Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

HEY OBAMA! and related nerd rage.Follow

#1 Aug 17 2012 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
11,388 posts
So it's political season, signs of it are popping up everywhere. One in particular caught my eye. On my walk to the bus I pass by the main intersection in town where the old highway makes a 'T' with main st. There's a small computer repair place there, with the following posted in large letters in the window.

"HEY OBAMA. I built my business myself you lousy incompetent excuse for a President!"

It got a chuckle out of me the first time I passed it, being as the area is rather liberal, and the sign was sure to ruffle some feathers. Apparently he's had numerous angry notes left for him, got into a few heated arguments in his store, and was slapped by an old lady who came in demanding he take the sign down. This morning while walking by I noticed there was another rather large sign propped up informing the store owner he was an "incompetent idiot who just lost half of his customers." Anyway this got me thinking whether or not something like that was true. That this was the kind of thing that would keep people from buying from someone?

So here's the question: if a small business placed a strongly worded political sign in their window, which you disagreed with, would you take your business elsewhere?

Would you take your business elsewhere?
Absolutely:23 (48.9%)
Never:3 (6.4%)
It depends on many variables... blah blah blah...:18 (38.3%)
I'd go more just to watch the inevitable dramas:2 (4.3%)
politics... meh.:1 (2.1%)
Total:47


Oh and for the record, I'm not a customer, but if I was this I don't see this keeping me away.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#2 Aug 17 2012 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
******
43,121 posts
I don't particularly care what someone's political ideology is, as I find both of ours pretty idiotic. As long as they don't try to discuss it with me while I'm trying to shop then they can put whatever they want in their window.

I picked the drama one, though. That's like dinner and a show.

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 11:32am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Aug 17 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,877 posts
If he can explain his stance rationally then I would still shop there, even if I don't agree with it. If they just go off on a rant then I will do my shopping elsewhere. Besides it raises a red flag for me when a business owner starts to rant about politics that don't directly affect his business.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#4 Aug 17 2012 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
4,041 posts
I'm kind of anti-drama, so when someone does something like that to attract negative attention, and then reinforces that by getting into altercations with his customers in his place of business, I'm probably not going to reward that kind of behavior. Others can feel free to, however.
#5 Aug 17 2012 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
******
21,717 posts
Political views are one thing. Idiocy is another. I can tolerate the former, but that guy sounds more like the latter.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#6 Aug 17 2012 at 9:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I said "yes" but I'm basing it off the sign you mention. If someone just had a "Romney 2012" sign in their window, I wouldn't care. Obviously there's variables (only store in 200' that sells what I need, etc) but "yes" suffices as a general answer.

[Edit: That SHOULD say 200 miles. I'm leaving it because I like the idea of me being too lazy to travel 200 feet to find another store]

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 11:29am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#7 Aug 17 2012 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,551 posts

We are in the midst of a national news story regarding Chick-fil-A and this very subject, yet it took this yokel's sign to pique your curiosity?

____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#8 Aug 17 2012 at 9:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I don't think Chick-Fil-A is hanging signs in their windows, though. This guy seems to be actively inviting politics into your business decisions more than the CFA guy.

I'd hope it goes without saying that I don't condone any acts of violence or vandalism against the guy either. Just don't do business there.

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 10:55am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#9 Aug 17 2012 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
11,388 posts
trickybeck wrote:
We are in the midst of a national news story regarding Chick-fil-A and this very subject, yet it took this yokel's sign to pique your curiosity?


Obviously on the same train of thought, but...

1) Small business being different in some people's eyes, compared to a national chain.

2) We don't have Chick-fil-A around these parts.

3) What Joph said as well...


Edited, Aug 17th 2012 8:59am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#10 Aug 17 2012 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,253 posts
I chose "Absolutely" because there was no simple "Yes". I lean towards yes but like Joph said, if it's the only place to get something I need I'm not going to drive across town to avoid the place.

It's not really about the political affiliation so much as the retardedness behind putting up a sign like that in your place of business and what it insinuates about the people managing the business.

I wouldn't for example go into a store with a big swastika in the window because, well, the people in there are probably idiots.
#11 Aug 17 2012 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,065 posts
I probably wouldn't go if it was deliberately incendiary, like this one was. But yeah, a simple sign for a political opponent isn't enough to deter me.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#12 Aug 17 2012 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,159 posts
I don't know. I probably wouldn't stop going somewhere, but it depends on what the sign actually says. Is there another shop without a political sign (or who shares my own political views) within the same distance providing the same service at the same price and quality? If so, perhaps I'd take my business elsewhere if I find the sign to be offensive.

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 2:14pm by Spoonless
____________________________
Banh
#13 Aug 17 2012 at 3:35 PM Rating: Decent
Depends on a few things. If the business is the best at what they do in town, I won't care so much. Given that the business in question is a computer repair place, and I'm more than capable of doing all that stuff on my own, then he would never see any business from me.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#14 Aug 17 2012 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,024 posts
If I saw a sign like that out posted at any business, I wouldn't be a customer there. If you're going to go out of your way to antagonize people before they even walk in the door, then I already know the customer service is going to be crap. Posting a simple "Vote for my candidate of choice sign" is fine, but blatant inflammatory partisan nonsense is not.

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 6:23pm by Turin
#15 Aug 17 2012 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,131 posts
I chose "variables" because it does depend on degree. I wouldn't care about the sentiment he expresses except that he does seem a bit loony about it. That I disagree with his stance, or more accurately think that he missed the point of the President's observation, is not that troubling. As others have pointed out, the inflammatory tone is off-putting. If I had an alternative place to go for the same goods/services, I'd give them a try and make a decision based on the quality of work.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#16 Aug 17 2012 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,495 posts
If they're willing to put their political views out there at their place of business for me to see, I'd have no problem taking my business elsewhere because I might disagree with them. However, I'd likely make my decision based on much more mundane issues like convenience, price and personal tastes.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#17 Aug 18 2012 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,828 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
Political views are one thing. Idiocy is another. I can tolerate the former, but that guy sounds more like the latter.


This. It's not the politics that bother me, it's the overtly aggressive stupidity that does the trick. Somebody should cut his power and see how he does without infrastructure.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#18 Aug 18 2012 at 9:08 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I said "yes" but I'm basing it off the sign you mention. If someone just had a "Romney 2012" sign in their window, I wouldn't care. Obviously there's variables (only store in 200' that sells what I need, etc) but "yes" suffices as a general answer.

[Edit: That SHOULD say 200 miles. I'm leaving it because I like the idea of me being too lazy to travel 200 feet to find another store]

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 11:29am by Jophiel


What Joph said.

Though, this guy's sign is much better than this guy who stands by his truck on a street here in town.
____________________________
Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007) wrote:
I am eternally grateful.. for my knack of finding in great books, some of them very funny books, reason enough to feel honored to be alive, no matter what else might be going on.
#19 Aug 18 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,065 posts
Belkira wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
I said "yes" but I'm basing it off the sign you mention. If someone just had a "Romney 2012" sign in their window, I wouldn't care. Obviously there's variables (only store in 200' that sells what I need, etc) but "yes" suffices as a general answer.

[Edit: That SHOULD say 200 miles. I'm leaving it because I like the idea of me being too lazy to travel 200 feet to find another store]

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 11:29am by Jophiel


What Joph said.

Though, this guy's sign is much better than this guy who stands by his truck on a street here in town.


The appropriate response to that guy is "Get a job." Since if that was liberal screed, that's what everyone would be shouting as they drove by.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#20 Aug 19 2012 at 4:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,313 posts
It depends on alot of things.
____________________________
Hi
#21 Aug 19 2012 at 11:17 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
Don't care at all. I chose "Politics.. meh".

Even though I don't agree with that sign, I don't see a problem with it. I see how people maybe offended by it, but I equate it (relatively, not literally) to a Romney 2012 sign. Just like with CFA, if GOV Romney says XY and Z about President Obama and you support GOV Romney, then there's a possibility of that person supporting SOME of those very things.

I say possibility as it is possible to support GOV Romney and be pro-choice for example. However, without a said sign explicitly stating your political views, there's no way of knowing. Because of that, I treat this no differently than someone choosing to eat or not to eat at CFA.

Of course the biggest difference is that this sign in question is pretty straight forward.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#22 Aug 19 2012 at 7:48 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,828 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Don't care at all. I chose "Politics.. meh".

Even though I don't agree with that sign, I don't see a problem with it. I see how people maybe offended by it, but I equate it (relatively, not literally) to a Romney 2012 sign. Just like with CFA, if GOV Romney says XY and Z about President Obama and you support GOV Romney, then there's a possibility of that person supporting SOME of those very things.

I say possibility as it is possible to support GOV Romney and be pro-choice for example. However, without a said sign explicitly stating your political views, there's no way of knowing. Because of that, I treat this no differently than someone choosing to eat or not to eat at CFA.

Of course the biggest difference is that this sign in question is pretty straight forward.

And entirely untrue, for that matter.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#23 Aug 19 2012 at 10:24 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
Debalic wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
Don't care at all. I chose "Politics.. meh".

Even though I don't agree with that sign, I don't see a problem with it. I see how people maybe offended by it, but I equate it (relatively, not literally) to a Romney 2012 sign. Just like with CFA, if GOV Romney says XY and Z about President Obama and you support GOV Romney, then there's a possibility of that person supporting SOME of those very things.

I say possibility as it is possible to support GOV Romney and be pro-choice for example. However, without a said sign explicitly stating your political views, there's no way of knowing. Because of that, I treat this no differently than someone choosing to eat or not to eat at CFA.

Of course the biggest difference is that this sign in question is pretty straight forward.

And entirely untrue, for that matter.


Yes, I agree that it is entirely untrue. Unfortunately, we have that "freedom" to express our stupidity in a public forum.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#24 Aug 20 2012 at 1:24 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,557 posts
Too easy.
#25 Aug 25 2012 at 2:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,860 posts
Allegory wrote:
Too easy.


This x8
____________________________
"Observe what happens when you force a man to change"
Just as Planned.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 69 All times are in CDT