Stuff that Girl Scout councils do:
- Manage and organize the business aspect of the GS
- Manage and organize troops within their distrct
- Provide need-based dues assistance for girls in poverty
- Subsidize camp (and they still pay their counselors primarily in hugs and character building. I made $2.00 an hour or so when I was a counselor.)
- Create council-wide events, such as World Day. (This often involves renting out large fields, giant tents, etc)
Councils usually have a staff of 2-3 salaried people managing the business of 20-30 troops. Most girls do have to pay weekly dues, usually $5 a week, but girls whose parents cannot afford the dues are generally not turned away (that need-based assistance thing.) The dues stay directly within the troop, and go to cover the cost of arts and crafts, badges, food and snacks, facilities rental (if needed.) All troop leaders are volunteers, as are the assistants and the "cookie moms" (my mother held this role. During cookie season, our living room became a warehouse.)
So the 70% of funds stay within the council may not necessarily help the girl at your door directly, but it's helping her, her troop, and the people who manage her troop. Just like any business, really.
____________________________FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.
and the XIV Fashion Tumblr