Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply To Thread

2012 Fall Fatty ChallengeFollow

#1 Aug 19 2012 at 7:17 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,163 posts
Alright, fellow fatsos, fall is quickly approaching, and I'm throwing down the gauntlet. Maybe you didn't stick with your New Year's resolution. Maybe you didn't get in shape for the beach this summer. Here's another opportunity to drop some pounds and feel good about yourselves.

It's about 13 weeks until Thanksgiving (also my birthday), and I'm starting out at around 240 lbs at 5'8". My long-term goal is not a specific weight, but I'd like to get back down to a 33" waist and a size medium t-shirt, as those are where I reacquire the most pants and shirts, which will probably be at around 175 lbs on my frame, if I remember right. Short-term, I'd like to average a loss of 1.5 lbs per week. That would be almost 20 lbs by my birthday, and I think it's definitely doable. For next spring, I'd like to run in a 5k.

My biggest enemy by far is beer. When I look at my food intake, I'm not doing too bad except on the occasions where I binge, but that's down to once a month, maybe. However, I have been in the habit of having a beer when I get home from work, a beer while cooking diner, a beer while eating dinner, and maybe 1-3 more while watching the baseball game. This isn't the amount I drink every night, but 20-30 in a week isn't exactly uncommon. Of course, these aren't MGD64's I'm drinking, either. A lot of the time, they're craft beers at 200+ calories per bottle. Even a regular summer beer tends to be over 150/bottle. That is a lot of excess calories to be taking in every week, never mind the detriment the alcohol intake provides. I've been trying to get into the mindset that beer is not a thirst-quenching drink, but more of a food product, like a snack. If I reduce consumption to one per day, with maybe 3 on a weekend day, I've cut down considerably.

Some resources I've found to be helpful are a few of the communities on Reddit. Mainly:
r/loseit
r/fitness
r/motivation

Anyway, I know there are some users here who would like to lose some weight, be it 5 pounds or 50. If there's any interest, we can update the thread weekly or bi-weekly. If not, we can just let it die and go back to the usual SSM and abortion debates.

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 9:20am by Spoonless
____________________________
Banh
#2 Aug 19 2012 at 8:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
26,721 posts
Maybe you can set a limit for yourself on how much beer you can drink per week. Say 10 beers a week for example. On one hand, you're limiting yourself sdo you don't tell yourself you're going to drink less but not actually do it and on the other hand it's flexible enough that one moment of weakness doesn't mean you break your own rule (which makes breaking it the next day so much easier). It'll just make Saturday/Sunday suck if you've had your 10 beers by Friday or earlier Smiley: tongue

Also, possibly only buy singles of the really fancy beers. You're not going to drink a Westvleteren 12, KBS or Dark Lord after you've already had 2 beers and can't taste it all that well anymore. (At least I don't)
And another small one: Guinness draught has relatively low calories (125) and I've heard that Sam Adams light (119) is also decent. They're higher in calories than other light beers but at least they'll actually taste like something. If you haven't seen this on /r/beer yet anyway.

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 4:26pm by Aethien
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#3 Aug 19 2012 at 9:04 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Pot and veganism.

Actually, the best thing I can tell you to do is start out slow. Start out by cutting out x, y, z - beer, soda, fast food. Something like that. By denying yourself just a few things to start it's easier than saying, "Okay, it's time to really bust down!" Though, if you are really serious, you'd probably be really surprised what a total diet change and exercise starts doing to your body in just a week, just in case you do get to November having had no self control and are face to face with defeat.

Anyway, good luck, keep us posted.Smiley: nod
#4 Aug 19 2012 at 10:23 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,833 posts
I've been holding steady at around 145# this year. Maybe I'll see if I can up it to 150 or 155 over the holidays.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#5 Aug 19 2012 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
I decided to start doing a simple exercise, burpies, to get back into basic shape. 5'10" and around 188 lbs (177cm and 85kg for our metric friends) so it will do me a bit of good to loose about 20-30 lbs. I haven't exercised in years (about a decade, easy) so I need to stay away from the urge to do too much at one time.

On the bright side I don't have the alcohol problem nor do I eat out but once a blue moon. I have a feeling it is because of that is why I am sub200 atm.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#6 Aug 19 2012 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,163 posts
Guenny wrote:
Pot and veganism.

Actually, the best thing I can tell you to do is start out slow. Start out by cutting out x, y, z - beer, soda, fast food. Something like that. By denying yourself just a few things to start it's easier than saying, "Okay, it's time to really bust down!" Though, if you are really serious, you'd probably be really surprised what a total diet change and exercise starts doing to your body in just a week, just in case you do get to November having had no self control and are face to face with defeat.

Anyway, good luck, keep us posted.Smiley: nod
While I do like most vegan dishes, I enjoy chicken and seafood too much to cut them out completely. Smiley: lol

Like I said, beer is the main culprit in my diet, but there are certainly other things I can cut back on. In addition, I've started walking basically anywhere I need to go that is within two miles from my house, and bicycling anywhere within 5 miles. I also started going to the market almost daily instead of stocking up on food for the week. This helps me to control how much food I have available.

I definitely need to adjust my general health habits, and it will only get more difficult to work on the longer I let myself go.
____________________________
Banh
#7 Aug 19 2012 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Spoonless wrote:
Guenny wrote:
Pot and veganism.

Actually, the best thing I can tell you to do is start out slow. Start out by cutting out x, y, z - beer, soda, fast food. Something like that. By denying yourself just a few things to start it's easier than saying, "Okay, it's time to really bust down!" Though, if you are really serious, you'd probably be really surprised what a total diet change and exercise starts doing to your body in just a week, just in case you do get to November having had no self control and are face to face with defeat.

Anyway, good luck, keep us posted.Smiley: nod
While I do like most vegan dishes, I enjoy chicken and seafood too much to cut them out completely. Smiley: lol

Like I said, beer is the main culprit in my diet, but there are certainly other things I can cut back on. In addition, I've started walking basically anywhere I need to go that is within two miles from my house, and bicycling anywhere within 5 miles. I also started going to the market almost daily instead of stocking up on food for the week. This helps me to control how much food I have available.

I definitely need to adjust my general health habits, and it will only get more difficult to work on the longer I let myself go.


Sounds like progress has already been made, keep it up!

Honestly, giving up animal products isn't easy, but after I quit smoking at the beginning of the year, it stopped what I guess was the path of self-destruction. After watching Forks Over Knives and learning about the China-Cornell-Oxford Project, which was a very large, long-term study that basically found the incidence of cancer and other degenerative diseases are mostly affected by what we eat - animal and dairy fat. My whole life I've thought that it was guaranteed that I would eventually die of cancer, a stroke, or a heart attack. But when presented with numbers that basically a long-term plant-based diet eliminates the almost inevitable potential for degenerative disease it was a no-brainer. I enjoyed my 20-30 cigarettes a day way more than the one steak and two burgers I ate a week. Smiley: lol

Food is such an instant-gratification anyway. You taste things for mere moments before you swallow it. People have a real reliance on the food as a mood altering substance, which makes it a drug, which is addictive and people are dying because of it.

It's hard to deny ourselves food cravings in our society, but these are some things that I remind myself. I may be a special case because my relationship with food isn't the norm (I don't eat when I'm stressed - which is actually a problem) but I do understand the satisfaction of instant gratification. Really, in my experimenting to make things taste good without the obvious (cheese, mayo, cream) I've made some seriously delicious stuff, rivaling the taste of when I'd make it fully loaded. There are still some things I haven't been able to accept - mayo substitute and most cheese substitutes, as well as dairy-free margarine are things that I can't do yet. I do use a lot of olive oil and avocado also satisfies cravings for fatty food in a pinch.
#8 Aug 19 2012 at 11:43 AM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
I wish you luck in your battle against the bulge. Keep us posted on how it goes, even if everyone else is more interested in beating their heads against the wall-of-text that is gbaji.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#9 Aug 19 2012 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,609 posts
I'm at a steady 175-180 after my diet. I cut out all non water beverages and cut back my portion sizes. Lost roughly 80 lbs over 8-9 months, and have since held it off and am eating sensibly now. Dropped almost 6 inches off my waistline. I drink water and zero calorie colas now.

It does get easier to follow a change if you can stick through the first few weeks.

I was not a big drinker, I'd have maybe 4 beers throughout a year, so that was not a hurdle I had to overcome. But, I was a soda drinker, which may be as addictive mentally. I made sure not to carry spare cash on my person (avoided vending machine temptations) and I didn't buy any junk food or snack food to avoid boredom snacking. If it wasn't sitting in the cabinets, it wasn't there whispering for me to eat it.

I'm still struggling to get myself up and out doing exercise in my spare time. I don't do as much as I should, so while I'm much thinner than I was and my blood pressure has dropped significantly, I'm not as "in shape" as I could be if I exercised regularly. But at least I do get some physical activity, my job isn't a 100% sit at a desk job, I do plenty of strenuous physical activities during the 9-10 hours I'm at work.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#10 Aug 19 2012 at 1:27 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
I'm down to 164-168 range, from 185. Pretty pleased with how it's going, but I'm hoping to be comfortably in the 150's for the wedding.

I've been cutting down on beer a lot, myself. Replacing it some with liqueur and the odd mixed drink.

Heavy workouts Monday through Friday, health shakes for lunch, and a lot of calorie cutting. Still gotta do some cleaning up of the diet (I have a nasty tendency to binge-eat sweets), but so far so good.

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 3:29pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#11 Aug 19 2012 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
One thing that would be great to consciously eliminate eventually (as in, I'd challenge Tirth to take the next step now) - is to eliminate artificial sweeteners, which are really one of the worst things we consume. Artificial sweeteners actually increase the craving for sweets, since the body is told is it receiving sugar but doesn't process any, it reinforces the pathways telling you that you need more. Not only that, but artificial sweeteners are so sweet (as in, 200x+ more sweet) that "normally" sweet foods like fruit taste much less sweet, because the tastebuds that react to sweetness are so overstimulated. I try to avoid one of my big weaknesses (Dr. Pepper) as much as possible, and when I indulge I seriously notice a difference in how everything tastes for many hours after it is consumed. Almost everything is blander after dozens of tablespoons of sugar.
#12 Aug 19 2012 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,278 posts
Guenny wrote:
I try to avoid one of my big weaknesses (Dr. Pepper) as much as possible,
That's my big weakness as well. I certainly haven't managed to cut it out, but I'm down from ~4-5 sodas a day(which itself was a huge cutback) to ~2 a day with the occasional 4 on weekends.

And I'm down for charting progress. Though mine's been slow, it's been relatively steady. Not looking like I'll make <300 by my 30th birthday as per my New Year's resolution, but 315 seems quite possible.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#13 Aug 19 2012 at 2:04 PM Rating: Good
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
I'm very much over weight but I'll play for fun. I reached the point through years of laziness where I was beginning to have difficulty walking short distances without experiencing back and leg aching so bad, I would have to rest. I mowed the lawn one week earlier this year and had to stop four times (thirty minute job). I don't know what my starting weight was since the scale at Anytime Fitness only goes to 400lbs. I started doing back extensions, lat pulldowns, using the rowing machine, and the leg press there to strengthen my muscles. It took a long time but at the start of June, I started very slowly riding a stationary bike we have (wind fan, push both peddles and handles).

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and feeling lots better. Work is having a biggest loser contest where the first/second/third/biggest loser get cash prize. Still wasn't able to weigh in even though they have a scale that went to 440. Went to the doctor and got a physical last Monday, 453 is my starting weight. I am now up to forty minutes every day on the bike with many 70-100% intervals tossed in the mix. I feel about a billion times better and am giddy to weigh myself next week since I know I've lost 20-30 pounds this week. I am wearing jeans I haven't worn since last June.

My diet is now typically in the 1500-2000 calorie per day range and I assume I was over 500 pounds when I first started. Keep in mind this is the yo to my first yo. I was always big growing up and was above the 400 pound range until I turned 18. I started playing disc golf in the Summer of 2000 and over a year and a half or so, I dropped down to a low weight of 230. Then I moved downtown with access to only public transportation and picked up MMO's. Over the next seven years, I gained everything back. It got worse when I started with HP/DHS in 2010 because it was the first time in my life where I was working at a job where I was sitting eight hours a day. My muscles literally started wasting away since I had no physical activity during my day.

I am 6'5" so I looked similar to Hellboy in size at my largest if you have seen pictures. I quit smoking cigarettes a year ago (August 15) and I think I am now addicted to cardio exercise. I've biked over an hour on a few days. My schedule is definitely going to change at the end of this month when I start school back up in addition to work, but I think I can hit at least 350 by Thanksgiving. That would be just above moving me down an obesity classification.

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 3:36pm by Paskil
#14 Aug 19 2012 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Awesome Paskil, glad to hear you are starting to shave those stones off your belly. Same to you Poldaran. Smiley: grin
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#15 Aug 19 2012 at 4:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I've dropped about 25 pounds in the past six months. From 220-225ish to 195-198ish depending on whether my shoes are on and how long ago I ate a large meal.

In my case it likely was mainly a change in diet brought on by my new job. There's few options near my office my my gyro or Italian beef (which came with a pound of fries) was replaced by a small chicken patty sandwich or sloppy joe which is maybe a half cup of beef on a small bun and comes with a bag of chips. I won't pretend that chips are "good" but they're better than a pound of greasy fries.

Added to this was the discovery of a nature preserve with a one mile path going through it. Weather permitting, I get lunch, eat at the park and then walk the path before heading back to the office. Gives me a chance to unwind and a bit of mid-day exercise. Sadly, I had to forgo it much of the summer since coming back to work after walking a mile in 103 degree heat wouldn't have been fun for anyone but now that it's cooled down I've restarted the practice.

I wasn't super concerned about where I was so I never did anything drastic but I've had some decent weight loss, dropped from a 38 to a comfortable 36 (and into a 34 on a good day) and probably substantially reduced the grease content in my veins. I'm missing out on the chance to look like a SNL Superfan though.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 Aug 19 2012 at 4:31 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,558 posts
Spoonless, I'd like to put forth something for consideration. The best way to deal with beer might be simply to not buy any. I think people put too much emphasis on willpower on not enough on working with basic impulses. IF you keep something in your refrigerator or pantry, you're probably going to eat it. The more accessible a food item is the more likely you are to consume it.

Except for parties and the holidays, I don't buy soda or alcohol. Since I don't have them available on a daily basis I don't drink either on a daily basis. What are the worst food items in your house, why are they there, and do you really need them?
#17 Aug 19 2012 at 5:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Drama Nerdvana
******
20,637 posts
For the majority of my 20's I hovered around 215-225lbs, at just a smidge under 6'4.

I hit 30 though and it kicked my ass, By the time I was approaching 31 I was all of the way up to 270lbs. My brother had gone through the same point & had hit 300lbs. So the beginning of this summer I made some small changes mostly on the diet side, cutting out pop entirely, reducing portion sizes, dramatically reducing the amount that I eat out. Also eating breakfast which I swear I skipped for a decade.

I am just over 240 right now. I am sure if I did more than walk a mile or two a day that I would probably be doing better, but it is hopeful to see that small changes have had a somewhat positive effect. Allegory made a good point, as he often does. Small changes, and the whole out of sight out of mind mentality. Hell I even changed my route home to avoid a restaurant that I am terrible for stopping at for dinner when I am too lazy to cook. I don't even walk down the aisle with pop/snacks when I shop anymore.

Anywho, back to lurking but best of luck to anyone that is trying to lose weight!

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 7:08pm by bodhisattva
____________________________
Bode - 90 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#18 Aug 19 2012 at 8:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,921 posts
Fair deal, I'm in.

I am currently (runs to a scale)...210.5 lbs, and about a quarter inch shy of 6 feet. I think the high end of my ideal BMI is around 180 lbs. By Thanksgiving I'd like to be down to 190. 20 lbs in 13 weeks? Sounds doable. A few years ago I was 155, so I know I can do it... but I have a few things working against me.
-Instability in life. I currently am applying for new jobs, living in my parents' house, and commuting an hour to work every morning. With a little luck I'll be moving to Tampa to start a new job in a few weeks (I hear back if I got the job this upcoming week). But that means I'm not cooking much for myself, and I no longer get to walk several miles a day between my apartment and my job. So already there's a lack of exercise in my every day life. I figure I can counteract this in a few ways: there is a great gym in this community, and a large pool. I just need to motivate myself to actually take advantage of these... which hasn't been going well so far.
-Alcoholism (or budding alcoholism). I like drinking... and when I drink, I eat. Unfortunately, that means I've run through about a bottle of liquor a week on average while living here. Ugh. I need to break that streak. I don't drink every day (maybe once during the week, and then on weekends), but when I do, I drink to get drunk. So! First goal: buy no more alcohol. Luckily (?) I've already drank everything in this house that I would normally drink >_>

So yeah, goals for me: hit the gym each day for 45 minutes. Also, try to go on exercise walks during lunch break. I don't drink soda (and if I do, it's diet), so that's not an issue. And if I'm watching my calories and not drinking, I usually only eat 1200-1500 a day. If I could keep up those goals for a few weeks, I have no doubt I'll drop the first 10 lbs within two weeks or so. That's the problem... I've never been able to keep it up for more than a week. Hopefully this topic will motivate me!

Might post some pics, to see if that makes a difference. Hmmm. Any tips on how to motivate yourself to hit the gym after putting in a hard day at the office?
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#19 Aug 19 2012 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Any tips on how to motivate yourself to hit the gym after putting in a hard day at the office?


Any possibility of squeezing it in before work? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the energy boost you get through the rest of your day, and then you get it over with before you're even awake!
#20 Aug 19 2012 at 8:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,921 posts
Guenny wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Any tips on how to motivate yourself to hit the gym after putting in a hard day at the office?


Any possibility of squeezing it in before work? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the energy boost you get through the rest of your day, and then you get it over with before you're even awake!



Mmmm, it would be tough. I wake up at 5:30 already; getting up an hour earlier would probably kill me (unless I went to bed at like 9:30 at night). I might try it though, see if that helps. Thanks!
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#21 Aug 19 2012 at 9:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,278 posts
My biggest issue is the lack of exercise. My diet could use some tweaking, but if I got up and moved more, I'd be in much better shape. So starting tomorrow, I'm going to start walking around our complex. Once I get that down, I might add in some actual working out. But for now, walking a lap or two will be much better than what I'm doing now, which is nothing.
#22 Aug 19 2012 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
******
43,185 posts
I used to jog every morning before work, and I alternate between that and swimming now that I got one of those nifty wave pools, and while at work I usually take a break every hour (give or take depending on circumstances) and alternate between push-ups and sit-ups. It's actually quite a bit of exercise spread out over eight hours. If you've got an office type job I'd recommend taking a small mat and doing the same. Start at about 20 each, and if you feel it's easy up it by five the next day. I won't lie, it's pretty brutal when you start off but after a while it becomes routine and you stop really thinking about it and it becomes second nature.

When I started, I looked at my food intake and decided I'd kill the Pope before I gave up steaks and beer, but I didn't have the same reservations for sweets, junk, and sodas. Overall, look at calories before looking at the foods themselves. Most people will tell you don't eat Foods A, B, and C, but the reality is to simply figure out what your calorie goal is per meal / per day and budget your meals around it.

Edit: To maintain, it's something like 2,000 - 3,000 calories per day for males and 1,600 - 2,400 for females. So if you're looking to lose weight, cut about 5,00 per day. (if I'm remembering the damn lectures the army fitness person talked about. It's been a while since I heard it.)

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 11:30pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#23 Aug 19 2012 at 9:54 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,558 posts
I like Gaxe's suggestion about exercise every hour. My greatest issue at the moment is lack of muscle mass.
#24 Aug 20 2012 at 5:14 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,669 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Guenny wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Any tips on how to motivate yourself to hit the gym after putting in a hard day at the office?


Any possibility of squeezing it in before work? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the energy boost you get through the rest of your day, and then you get it over with before you're even awake!



Mmmm, it would be tough. I wake up at 5:30 already; getting up an hour earlier would probably kill me (unless I went to bed at like 9:30 at night). I might try it though, see if that helps. Thanks!
I'm with Guenny on this one. While it's tough to get into the routine of getting up earlier, it does provide a good energy boost to the rest of the day (once you adjust). If you're like me when you're going to the gym, you'll actually find yourself needing less sleep.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#25 Aug 20 2012 at 6:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,921 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Guenny wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Any tips on how to motivate yourself to hit the gym after putting in a hard day at the office?


Any possibility of squeezing it in before work? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the energy boost you get through the rest of your day, and then you get it over with before you're even awake!



Mmmm, it would be tough. I wake up at 5:30 already; getting up an hour earlier would probably kill me (unless I went to bed at like 9:30 at night). I might try it though, see if that helps. Thanks!
I'm with Guenny on this one. While it's tough to get into the routine of getting up earlier, it does provide a good energy boost to the rest of the day (once you adjust). If you're like me when you're going to the gym, you'll actually find yourself needing less sleep.

Woke up this morning; didn't hit the gym (it was locked and I don't remember the passcode for the door >_>), but I did take a good 45-minute walk around the neighborhood. Definitely feeling more awake than usual. I'll need to see how tired I am tonight and tomorrow, but it's not a bad change so far.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#26 Aug 20 2012 at 6:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,135 posts
Guenny wrote:
One thing that would be great to consciously eliminate eventually (as in, I'd challenge Tirth to take the next step now) - is to eliminate artificial sweeteners, which are really one of the worst things we consume. Artificial sweeteners actually increase the craving for sweets, since the body is told is it receiving sugar but doesn't process any, it reinforces the pathways telling you that you need more. Not only that, but artificial sweeteners are so sweet (as in, 200x+ more sweet) that "normally" sweet foods like fruit taste much less sweet, because the tastebuds that react to sweetness are so overstimulated. I try to avoid one of my big weaknesses (Dr. Pepper) as much as possible, and when I indulge I seriously notice a difference in how everything tastes for many hours after it is consumed. Almost everything is blander after dozens of tablespoons of sugar.



Totally agree with this. I don't crave sweets nearly as much as I used to since I gave up my beloved Diet Coke.

The second dietary change I made was reducing added salt. It's like people say about quitting smoking - after you get over the hump, food tastes so much better.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#27 Aug 20 2012 at 6:32 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,163 posts
Samira wrote:
The second dietary change I made was reducing added salt. It's like people say about quitting smoking - after you get over the hump, food tastes so much better.
One of the key things here for those not used to cooking for themselves is to look at ingredients on seasoning blends if you use them. Many, if not most, seasoning blends that you buy will have salt already in them. I can't tell you how many people I know who will use one of those and add salt while cooking, and then add more salt when eating.

Allegory wrote:
Spoonless, I'd like to put forth something for consideration. The best way to deal with beer might be simply to not buy any. I think people put too much emphasis on willpower on not enough on working with basic impulses. IF you keep something in your refrigerator or pantry, you're probably going to eat it. The more accessible a food item is the more likely you are to consume it.
While it might work for some people, and for me with other cravings, alcohol is just too accessible outside the house for this to really work. I work directly next door to a liquor store, and live across the street from another one. Attempting to cut it completely out would likely lead to a binge event after a bad day or whatever, which will be harder to recover from than if I incorporate a moderate amount into my diet. There's a great store with a massive craft beer selection that lets you buy individual bottles. They're next to the market I usually go to, so I'm thinking that on days I go to the market to buy food for dinner, I can go next door and buy one beer. This acts to satisfy my desire for beer as well as reward myself for going to the market instead of stopping at one of the fast food joints on the way home.

Edited, Aug 20th 2012 8:44am by Spoonless
____________________________
Banh
#28 Aug 20 2012 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,537 posts
Good Luck Fatties. Wish I could get my son interested in some weight loss program.

I'm trying to cut down on coffee. I drink a lot of it and I drink dark roasts and i think my stomach would be happier if I moderated things a bit.

I bought a tea ball and have picked up some various tea components and even dried some of my own stuff. Now I have to actually substitute it in - or not. Tea is very watery compared to coffee. Maybe I should just drink water instead.

Edited, Aug 20th 2012 3:33pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#29 Aug 20 2012 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,669 posts
I'm diabetic and therefore avoid sugar and often have artificial sweeteners and I have never found a piece of fruit to taste less sweet since. Actually, they taste better since they're predominantly, the only direct sugar I eat.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#30 Aug 20 2012 at 7:43 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Guenny wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Any tips on how to motivate yourself to hit the gym after putting in a hard day at the office?


Any possibility of squeezing it in before work? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the energy boost you get through the rest of your day, and then you get it over with before you're even awake!



Mmmm, it would be tough. I wake up at 5:30 already; getting up an hour earlier would probably kill me (unless I went to bed at like 9:30 at night). I might try it though, see if that helps. Thanks!
I'm with Guenny on this one. While it's tough to get into the routine of getting up earlier, it does provide a good energy boost to the rest of the day (once you adjust). If you're like me when you're going to the gym, you'll actually find yourself needing less sleep.

Woke up this morning; didn't hit the gym (it was locked and I don't remember the passcode for the door >_>), but I did take a good 45-minute walk around the neighborhood. Definitely feeling more awake than usual. I'll need to see how tired I am tonight and tomorrow, but it's not a bad change so far.


I work out after work.

What really helped me was finding a place that I really liked. I have trouble self-motivating for workouts as is, so any barrier to entry makes things really difficult. It's super beneficial to have a place that I enjoy going to.

That mostly relates to the people there. I think it's important to meet people at the gym, so that you have some regulars you can talk to. You dread the gym a lot less when you know that you can pal around with people there. The people I train with joke around a lot, and it really makes things easier. And it's nice to have people who will ask "So, where were you yesterday?" to keep you on track. We push each other a lot.

Ditto for our trainers. They're good dudes, and they keep everyone motivated, which I really need.

Also, I find that it's a lot easier to work out if I'm doing an activity/sport. Running is basically the worst thing ever. MMA has been great for giving me a full workout without allowing my brain to focus on the working out, though we also do strength and conditioning & such, too.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#31 Aug 20 2012 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
******
43,185 posts
I can't stand treadmills. I have to resort to one when it really snows around here, and I just can't get over the fact I'm doing all that work and not getting anywhere. Also, the halfway point of my jog is a small deli, where I grab a coffee before heading back so a treadmill really lacks that motivation.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#32 Aug 20 2012 at 8:07 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I can't stand treadmills. I have to resort to one when it really snows around here, and I just can't get over the fact I'm doing all that work and not getting anywhere. Also, the halfway point of my jog is a small deli, where I grab a coffee before heading back so a treadmill really lacks that motivation.


You could rig a simple gear system that makes the treadmill gradually lower a coffee down from the ceiling, so that it comes within reach at your halfway point.

Smiley: schooled
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#33 Aug 20 2012 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,537 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I can't stand treadmills. I have to resort to one when it really snows around here, and I just can't get over the fact I'm doing all that work and not getting anywhere. Also, the halfway point of my jog is a small deli, where I grab a coffee before heading back so a treadmill really lacks that motivation.

You can jog and drink coffee?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#34 Aug 20 2012 at 8:11 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
I can't stand treadmills. I have to resort to one when it really snows around here, and I just can't get over the fact I'm doing all that work and not getting anywhere. Also, the halfway point of my jog is a small deli, where I grab a coffee before heading back so a treadmill really lacks that motivation.

You can jog and drink coffee?


I'm sure he puts it in his camelback.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#35 Aug 20 2012 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,537 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
I can't stand treadmills. I have to resort to one when it really snows around here, and I just can't get over the fact I'm doing all that work and not getting anywhere. Also, the halfway point of my jog is a small deli, where I grab a coffee before heading back so a treadmill really lacks that motivation.


You could rig a simple gear system that makes the treadmill gradually lower a coffee down from the ceiling, so that it comes within reach at your halfway point.

Smiley: schooled

Or hook up the treadmill to power the coffee pot.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#36 Aug 20 2012 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
******
43,185 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
I'm sure he puts it in his camelback.
Water bottle specifically designed for jogging. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#37 Aug 20 2012 at 8:22 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
I recently started a lifestyle change myself. I'm currently 6' 3.5" and tipping the scales at right around 440 lbs. I've decided that it's high time I get myself into shape, seeing as I have a 3 yr old son who's only going to want me to do more things with him as he gets older. I'm looking to eventually get down to 240 lbs by losing a lot of fat and adding some upper body muscle.

I've started walking a half a mile every night that it doesn't rain (which unfortunately hasn't been often lately) and I've seriously changed my eating habits. Last week alone I had a salad for lunch twice and didn't eat Taco Bell a single time. The only problem I see myself having is that I can't find a home scale that will weight me, so I'm not going to get the benefit of the morale boosts that seeing the weight loss gives you until I get under 400 lbs.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#38 Aug 20 2012 at 8:24 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,537 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I recently started a lifestyle change myself. I'm currently 6' 3.5" and tipping the scales at right around 440 lbs. I've decided that it's high time I get myself into shape, seeing as I have a 3 yr old son who's only going to want me to do more things with him as he gets older. I'm looking to eventually get down to 240 lbs by losing a lot of fat and adding some upper body muscle.

I've started walking a half a mile every night that it doesn't rain (which unfortunately hasn't been often lately) and I've seriously changed my eating habits. Last week alone I had a salad for lunch twice and didn't eat Taco Bell a single time. The only problem I see myself having is that I can't find a home scale that will weight me, so I'm not going to get the benefit of the morale boosts that seeing the weight loss gives you until I get under 400 lbs.

Get a raincoat and/or umbrella. Don't let excuses stop you from walking.




Edited, Aug 20th 2012 4:25pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#39 Aug 20 2012 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Spoonless wrote:
Allegory wrote:
Spoonless, I'd like to put forth something for consideration. The best way to deal with beer might be simply to not buy any. I think people put too much emphasis on willpower on not enough on working with basic impulses. IF you keep something in your refrigerator or pantry, you're probably going to eat it. The more accessible a food item is the more likely you are to consume it.
While it might work for some people, and for me with other cravings, alcohol is just too accessible outside the house for this to really work. I work directly next door to a liquor store, and live across the street from another one. Attempting to cut it completely out would likely lead to a binge event after a bad day or whatever, which will be harder to recover from than if I incorporate a moderate amount into my diet. There's a great store with a massive craft beer selection that lets you buy individual bottles. They're next to the market I usually go to, so I'm thinking that on days I go to the market to buy food for dinner, I can go next door and buy one beer. This acts to satisfy my desire for beer as well as reward myself for going to the market instead of stopping at one of the fast food joints on the way home.


It doesn't sound like you really have an alcohol problem though, Spoonless. I think the "just don't buy it except on special occasions" advice is for people who tend to binge drink more (like I'm assuming Allegory might?) You just have the habit of downing beer as a beverage, not so much as an intoxicant. I think your limit to one or two, and a few more on the weekends, is perfectly reasonable and still a fraction of what you say you're drinking now. In fact, 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day are usually good for the average person. Better than stress.

As far as beverages go, I'd recommend to everyone (well, maybe as the weather cools back down) to try brewed tea. We tried to switch from soda/coffee to tea at the beginning of the year when we quit smoking, but caffeine was too important and hard to give up for both of us at the same time as the nicotine. Also, the espresso machine at work was my nemesis. However, hot brewed tea (even iced) can be so satisfying... 10$/4oz is a little pricey, but when you average that out over the cost of a case of soda you're saving yourself money even by drinking high quality tea.

Eske Esquire wrote:
What really helped me was finding a place that I really liked. I have trouble self-motivating for workouts as is, so any barrier to entry makes things really difficult. It's super beneficial to have a place that I enjoy going to.


When I used to work out, I had a membership at the Y, which meant I could go to any of 3-4 buildings in a 10 mile radius. It really helped keep things more interesting, when it'd be more of my decision. "Should I go to the giant downtown Y, or the brand new one on the west side?"
#40 Aug 20 2012 at 8:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Allegory wrote:
Spoonless, I'd like to put forth something for consideration. The best way to deal with beer might be simply to not buy any. I think people put too much emphasis on willpower on not enough on working with basic impulses. IF you keep something in your refrigerator or pantry, you're probably going to eat it. The more accessible a food item is the more likely you are to consume it.

Except for parties and the holidays, I don't buy soda or alcohol. Since I don't have them available on a daily basis I don't drink either on a daily basis. What are the worst food items in your house, why are they there, and do you really need them?

This is basically my method for beer. I don't buy cases of beer ever, because if they're sitting in my fridge, then I'm very likely to drink one or two. What I do is occasionally when I feel like a beer, I go down to the liquor store and buy one or two specialty beers. Then I just drink that. Making it an entire trip means that you won't be drinking nearly as often.

I've wavered between 180-190 for the past few years, going down to 175 when I do something like train for a half marathon, but the fitness goes away pretty quickly. My goal is to decrease my weight a bit, but my bigger focus is to increase my overall fitness level, as my weight is decent for 5'11". I've been biking everywhere instead of using a car if at all possible this summer, and I've outfitted a winter bike now, so hopefully that helps me with fitness in winter, an area I've always struggled with.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#41 Aug 20 2012 at 8:39 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,163 posts
Guenny wrote:
As far as beverages go, I'd recommend to everyone (well, maybe as the weather cools back down) to try brewed tea. We tried to switch from soda/coffee to tea at the beginning of the year when we quit smoking, but caffeine was too important and hard to give up for both of us at the same time as the nicotine. Also, the espresso machine at work was my nemesis. However, hot brewed tea (even iced) can be so satisfying... 10$/4oz is a little pricey, but when you average that out over the cost of a case of soda you're saving yourself money even by drinking high quality tea.
I see a few people talking about cutting out coffee. Is coffee inherently bad, or is it the cream and sugar that make it so? I probably drink at least a half-pot of coffee every day, but I drink it black. I'd hate to have to give up another of my favorite things. Smiley: lol
____________________________
Banh
#42 Aug 20 2012 at 8:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Coffee in moderation is fine, but can be bad if you drink a lot. I limit myself to two cups a day. It can spike blood pressure a bit, although I don't believe it has any lasting effect in that area.

*not a doctor :D
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#43 Aug 20 2012 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
******
43,185 posts
Black coffee is just 5 calories per cup.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#44 Aug 20 2012 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I've started walking a half a mile every night that it doesn't rain (which unfortunately hasn't been often lately) and I've seriously changed my eating habits. Last week alone I had a salad for lunch twice and didn't eat Taco Bell a single time. The only problem I see myself having is that I can't find a home scale that will weight me, so I'm not going to get the benefit of the morale boosts that seeing the weight loss gives you until I get under 400 lbs.


The number is next to meaningless. You know you're doing better, that's all that matters. I think the morale boost of just getting to under 400 should carry you pretty far. Good luck to you and your boy - by choosing him over food, you're putting him first in your life, which I think is the most important life lesson you can teach your child. Whenever you make children feel like something is more important than they are - work, money, food, booze - they learn that x item > people. You are teaching him that people are worth sacrifice and hard work. Kudos.
#45 Aug 20 2012 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,537 posts
Spoonless wrote:
Guenny wrote:
As far as beverages go, I'd recommend to everyone (well, maybe as the weather cools back down) to try brewed tea. We tried to switch from soda/coffee to tea at the beginning of the year when we quit smoking, but caffeine was too important and hard to give up for both of us at the same time as the nicotine. Also, the espresso machine at work was my nemesis. However, hot brewed tea (even iced) can be so satisfying... 10$/4oz is a little pricey, but when you average that out over the cost of a case of soda you're saving yourself money even by drinking high quality tea.
I see a few people talking about cutting out coffee. Is coffee inherently bad, or is it the cream and sugar that make it so? I probably drink at least a half-pot of coffee every day, but I drink it black. I'd hate to have to give up another of my favorite things. Smiley: lol

It's pretty acidic and a diuretic, and of course the caffeine is addicting.




____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#46 Aug 20 2012 at 8:48 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Spoonless wrote:
Guenny wrote:
As far as beverages go, I'd recommend to everyone (well, maybe as the weather cools back down) to try brewed tea. We tried to switch from soda/coffee to tea at the beginning of the year when we quit smoking, but caffeine was too important and hard to give up for both of us at the same time as the nicotine. Also, the espresso machine at work was my nemesis. However, hot brewed tea (even iced) can be so satisfying... 10$/4oz is a little pricey, but when you average that out over the cost of a case of soda you're saving yourself money even by drinking high quality tea.
I see a few people talking about cutting out coffee. Is coffee inherently bad, or is it the cream and sugar that make it so? I probably drink at least a half-pot of coffee every day, but I drink it black. I'd hate to have to give up another of my favorite things. Smiley: lol


The caffeine is bad - I've heard miracle stories about people who give it up and their whole body clock resets and fatigue pretty much disappears. It's not something that's debilitating, that's for sure, but as I started cutting chemicals at of my diet caffeine was on the top of the list. Unfortunately, I've been drinking caffeinated coffee for literally as long as I can remember, probably 4 years old, and I have a cup with soy milk and sugar right now.

Really, if you're going to intake caffeine, black coffee is by far the best option (I guess, second to tea). It's just another chemical dependency that are bodies are designed to function better without (on a daily basis).
#47 Aug 20 2012 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
******
43,185 posts
Elinda wrote:
It's pretty acidic and a diuretic, and of course the caffeine is addicting.
Caffeine is also a stimulant that can pump up your metabolism, which in turn helps burn calories, which is good for weight loss, which is the goal.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#48 Aug 20 2012 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
I've cut caffeine out of my diet for a few months from time to time, and never really noticed any effect beyond that I didn't have something hot to drink in the morning, which I missed. Most people get really bad headaches for the first while though.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#49 Aug 20 2012 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,537 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Elinda wrote:
It's pretty acidic and a diuretic, and of course the caffeine is addicting.
Caffeine is also a stimulant that can pump up your metabolism, which in turn helps burn calories, which is good for weight loss, which is the goal.

Coffee (I drink it strong and black) is one of the things I moderate when heartburn gets bad (as well as fried foods, spicy foods and citrus fruits).

You'll all get heartburn - just wait. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#50 Aug 20 2012 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Meh, when you drink every day the effects are definitely diminished. Not to mention, caffeine puts constant stress on your adrenal glands, which isn't conducive to a physical lifestyle. It's not terrible, but you do have to understand that's it's a completely artificial energy boost, and it's way better in moderation (maybe a few cups a week, when you 'really' need it) than as a crutch.

Now, the withdrawal from caffeine addiction can be a total bitch - I quit once, and had a migraine for 3 weeks solid. As it is now, when I near the 24hr mark, I start getting that tension in my neck and temples, and if I abstain it's inevitable.

It's not as simple as, "caffeine boosts your metabolism and helps you lose weight!" Tell that to the people in this thread who drink 250oz of diet soda a day and still weigh 400+ pounds.
#51 Aug 20 2012 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
******
43,185 posts
Guenny wrote:
Tell that to the people in this thread who drink 250oz of diet soda a day and still weigh 400+ pounds.
If you're drinking diet soda and nothing else in your diet or your routine changes what do you expect? Caffeine isn't some magic bullet, and eliminating it isn't going to just make the problems vanish. I'm not saying get an IV of Folgers attached to your carotid artery, but a cup or two a day of just black coffee is gonna do more good than bad provided the rest of your routine changes as well. More exercise and carefully watching your calorie intake. Eliminating something that really doesn't hurt is just more stress that will make everything else that much tougher.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 66 All times are in CDT
Aethien, BeanX, feelz, Jophiel, Samira, Anonymous Guests (61)