Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

MusicliciousFollow

#1 Jun 11 2012 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
I've been feeling music deficient. For whatever reason, I've not been keeping up on the new, nor seeking out fresh old.

I did just see that the young Swedish folk picker, Kristian Matsson (aka The Tallest Man on Earth) has a new album coming out (LISTEN HERE). I'm listening now.

Still I need further replenishment. Feed me.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Jun 11 2012 at 8:26 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,137 posts
I'll just leave this here to annoy you.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Jun 11 2012 at 8:40 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,021 posts
Band of Skulls, off of their second album.

____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#4 Jun 11 2012 at 8:40 AM Rating: Excellent
I like these guys.

Their individual channels are also solid.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#5 Jun 11 2012 at 9:26 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
I recognize the Aquabats from Nick Jr.

I'm not interested in any new music. But I am trying to teach myself the guitar so I can play all my favorite oldies.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#6 Jun 11 2012 at 10:19 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,258 posts
Quote:
I did just see that the young Swedish folk picker, Kristian Matsson (aka The Tallest Man on Earth) has a new album coming out (LISTEN HERE). I'm listening now.


Huh, I kinda like it. That guy's good.


Here, try some Chris Velan:



You can find more here
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#7 Jun 11 2012 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
Check out WYCE.org. It's the local public radio station in Grand Rapids, MI. They play a very eclectic mix of jazz, blues, rock, folk and world beat music,
____________________________
Come on Bill, let's go home
[ffxisig]63311[/ffxisig]
#8 Jun 11 2012 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
I can't link you to anything because I'm at work, but check out a band from the New Orleans area called Future Leaders of the World. they have a new single out that I can best describe as rock, even though the lead singer sounds like he would be better off in a soul or blues group.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#9 Jun 11 2012 at 11:58 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,258 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I can't link you to anything because I'm at work, but check out a band from the New Orleans area called Future Leaders of the World. they have a new single out that I can best describe as rock, even though the lead singer sounds like he would be better off in a soul or blues group.


I used to listen to a band called Future Leaders Of The World when I was in high school. Is this the same band? All I can find doing an admittedly lazy search are links to the stuff from back then.

____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#10 Jun 11 2012 at 1:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,459 posts
I can't listen to anything here now in court, but can you describe some of your favorite groups and go from there? Also, Pandora is great. Input your favorite music and it will help you by suggesting newer bands that it thinks you might like. I know there are other services out there that do the same thing, but this is the one that has worked for me.

Edit: Also Shazam/Soundhound apps for when you hear a song you like at the Old Navy or whatever and think "@#%^, I wish I knew who sang that."

Edited, Jun 11th 2012 2:12pm by Atomicflea
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#11 Jun 11 2012 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Driftwood wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I can't link you to anything because I'm at work, but check out a band from the New Orleans area called Future Leaders of the World. they have a new single out that I can best describe as rock, even though the lead singer sounds like he would be better off in a soul or blues group.


I used to listen to a band called Future Leaders Of The World when I was in high school. Is this the same band? All I can find doing an admittedly lazy search are links to the stuff from back then.



I rarely listen to music when in the car, but on the way home last night the local station was doing a 1 hour show called "NOLA Rocks" and it was supposed to be all local music. It's entirely possible I heard the name of the band wrong because I am now experiencing the same thing as you in only finding stuff from an old band named FLOTW (since renamed Machina) that does not appear to be from the New Orleans area.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#12 Jun 11 2012 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
After doing the NOLA Jazz Fest this year, I have a new found respect for many of the New Orleans funk bands. Galactic, Lettuce, Soulive, Papa Grows Funk, are all phenomenal live acts. Also the band that started it all, The Meters, and the subsequent derivations thereof.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#13 Jun 11 2012 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,258 posts
Atomicflea wrote:
I can't listen to anything here now in court, but can you describe some of your favorite groups and go from there? Also, Pandora is great. Input your favorite music and it will help you by suggesting newer bands that it thinks you might like. I know there are other services out there that do the same thing, but this is the one that has worked for me.


I miss Pandora. Maybe on day they'll let us Canadians use it again. One day...

Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Driftwood wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I can't link you to anything because I'm at work, but check out a band from the New Orleans area called Future Leaders of the World. they have a new single out that I can best describe as rock, even though the lead singer sounds like he would be better off in a soul or blues group.


I used to listen to a band called Future Leaders Of The World when I was in high school. Is this the same band? All I can find doing an admittedly lazy search are links to the stuff from back then.



I rarely listen to music when in the car, but on the way home last night the local station was doing a 1 hour show called "NOLA Rocks" and it was supposed to be all local music. It's entirely possible I heard the name of the band wrong because I am now experiencing the same thing as you in only finding stuff from an old band named FLOTW (since renamed Machina) that does not appear to be from the New Orleans area.


It's possible. The one I was talking about is the Machina one. They were an ok band. Still listen to them from time to time. I was wondering, cause I'd like to check it out if they've been making new music. It's hard to find stuff about "local" music no matter where you are unless you know exactly where to look.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#14 Jun 11 2012 at 4:42 PM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
I can't access the radio station's website at work, but I'll check it out when I get home and let you know. They should have something on there about the bands they were featuring during the "locals hour".

Edit: According to FLOTW and Machina's discography on Wikipedia, their last albums were released in 2011.

Edited, Jun 11th 2012 5:42pm by Bigdaddyjug
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#15 Jun 11 2012 at 7:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,132 posts
Would help to know what you like.

Depending on my mood, I've been listening to Wye Oak, Shearwater, Mountain Goats, Wilco, and a lot of older stuff - REM, Willie Dixon, Van Morrison, Allman Brothers.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#16 Jun 11 2012 at 8:18 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult (someone help me out with the umlaut?), The Kinks, Cream, Dire Straits, George Thoroughgood, Steve Miller....

...Bach, Beethoven, Grieg, Bach, Vivaldi, Strauss, Mozart, Bach, Brahms...
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#17 Jun 11 2012 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
******
43,137 posts
Baby got Bach.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#18 Jun 11 2012 at 9:36 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
Johann Sebastian and all the little baby Bachs.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#19 Jun 11 2012 at 10:53 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts


The original is pretty good, too. But this is better.
____________________________
Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007) wrote:
I am eternally grateful.. for my knack of finding in great books, some of them very funny books, reason enough to feel honored to be alive, no matter what else might be going on.
#20 Jun 12 2012 at 1:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
26,679 posts
I have no idea what you like but Steve Hackett (Former Genesis) made a new album not so long ago:


And as for oldies, if you don't know (and love) this CSN song, you're doin'it rong:
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#21 Jun 12 2012 at 4:37 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,258 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I can't access the radio station's website at work, but I'll check it out when I get home and let you know. They should have something on there about the bands they were featuring during the "locals hour".

Edit: According to FLOTW and Machina's discography on Wikipedia, their last albums were released in 2011.

Edited, Jun 11th 2012 5:42pm by Bigdaddyjug



Cool, I might have to check that out. Didn't know they were still making music that recently, wonder if the music sounds any different these days..
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#22 Jun 12 2012 at 6:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,132 posts
Bowie just re-released "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" digitally remastered, if that tickles your fancy.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#23 Jun 12 2012 at 6:20 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
Debalic wrote:
Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult (someone help me out with the umlaut?), The Kinks, Cream, Dire Straits, George Thoroughgood, Steve Miller....
The first LP I ever bought was the Doobie Brothers Captain and Me. Anyone remember Black Oak Arkansas?





____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#24 Jun 12 2012 at 6:25 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:


And as for oldies, if you don't know (and love) this CSN song, you're doin'it rong:

You guys are tapping into my memories this morning. My first date with my husband was a CNS concert.

Southern Cross is on my lifetime list of favs, I'd forgotten about Cathedral. It never got as much play time as it deserved.





Edited, Jun 12th 2012 2:29pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#25 Jun 12 2012 at 6:28 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
Not sure if I ever shared this little number with =4, but i really like this song....

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#26 Jun 12 2012 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
Driftwood wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I can't access the radio station's website at work, but I'll check it out when I get home and let you know. They should have something on there about the bands they were featuring during the "locals hour".

Edit: According to FLOTW and Machina's discography on Wikipedia, their last albums were released in 2011.

Edited, Jun 11th 2012 5:42pm by Bigdaddyjug



Cool, I might have to check that out. Didn't know they were still making music that recently, wonder if the music sounds any different these days..


If it's the same band I heard on the radio Sunday night, it's a bluesy-rocky sort of sound. As I said, the best way to describe it is a rock song with a blues singer's voice doing the vocals.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#27 Jun 12 2012 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
Jack White's new album, Blunderbuss, is pretty great.





Other than that, the only other album I've bought this year is The Black Keys' El Camino. Oh, & I've been listening to Goldfinger & Reel Big Fish in anticipation of a concert I'm going to next week.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#28 Jun 12 2012 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
******
43,137 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
Oh, & I've been listening to Goldfinger & Reel Big Fish in anticipation of a concert I'm going to next week.
Jealous. Smiley: crymore
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#29 Jun 13 2012 at 9:35 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
Elinda wrote:
Debalic wrote:
Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult (someone help me out with the umlaut?), The Kinks, Cream, Dire Straits, George Thoroughgood, Steve Miller....
The first LP I ever bought was the Doobie Brothers Captain and Me. Anyone remember Black Oak Arkansas?

No love for Boston? I have them on vinyl. Foreplay/Long Time still just blows me away.

The Doobie Brothers was the first concert I went to. Then B.B. King (with my dad) and What's Left of the Allman Brothers. I hope to see some more of my favorites before they all die off.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#30 Jun 13 2012 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,137 posts
Tom T. Hall.

Screw new.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#31 Jun 13 2012 at 4:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,132 posts
I just dug out some old CDs and transferred them to my iPod. I had totally forgotten going through a major Afro-Caribbean/South American phase, but it's nice to have that music back.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#32 Jun 13 2012 at 9:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
479 posts
My Smiley: twocents...
Lone Justice (not the best quality vid)


Martin Briley (great F-you! song)
#33 Jun 13 2012 at 11:46 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
I'm trying to find new stuff to listen to, so I've been checking out my YouTube recommendations.

I like the Yoshida Brothers, especially when they mix Japanese and other unique instruments:


I also really like the OST for the anime Kids on the Slope:
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#34 Jun 19 2012 at 6:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I've been playing the hell out of Metric's new single. Gives me that early 90's ecto-alt 120 Minutes vibe.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#35 Jun 19 2012 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,551 posts
Earworm


____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#36 Jun 19 2012 at 11:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Local music earworm

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#37 Jun 20 2012 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
****
7,802 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I've been playing the hell out of Metric's new single. Gives me that early 90's ecto-alt 120 Minutes vibe.


Thanks Joph...listening to the album now.
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#38 Jun 20 2012 at 7:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Yay, I'm helping!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#39 Jun 21 2012 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,459 posts
Quick post to say I @#%^ing love Metric-one of my favorites, but any time I have tried to go see them I have either been out of town or giving birth or some sh*t. I AM going to make this tour, damn it!

Edit to add that Smashing Pumpkin's new album is the shiz. BC finally stopped whatever tantrum he was throwing and it's just fantabulous.




Edited, Jun 21st 2012 9:41am by Atomicflea
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#40 Jun 21 2012 at 8:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Pro-tip: You just hit the Youtube button and enter the item code itself ( 9qV04n54CVU ), not the entire URL.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#41 Jun 21 2012 at 8:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,459 posts
I try, but the video doesn't show on my screen. I blame Bush.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#42 Jun 21 2012 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
I have a problem with embedded videos. I turn the thing on and start listening. While listening, I think I should be able to go stalk other threads, but as soon as I do that I lose the music. I must use my tabs more efficiently.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#43 Jun 21 2012 at 8:50 AM Rating: Good
******
43,137 posts
AtomicFlea wrote:
I blame Bush.
Gavin Rossdale deserves all your blame.

Edited, Jun 21st 2012 11:08am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#44 Jun 21 2012 at 3:46 PM Rating: Good
***
2,790 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
AtomicFlea wrote:
I blame Bush.
Gavin Rossdale deserves all your blame.

Edited, Jun 21st 2012 11:08am by lolgaxe


Oh @#%^ no. It's all that slut Gwen Stefani's fault.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#45 Jun 21 2012 at 7:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,805 posts




robotses.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#46 Jun 21 2012 at 7:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Sure they can do that but they can't get Fallout 3 to stop freezing up on me every half hour Smiley: mad

Some (instrumentally) stripped down Imelda May:
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#47 Jun 21 2012 at 7:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,805 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Sure they can do that but they can't get Fallout 3 to stop freezing up on me every half hour Smiley: mad


Next time buy a real gaming video card!

But seriously, freezing is something that can be troubleshot if you are of a mind to have the problem diagnosed.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#48 Jun 21 2012 at 7:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I've a thread about it in the other games forum Smiley: grin
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#49 Jun 21 2012 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
******
43,137 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
robotses.
Futuristic Sex Robotzes.


Edited, Jun 21st 2012 10:00pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#50 Jun 22 2012 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
I just heard this on the radio and thought it was pretty awesome - Mumford & Sons covering The Boxer.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#51 Jun 25 2012 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,508 posts
I think we'll all be sick of this one some day, but here is Edward Sharpe and Magnetic Zero's new song/video. I like it. Smiley: nod

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 43 All times are in CDT
ElneClare, Jophiel, Kavekk, someproteinguy, Xsarus, Anonymous Guests (38)