Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Dave Brubeck dies at age 91Follow

#1 Dec 05 2012 at 1:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,066 posts
I cried for a few minutes when I heard this. I'm so glad I got to see a concert before he passed away.

One of the greatest musicians of the 20th century.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#2 Dec 05 2012 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,921 posts
I can honestly say I have never heard of him.

Cultural fail on my part.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Dec 05 2012 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
******
43,122 posts
I'd heard of him, and a few of his tracks, but that's about it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Dec 05 2012 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,159 posts
I saw him a few times at the Newport Jazz Festival. Always made a point to go on the day he was playing, if he was only there one day. "Take Five" was always my favorite of his songs.
____________________________
Banh
#5 Dec 05 2012 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,159 posts
____________________________
Banh
#6 Dec 05 2012 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Spoonless wrote:
I saw him a few times at the Newport Jazz Festival. Always made a point to go on the day he was playing, if he was only there one day. "Take Five" was always my favorite of his songs.


Oh, he's that guy, eh? I'm a bit ashamed of how limited my jazz knowledge is, even as I find I enjoy it more and more.

Always liked Rodrigo y Gabriela's version of that song.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#7 Dec 05 2012 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,066 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
I can honestly say I have never heard of him.

Cultural fail on my part.


It's likely that you've heard his music all over the place and never really paid attention to the musician behind it. He brought jazz to the masses.

Only a few of the great jazz musicians of that generation are still alive. Marian McPartland is a zombie at this point.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#8 Dec 05 2012 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,159 posts
catwho wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
I can honestly say I have never heard of him.

Cultural fail on my part.


It's likely that you've heard his music all over the place and never really paid attention to the musician behind it. He brought jazz to the masses.

Only a few of the great jazz musicians of that generation are still alive. Marian McPartland is a zombie at this point.
I would usually try to see the older guys at the festival, you know, to make sure I got to see them before they die. Smiley: lol Of course, I missed Michael Brecker's set in 2004, and he up and kicked it a couple years later.
____________________________
Banh
#9 Dec 05 2012 at 10:49 PM Rating: Good
He was a fantastic musician, but I pretty much loathe jazz, so no tears here.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#10 Dec 06 2012 at 12:18 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,829 posts
I'd never heard of him, but probably have heard him. I've always liked jazz and have gotten into it more lately; will go give him a listen to see what I can identify.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#11 Dec 06 2012 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
29,155 posts
One of the greatest musicians of the 20th century.

You mean white jazz musician, right? If he were a black guy, this wouldn't be a story. Not his fault, etc, but he's maybe the 1000th most interesting jazz pianist of the 20th century on a good day. Take 5 should be subtitled "So What" for idiots.

____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 55 All times are in CDT
Bijou, stupidmonkey, valeriejocelyn48, Anonymous Guests (52)