Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Hero or Villain?Follow

#52 Jun 06 2013 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Like an overall lack, or did he have some special language skills or something?
Overall lack.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#53 Jun 06 2013 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,907 posts
See, the problem is that the US military gets most of its recruits from the US.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#54 Jun 06 2013 at 9:33 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
It's relevant to someone standing for Court Marshal though, right?

Court-martial. As in "A military (martial) court".

No need to argue about it or post a snippy response, it was just bugging me.


Lol. It was bugging me too. When I wrote that I kept looking at it thinking "that's not right", but for some reason just couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with it. Looking at it know, I'm cringing (and laughing). It's just that bad. Alma worthy really.


Just shows your ignorance. People do that all of the time on these forums, no one really puts the effort to correct them unless they are trying to insult them. Unless you think a 4 or so words from 8000 posts is some sort of indication of something.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#55 Jun 06 2013 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
10,369 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Like an overall lack, or did he have some special language skills or something?
Overall lack.
That's rather disturbing, difficult to recruit for?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#56 Jun 06 2013 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Like an overall lack, or did he have some special language skills or something?
Overall lack.
That's rather disturbing, difficult to recruit for?
Requires a rather high asvab test score and there is an overall lack of interest for the job.

Edited, Jun 6th 2013 11:44am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#57 Jun 06 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,907 posts
It's kind of like a reverse catch-22, really. If you're so @#%^ed in the head you want to join the military you're too @#%^ed in the head to be in it.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#58 Jun 06 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
"Guaranteed response."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#59 Jun 06 2013 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,907 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
"Guaranteed response."


"Stuck on repeat."
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#60 Jun 06 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
Kavekk wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
"Guaranteed response."
"Stuck on repeat."
"Guaranteed response."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#61 Jun 06 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,907 posts
Guaranteed ponce, more like.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#62 Jun 06 2013 at 10:11 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
Kavekk wrote:
Guaranteed ponce, more like.
"Guaranteed response."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#63 Jun 06 2013 at 11:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
25,535 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Idk, those showers sound really enticing.
That's what Alma joined for.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#64 Jun 06 2013 at 11:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,321 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Like an overall lack, or did he have some special language skills or something?
Overall lack.
That's rather disturbing, difficult to recruit for?
Requires a rather high asvab test score and there is an overall lack of interest for the job.

Edited, Jun 6th 2013 11:44am by lolgaxe


Is it a particularly stressful or unrewarding position?

Because I feel like, as far as romanticism is concerned, intelligence analyst sounds like it would be interesting.

Probably not in practice. But I suspect that no job is enjoyable in practice. But if I had to choose one, intelligence would be what I wanted to tell other people I worked in.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#65 Jun 06 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Because I feel like, as far as romanticism is concerned, intelligence analyst sounds like it would be interesting.
35F - Intelligence Analyst. I've never really interacted with them so I can't say anything about it beyond what's in my recruiting books, which is pretty much word-for-word what that link says.

F not B. Got twisted.

Edited, Jun 6th 2013 1:33pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#66 Jun 06 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,321 posts
See, that sounds way more interesting to me than any other military job I've seen before...

But, again, always better when romanticized.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#67 Jun 06 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
10,369 posts
My uncle works in military intelligence but we don't really ask a lot about his job and he, not surprisingly, doesn't share much about it. The only thing I could really say about it is that they keep tabs on all the close relatives to some degree and that can make one feel uneasy at times, if not be more than a little problematic.

Hence the special hat.

Smiley: tinfoilhat
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#68 Jun 06 2013 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
As an intelligence analyst, what are my odds of being seduced by a red-headed Russian spy?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#69 Jun 06 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
Better than my odds.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#70 Jun 06 2013 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,321 posts
Jophiel wrote:
As an intelligence analyst, what are my odds of being seduced by a red-headed Russian spy?


Assuming it's better than civilian odds... does it even matter?

Screenshot

____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#71 Jun 06 2013 at 1:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I was going with an Anna Chapman joke but I like the way you think.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#72 Jun 06 2013 at 1:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,612 posts
Jophiel wrote:
As an intelligence analyst, what are my odds of being seduced by a red-headed Russian spy?
How much are you going to pay me?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#73 Jun 06 2013 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
Russian spy: Steals secrets using seduction.

Canadian spy: Asks you to pay them to steal your secrets.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#74 Jun 06 2013 at 1:26 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Idk, those showers sound really enticing.
That's what Alma joined for.


It was. There's nothing like being able to shower in your own apartment/house paid by the government, with a little extra money to spend/save. Who wants to subtract their rent/mortgage from their salary?
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#75 Jun 06 2013 at 1:36 PM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
I get $3,411.00 extra in my paycheck for living off base.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#76 Jun 06 2013 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
I'll find out next Monday if I'll be able to live off post or not. IF so, I'll have you beat with 5k+. Except it wont be "in my pocket", since OCONUS/OHA is different from CONUS/BAH...Smiley: glare
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#77 Jun 06 2013 at 1:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
25,535 posts
No wonder the Us spends so much on their military if they pay you guys to live in New York.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#78 Jun 06 2013 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,814 posts
Clearly the next Alla get together should be in NYC. Everyone can stay at Lolgaxes place.

You get to drive a Hummer around town?
____________________________
LOOK here.
#79 Jun 06 2013 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
The last time I drove a humvee I got it stuck in a mixture of snow and mud. Smiley: frown
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#80 Jun 06 2013 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
10,846 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The last time I drove a humvee I got it stuck in a mixture of snow and mud. Smiley: frown


It was a pile 10ft high, right? Right?Smiley: frown
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#81 Jun 06 2013 at 3:09 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The last time I drove a humvee I got it stuck in a mixture of snow and mud. Smiley: frown


It was a pile 10ft high, right? Right?Smiley: frown



Why Mrs. Palin, your points never seemed so intriguing.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#82 Jun 06 2013 at 4:18 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
30,854 posts
Kavekk wrote:

Quote:
The phrase "endemic structural corruption" is a cop-out though. It's an excuse. And a lazy one at that.


Is it? Seems more of a trite observation, really; if an organisation's rife with corruption, one might presume its procedures for preventing corruption are defective as a cause and a result.


Keyword is "if". It's a cop out because you can always claim that and defend it with the kind of statement you just made. It's a cop out because it allows you to make a broad claim without having to make sufficient specific claims to support it. And it's lazy because in this case he *could* have narrowed his leaks to just the clear cut examples of the sorts of abuses of power and illegal actions that his claim is presumably based on, but he didn't. It's an excuse to not have to show evidence for your claim by just throwing your hands up and declaring the whole system corrupt so doing so would be pointless.


It assumes your starting position is true while making no attempt to even support it. It's like conspiracy theorists who insist that they have "proof" of their theory, but when asked why they don't go to the media or the authorities or in some way present said proof, they claim it wouldn't matter because the conspiracy is just so vast that "they" would stop it somehow. I just find that sort of thing meaningless and pointless. If you have specific claims to make, and evidence to support them, then do so. What he did was dump every scrap of classified information he had his hands on. Excusing that act by declaring the whole system corrupt or illegal or whatever doesn't work IMO.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#83 Jun 06 2013 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,699 posts
gbaji wrote:
Kavekk wrote:

Quote:
The phrase "endemic structural corruption" is a cop-out though. It's an excuse. And a lazy one at that.


Is it? Seems more of a trite observation, really; if an organisation's rife with corruption, one might presume its procedures for preventing corruption are defective as a cause and a result.


Keyword is "if". It's a cop out because you can always claim that and defend it with the kind of statement you just made. It's a cop out because it allows you to make a broad claim without having to make sufficient specific claims to support it. And it's lazy because in this case he *could* have narrowed his leaks to just the clear cut examples of the sorts of abuses of power and illegal actions that his claim is presumably based on, but he didn't. It's an excuse to not have to show evidence for your claim by just throwing your hands up and declaring the whole system corrupt so doing so would be pointless.


It assumes your starting position is true while making no attempt to even support it. It's like conspiracy theorists who insist that they have "proof" of their theory, but when asked why they don't go to the media or the authorities or in some way present said proof, they claim it wouldn't matter because the conspiracy is just so vast that "they" would stop it somehow. I just find that sort of thing meaningless and pointless. If you have specific claims to make, and evidence to support them, then do so. What he did was dump every scrap of classified information he had his hands on. Excusing that act by declaring the whole system corrupt or illegal or whatever doesn't work IMO.


If the documents he presented actually showed endemic structural corruption, wouldn't that mean that it isn't a baseless broad claim? I mean the evidence is on Wikileaks, so you can go check for yourself.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#84 Jun 06 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,907 posts
Only read the first paragraph, you're on some runaway train of inference about what my argument is. Yes, 'if'. I used that word because I meant to.

ETA: Not that it's not amusing to see you echo the Laconians.

Edited, Jun 6th 2013 11:50pm by Kavekk
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#85 Jun 06 2013 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,321 posts
Only gbaji would argue that modus ponens was an irresponsible use of logic. Smiley: lol
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#86 Jun 06 2013 at 11:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,699 posts
Kavekk wrote:
Only read the first paragraph, you're on some runaway train of inference about what my argument is. Yes, 'if'. I used that word because I meant to.

ETA: Not that it's not amusing to see you echo the Laconians.

Edited, Jun 6th 2013 11:50pm by Kavekk


Well, he is often forced to hold a position while massively outnumbered, so it makes some sense.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#87 Jun 07 2013 at 3:02 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,612 posts
By forced, you mean chooses to.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#88 Jun 07 2013 at 5:58 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,907 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
By forced, you mean chooses to.


I don't know, what's his average posting BAC?
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#89 Jun 07 2013 at 7:03 AM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
It was a pile 10ft high, right? Right?Smiley: frown
Right, right. Nothing to do with the drinks we were having before, during, and after that I'm legally obligated to point out were not drunk.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#90 Jun 07 2013 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,699 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
By forced, you mean chooses to.


If you count choice in the sense that those fending of the Persians had a choice, then yeah but it changes the metaphor little.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#91 Jun 07 2013 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,612 posts
He chooses to have those positions. He then chooses to post them here.

Unless you truly do beleive he's a lemming and his positions are not his choice, but because he was forced fed by the GOP.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#92 Jun 07 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
I thought the correct answer was "it's NEVER a choice!"...Smiley: grin
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#93 Jun 07 2013 at 10:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
10,369 posts
Something something moral obligation something.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#94 Jun 07 2013 at 11:43 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
I disagree!!!
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#95 Jun 07 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,612 posts
No one cares.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#96 Jun 07 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,798 posts
Obviously yew due.





____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#97 Jun 07 2013 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
10,369 posts
How do you do that voodoo that you do so well?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#98 Jun 07 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
How do you do that voodoo that you do so well?
Slime and snails, or puppy dogs' tails. Thunder or lightning.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#99 Jun 07 2013 at 12:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Slime and snails from under puppy dog tails.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#100 Jun 07 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
******
41,254 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Slime and snails from under puppy dog tails.
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#101 Jun 18 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,098 posts
Kavekk wrote:


Is it? Seems more of a trite observation, really; if an organisation's rife with corruption, one might presume its procedures for preventing corruption are defective as a cause and a result.



There is a lot to be said about military brass sweeping dirt under the rug. Right now military brass is writhing at the thought of sexual assault cases could very well end up going straight to a civilian's desk. For DECADES military brass has at best been negligent and at worst outright dismissive when concerning sexual assault and sexual harassment.

Move past Manning for a moment, what if someone had classified proof of wrong doing, just exactly who would they go to without breaching non-disclosure agreements inherent to classified materials? Who would see the report? Who could stop it?

It is well-documented that military brass has gone to great lengths to cover up or diminish something as trivial (comparatively) as sexual assault, at what lengths would they go to cover up a war crime?


-NW

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 7:04am by NaughtyWord
____________________________
The Pessimist: A person who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 68 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Catwho, Jophiel, lolgaxe, Samira, Anonymous Guests (63)