Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Failure.....Follow

#1 Oct 15 2012 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
I went to grad school. It was a public policy program at the university geared towards the working professional. I finished all my classes, but never did the capstone project necessary to actually snag that MPA.

It's been 3 years now since my last class. I started my capstone project - twice. But then I turned these little teeny obstacles into great big unmovable roadblocks - ending all attempts to complete a fairly simple paper.

I hate writing papers.

So here's some of my issues keeping me from getting this done

I don't like asking for help. My adviser is the like states top economist forecaster. A very busy and, seemingly, pretty important guy. I don't like bugging him. I already had one capstone approved by him. Now I'll need to get another approved. Also, I don't now, nor did i when I was actively taking classes, ever feel like I could approach him with just general 'help me' type issues.

I'm a big picture kind of person I have a ton of ideas for a paper but can't seem to focus on one little approachable chunk of the big issue.

It'll cost me about $1500. This isn't a life-changing chunk of change for me, but I could buy a new bed with that much money. Also, I have to think about the roi. I'm 51. There's no guarantee that finishing this program and getting my master degree will ever land me a larger income - or that I'll even attempt to use the schooling in that manner. Hell, I'd probably make more money if I went back into waitressing right about now.

I don't wanna be a FAILURE!!!!!!

How long is the line "I'm working on it" good for?



____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Oct 15 2012 at 8:16 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
I'm working on a reply.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Oct 15 2012 at 8:42 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I'm working on a reply.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Some strategies I've been thinking about...

- Request a new adviser - some unimportant nub.
- Remove and block all games from my computer.
- Plaster facebook with my goals of capstone domination and completion.
- Withhold **** from my husband until it's done.

I need a topic that I can really sink my teeth into. My first attempt at this was a joint project with a coworker. We used each other as excuses for not getting anything done - it was quite handy. My second attempt was dealing with environmental regulation, as I thought it might prove useful to my work. But it was mucho-boring.

I need to find a public policy problem/issue/topic that revolves around computer games, forest foraging, canning/food preservation, robots, space, or the underwatery world of Jules Verne. or volcanoes.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#4 Oct 15 2012 at 9:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
I'm working on a reply.
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Some strategies I've been thinking about...

- Request a new adviser - some unimportant nub.
- Remove and block all games from my computer.
- Plaster facebook with my goals of capstone domination and completion.
- Withhold **** from my husband until it's done.

I don't see how depriving your husband of **** is going to make Lolgaxe reply any faster.

Edited, Oct 15th 2012 10:02am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5 Oct 15 2012 at 9:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,225 posts
Requesting a new adviser may not necessarily be a bad idea. However, I would wait until you have your new topic, and then try to find a prof that specializes in something related to the project and ask nicely about it.

If you can get your adviser excited about the paper, then they can help you stay motivated.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#6 Oct 15 2012 at 10:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Switch advisers.

It's a pain in the **** getting stuff done when you have someone too busy to lend support. Someone who can take the time to provide insight and advice can flatten out those mountains in no time. Case in point: my boss has been reluctant to publish some of my work for near 4 years now. So we ended up taking half of the data to a different PI, put together a collaboration, and had a nice paper out within a year.

Find someone who can help keep the wheels turning.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#7 Oct 15 2012 at 2:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
If it'll help, we'll all agree to nag you every day until it's done. Smiley: grin

Elinda! Finish that **** paper all ready!!!.

There. I've done my part.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#8 Oct 15 2012 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,638 posts
There is a pretty big debate going in in the Puna district of the Big Island right now about geothermal power. The residents in Puna are worried about the safety issue of Geothermal. Here's a local news article about it.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/commentary/their-views/geothermal-debate-divides-community.html

Not really sure how that wil affect you, but you said volcanoes, and we got volcanoes.

Edit: stoopid iPhone.

Edited, Oct 15th 2012 4:19pm by Belkira
#9 Oct 16 2012 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,225 posts
Belkira wrote:
There is a pretty big debate going in in the Puna district of the Big Island right now about geothermal power. The residents in Puna are worried about the safety issue of Geothermal. Here's a local news article about it.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/commentary/their-views/geothermal-debate-divides-community.html

Not really sure how that wil affect you, but you said volcanoes, and we got volcanoes.

Edit: stoopid iPhone.

Edited, Oct 15th 2012 4:19pm by Belkira


Geothermal has safety issues? Huh. I need to read up on that too, then. Here I thought it was essentially sticking a big pipe filled with fluid underground and then sending the other end wherever you want the heat to go.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#10 Oct 16 2012 at 5:57 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,638 posts
catwho wrote:
Geothermal has safety issues? Huh. I need to read up on that too, then. Here I thought it was essentially sticking a big pipe filled with fluid underground and then sending the other end wherever you want the heat to go.


Well, this is more about using the Kilauea volcano as an energy source, and vog can be hazardous. I honestly don't know a ton about it. I think there is also a small opposition to it in the religious grounds. The Hawaiian natives believe the goddess Pele lives in the volcano. Or maybe that she is the volcano? I can't remember exactly.
#11 Oct 16 2012 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
catwho wrote:
Belkira wrote:
There is a pretty big debate going in in the Puna district of the Big Island right now about geothermal power. The residents in Puna are worried about the safety issue of Geothermal. Here's a local news article about it.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/commentary/their-views/geothermal-debate-divides-community.html

Not really sure how that wil affect you, but you said volcanoes, and we got volcanoes.

Edit: stoopid iPhone.

Edited, Oct 15th 2012 4:19pm by Belkira


Geothermal has safety issues? Huh. I need to read up on that too, then. Here I thought it was essentially sticking a big pipe filled with fluid underground and then sending the other end wherever you want the heat to go.

I imagine volcanic geothermal more so than the standard stuff where you just circulate groundwater.

I need to finish reading the article. I never got to what the exposure issues were. Sounds interesting though.

I'm afraid the paper might have to wait. I just suffered through an earthquake.



Edited, Oct 17th 2012 2:00am by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#12 Oct 16 2012 at 10:58 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,638 posts
Smiley: lol
#14 Oct 17 2012 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
crazylegz1975 wrote:
Typical liberal always an excuse for why you can't do something.
So what's your excuse for being ineffectual?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#15 Oct 17 2012 at 10:45 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,679 posts
crazylegz1975 wrote:
Elinda wrote:
catwho wrote:
Belkira wrote:
There is a pretty big debate going in in the Puna district of the Big Island right now about geothermal power. The residents in Puna are worried about the safety issue of Geothermal. Here's a local news article about it.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections/commentary/their-views/geothermal-debate-divides-community.html

Not really sure how that wil affect you, but you said volcanoes, and we got volcanoes.

Edit: stoopid iPhone.

Edited, Oct 15th 2012 4:19pm by Belkira


Geothermal has safety issues? Huh. I need to read up on that too, then. Here I thought it was essentially sticking a big pipe filled with fluid underground and then sending the other end wherever you want the heat to go.

I imagine volcanic geothermal more so than the standard stuff where you just circulate groundwater.

I need to finish reading the article. I never got to what the exposure issues were. Sounds interesting though.

I'm afraid the paper might have to wait. I just suffered through an earthquake.



Edited, Oct 17th 2012 2:00am by Elinda


Typical liberal always an excuse for why you can't do something.

Typical dumbshit always assigning human traits to a political philosophy.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#16 Oct 17 2012 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
crazylegz1975 wrote:
Typical liberal always an excuse for why you can't do something.
So what's your excuse for being ineffectual?

I tried being ineffectual once but I was no good at it.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 60 All times are in CDT