Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

@#%^ your autistic kid, I'm tired of hearing about him.Follow

#102 Mar 23 2013 at 9:33 AM Rating: Excellent
******
21,715 posts
Kachi wrote:
@Allegory; I assume that's not directed at me? At least I thought I conveyed pretty much the opposite of that.


Smart one, eh?
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#103 Mar 23 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
I have -never- met someone I considered to be my intellectual equal (you're welcome to think that's hubris; I've learned not to care). e.g., I trounce the MENSA people I know in games of strategy.

Let's play one. You pick. I love being trounced.


However, there are a number of other organizations that only accept people at higher percentiles, including people in the 99.9th percentile of intelligence. These people are not all living tortured, tormented lives. Many of them are socially well-adjusted and doing just fine. Yeah, there are tortured geniuses... usually those who can't adapt to the lunacy of our societal norms and expectations, but others find ways to cope with it and carry on.


Yes, there are, and they all disintegrate into in-fighting and goofiness. I wouldn't call most of the members of triple 9 even vaguely well adjusted, but then, I've met some of them and aren't just pulling things out of my ass arbitrarily.

Edited, Mar 23rd 2013 12:56pm by Smasharoo
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#104 Mar 23 2013 at 11:01 AM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
Barkingturtle, Elderon, Nobby to an extent, and Smash of course, they all brought up their mental superiority numerous times. But then, they were/are all trolls, too.

Nobby's not joking. I assume the other two are; if not, they should be.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#105 Mar 23 2013 at 11:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,711 posts
And in fact, there is a paper on this subject on T9's site. I know people who are eligible for Prometheus (who haven't joined, for obvious reasons). They stopped accepting the bulk of the tests a non-crazy person <35 would take, so I have no idea about my prospects.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#106 Mar 23 2013 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,536 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
And in fact, there is a paper on this subject on T9's site. I know people who are eligible for Prometheus (who haven't joined, for obvious reasons). They stopped accepting the bulk of the tests a non-crazy person <35 would take, so I have no idea about my prospects.


"I'm so glad I'm a beta."

I just asked my husband if he remembered what his IQ was. He answered with, "I have a PhD, who cares any more?"

He has a point. (That article agrees, too, now that I've finished reading it.)

I'm the classic scatterbrained polymath Mensan-type the article discusses, who has her finger in too many pots and thus cannot focus on any one thing long enough to be great at it. Smiley: frown

Edited, Mar 23rd 2013 3:18pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#107 Mar 23 2013 at 2:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
622 posts
Semi relevant to how it feels being around less intelligent people than yourselves.
http://readrant.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/qs3.jpg
#108 Mar 23 2013 at 3:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Nexa
*****
11,964 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
I have -never- met someone I considered to be my intellectual equal (you're welcome to think that's hubris; I've learned not to care). e.g., I trounce the MENSA people I know in games of strategy.

Let's play one. You pick. I love being trounced.


PICK BATTLESHIP! PICK BATTLESHIP! HAHAHAHAHAH

Nexa
____________________________
“It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But a half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones
#109 Mar 23 2013 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
Nexa wrote:
Smasharoo wrote:
I have -never- met someone I considered to be my intellectual equal (you're welcome to think that's hubris; I've learned not to care). e.g., I trounce the MENSA people I know in games of strategy.

Let's play one. You pick. I love being trounced.


PICK BATTLESHIP! PICK BATTLESHIP! (Then, don't put any of your ships on the board) HAHAHAHAHAH

Nexa, co-starring Bijou

But seriously, play Squad Leader. One of the Eastern front scenarios.
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
I'm smarter then you. I know how to think. I've been trained in critical thinking instead of blindly parroting what I've been told.
#110 Mar 23 2013 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,912 posts
How about a rousing game of Libertalia?
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#111 Mar 23 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,833 posts
Battle of Wits!

____________________________
LOOK here.
#112 Mar 23 2013 at 4:42 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,627 posts
You should play go.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#113 Mar 23 2013 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,042 posts
Pai Sho!
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#114 Mar 23 2013 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,886 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
And in fact, there is a paper on this subject on T9's site. I know people who are eligible for Prometheus (who haven't joined, for obvious reasons). They stopped accepting the bulk of the tests a non-crazy person <35 would take, so I have no idea about my prospects.


Oh wow, thank you so much TL:DR. This describes my partner's life so precisely in so many ways.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#115 Mar 23 2013 at 8:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:

Among the more serious problems faced by the gifted is that of learning to suffer fools gladly: to tolerate in some reasonable fashion the unreasonableness of others. Mensans actually do this far better than they believe, and the reason they do is that few of them were ever subjected to a gifted
-education program. To learn to suffer fools gladly, one must have some of them in his environment on whom to practice.


Quote:
In the final analysis, though, no problem is more severe or more long-lasting than that of social isolation. It is a problem seldom faced by those in the optimum adjustment range,and only a few Mensans have ever experienced its full force. For the person scoring above the adjustment threshold, however, the problem can be acute. For him, the problem of social isolation may indeed be insoluble. Except in large metropolitan areas, there may not be enough others like him in the same age range to compose even a moderate-sized class. The exceptionally gifted individual, therefore, must come to terms with a world in which heis unlikely ever to meet his peer. His strategy for adjusting to his world must include a stoic acceptance of lifelong solitude. For him, being a loner is not the sign of maladjustment it is for others, but a realistic adaptation to an intractable world. Nevertheless, being a loner does not preclude his making friends or caring about other people; it only means that he
will often feel like a visitor from another planet, or like an adult surrounded by children. He may love those around him, but he must learn that he is separated from them by a gulf that cannot be crossed.


Quote:
There is nothing inevitable about social maladjustment at any IQ level. The risks may be greater at high levels, but they can be reduced by discovering their causes and doing something intelligent about them. Simply recognizing them for what they are is half the battle.


Some highlights from that article.

@Smash: I don't assert that I would trounce you, not at all. Intelligence is not static, and most games don't stimulate enough arousal to coax a sincere effort from me. So, I wish there was a game that I wanted to play with you, but I don't know of one. I haven't been able to actually enjoy playing games in a very long time now.

Besides which, I'm really not interested in proving myself more intelligent than you. I'll even concede that there's a good chance you are more intelligent than I am--at least you may be more consistently intelligent than I am (regarding it's fluctuating nature). As I said, I really just don't hold intelligence in particularly high esteem. It's certainly been little more than a burden to me for a good deal of my life. My point was only that it is by no means an inevitability.

Quote:
Yes, there are, and they all disintegrate into in-fighting and goofiness.


So does the rest of the internet. I wouldn't use forum behavior as a demarcation of adjustment.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#116 Mar 23 2013 at 8:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,711 posts
Kachi wrote:
Quote:
Yes, there are, and they all disintegrate into in-fighting and goofiness.

So does the rest of the internet. I wouldn't use forum behavior as a demarcation of adjustment.

He's talking about physical meetings...

Quote:
Intelligence is not static, and most games don't stimulate enough arousal to coax a sincere effort from me. So, I wish there was a game that I wanted to play with you, but I don't know of one. I haven't been able to actually enjoy playing games in a very long time now.

Besides which, I'm really not interested in proving myself more intelligent than you. I'll even concede that there's a good chance you are more intelligent than I am--at least you may be more consistently intelligent than I am (regarding it's fluctuating nature). As I said, I really just don't hold intelligence in particularly high esteem. It's certainly been little more than a burden to me for a good deal of my life. My point was only that it is by no means an inevitability.

I'm pretty sure that you just have some social dysfunctions unrelated to this particular phenomenon. (the phenom phenomenom, for those at home who missed it.) Intelligence is really just a barometer measurement of certain capacities, it doesn't fluctuate wildly, barring severe trauma to the brain. Still though, It's wildly bizarre for an alleged brilliant strategist not to know any strategy games.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#117 Mar 23 2013 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I said I don't know of any that I enjoy, not that I don't know of any. They get boring. I'm not going to play a game that I don't enjoy just to prove something that nobody here really cares about beyond a pissing contest.

As for intelligence, it demonstrably fluctuates wildly (not longitudinally, but daily). Drugs can alter it significantly, as can normal, daily metabolic differences, and blood oxygenation/flow. It's lower when you're tired than when you're wide awake. It can vary day to day due to mood. Only as a meaninglessly broad measure is intelligence a static trait when attempting to take a snapshot of it, as one would in observing the results of a test or game.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#118 Mar 23 2013 at 10:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,625 posts
For someone who doesn't care if the other people on the forum think he's intelligent or not, you sure are defensive about being intelligent...
____________________________
Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007) wrote:
I am eternally grateful.. for my knack of finding in great books, some of them very funny books, reason enough to feel honored to be alive, no matter what else might be going on.
#119 Mar 23 2013 at 10:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I thought we were just having a conversation, but I guess you would know better than I how I'm feeling.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#120 Mar 23 2013 at 10:41 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,715 posts
Kachi wrote:
I thought we were just having a conversation, but I guess you would know better than I how I'm feeling.

Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#121 Mar 23 2013 at 10:47 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Well I know you are trolling, Duck. That's virtually a scientific law. I'm just willing to carry on an actual conversation while ignoring the antagonism that may or may not underlie it.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#122 Mar 23 2013 at 10:50 PM Rating: Excellent
******
41,355 posts
I'M IGNORING IT? SEE? THIS IS ME IGNORING IT! BECAUSE I DON'T CARE. NOPE. DON'T CARE AT ALL. SEE ALL THE NOT CARING I'M DOING.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#123 Mar 23 2013 at 10:56 PM Rating: Excellent
******
21,715 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I'M IGNORING IT? SEE? THIS IS ME IGNORING IT! BECAUSE I DON'T CARE. NOPE. DON'T CARE AT ALL. SEE ALL THE NOT CARING I'M DOING.

I see your DON'T CARE AT ALL and raise you 500 SHENANIGANS.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#124 Mar 23 2013 at 11:00 PM Rating: Excellent
lolgaxe wrote:
I'M IGNORING IT? SEE? THIS IS ME IGNORING IT! BECAUSE I DON'T CARE. NOPE. DON'T CARE AT ALL. SEE ALL THE NOT CARING I'M DOING?
I DON'T!!!

















ba-dum-tsssssssss
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
I'm smarter then you. I know how to think. I've been trained in critical thinking instead of blindly parroting what I've been told.
#125 Mar 23 2013 at 11:25 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
You do understand how there's a difference between ignoring someone, and conversing with them while not caring if they believe one specific and unimportant thing about you?

Wait, I think you do, and these are the aforementioned shenanigans? Where you pretend that you don't understand so you can keep herp-derping about how, "He's still doing it!" I honestly can't tell with some of you. Between the people who can and cannot carry on a serious conversation, it's an autistic labyrinth.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#126 Mar 23 2013 at 11:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,536 posts
Aaaaaand back on topic.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#127 Mar 23 2013 at 11:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Kachi wrote:
Between the people who can and cannot carry on a serious conversation, it's an autistic labyrinth.


You know, I was just thinking the exact same thing.

This thread is a perfect exposé on Dunning-Kruger and autism spectrum.

FWIW, I think there are different types of intelligence, and unfortunately internet forums usually lack the socially and emotionally intelligent. That's okay, I just think there are some people out there who need to realize they look like idiots most of the time even if they're the smartest person in the room.
#128 Mar 23 2013 at 11:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm definitely some sort of social retard. At least, even if I understand the social cues, I frequently pay them no mind. I'm just happy to talk about the things that interest me without regard for how other people see me (including how they rate my intelligence). Which is, of course, one of the traits of the autism spectrum.

I don't mean to, but I have a tendency to treat people as playthings for conversation. Edit: Except on internet forums. There, that's generally the reason I show up at all.

Edited, Mar 23rd 2013 10:49pm by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#129 Mar 23 2013 at 11:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
@#%^ your autistic kid, I'm tired of hearing about him.


Now that I think about it, you ever think the reason these people keep talking about their autistic kids is partially genetic? Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#130 Mar 23 2013 at 11:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Oh, I guess my own autism made me not notice you had already previously acknowledged your own autism, or something.

Well, take the social queues and quit talking about how smart you are. Everyone in fact. I'd rather watch Alma and Rachel sperg about the difference between a penis and a vagina than read an internet forum thread about socially maligned genius snowflakes. Good grief.
#131 Mar 24 2013 at 12:11 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Eh, I don't worry about the social cues here. I've not antagonized anyone in any way. If they don't like me, no skin off my back. I'm not so foolish to think most of the people here will give me any respect either way.

But anyway, the main reason I chirped in in the first place was just to tell Smash that being a genius was not a death sentence for being miserable. You can learn to be happy, it just tests you in ways that most things don't. Where other things are comparatively easy, this thing is not. I was trying to be constructive more than boasting. Not that I figured he'd agree or even appreciate it, but I've done enough time here to be able to accept that most of it is just pissing down a well anyway. I just kind of like Smash, despite his demeanor.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#132 Mar 24 2013 at 6:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,886 posts
Guenny wrote:
Oh, I guess my own autism made me not notice you had already previously acknowledged your own autism, or something.

Well, take the social queues and quit talking about how smart you are. Everyone in fact. I'd rather watch Alma and Rachel sperg about the difference between a penis and a vagina than read an internet forum thread about socially maligned genius snowflakes. Good grief.
Well I'd prefer you ignore a thread that doesn't interest you, like Uglysasquatch with anime, than try and pressure such threads out of the forum, like the Book, TV, movie and anime forum, which I was so enthusiastic about, but which in practise has been a disaster as far as gutting the OOT.

Forums should be allowed to let all sorts of people connect over common interests, or compatibility, from all over the world. WTF are you doing asking for an entire forum to conform to your interests alone?
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#133 Mar 24 2013 at 6:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
12,975 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I'M IGNORING IT? SEE? THIS IS ME IGNORING IT! BECAUSE I DON'T CARE. NOPE. DON'T CARE AT ALL. SEE ALL THE NOT CARING I'M DOING.
I don't even CARE about karma! It's not like it means anything anyway.

Edit: Downvotes, really?!
____________________________
Banh
#134 Mar 24 2013 at 7:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,232 posts
This thread makes me want to be autistic.
#135 Mar 24 2013 at 7:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
This thread makes me want to be blind.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#136 Mar 24 2013 at 7:22 AM Rating: Good
******
41,355 posts
This thread makes me want nothing, because I don't care. Not in the least.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#137 Mar 24 2013 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,886 posts
This is now a +1 thread?
Screenshot
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#138 Mar 24 2013 at 8:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
12,975 posts
Wasn't it always?
____________________________
Banh
#139 Mar 24 2013 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
25,585 posts
Every thread is.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#140 Mar 24 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
27,905 posts
Guenny wrote:
I'd rather watch Alma and Rachel sperg about the difference between a penis and a vagina than read an internet forum thread about socially maligned genius snowflakes. Good grief.


I don't think you understand just how much of an indigo crystal warrior child I am, and if I cared AT ALL I would demand you acknowledge it.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#141 Mar 24 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
****
7,786 posts
It's just Kachi being Kachi, He stops by every once in a while to remind us how much of a tool he is, in case we've forgotten.
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#142 Mar 24 2013 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,912 posts
Kastigir wrote:
It's just Kachi being Kachi, He stops by every once in a while to remind us how much of a tool he is, in case we've forgotten.


I think that's it, yeah.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#143 Mar 24 2013 at 12:36 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Just to be clear, you think I'm a tool because I think I'm smart? Or have I actually done anything to antagonize anyone? Rhetorical question, mostly.

It's not like I come out here and parade around talking about how I'm better than all of you. There are plenty of very smart people here, with many admirable qualities. I can't mention one of mine in passing without it being seen as me boasting like a tool?
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#144 Mar 24 2013 at 1:09 PM Rating: Excellent
******
21,715 posts
Kachi wrote:
I can't mention one of mine in passing without it being seen as me boasting like a tool?



Kachi wrote:
I have -never- met someone I considered to be my intellectual equal (you're welcome to think that's hubris; I've learned not to care). e.g., I trounce the MENSA people I know in games of strategy. I was virtually a recluse for seven years just because I couldn't tolerate other people. It wasn't that I didn't know or understand social conventions--I was just miserably frustrated being around normal people. Every time they would open their mouths, the words that came out would bore me at best, and often make me cringe inside.


This paragraph is what makes you a tool. If you were half as smart as you claim, you would have very little trouble discerning why.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#145 Mar 24 2013 at 1:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,711 posts
I think we should add that to the meme vault.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#146 Mar 24 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
Kachi wrote:
I can't mention one of mine in passing without it being seen as me boasting like a tool?



Kachi wrote:
I have -never- met someone I considered to be my intellectual equal (you're welcome to think that's hubris; I've learned not to care). e.g., I trounce the MENSA people I know in games of strategy. I was virtually a recluse for seven years just because I couldn't tolerate other people. It wasn't that I didn't know or understand social conventions--I was just miserably frustrated being around normal people. Every time they would open their mouths, the words that came out would bore me at best, and often make me cringe inside.


This paragraph is what makes you a tool. If you were half as smart as you claim, you would have very little trouble discerning why.


This. It ain't rocket science.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#147 Mar 24 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Seems to me that you're inferring arrogance where there is none. I was just trying to relate with the person I was talking to by sharing some self perceptions. Do you always perceive it as toolish/defensive when someone explains how they think and feel about themselves to you? Seems like it would make for problematic interpersonal relationships.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#148 Mar 24 2013 at 1:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,711 posts
Yes. None at all. Why can't you insects get it?

You're all @#%^ing children to me.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#149 Mar 24 2013 at 1:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
457 posts
Kachi wrote:
Seems to me that you're inferring arrogance where there is none. I was just trying to relate with the person I was talking to by sharing some self perceptions. Do you always perceive it as toolish/defensive when someone explains how they think and feel about themselves to you? Seems like it would make for problematic interpersonal relationships.
No, only when they think about themselves/others the way you do.
____________________________
#150 Mar 24 2013 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,616 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
Well I'd prefer you ignore a thread that doesn't interest you, like Uglysasquatch with anime,
First time I've ever been accused of doing that.

____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#151 Mar 24 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,912 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Aripyanfar wrote:
Well I'd prefer you ignore a thread that doesn't interest you, like Uglysasquatch with anime,
First time I've ever been accused of doing that.


I'll engrave it on your tombstone, old man.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 54 All times are in CDT
Almalieque, Anonymous Guests (53)