Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Btw, does Obama officially suck?Follow

#202 Jul 17 2012 at 6:11 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
Holy shit that was awesome!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#203 Jul 18 2012 at 7:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,867 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
They took a gamble hoping that titties would be a bigger draw to the polls than a black guy.


Well, sorta. They really needed something on their ticket which wasn't "old white guy" GOP needs one of those on the ticket, not two. But never zero.
____________________________
"Observe what happens when you force a man to change"
Just as Planned.
#204 Jul 18 2012 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
******
43,123 posts
Demea wrote:
Laugh.
Only because you asked nicely.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#205 Jul 18 2012 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,021 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Well, sorta. They really needed something on their ticket which wasn't "old white guy" GOP needs one of those on the ticket, not two. But never zero.

Why do you hate old white guys? Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#206 Jul 18 2012 at 6:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I was inappropriately touched by the Monopoly dude once Smiley: frown
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#207 Jul 18 2012 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,557 posts
No wonder you hate the rich so much.
#208 Jul 18 2012 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
******
43,123 posts
Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars, do prepare for a protein enema in the shower.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#209 Jul 19 2012 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
God dammit, I stop paying attention for a day or two and you guys start talking about pizza, and as I come back, you switch to creepy old white men. The @#%^. Smiley: bah

catwho wrote:
Chicago style deep dish is the other major reason I go to Chicago once a year.

Nancy's just doesn't do it like Giordano's does...

Giordano's... Smiley: drool2

Man, I wish I'd gotten tickets to ACen this year. Next year, I'll finally go back. If I remember. Which I probably won't. That said, I don't remember if it was Giordano's but when I went before, one of the days I got a @#%^ing Bacon Waffle from somewhere, and it was goooood.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#210 Jul 19 2012 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,067 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
God dammit, I stop paying attention for a day or two and you guys start talking about pizza, and as I come back, you switch to creepy old white men. The @#%^. Smiley: bah

catwho wrote:
Chicago style deep dish is the other major reason I go to Chicago once a year.

Nancy's just doesn't do it like Giordano's does...

Giordano's... Smiley: drool2

Man, I wish I'd gotten tickets to ACen this year. Next year, I'll finally go back. If I remember. Which I probably won't. That said, I don't remember if it was Giordano's but when I went before, one of the days I got a @#%^ing Bacon Waffle from somewhere, and it was goooood.


I will likely be there running the FF MMO panel again. Smiley: cool
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#211 Jul 19 2012 at 11:21 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
catwho wrote:
Lady Jinte wrote:
God dammit, I stop paying attention for a day or two and you guys start talking about pizza, and as I come back, you switch to creepy old white men. The @#%^. Smiley: bah

catwho wrote:
Chicago style deep dish is the other major reason I go to Chicago once a year.

Nancy's just doesn't do it like Giordano's does...

Giordano's... Smiley: drool2

Man, I wish I'd gotten tickets to ACen this year. Next year, I'll finally go back. If I remember. Which I probably won't. That said, I don't remember if it was Giordano's but when I went before, one of the days I got a @#%^ing Bacon Waffle from somewhere, and it was goooood.


I will likely be there running the FF MMO panel again. Smiley: cool

If I get there, I'll be sure to be there for that, it was a good bit of nerdy fun the last time Smiley: laugh (and I still swear by my as-of-yet unbroken stroper chyme record (sitting around 0/590 atm)
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#212 Jul 24 2012 at 1:18 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,561 posts
I was so expecting this to be a sockpuppet for Varrus. Not sure if I'm upset at the end result or not, though.
____________________________
Blah
#213 Jul 24 2012 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
Might as well be.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#214 Jul 25 2012 at 2:54 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
"Yeah, I was expecting more Totem and less Paulsol." --Jophiel

/Lurch
You rang?
/Lurch off

The truth is is I am enjoying a healthy plateful of schadenfreude here. After watching and listening to each of you wax poetic back in 2008 about the glories to come once Barry assumed office and that mean ol' bad man Booooosh was unceremoniously kicked to the curb, it is particularly glee inspiring to see the droopy faces around here. Heh, all those promises! And each of them collecting dust up on the shelf of unrealized hope and change. I am practically drumming my heels on the floor in a paroxysm of sheer giddiness.

And the kicker? Some of you actually want a second helping of 16%, errr, 8.2% unemployment rather than maybe, just maybe handing the reins over to an actual businessman instead of a... what did he call himself? Ah, yes, community organizer. Such an enviable and appropriate background for the champion of the powerful engine that is the American economy! Apparently life in the unemployment line must be pretty good for you to worry about little things like killing American terrorists, closing Gitmo rather than housing these gentle creatures in your own backyards, and those eleventy other things Palpitus mentioned.

Meh. The economy will come around sooner or later, right? It's just the worst patch we've been through since, oh, the 1930's. No biggie. Just a tiny bump in the road on the fast track to prosperity. And hey, 8.2% unemployemnt means 91.8% of Americans have jobs, so the glass is half full, right? Right? Shoot, the glass is better than 9/10ths full as I see it! C'mon, just give Barry another four more years of you eating Kraft macaroni and cheese-- oh, too expensive on a baseline poverty budget! --let's make it rice instead. And on Saturdays you can spoil yourself with Cup-a-Soup just to treat yourself. Eight years of this-- no, let's be fair here, ten years of economic decline --is easy-peasy for liberal stalwarts such as yourselves. It all part of the plan, get government to take a larger role in your lives and if standing in line to grab some of that government cheese and food stamps help turn that vision into reality, why, that's just the price we all need to pay!

Allow me a moment to gloat and catch my breath.
/whew
That's heady stuff seeing you guys devour your Messiah, your post racial president, your shining light. Even at his worst my opinion of Obama isn't as bad as yours. But make no mistake, the proverbial carbon rod could have done a better job turning this economy around than he did. And today in this financial climate that is ALL that matters. Come November that'll be what this election turns on: the economy. And didn't Bill Clinton make that clear to us waaaaay back in the '90's? It's the economy, stupid. Sadly, he could have been saying that directly to our present occupant of the Oval Office.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#215 Jul 25 2012 at 3:54 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,067 posts
The giant $200 million dollar Caterpillar plant being built two miles from my house says the economy is doing pretty damn good, considering.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#216 Jul 25 2012 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
Totem wrote:
And didn't Bill Clinton make that clear to us waaaaay back in the '90's? It's the economy, stupid. Sadly, he could have been saying that directly to our present occupant of the Oval Office.


Obama could fix Clinton's mistake & reinstate the Glass–Steagall Act, which would certainly help prevent things like the recent economic collapse.

Well, maybe he could if Citizen's United didn't literally hand elections directly to the finance industry. If it wasn't for Romney's social awkwardness, I really don't think the polling would be as close as it is!
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#217 Jul 26 2012 at 2:38 AM Rating: Default
*
69 posts
Totem wrote:
Come November that'll be what this election turns on: the economy. And didn't Bill Clinton make that clear to us waaaaay back in the '90's? It's the economy, stupid. Sadly, he could have been saying that directly to our present occupant of the Oval Office.

Totem


There's no doubt Obama will be reelected, aside from magic dreaming conservatives with pretty butterflies in their minds. My gloat is towards idiot liberals-in-name-only who are just "durrrrr, he's my massa" about Obama having barely a whiff of liberal about him. But gloating about this or anything else Obama has done being an election-losing choice is wrong. He has already won the election.

It's not the economy, stupid. It's the Democratic tribe, stupid. Plus Romney is not a big go-getter for Republicans to get out and vote. I'm a HUGE liberal and am really sad there wasn't a competent Republican to challenge Obama, who is not just a warmonger but has instituionalized and legalized it in both parties. He is far more dangerous to real liberalism than any Republican could be.

It's very interesting to see every four-eight years how many people's (and media pundits/'personalities) real loyalties lie. Some are independent and reject similar abuse from any party (such as Glenn Greenwald. Yeah, be uneasy, "lliberals"). Some ignore abuse that they just a couple years ago railed against, so that their tribe-mate does well. Ridiculous.

A lot of "liberal" people here and elsewhere would defend Obama if tomorrow he nuked Tehran, and this sentence it not at all exaggerating. And yeah, these idiots will win his election to a second term.
#218 Jul 26 2012 at 5:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'm deeply pleased that I can mention two people who hasn't posted in ages and they both come running in here like Pavlov's puppies to let me know how pleased they were to hear me speak their name.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#219 Jul 26 2012 at 6:15 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I'm deeply pleased that I can mention two people who hasn't posted in ages and they both come running in here like Pavlov's puppies to let me know how pleased they were to hear me speak their name.
oh boi.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#220 Jul 26 2012 at 7:10 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Totem wrote:
rather than maybe, just maybe handing the reins over to an actual businessman instead of a...
Totem
If you'd pubbies had put a up a statesman that lives in the real world instead of your fanciful 'businessman' you might have had a chance of stealing the presidential seat away from the despised better'n-you black guy.

My country's not a business and i don't want it run like one.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#221 Jul 26 2012 at 7:45 AM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
My country's not a business and i don't want it run like one.

Mitt Romney loves firing people and you're going on his list once he's CEO of America.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#222 Jul 26 2012 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
Imaginary Friend
*****
15,935 posts
Well, according to our president the 2nd Amendment is a mere "tradition" and is all about sports and hunting.... NOTHING to do with overthrowing tyranny... nope.. nothing at all. WHY WOULD IT?Smiley: rolleyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8tEh_Kxv9GM

What people need to get through their thick hippy deluded skulls is that the 2nd amendment is NOT for HUNTING and it's NOT for protecting oneself against common criminals... it is about the citizens keeping their government in line.
People saying that we should only be allow to own muskets have NO CLUE what the 2nd Amendment is about.

I'll take it a step farther and say that the 2nd Amendment declares that citizens SHOULD OWN ASSAULT RIFLES.... we REALLY should have access to the same sh*t that the government does... (but obviously that balance has gone the way of the dodo a century ago).

2nd Amendment isn't about taking little Billy out to hunt deer.. it's about preventing what will PROBABLY be happening in the very near future.
Good luck folks!

____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#223 Jul 26 2012 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Well, according to our president the 2nd Amendment is a mere "tradition" and is all about sports and hunting.... Smiley: rolleyes

In the speech you linked he didn't say that.

a man hear what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...lalala Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#224 Jul 26 2012 at 8:13 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Well, according to our president the 2nd Amendment is a mere "tradition" and is all about sports and hunting.... NOTHING to do with overthrowing tyranny... nope.. nothing at all. WHY WOULD IT?Smiley: rolleyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8tEh_Kxv9GM

What people need to get through their thick hippy deluded skulls is that the 2nd amendment is NOT for HUNTING and it's NOT for protecting oneself against common criminals... it is about the citizens keeping their government in line.
People saying that we should only be allow to own muskets have NO CLUE what the 2nd Amendment is about.

I'll take it a step farther and say that the 2nd Amendment declares that citizens SHOULD OWN ASSAULT RIFLES.... we REALLY should have access to the same sh*t that the government does... (but obviously that balance has gone the way of the dodo a century ago).

2nd Amendment isn't about taking little Billy out to hunt deer.. it's about preventing what will PROBABLY be happening in the very near future.
Good luck folks!

I've always wanted my own Apache gunship. Make it so!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#225 Jul 26 2012 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,258 posts
Debalic wrote:
I've always wanted my own Apache gunship. Make it so!
Sounds like a project to Kickstarter.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#226 Jul 26 2012 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
Imaginary Friend
*****
15,935 posts
Elinda wrote:
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Well, according to our president the 2nd Amendment is a mere "tradition" and is all about sports and hunting.... Smiley: rolleyes

In the speech you linked he didn't say that.

a man hear what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...lalala Smiley: rolleyes



Ummmm
Here's my rough transcript:
traditions of gun ownership that have been pased on from generation to generation..
That hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage

AS IF it's like another tradition like BullFighting in Spain.. and as if it's NOT one of this countries most important safeguards against corruption and tyranny..
and then he goes onto say that the government is the only one that should have real guns.

They're trying to build a prison,
They're trying to build a prison,
They're trying to build a prison, (for you and me to live in)
Another prison system,
Another prison system,
Another prison system.

Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#227 Jul 26 2012 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Well, according to our president the 2nd Amendment is a mere "tradition" and is all about sports and hunting.... Smiley: rolleyes

In the speech you linked he didn't say that.

a man hear what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...lalala Smiley: rolleyes



Ummmm
Here's my rough transcript interpretation:
traditions of gun ownership that have been pased on from generation to generation..
That hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage


He wasn't talking about the second amendment when he said those things.

I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to (panda)bear arms.






Edited, Jul 26th 2012 5:39pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#228 Jul 26 2012 at 8:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
As noted elsewhere, all the shotguns and assault rifles in the world won't make a difference against a modern military. Well, I suppose if you had all the ones in the world, the military wouldn't have any. That might help a little.

The Libyan rebels weren't lacking for small arms. Hell, they had truck mounted anti-aircraft weapons, real machine guns and RPGs. They still got their asses kicked until other nations used their air power to ground the Libyan air force and destroy their armor and artillery. Unless you want to swing the balance to a modern uprising having easy access to weapons capable of taking out the 1st Armored Division (a tougher nut to crack than the Libyan forces, I reckon), using the 2nd Amendment to legitimize the weapons used in these massacres is a bit silly.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#229 Jul 26 2012 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#230 Jul 26 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Did Kelvy join a militia after finding his version of Jesus?
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#231 Jul 26 2012 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...

No one wants to have to see that while they're eating.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#232 Jul 26 2012 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
Did Kelvy join a militia after finding his version of Jesus?

Onward Christian soldiers.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#233 Jul 26 2012 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...

No one wants to have to see that while they're eating.


/whoosh
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#234 Jul 26 2012 at 9:46 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...

No one wants to have to see that while they're eating.


/whoosh

I was wearing my whoosh hat!! - hahahaha.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#235 Jul 26 2012 at 9:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
11,390 posts
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...

No one wants to have to see that while they're eating.


/whoosh

I was wearing my whoosh hat!! - hahahaha.


Dear God it's actually a thing...

Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#236 Jul 26 2012 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
599 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...

No one wants to have to see that while they're eating.


/whoosh

I was wearing my whoosh hat!! - hahahaha.


Dear God it's actually a thing...

Smiley: oyvey


So...do you just google random parts of posts, or was that something you've been holding on to for a while?
#237 Jul 26 2012 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Siesen wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I would argue that our freedom of speech is a much more important safeguard against tyranny than our right to bare arms.


See if any restaurants tell me I can't wear sleeveless shirts anymore...

No one wants to have to see that while they're eating.


/whoosh

I was wearing my whoosh hat!! - hahahaha.


Dear God it's actually a thing...

Smiley: oyvey


So...do you just google random parts of posts, or was that something you've been holding on to for a while?


When somebody throws out a term like "whoosh hat" how do you not google it?
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#238 Jul 26 2012 at 10:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
11,390 posts
Siesen wrote:
So...do you just google random parts of posts?


Smiley: nod
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#239 Jul 26 2012 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
Imaginary Friend
*****
15,935 posts
Jophiel wrote:
As noted elsewhere, all the shotguns and assault rifles in the world won't make a difference against a modern military. Well, I suppose if you had all the ones in the world, the military wouldn't have any. That might help a little.
The Libyan rebels weren't lacking for small arms.

Is this a red herring?
What is the alternative? Leave it up to chance and simply hope that human government is not going to abuse power exponentially? This has happened in human history; when?
I am not advocating militarism; but it doesn't seem to be a stretch of logic to state that a well armed militia (and this does NOT mean the state run National Guard) should be a good preliminary defense against the rising tide of human corruption.
Are we in denial that stuff actually happens? or are we stuck on the fairy-tale of "it can't happen here"?
It is happening.

____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#240 Jul 26 2012 at 10:19 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Kelvyquayo wrote:
but it doesn't seem to be a stretch of logic to state that a well armed militia (and this does NOT mean the state run National Guard) should be a good preliminary defense against the rising tide of human corruption.


Sounds like a great recipe for increased gun violence and mass murder. Stemming government takeover, not so much.

As usual, Kelvy sounds so off-his-rocker that I have to think he's trolling.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#241 Jul 26 2012 at 10:31 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Kelvyquayo wrote:
but it doesn't seem to be a stretch of logic to state that a well armed militia (and this does NOT mean the state run National Guard) should be a good preliminary defense against the rising tide of human corruption.


Sounds like a great recipe for increased gun violence and mass murder. Stemming government takeover, not so much.

As usual, Kelvy sounds so off-his-rocker that I have to think he's trolling.


Higher percentages of lawful citizens being gun owners has been shown to radically curb gun violence.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#242 Jul 26 2012 at 10:53 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Kelvyquayo wrote:
but it doesn't seem to be a stretch of logic to state that a well armed militia (and this does NOT mean the state run National Guard) should be a good preliminary defense against the rising tide of human corruption.


Sounds like a great recipe for increased gun violence and mass murder. Stemming government takeover, not so much.

As usual, Kelvy sounds so off-his-rocker that I have to think he's trolling.


Higher percentages of lawful citizens being gun owners has been shown to radically curb gun violence.


That's some data that I'd love to see.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#243 Jul 26 2012 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Kelvyquayo wrote:
but it doesn't seem to be a stretch of logic to state that a well armed militia (and this does NOT mean the state run National Guard) should be a good preliminary defense against the rising tide of human corruption.


Sounds like a great recipe for increased gun violence and mass murder. Stemming government takeover, not so much.

As usual, Kelvy sounds so off-his-rocker that I have to think he's trolling.


Higher percentages of lawful citizens being gun owners has been shown to radically curb gun violence.


That's some data that I'd love to see.


Switzerland would like to have a word with you.

Edit: Wait a minute. How did I end up pulling that card in this thread instead of the thread about gun crimes?

Edit 2: Yes, I know the link is wikipedia, but it was the first link to pop up on a google search and I'm at work so I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to looking into it. I'll find more reliable info when I get home and post it.

These two links also paint a similar picture.

Edited, Jul 26th 2012 12:04pm by Bigdaddyjug
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#244 Jul 26 2012 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
Imaginary Friend
*****
15,935 posts
Quote:
Wait a minute. How did I end up pulling that card in this thread instead of the thread about gun crimes?

you're welcome! Smiley: cool

However, I still reiterate that 2nd Amendment isn't about protection against everyday crime but against the "Well Regulated Militia".
Essentially I interpret the 2nd as "Because of the presence of a state run military- The PEOPLE should always be able to have protection from it, by use of arms".

So I also don't think that it is far-fetched that this right is chiseled away at at every opportunity by those involved in the governmental circles.



Edited, Jul 26th 2012 1:03pm by Kelvyquayo
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#245 Jul 26 2012 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
As noted elsewhere, all the shotguns and assault rifles in the world won't make a difference against a modern military. Well, I suppose if you had all the ones in the world, the military wouldn't have any. That might help a little.
The Libyan rebels weren't lacking for small arms.

Is this a red herring?
What is the alternative? Leave it up to chance and simply hope that human government is not going to abuse power exponentially? This has happened in human history; when?
I am not advocating militarism; but it doesn't seem to be a stretch of logic to state that a well armed militia (and this does NOT mean the state run National Guard) should be a good preliminary defense against the rising tide of human corruption.
Are we in denial that stuff actually happens? or are we stuck on the fairy-tale of "it can't happen here"?
It is happening.


Why do you exclude the national guard?

If your're advocating for a peoples militia that is actually armed to be effective, you are advocating for militarism.

What do you mean when you say 'rising tide of human corruption'? Are you saying that Americans in general have gotten more corrupt? Can you define what you mean by corrupt?




Edited, Jul 26th 2012 7:13pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#246 Jul 26 2012 at 11:08 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,790 posts
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Quote:
Wait a minute. How did I end up pulling that card in this thread instead of the thread about gun crimes?

you're welcome! Smiley: cool

However, I still reiterate that 2nd Amendment isn't about protection against everyday crime but against the "Well Regulated Militia".
Essentially I interpret the 2nd as "Because of the presence of a state run military- The PEOPLE should always be able to have protection from it, by use of arms".

So I also don't think that it is far-fetched that this right is chiseled away at at every opportunity by those involved in the governmental circles.



Edited, Jul 26th 2012 1:03pm by Kelvyquayo


While I agree with your passion over the 2nd Amendment, I disagree with your interpretation of it. At the time the Consitution was written, people owning guns was necessary to protect them from Native raids, outlaws, and random rebellions. I think that the spirit of the Amendment is that an armed populace was supposed to be ready to be called up into a standing army when needed.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#247 Jul 26 2012 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:


These two links also paint a similar picture.

What picture is that? I'm not seeing it.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#248 Jul 26 2012 at 11:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Kelvyquayo wrote:
Is this a red herring?

No, it's a statement of fact. Small arms have provably failed to overthrow lesser modern militaries than ours. Saying we need a bunch of them shuffling around the civilian populace in order to stop the military makes no sense based on the available evidence.

What's the alternative? Beats me. But if the goal is stopping an armored column or maintaining control of a city against helicopter gunships, it's not more small arms. Maybe we should think of something else in that case beyond "More guns for everyone!"

Edited, Jul 26th 2012 12:28pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#249 Jul 26 2012 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Switzerland would like to have a word with you.

Edit: Wait a minute. How did I end up pulling that card in this thread instead of the thread about gun crimes?

Edit 2: Yes, I know the link is wikipedia, but it was the first link to pop up on a google search and I'm at work so I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to looking into it. I'll find more reliable info when I get home and post it.

These two links also paint a similar picture.

Edited, Jul 26th 2012 12:04pm by Bigdaddyjug


Cursory googling shows some problems with your point.

First, it's worth noting that your wikipedia links are problematic. The list of firearm related death rates (and note, that's only covering death, not gun violence) has some very outdated stats. For example, #1 on that list, South Africa, reflects data that's 12 years old. Since then, their numbers have changed, reportedly due to more stringent gun laws.

Regarding Switzerland, you'll note that the US has nearly double the amount of legally owned weapons, and seems to be widely cited as first among 1st world countries in regards to rates of gun violence. It's apples to oranges, however. Switzerland has much more stringent gun control laws, and ownership seems to be related to a very ingrained notion of civic duty that doesn't exist here (not to mention, a long history of pacifism). While it may work for them, the idea that this system could be implemented in the United States strikes me as far fetched, at best.

At any rate, many seem to be looking to curb their own ownership. I believe they just struck down an initiative, but the movement to further restrict gun access seems to be gaining steam. Switzerland reportedly has the highest gun violence rates in Western Europe, vying with Finland (another country with more lax ownership laws) annually.

But ultimately, I really just don't think that using a single country as an example is statistically significant enough to make your initial claim.


Edited, Jul 26th 2012 1:31pm by Eske

Edited, Jul 26th 2012 1:34pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#250 Jul 26 2012 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Except everything in my links contradicts most of your post. But why would I expect you not to ignore statistics?

Oh, and one of the reasons for the lower number of guns in Switzerland is, from what I could find, is that they don't draft women into the military, meaning they don't get a military issued weapon that they get to keep after their term of service is over.

How about a situation showing the reverse? A place where much stricter gun control laws has not made a dent in gun violence? Because Chicago is a prime example of that.

What it boils down to is that law abiding citizens don't use guns to commit crimes. Criminals use guns to commit crimes. If you outlaw guns, the criminals will either find ways to get them illegally (Chicago) or they'll resort to some other way of committing the crimes.

Edited, Jul 26th 2012 12:53pm by Bigdaddyjug

Edited, Jul 26th 2012 12:56pm by Bigdaddyjug
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#251 Jul 26 2012 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,498 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Except everything in my links contradicts most of your post. But why would I expect you not to ignore statistics?

you didn't link statistics. You linked two data-sets.


____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Allegory, Elinda, stupidmonkey, TirithRR, Anonymous Guests (76)