Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

The HermitFollow

#27 Apr 11 2013 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,560 posts
Elinda wrote:
Smasharoo wrote:

Or this fellow:


Did you just confuse Chris Knight with Lazlo Hollyfeld?

You're dead to me.

I've lost all hope of understanding.

This fellow is a young Val Kilmer. Smiley: confused


Stop whatever it is that you're are doing and watch "Real Genius" immediately. It's probably on Netflix.

Edited for phone typingSmiley: mad




Edited, Apr 11th 2013 5:50pm by Turin
#28 Apr 11 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
Turin wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Smasharoo wrote:

Or this fellow:


Did you just confuse Chris Knight with Lazlo Hollyfeld?

You're dead to me.

I've lost all hope of understanding.

This fellow is a young Val Kilmer. Smiley: confused


Stop whatever it is that your are doing and watch "Real Genius" kmmediately. It's probably on Netflix.




And don't worry about the Smiley: popcorn, it will be supplied.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#29 Apr 11 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
******
49,907 posts
Turin wrote:
Stop whatever it is that your are doing and watch "Real Genius" kmmediately.
It's a moral imperative.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#30 Apr 11 2013 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
No. Val is preserved in my imagination as Mad Martigan. Mustn't mess with it.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#31 Apr 11 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Nah, he's whatever the character's name was from Top Secret.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#32 Apr 11 2013 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
gbaji wrote:
Nah, he's whatever the character's name was from Top Secret.
Top Gun?

Anyone could have played that part. Goose was pretty good though.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#33 Apr 11 2013 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Nah, he's whatever the character's name was from Top Secret.
Top Gun?


Oh **** no. Top Secret!


Want to know what I hate the most about Top Gun? That F'ing song. And having to hear it anytime anyone ever requested Berlin on the radio from that day forth. Gah!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#34 Apr 12 2013 at 6:35 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
Highway to the Danger Zone? It's no House At Poof Corner but it's not that bad of a song.

I loved the movie, despite the lame-o cast.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#35 Apr 12 2013 at 6:56 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
Elinda wrote:
Highway to the Danger Zone? It's no House At Poof Corner but it's not that bad of a song.

I loved the movie, despite the lame-o cast.


That's Kenny Logins. Smiley: banghead The song he's talking about is "Take My Breath Away", the other well known song from that film.



Edited, Apr 12th 2013 8:57am by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#36 Apr 12 2013 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
******
49,907 posts
gbaji wrote:
Want to know what I hate the most about Top Gun?
That there was more chemistry between Maverick and Goose than there was between Maverick and Charlie?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#37 Apr 12 2013 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
That there was more chemistry between Maverick and Goose.....
They were a pretty cute couple - specially when the did 'Lovin' Feeling' together.


____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#38 Apr 12 2013 at 7:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
And having to hear it anytime anyone ever requested Berlin on the radio from that day forth. Gah!

As opposed to hearing "No More Words"? We're not talking a very deep radio play catalog here.

Edited, Apr 12th 2013 8:14am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#39 Apr 12 2013 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,636 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Want to know what I hate the most about Top Gun?
That there was more chemistry between Maverick and Goose than there was between Maverick and Charlie?

I googled Kelly McGillis the other day. She looks like a full-on old woman, whereas Tom Cruise's magic scientology potions are keeping him looking 37.

____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#40 Apr 12 2013 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Meh. I stopped aging fifteen years ago.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#41 Apr 12 2013 at 12:04 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
Kelly is five years older than Cruise (according to Wiki). She doesn't look as bad as Carrie Fisher though - she really went to ****.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#42 Apr 12 2013 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,938 posts
Elinda wrote:
She doesn't look as bad as Carrie Fisher though - she really went to ****.

Ya, she better get to work (or get some work done) before she puts on that slave outfit as a cameo in the next star wars movie...
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#43 Apr 12 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,464 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Elinda wrote:
She doesn't look as bad as Carrie Fisher though - she really went to ****.

Ya, she better get to work (or get some work done) before she puts on that slave outfit as a cameo in the next star wars movie...


Here she is auditioning for the part of the daughter of Jabba and Leia

Screenshot
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#44 Apr 12 2013 at 2:23 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
And having to hear it anytime anyone ever requested Berlin on the radio from that day forth. Gah!

As opposed to hearing "No More Words"? We're not talking a very deep radio play catalog here.


Or Metro, or ***, or Masquerade, or .... Berlin had a recognizable style to their music. Take My Breath Away was a complete departure from a kinda high intensity new-wave style and into something more like your grandmother would listen to. It was a departure in terms of theme as well, sickeningly sweet, overdone romanticism, where the bulk of their music was more hard edge, in your face, and with a hint of sarcasm that didn't take itself too seriously. Why it was frustrating was because from that point on, you'd hear a DJ rattle off a lineup of bands coming up, you'd hear Berlin and think one of those other songs, but inevitably get Take My Breath Away instead. Ug. Not that I was a particular huge fan of Berlin, but I did like their stuff. But I hated that song. It's almost like someone approached them and asked them to do a serious love ballad, and after recovering from their laughing fit, they thought "Sure. This should be funny as ****. Let's waaaaaaay overdo it and be ridiculous". And it became huge.


It's what happens when a band that actually has talent (and really only modest talent at that) satirically attempts to mimic the formulaic studio approach, and accidentally does it 10 times better. Opps!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#45 Apr 12 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Or Metro, or ***, or Masquerade, or ....

I don't remember hearing any of those getting airplay but you're obviously much more invested in Berlin trivia than I am so I'll let you have this one.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#46 Apr 12 2013 at 4:03 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Or Metro, or ***, or Masquerade, or ....

I don't remember hearing any of those getting airplay but you're obviously much more invested in Berlin trivia than I am so I'll let you have this one.

They must get tons of air time on the southern California pop stations.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#47 Apr 12 2013 at 4:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Refusing to play any Beyoncé frees up more time for Berlin! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Apr 12 2013 at 4:24 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,938 posts
Debalic wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Or Metro, or ***, or Masquerade, or ....

I don't remember hearing any of those getting airplay but you're obviously much more invested in Berlin trivia than I am so I'll let you have this one.

They must get tons of air time on the southern California pop stations.

Something's gotta fill the void left by the lack of Beyonce.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#49 Apr 12 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Three minutes too late!

Although, really, we both just telegraphed what Debalic was just being more subtle about. Neither of us should be proud Smiley: frown

Edited, Apr 12th 2013 5:26pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#50 Apr 12 2013 at 4:31 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,938 posts
That's what I get for clicking reply and then running off to check my food on the stove before posting.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#51 Apr 12 2013 at 5:13 PM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
Or Metro, or ***, or Masquerade, or .... Berlin had a recognizable style to their music. Take My Breath Away was a complete departure from a kinda high intensity new-wave style and into something more like your grandmother would listen to.

I realize it's 1983 in your timeline, but most of the posters here aren't current on the state of early 80s music. Top Gun came out in '86. I was 14. Many posters here weer probably busy being conceived. You know who they know who listens to Berlin? Their grandmothers. Also, apparently, you, but they don't know you're stuck in that parallel 1983 dimension.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 35 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (35)