Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Friday's Thread of Great IdeasFollow

#1 Jun 29 2012 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,322 posts
It's rainy and blechy. I'm only working a half day with plans to pick quarts upon quarts of strawberries after work.

Tomorrow we're going to greek festival. This has gotten to be one of my annual highlights. Should be fun.

I got an orchid for mother's day last year (2011). It came with one sorry little flower on it. Finally yesterday, it bloomed again - with two flowers and two more buds almost ready to pop.

I don't have any great ideas. But this mornings musing have all swirled around the topic du'jour - health care. I'm rather ambivalent about obama-care. I think it's necessary for the government to play a role in healthcare distribution, but as it stands now, it's not going to do much to slow the down the accelerating price of health-care nor our increasing reliance on medications to be able to live a normalish type existence.

Is it our lazy-*** lifestyles that came first, or the drugs to counter-act the effects of that lifestyle that allowed us to overindulge?

Do we over-test? Have we all gone hypochondriac...Are we being deceived into believing we have to have all these tests strictly for the sake of profit. Does over- testing lead to over-treatment?

Are bio-pharmaceuticals really that much better than traditional medicine that we have to break the bank to pay for them? Should patents expire and generics be allowed?

Is wellness part of healthcare? Instead of Lipitor couldn't a doctor prescribe greens a rice-steamer and a treadmill? Will insurance pay for it?

We've let our health and the health industry get so out of control. I have a nagging feeling we were led on a bit.




____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Jun 29 2012 at 8:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,905 posts
I'm going to take apart the back half of my car tomorrow. Seems like a good idea at the time. (technically just the right rear axle shaft to replace the wheel bearing and axle seal, but it involves opening the differential, which is scary!)

Also, taking over the world with the assistance of australian minions. There is no greater idea!
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#3 Jun 29 2012 at 8:13 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,520 posts
Gonna be hotish Saturday, which seems like just the perfect day to go to a zoo against my will.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Jun 29 2012 at 8:17 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,322 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Gonna be hotish Saturday, which seems like just the perfect day to go to a zoo against my will.


Make a game out of the adventure by trying to find and photograph animals who are having *** or jacking-off.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#5 Jun 29 2012 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
Gonna be hotish Saturday, which seems like just the perfect day to go to a zoo against my will.

Nothing is more rewarding than looking at a bunch of empty exhibits because the animals said "fuck this noise" and are sitting inside their privacy enclosure in the shade.

"Look honey! Over there! No, way back there... see, up on the fiberglass rocks? You can sort of make out the back of the lion wedged into that crevice and facing away from us..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#6 Jun 29 2012 at 9:11 AM Rating: Good
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
It's going to be freaking hot this weekend (today's high of 106 with a real feel of 115) so we're hunkering down in the house with the ac. I even bought a few sundresses to survive.
____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
#7 Jun 29 2012 at 9:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Flea and I are going to Ravinia tomorrow which is one of those outdoor park type things where they have performances and you can sit in the lawn and have a picnic and bottle of wine and listen to the music. Sarah McLachlan is performing which is about perfect for me. I haven't paid attention to her since the mid 90's so she hits the sweet spot of pleasant enough to listen to while sitting on a lawn and drinking wine but no one I care enough about to be upset that I'm not seeing the actual performance.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#8 Jun 29 2012 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
In continuing the trend, I'm going to completely ignore the questions Elinda posed and just talk about myself.

Wedding plans are a struggle, and I'm just trying to power us through them. A few friends are making it difficult, and the two major people that the fiancee wanted to be there can no longer come. She's quite bummed about it. There are further attendee complications, but they're a bit too personal to share. Nothing catastrophic, but definitely headache-inducing.

The weekend will be for writing, gaming, chores, and trying to teach the dog to use the fake grass thing that we have to pee. She's having some trouble holding it when we're gone for extended periods, and there's no place to go in our 2nd floor apt. 'cept the carpet right now.

The situation needs to be remedied.

Edited, Jun 29th 2012 11:30am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#9 Jun 29 2012 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Eske Esquire wrote:
In continuing the trend, I'm going to completely ignore the questions Elinda posed and just talk about myself.

I just pour peroxide on it until it's better. It'd be nice if the government would pay for my 88 cent bottles of peroxide though.

You think I'm kidding about the first point but I'm not. Ask Flea.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#10 Jun 29 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
****
6,755 posts
Since I finished the term last weekend and don't start the next till next weekend, I'm going to enjoy this one. Going out on my friends boat tomorrow, then we're going to brew up a batch of beer in the evening. Not much planned for Sunday, probably a lazy day.

I'm under contract on the house, so I'm scrambling to get things knocked out before closing. We did the inspection yesterday which went pretty well, the appraisal is next week. Trying to get some estimates done beforehand for some work I'd like to do prior to moving in.
____________________________
Some people are like slinkies, they aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
#11 Jun 29 2012 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,322 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:

Wedding plans are a struggle, and I'm just trying to power us through them. A few friends are making it difficult, and the two major people that the fiancee wanted to be there can no longer come. She's quite bummed about it. There are further attendee complications, but they're a bit too personal to share. Nothing catastrophic, but definitely headache-inducing.

Elope. I've not yet regretted it as so many warned me I would.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#12 Jun 29 2012 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Elinda wrote:
Is it our lazy-*** lifestyles that came first, or the drugs to counter-act the effects of that lifestyle that allowed us to overindulge?


Chicken and egg, don't try to separate them.

Elinda wrote:
Do we over-test?


Yes

Elinda wrote:
Does over- testing lead to over-treatment?


Yes

Elinda wrote:
Are bio-pharmaceuticals really that much better than traditional medicine that we have to break the bank to pay for them?


The difference between dying young and living longer with higher fees, personal choice.

Elinda wrote:
Should patents expire and generics be allowed?


Yes, but you still have to allow for some profit for the drug companies, drug development isn't cheap, and there's a big grey area there.

Elinda wrote:
Is wellness part of healthcare? Instead of Lipitor couldn't a doctor prescribe greens a rice-steamer and a treadmill? Will insurance pay for it?


Yes, doubtful, probably not. However my insurance gives me a discount if I exercise regularly. Smiley: cool

Elinda wrote:
We've let our health and the health industry get so out of control. I have a nagging feeling we were led on a bit.


Not really, those funding the healthcare get to choose what we study. For example our hospital is a public/private partnership, which means we get state funds, fees from use, individual researchers get grants from the government and other places, and we get donations from individuals. Private donations from wealthy individuals are way up, government contribution is slacking (just in general over the last 20 years or so). If you have the money to donate $50 million to research, you won't care if the drug they develop costs $15,000 a month.

But it isn't just that, in some other thread I was lamenting the general cost of these things. To some degree we've solved a lot of the simple problems, and a lot of the things people are dying of now are harder and more expensive to treat. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that dying of a heart attack at 65 meant you had lived a long, full, and successful life.

Anyway, Mom in town this weekend, and we leave on vacation here soon. Some visiting and a lot of preparation are planned. Also I want to play D3, but we'll see how much that happens.

____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#13 Jun 29 2012 at 10:09 AM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Going out for a delicious bowl of pho tonight with some spring roll action. Cooking out tomorrow evening. Will probably light up the fire pit to make smores and drinks. Going away party at a local restaurant on Sunday for a coworker. I'm thinking my other time will be spent sleeping, playing video games, and exercising.
#14 Jun 29 2012 at 10:15 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
Been crashing at the parents' house while they've been away for the past two weeks. They're back on Sunday. Better clean the house...
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#15 Jun 29 2012 at 10:42 AM Rating: Good
***
2,820 posts
We're meeting my sister, her partner, and my nephew at the park to take some age 3 pictures of my son and get a few of him and my nephew together. Other than that the weekend is wide open.

I'm sure by the end of it, chasing a 3 year old around for 2.5 days wll have completely exhausted me.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#16 Jun 29 2012 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:

Wedding plans are a struggle, and I'm just trying to power us through them. A few friends are making it difficult, and the two major people that the fiancee wanted to be there can no longer come. She's quite bummed about it. There are further attendee complications, but they're a bit too personal to share. Nothing catastrophic, but definitely headache-inducing.

Elope. I've not yet regretted it as so many warned me I would.


Mmm, that's what the fiancee keeps saying when she gets stressed out about the plans.

I'd be fine with it, myself. But I don't think that she really would. She talks a big game about not caring for all the production, but she makes far too many comments that subconsciously suggest that she really does want a lot of it. I suspect if we eloped, I'd be hearing about how she wished we hadn't within a few years.

My current line of thinking is that things will settle down once things start getting booked. When there's a degree of certainty to the plans, I think she might be able to relax a bit.

We'll see though.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#17 Jun 29 2012 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
I'll be photographing RosRock this weekend, it's gonna be fun.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#18 Jun 29 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:

Wedding plans are a struggle, and I'm just trying to power us through them. A few friends are making it difficult, and the two major people that the fiancee wanted to be there can no longer come. She's quite bummed about it. There are further attendee complications, but they're a bit too personal to share. Nothing catastrophic, but definitely headache-inducing.

Elope. I've not yet regretted it as so many warned me I would.


Mmm, that's what the fiancee keeps saying when she gets stressed out about the plans.

I'd be fine with it, myself. But I don't think that she really would. She talks a big game about not caring for all the production, but she makes far too many comments that subconsciously suggest that she really does want a lot of it. I suspect if we eloped, I'd be hearing about how she wished we hadn't within a few years.

My current line of thinking is that things will settle down once things start getting booked. When there's a degree of certainty to the plans, I think she might be able to relax a bit.

We'll see though.


It's obvious she cares because when you're traveling to Hawaii to get married you can't expect that everyone you want to be there can or will be there. I don't understand why when two people decide to get hitched that they expect everyone else to spend money on them.

BT and I got married in the courthouse and we're going to be together forever.

I did have a post typed out about my weekend plans and fitting an early morning trip to the farmer's market in between two late shifts, and how being vegan is actually *gasp* cheaper than eating meat, and blah blah healthy living blah blah other people's health blah blah other **** that nobody really cares about or thinks about apparently. I guess I'll just gloat that I have a three day "weekend" that is Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and I'm super stoked. Probably going to play in the garden. It's going to be close but I might even have some tomatoes ripe by then... Smiley: drool2
#19 Jun 29 2012 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Hotter than I prefer this weekend (aka in the 100s) so my lawn can suffer, I am not going out in this heat. Got Red Dead Redemption in the mail so I guess I will be spending the weekend shooting zombies on the back of my horse acting like a badass. Until they knock me off my horse and I scream like a little girl as they use me as an all you can eat buffet.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#20 Jun 29 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Decent
****
6,470 posts
Guenny wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:

Wedding plans are a struggle, and I'm just trying to power us through them. A few friends are making it difficult, and the two major people that the fiancee wanted to be there can no longer come. She's quite bummed about it. There are further attendee complications, but they're a bit too personal to share. Nothing catastrophic, but definitely headache-inducing.

Elope. I've not yet regretted it as so many warned me I would.


Mmm, that's what the fiancee keeps saying when she gets stressed out about the plans.

I'd be fine with it, myself. But I don't think that she really would. She talks a big game about not caring for all the production, but she makes far too many comments that subconsciously suggest that she really does want a lot of it. I suspect if we eloped, I'd be hearing about how she wished we hadn't within a few years.

My current line of thinking is that things will settle down once things start getting booked. When there's a degree of certainty to the plans, I think she might be able to relax a bit.

We'll see though.


It's obvious she cares because when you're traveling to Hawaii to get married you can't expect that everyone you want to be there can or will be there. I don't understand why when two people decide to get hitched that they expect everyone else to spend money on them.

BT and I got married in the courthouse and we're going to be together forever.


La-de-fucking-da for you.

Guenny, you're not privy to our situation, so I'll thank you to not use my fiancee as an opportunity to get on your soapbox. I haven't given you near enough details to make those kind of assumptions.

Edited, Jun 29th 2012 1:58pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#21 Jun 29 2012 at 12:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
I haven't given you near enough details to make those kind of assumptions.


Like that's ever stopped anyone. Smiley: rolleyes

My uninformed advice would be not to sweat things too much. We went through 3 different wedding coordinators when planning our destination wedding. One retired, then we had a temp while they searched for a replacement, and finally we had the replacement. We ended up finally being told a couple of months before the ceremony that we needed to provide our own minister person, photographer, and something else (sorry, it's been a couple of years...), after being told by the temp those were being taken care of. Lousy temps... Smiley: glare

Anyhoo, the day were off without a hitch. Some people never made it, but honestly our core family was there, and that was the most important for us. There's always something that doesn't go the way you want it to, but as long as you can laugh about it and make some good memories it'll be ok in the end. Of course that doesn't mean you all won't stress like crazy for the next couple of months, that's just part of the deal. Smiley: wink
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#22 Jun 29 2012 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,461 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
My uninformed advice would be not to sweat things too much. We went through 3 different wedding coordinators when planning our destination wedding. One retired, then we had a temp while they searched for a replacement, and finally we had the replacement. We ended up finally being told a couple of months before the ceremony that we needed to provide our own minister person, photographer, and something else (sorry, it's been a couple of years...), after being told by the temp those were being taken care of. Lousy temps... Smiley: glare

Anyhoo, the day were off without a hitch. Some people never made it, but honestly our core family was there, and that was the most important for us. There's always something that doesn't go the way you want it to, but as long as you can laugh about it and make some good memories it'll be ok in the end. Of course that doesn't mean you all won't stress like crazy for the next couple of months, that's just part of the deal. Smiley: wink

This. I had the most ridiculous arguments I have ever had with any other human being on the eve of my wedding. My mother kindly invested in a wedding planner as a gift for me-I only had her for the last couple of weeks and the day of, but God Bless Her. Ran interference with everyone and allowed me to enjoy the day. I could send people ******** about the flowers and my lack of attention to liquor and my thoughtlessness about blablabla to her and say "I honestly don't know what the status is, call Amy." Oh, heaven. The wedding was lovely, but it makes little difference in the marriage long-term. No matter what she does, the two of you will be there and that's the clincher. Once I saw Joph, I could have given ****-all about anyone else there. Just hang on to each other-good practice for the future.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#23 Jun 29 2012 at 12:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,461 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
In continuing the trend, I'm going to completely ignore the questions Elinda posed and just talk about myself.

I just pour peroxide on it until it's better. It'd be nice if the government would pay for my 88 cent bottles of peroxide though.

You think I'm kidding about the first point but I'm not. Ask Flea.
No health scare that Joph can't solve with an exacto blade and a bottle of peroxide. He is a suburban Rambo.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#24 Jun 29 2012 at 12:42 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,520 posts
He needs to punch a mime to unlock that achievement.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Jun 29 2012 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
I haven't given you near enough details to make those kind of assumptions.


Like that's ever stopped anyone. Smiley: rolleyes

My uninformed advice would be not to sweat things too much. We went through 3 different wedding coordinators when planning our destination wedding. One retired, then we had a temp while they searched for a replacement, and finally we had the replacement. We ended up finally being told a couple of months before the ceremony that we needed to provide our own minister person, photographer, and something else (sorry, it's been a couple of years...), after being told by the temp those were being taken care of. Lousy temps... Smiley: glare

Anyhoo, the day were off without a hitch. Some people never made it, but honestly our core family was there, and that was the most important for us. There's always something that doesn't go the way you want it to, but as long as you can laugh about it and make some good memories it'll be ok in the end. Of course that doesn't mean you all won't stress like crazy for the next couple of months, that's just part of the deal. Smiley: wink


Flea wrote:
The wedding was lovely, but it makes little difference in the marriage long-term. No matter what she does, the two of you will be there and that's the clincher. Once I saw Joph, I could have given @#%^-all about anyone else there. Just hang on to each other-good practice for the future.


Thanks, that's good to hear.

It's a bit of an odd situation for us, as neither of us are really close with our parents. I have no relationship with mine, and she's never been really close with hers, so there's no core family. I guess it's a bit freeing to not have to worry about obsessive parental control (my mom would have been a nightmare to deal with). The trade off is that we're pretty much on our own. The maid of honor has been AWOL ever since being named, and will no longer be attending, too.

I think we're capable of handling it, all the same. But I roll with the punches much better than the fiancee; the trick is getting her to laugh off the problems and enjoy the moment, I guess.

I really think it's gonna be a lot of fun. I don't get to travel much, so it's doubly exciting.

Edited, Jun 29th 2012 2:45pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#26 Jun 29 2012 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
You know, I never used to double post, and now it's happened like 8 times in the past two weeks. What gives? I feel like something in the site redesign isn't clicking for me.

Edited, Jun 29th 2012 2:47pm by Eske

Edited, Jun 29th 2012 2:47pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#27 Jun 29 2012 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
***
2,820 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
You know, I never used to double post, and now it's happened like 8 times in the past two weeks. What gives? I feel like something in the site redesign isn't clicking for me.


I've been having the same problem lately.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#28 Jun 29 2012 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:

Wedding plans are a struggle, and I'm just trying to power us through them. A few friends are making it difficult, and the two major people that the fiancee wanted to be there can no longer come. She's quite bummed about it. There are further attendee complications, but they're a bit too personal to share. Nothing catastrophic, but definitely headache-inducing.

Elope. I've not yet regretted it as so many warned me I would.


Mmm, that's what the fiancee keeps saying when she gets stressed out about the plans.

I'd be fine with it, myself. But I don't think that she really would. She talks a big game about not caring for all the production, but she makes far too many comments that subconsciously suggest that she really does want a lot of it. I suspect if we eloped, I'd be hearing about how she wished we hadn't within a few years.

My current line of thinking is that things will settle down once things start getting booked. When there's a degree of certainty to the plans, I think she might be able to relax a bit.

We'll see though.

You could do what Sick and I did. We got married twice. Once was the legal paperwork, with only our moms to witness. Later we had the big wedding and I changed my last name. It took some of the stress off. Plus, we now have two anniversaries to go out and celebrate.
____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
#29 Jun 29 2012 at 4:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,382 posts
not wedding or healthcare related... um, I think if I survive tonight, I'll be playing some videogames, maybe reading some theory and going on a long bikeride
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#30 Jun 29 2012 at 5:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,905 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
You know, I never used to double post, and now it's happened like 8 times in the past two weeks. What gives? I feel like something in the site redesign isn't clicking for me.



As the designated forum doublepost nuker, I can assure you that there are actually fewer of them overall, but more for certain specific individuals. I'm not sure why. we're looking into it. Browser choice and script blockage are believed to play some role.

Administrator Kaolian
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#31 Jun 29 2012 at 6:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
It's hot as **** here.

I'm still working, yay!

Two more weeks until we get to move to our apartment, double yay!

I'm having a glass of wine right now, the first one in about five weeks, triple yay!

As far as healthcare goes, what Joph said. If it can't be fixed with peroxide (or wine), then it's my time. See you guys on the other side!
#32 Jun 29 2012 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,139 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Flea and I are going to Ravinia tomorrow which is one of those outdoor park type things where they have performances and you can sit in the lawn and have a picnic and bottle of wine and listen to the music. Sarah McLachlan is performing which is about perfect for me. I haven't paid attention to her since the mid 90's so she hits the sweet spot of pleasant enough to listen to while sitting on a lawn and drinking wine but no one I care enough about to be upset that I'm not seeing the actual performance.

Considering you are actively attending a Sarah McLachlan concert, it's probably not your thing, but the Ribfest lineup this year is actually pretty awesome: Steve Miller Band tonight, Joe Walsh on Saturday, and ZZ Top on Sunday.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#33 Jun 29 2012 at 7:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'd be all for any of those as well aside from my Saturday already being booked and a zero percent chance of getting Flea to Ribfest on Sunday.

I am a man of many musical tastes.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#34 Jun 29 2012 at 8:52 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,051 posts
Demea wrote:
Considering you are actively attending a Sarah McLachlan concert, it's probably not your thing, but the Ribfest lineup this year is actually pretty awesome: Steve Miller Band tonight, Joe Walsh on Saturday, and ZZ Top on Sunday.

That is pretty awesome - Rock 'n Ribs!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#35 Jun 29 2012 at 8:58 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
We had a nice dinner downtown once it cooled off, but we're looking at a record high of 109 tomorrow, so we'll also be hunkered down inside with the AC. We are having a midyear/ early 4th party tomorrow night, though.

Oh, and I have to read 8 chapters of IT project management by Monday.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#36 Jun 29 2012 at 9:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,905 posts
Today was a fun day. And by fun, I mean the complete polar opposite of fun...

Some ******* decided to steal our Main network trunk between our main site and the state capitol. Unfortunatly for them, it wasn't copper, but fiber optic cable. The large "THIS IS FIBER OPTIC CABLE" lettering on the side of the cable should have helped, but apperently less so in the dark, and so, they sawed through all 48 of them before they realized they weren't going to get to steal any copper and took off. We own the part that got cut, but our service is also attached partially through a telephone company who shall rename nameless but rhyles with Dentury stink, and they decided right away the problem was with their segment "don't worry, we found the problem, we'refixing it, we'll call you when its done, etc.". 4 hours after that, they decided the problem wasn't with their segment, and so we started looking for breaks again. Turns out a portion of our run that is normally buried is exposed due to road construction and rerouted where it is really easy to get at.

So yeah. If it was possible to make unknown someones explode with shere mental hatred, there would have been a spontanious copper stealer combustion occuring somewhere today in the area.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#37 Jun 30 2012 at 8:34 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,051 posts
What, you can't pawn sections of fiber?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#38 Jul 02 2012 at 9:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,461 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I'd be all for any of those as well aside from my Saturday already being booked and a zero percent chance of getting Flea to Ribfest on Sunday.

[:vomit:] Ribfest.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 59 All times are in CST
Cyliena, Kavekkk, Strummer, Anonymous Guests (56)