Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

This passes as news nowFollow

#1 Jul 02 2012 at 10:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
"I can't believe Anderson Cooper is ***!" Said no one, ever.

Slow news day. In other news, Obama has promised to focus on the War on Drugs in his second term. Similar to his "evolving views on marriage," I see it as mostly lip-service to get the pro-legalization folks in the Democratic base a bit more excited, but it's at least something to look forward to if he gets reelected. I don't see him as pushing legalization, but perhaps dismantling or cutting the severity of anti-drug laws would be a good first step.

Oh, and Rupert Murdoch has apparently started tweeting about the evil of Scientology. 'Cuz, yeah, why not.

What's new with all of you?
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#2 Jul 02 2012 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,733 posts
I was watching Married with Children earlier, and it was the episode where Al falls from the second story window and regains consciousness claiming he saw God's Shoes and spends the rest of the episode obsessing over them. Which isn't that big a deal, though it was amusing. What did get me to start thinking was that now, more than a decade later, we have shoes with toes similar to Al's divine shoe design. That, in turn, makes me wonder how far along we really are for the flying cars we were promised.

Five more years, you lazy scientists.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Jul 02 2012 at 10:58 AM Rating: Decent
******
21,720 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
That, in turn, makes me wonder how far along we really are for the flying cars we were promised.


Terrafugia
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#4 Jul 02 2012 at 11:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
In quasi-related news, the Chicago City Council voted 43-3 last week to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana and make it a ticketable offense.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5 Jul 02 2012 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
In Augusta (ME) last week they voted in favor of adding tobacco products to the litter law - $100 fine for dropping your ****.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#6 Jul 02 2012 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Jefferson Parish (LA) public school teachers are upset because the school board decided rather than just renew the contract they've been working under for years that it was time to review it and rewrite it.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#7 Jul 02 2012 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Jefferson Parish (LA) public school teachers are upset because the school board decided rather than just renew the contract they've been working under for years that it was time to review it and rewrite it.

How upset are they?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#8 Jul 02 2012 at 2:38 PM Rating: Default
****
9,346 posts
Elinda wrote:
In Augusta (ME) last week they voted in favor of adding tobacco products to the litter law - $100 fine for dropping your ****.


I hope that they're providing enough garbage cans on high foot-traffic streets then.
____________________________
10k before the site's inevitable death or bust

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#9 Jul 02 2012 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Jefferson Parish (LA) public school teachers are upset because the school board decided rather than just renew the contract they've been working under for years that it was time to review it and rewrite it.

How upset are they?


They're staging *gasp* a rally tonight.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#10 Jul 02 2012 at 3:13 PM Rating: Good
******
21,720 posts
Driftwood wrote:
Elinda wrote:
In Augusta (ME) last week they voted in favor of adding tobacco products to the litter law - $100 fine for dropping your ****.


I hope that they're providing enough garbage cans on high foot-traffic streets then.

Seriously? It's a freaking cigarette ****. Only slightly more massive than a gum wrapper. I doubt there will be a sudden overflow of waste receptacles city wide.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2012 4:13pm by BrownDuck
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#11 Jul 02 2012 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,883 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
Driftwood wrote:
Elinda wrote:
In Augusta (ME) last week they voted in favor of adding tobacco products to the litter law - $100 fine for dropping your ****.


I hope that they're providing enough garbage cans on high foot-traffic streets then.

Seriously? It's a freaking cigarette ****. Only slightly more massive than a gum wrapper. I doubt there will be a sudden overflow of waste receptacles city wide.


I always cringe when ever I see people driving in front of me flip their butts out the window. They smoke in their cars, but heaven forbid they keep a small tray to carry the butts? I don't toss my bottles out the window when I'm done drinking. I don't toss my wrappers out the window when I'm done snacking on the stick of beef jerky I picked up at the gas station. I'm pretty sure those smokers don't do that either. But apparently they have no problems tossing those butts. It's like people don't think of butts as garbage. Before my workplace restricted smoking (now only allowed to in one break area outside) there were butts all over the parking lot and at every entrance. They'd just throw them on the ground, step on them, and walk away.

The thing I'd worry about is people throwing lit butts into a standard garbage can and it catching fire. They used to do that at work all the time, and suddenly there'd be a barrel on fire.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#12 Jul 02 2012 at 5:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
Jophiel wrote:
In quasi-related news, the Chicago City Council voted 43-3 last week to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana and make it a ticketable offense.

Link?

I have some, uhh, friends that will be very interested in this decision.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#13 Jul 02 2012 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-27/us/us_illinois-chicago-marijuana-citations_1_marijuana-laws-issue-citations-small-amounts?_s=PM:US

Emanuel already said he supported it.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#14Smasharoo, Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:36 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) [b]
#15 Jul 02 2012 at 7:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,883 posts
The smoker obviously didn't care about the toxic substance getting in his or her lungs or the lungs of his or her fellow passengers while smoking it. Why care once the burning is complete?
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#16 Jul 02 2012 at 7:54 PM Rating: Default
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts

The smoker obviously didn't care about the toxic substance getting in his or her lungs or the lungs of his or her fellow passengers while smoking it. Why care once the burning is complete?


Hard to say, but having been a smoker, I'm going to assume it was related to the crippling physical addiction. We can argue about if falling prey to an addiction of some sort is a character flaw or not, but assuming it's really idiotic to try an ascribe some self righteous moral judgement to the in the moment action of an addict.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you never smoked or at least not enough to form a habit. I'm assuming that because it's the only possible way I can imagine anyone being so mind numbingly blind to such obvious factors. I'm glad the marketing campaign worked and you see smoking as "uncool".

Try to imagine yourself making the same post about someone with stomach cancer who became addicted to morphine and is having trouble stopping after beating the disease.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#17 Jul 02 2012 at 7:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
Try to imagine yourself making the same post about someone with stomach cancer who became addicted to morphine and is having trouble stopping after beating the disease.

I'd gladly switch nicotine for morphine, but those a-holes at the hospital keep telling me no.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#18 Jul 02 2012 at 8:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,883 posts
Smasharoo wrote:

The smoker obviously didn't care about the toxic substance getting in his or her lungs or the lungs of his or her fellow passengers while smoking it. Why care once the burning is complete?


Hard to say, but having been a smoker, I'm going to assume it was related to the crippling physical addiction. We can argue about if falling prey to an addiction of some sort is a character flaw or not, but assuming it's really idiotic to try an ascribe some self righteous moral judgement to the in the moment action of an addict.


Regardless of why they feel the need to smoke, they should be able to properly dispose of their butts.

Smasharoo wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and assume you never smoked or at least not enough to form a habit. I'm assuming that because it's the only possible way I can imagine anyone being so mind numbingly blind to such obvious factors. I'm glad the marketing campaign worked and you see smoking as "uncool".


Beyond a few times here and there, never. I don't care if they smoke, or smoke around me. I don't have a problem going to a bar and coming home with my clothes smelling of stale smoke. Ok, I don't like waking up hung over, having not removed the previous nights' shirt and smelling stale smoke that early, but I don't blame the smokers for that. But they can at least clean up after themselves.

Smasharoo wrote:

Try to imagine yourself making the same post about someone with stomach cancer who became addicted to morphine and is having trouble stopping after beating the disease.


If they were throwing their empty pill bottles needles on the streets or parking lots? Maybe.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2012 10:06pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#19 Jul 02 2012 at 8:06 PM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts

I'd gladly switch nicotine for morphine, but those a-holes at the hospital keep telling me no.


I actually lied, earlier. I still smoke, I'm down to about 3 a day. Not in the car, not in the house, and comically, because I have children, not near them. In addition to that, because I married Nexa, I can't really smoke near the house, because we live in a neighborhood full of children and their parents are the sort of sickening people who jog, wander over and visit and the like. Not only do none of them smoke, but they are basically a sit com rogues gallery of people who would most be offended by smoking. Our two nearest neighbors are literally a family medicine doctor and a firefighter.

So, I have to find opportune times to get in my car and drive 5 miles away to smoke.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#20 Jul 02 2012 at 8:11 PM Rating: Default
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts

Regardless of why they feel the need to smoke, they should be able to properly dispose of their butts.


Yes, I see your point. If only we could invent some sort of giant machine that would clean the streets of tiny pieces of cotton and paper and plant matter. With some sort of "sweeping" motion perhaps....

You understand there's a metaphorical line that can be crossed where good intentions become hectoring nannyism, right? You're on the other side of it here.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#21 Jul 02 2012 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
This seems like a good thread to mention that I'm still not smoking. Been... five weeks now? Six? When was Memorial Day?

Anyway, yeah. That.
#22 Jul 02 2012 at 8:15 PM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts

This seems like a good thread to mention that I'm still not smoking. Been... five weeks now? Six? When was Memorial Day?

Anyway, yeah. That.


Good work! I know it's not easy. Or if it is, **** you!
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#23 Jul 02 2012 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,883 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
Yes, I see your point. If only we could invent some sort of giant machine that would clean the streets of tiny pieces of cotton and paper and plant matter. With some sort of "sweeping" motion perhaps..


If only these magical sweeping machines were used everywhere. Too bad for those places without such magical machines.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#24 Jul 02 2012 at 8:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,237 posts
Nadenu wrote:
I'm still not smoking


Not smoking, working AND moving to a new place. Smiley: yippee

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#25 Jul 02 2012 at 8:22 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,296 posts
Around here the fine is specifically for "ejecting a burning item from your vehicle".

Seeing as the Black Hills tends to burn to the ground with some regularity, that does make sense.

On a side note, I see some new cars these days are not equiped with ashtrays at all. Why is Detroit in the biz of social engineering?
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#26 Jul 02 2012 at 8:24 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,567 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
On a side note, I see some new cars these days are not equiped with ashtrays at all. Why is Detroit in the biz of social engineering?

GM is owned by Obama. Smiley: tinfoilhat
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 90 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (90)