I happen to think that having a consistent and fair system of government is more important than winning. I know that's hard for many people to understand, but it is the truth.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#161 Jul 12 2013 at 1:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
I happen to think that having a consistent and fair system of government is more important than winning.

That's an excellent attitude for you to have.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#162 Jul 12 2013 at 2:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
26,938 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I happen to think that having a consistent and fair system of government is more important than winning.

That's an excellent attitude for you to have.
The system, of course, is only fair and consistent if it means Gbaji's side wins.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#163 Jul 12 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,174 posts
Well, the defenders of the faith apparently have no interest in fairness.

From the article:

Quote:
But in Friday's lawsuit in the state Supreme Court, lawyers for Prop. 8's proponents argued that Walker's ruling applied only to the individuals who filed the suit, a **** couple from Berkeley and a **** couple from Burbank. The lawyers said Brown exceeded his authority when he ordered all 58 county clerks to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.


So, only the specific couples involved in the suit are affected. EVERY couple must challenge the law in order to attain a license to wed; there is no general application of the findings. Yeah, that's fair.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#164 Jul 12 2013 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
26,938 posts
I hope they'll get laughed out of court.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#165 Jul 12 2013 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,174 posts
Well, that just happened, and it didn't seem to discourage them.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#166 Jul 12 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
26,938 posts
Maybe they weren't laughing hard enough?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#167gbaji, Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 5:27 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) If the public referendum had been something like passing a law limiting industrial pollution, and the state decided not to defend the law because they were in bed with big business, you'd be perfectly ok with the court declining to rule because the state chose not to defend it and the people had no right to? Stop being so short sighted about stuff like this. The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage. You're so focused on this one issue, that you can't see the big picture. Forest, trees, etc...
#168 Jul 12 2013 at 5:35 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,939 posts
Gbaji wrote:
Stop being so short sighted about stuff like this. The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage. You're so focused on this one issue, that you can't see the big picture. Forest, trees, etc...


That's why I've been saying all along that the problem isn't the end result, but how we get there.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#169 Jul 12 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,524 posts
gbaji wrote:
The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage


Please, elaborate.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#170 Jul 12 2013 at 6:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
26,938 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
gbaji wrote:
The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage


Please, elaborate.
Did you have to do that?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#171 Jul 12 2013 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,524 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
gbaji wrote:
The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage


Please, elaborate.
Did you have to do that?


It was amusing at the time, but maybe that is just me Smiley: lol
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#172 Jul 12 2013 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,524 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Gbaji wrote:
Stop being so short sighted about stuff like this. The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage. You're so focused on this one issue, that you can't see the big picture. Forest, trees, etc...


That's why I've been saying all along that the problem isn't the end result, but how we get there.


I got there on a big **** float, in a big **** pride parade!!!!

as a tourist
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#173 Jul 12 2013 at 7:36 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,442 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
gbaji wrote:
The courts decision sets a terrible precedent that goes far beyond **** marriage


Please, elaborate.


I already did. Even provided an example of a completely different issue which could be affected by their decision, in case you just can't get past the **** marriage issue. I can only point you at the water. It's up to you to take a drink.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#174 Jul 12 2013 at 8:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,524 posts
gbaji wrote:
I can only point you at the water. It's up to you to take a drink.


Don't say that, I'm 9!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#175 Jul 12 2013 at 8:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
I can only point you at the Kool-Aid. It's up to you to take a drink.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#176 Jul 12 2013 at 9:43 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,717 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I can only point you at the sizzurp. It's up to you to take a drink.


____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


1 2 3 4 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 35 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Poldaran, stupidmonkey, Whimsi, Anonymous Guests (31)