Forum Settings
« Previous 0 Next »
Reply To Thread

Soda for Food Stamps

#1 Jan 10 2013 at 7:12 PM Rating: Default
35,209 posts
TirithRR wrote:
I think they are really referred to as "Limited Access Highways".

Yeah. Probably the most accurate term. Technically, freeway is opposed to tollway, which has nothing to do with the type of road, but whether it costs money to travel on it. A Highway is generally any road that does not have residences directly on the road itself, and is designed for significant through traffic. They usually are divided (a "divided highway"), but not always. They usually have intersections with signal lights, and very few non-controlled cross streets.

A limited access highway is one with on and off ramps and no intersections or lights affecting through traffic. Pedestrians and bicyclists are generally not allowed on them except for short stretches (cause it's too dangerous to have them cross any on or off ramps).

Most people just use freeway or highway interchangeably to mean limited access highway, and call anything with intersections a "road".

A highway that has restricted on/off access to make traffic flow quickly and smoothly.

King Nobby wrote:
More words please
« Previous 0 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help


Recent Visitors: 5 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (5)