Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Strange but serious questionFollow

#1 Jul 05 2012 at 10:33 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
Has anybody ever heard of shoulder problems developing from excessive computer, specifically mouse, usage?

My right shoulder is killing me and I can't figure out what else I could have done to it. I haven't played any sports lately and I don't think any of the activities I've done with my son lately would cause this level of pain.

I should note, this shoulder was injured in a car accident 2 years ago, but it was just a sprain/strain, I went through therapy, and I was able to resume normal activities.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#2 Jul 05 2012 at 10:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
My mother still has lingering shoulder problems from a minor accident she was in years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's flaring up again. Knowing nothing other than what you told me, and that anecdotes are data, that seems a logical conclusion. So ya, seriously, talk to your doctor or something.

Also, all the cool people use the mouse with their left hand, get with the times. Smiley: cool

Edited, Jul 5th 2012 9:54am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3 Jul 05 2012 at 10:59 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
My first thought was the damage the accident caused. Two things made me rule that out. The pain is in a different area this time. Last time it was the back of my shoulder, this time it is the outside almost shooting down my arm. The second thing is that it hurts way worse this time. Like exponentially worse.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#4 Jul 05 2012 at 11:06 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,744 posts
Could be anything from built up stress from two years ago to sleeping on it wrong.

Edited, Jul 5th 2012 1:06pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5 Jul 05 2012 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Yeah, I'll have to go to the doctor. I'm just afraid he's gonna say the S-word.

I was really just wondering if anybody had heard of any shoulder problems related to excessive computer use. I'm on the computer 8 hours a day at work and then I go home and put in more time at home.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#6 Jul 05 2012 at 12:46 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,720 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Yeah, I'll have to go to the doctor. I'm just afraid he's gonna say the S-word.

I was really just wondering if anybody had heard of any shoulder problems related to excessive computer use. I'm on the computer 8 hours a day at work and then I go home and put in more time at home.

I have back problems due to poor posture at the computer. I've never had pain isolated to a particular shoulder though. As a layman and not at all a practicing physician, my advice is to take some Ibuprofen and call a doctor if it doesn't subside within 2-3 days.

Trying to rationalize it by suggesting its simply due to being at the computer will neither make the pain go away nor truly isolate the cause.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#7 Jul 05 2012 at 1:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Wrist and elbow problems are more common, but shouldar issues can also occur, especially if you ned up moving alot of computer Chassis around or server boxes.

A couple things to check ergonomically. are your elbows properly supported by your chair when you type? if not, do you have to roll your shouldar at all forward to reach your keyboard? particularily your right shouldar? If you find that you have to adjust your shouldar position to type, you may want to consider looking into one of these keyboards: http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/ specifically the one where the keyboard segments split in half and can be positioned so your shouldar ball joint isn't rotated at all when you type. Also look into a full length keyboard tray wrist rest (you may need to make your own if you can't find an appropriate one)

You also may want to switch to a trackball, as some people mouse with their shoudar rather than just their lower arm, I personally can't stand the **** things, but they do help some people.

Chances are you will need to have the shouldar looked at by a doctor though, and surgery will be likely.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#8 Jul 05 2012 at 1:28 PM Rating: Default
Sage
****
4,042 posts
Sounds like a case of the fat to me.
#9 Jul 05 2012 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
What's a shouldar?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#10 Jul 05 2012 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
What's a shouldar?


You had me going back checking every time I had used the word thinking I had misspelled it.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#11 Jul 05 2012 at 2:03 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
ctrl+f is your friend.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#12 Jul 05 2012 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Wrist and elbow problems are more common, but shouldar issues can also occur, especially if you ned up moving alot of computer Chassis around or server boxes.

A couple things to check ergonomically. are your elbows properly supported by your chair when you type? if not, do you have to roll your shouldar at all forward to reach your keyboard? particularily your right shouldar? If you find that you have to adjust your shouldar position to type, you may want to consider looking into one of these keyboards: http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/ specifically the one where the keyboard segments split in half and can be positioned so your shouldar ball joint isn't rotated at all when you type. Also look into a full length keyboard tray wrist rest (you may need to make your own if you can't find an appropriate one)

You also may want to switch to a trackball, as some people mouse with their shoudar rather than just their lower arm, I personally can't stand the **** things, but they do help some people.

Chances are you will need to have the shouldar looked at by a doctor though, and surgery will be likely.


I don't do that rolling forward motion to type, but I do it a lot when answering the phone at work. I'm just going to have to go to the doctor. This has been going on for a week and it's only getting worse.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#13 Jul 05 2012 at 3:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Get a plantronics headset with an auto lifter. Prefferably one of the ones that has a call pick up button you can locate near your mouse hand to minimize movement. The ear mounted ones should work though too because that would involve less arm movement than reach and lift of a phone headset.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#14 Jul 05 2012 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Get a plantronics headset with an auto lifter. Prefferably one of the ones that has a call pick up button you can locate near your mouse hand to minimize movement. The ear mounted ones should work though too because that would involve less arm movement than reach and lift of a phone headset.


We're getting a new phone system soon and there's a rumor going around that it may include headsets for everyone. I'll hold off until we get it to see before I spend my money on one. For now I'll just switch the side of my computer that my phone is on.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#15 Jul 05 2012 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I had pretty terrible pain originating around the shoulder blade and extending down my arm, likely due to my extremely poor posture at times on the computer. It was a bit painful to the touch, or even occasionally feeling numb at the center of the painful area. My shoulder would start to bother me after less and less time on the computer, even if I maintained proper posture. Long driving trips would cause it to flare up, too. It took quite a few months (OK, it bothered me on and off for over a year), but ultimately was covered under my "ignore it and hope it goes away" health insurance plan. Of course, if I fall into my old posture habits, it'll flare up, so I just try not to do that.
____________________________
Banh
#16 Jul 05 2012 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Yeah, I'll have to go to the doctor. I'm just afraid he's gonna say the S-word.

I was really just wondering if anybody had heard of any shoulder problems related to excessive computer use. I'm on the computer 8 hours a day at work and then I go home and put in more time at home.


My sweetheart actually has gotten really bad back and shoulder pain in her mouse shoulder. She went to a physio and got exercises to help strengthen her core muscles as well as loosen it up. She had to take some time off work/computer too - cause if you don't give it a rest it just keeps getting worse and worse. So yes, it is totally possible to have shoulder pain from mouse usage. Hopefully your GP suggests massage/physio and that works for you. However, you might have to take a few days off too to get it to a point where you aren't messing it up more and more.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#17 Jul 05 2012 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Try an armless desk chair.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#18 Jul 05 2012 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
Obligatory ************ joke goes here.

My dad injured his shoulder skiing almost a decade ago, and it still bothers him sometimes when he does strenuous activities (yard work, moving furniture, etc.).
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#19 Jul 05 2012 at 5:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Demea wrote:
Obligatory ************ joke goes here.

My dad injured his shoulder skiing almost a decade ago, and it still bothers him sometimes when he does strenuous activities (yard work, moving furniture, etc.).
Is there a punchline?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#20 Jul 05 2012 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
The two thoughts are not related.

Ewww.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#21 Jul 05 2012 at 6:03 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I have wrist problems.

This has been a godsend.

I'd also look into changing your chair. Ergonomics has been greatly improved in office chairs over the last twenty years, and it's possible to get a great ergo chair for a reasonable price.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#22 Jul 05 2012 at 9:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
I have really bad pain on my right shoulder that goes up into my neck. It's a combination of sleeping on my right side too much and being at the computer too often with less than perfect posture. This has been going on for about 8 years for me. I went to the chiropractor about it for a little while, but once I lost that insurance, I couldn't afford that anymore. Now the pain comes and goes. I've just learned to live with it for the most part.
#23 Jul 05 2012 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
******
49,744 posts
Get a neck and shoulder heating pad. It's what I use after particularly hard workouts, or just when I'm hurting.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 Jul 06 2012 at 5:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,237 posts
Avoid surgery if you can. Most ergonomic problems can be fixed without it, and the chances of increasing your problems is much greater than most doctors (or any surgeons) want to admit.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#25 Jul 06 2012 at 7:32 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,471 posts
Samira wrote:
Avoid surgery if you can. Most ergonomic problems can be fixed without it, and the chances of increasing your problems is much greater than most doctors (or any surgeons) want to admit.


Personally, I believe the solution is actually to buy nice chairs for the upper class. When they're comfortable, they'll see to it that the people below them get a comfortable chair, too.

It's trickle-down ergonomics.
#26 Jul 06 2012 at 7:41 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Samira wrote:
Avoid surgery if you can. Most ergonomic problems can be fixed without it, and the chances of increasing your problems is much greater than most doctors (or any surgeons) want to admit.


Personally, I believe the solution is actually to buy nice chairs for the upper class. When they're comfortable, they'll see to it that the people below them get a comfortable chair, too.

It's trickle-down ergonomics.

Pssh, the poor will end up with the rejects like the knee-chair and iso-ball chair.

My favorite ergo accessories are my tilting foot stools. I have them both here and at home. My home one is really sweet - it's old and worn in but tilts back and forth effortlessly. The tilt lets you easily and continually change up the pressures on your whole lower body.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 57 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (57)