Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reply To Thread

Mitt and ____________??Follow

#1 Apr 06 2012 at 6:24 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
I think the possibility of Mitt's nomination as republican presidential candidate is sure enough we can speculate on running mates.

This morning driving in to work I was listening to yet another interview with SC Gov. Nikki Haley (R). She has a book out and is apparently promoting it. Is the timing coincident? I don't think so. Seriously, does a governor not have enough to do that they can randomly make time to go on a book promotion tour?

I think she's eyeing up that vp spot next to Rom. She sure sucked up to him in this mornings interview.

Who else is a likely match to Mitt?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#2 Apr 06 2012 at 6:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
She supposedly said the other day that she wouldn't accept the VP slot if offered. I know, I know... easy enough to say this stuff in April. But I also feel that one of Romney's aides would neck-punch the guy and replace him with a robot before allowing him to pick a young, attractive female governor half way through her first term as his VP choice.

I get the feeling that his choice will be as non-controversial as possible. Not sure who but it won't be Haley, it won't be Rubio, it won't be Rand Paul.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3 Apr 06 2012 at 6:59 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,831 posts
Elinda wrote:
Seriously, does a governor not have enough to do that they can randomly make time to go on a book promotion tour?
Plenty of time.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Apr 06 2012 at 7:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The last SC governor had time to make secret trips to Argentina...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5 Apr 06 2012 at 8:31 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
My best guess is either Marco Rubio or Piyush "Bobby" Jindal.

I hope it's Rubio because I don't trust our Lt Governor down here in Louisiana.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#6 Apr 06 2012 at 8:40 AM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Rubio is a Tea Party creature and would serve to further alienate independents.

Unless you're one of the ones who believe Hispanics will flock to a guy with anti-immigration rhetoric and who is only here because of the special asylum rules Cuban immigrants enjoy.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#7 Apr 06 2012 at 8:57 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
I think that Mitt Mormon is so far left, he's going to attract independents by himself. I think if he wants to have a chance to win, he has to do something to attract the conservative wing of the Republican Party, and "not being Barack Obama" isn't going to be enough.

That leads me to believe he's going to tap a Tea Party or other ultra-conservative, youngish Republican to be his running mate.

There's also an off chance he's stopped the attack adds on Rick Santorum because he's planning on forming a coalition with him and offering him the VP spot.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#8 Apr 06 2012 at 9:00 AM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
There's better conservatives you could select than one who embodies (and is championed by) the most extreme factions of the party.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#9 Apr 06 2012 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
I'm of Joph's mind with this. I think they'll err on the side of a safe, unified front this time.
#10 Apr 06 2012 at 9:07 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
I would argue at this point, the Republican Party is split into 3 factions. The ultra-conservative/Tea Party type, the "plain old conservative" establishment, and more moderate conservatives. So let's call them 1, 2, and 3 with the lower the number being the more conservative.

If I were trying to get the votes of all 3 factions, and my presidential candidate was a 3, wouldn't it make the most sense to tap a 1 as VP? Most of the 2s are going to fall in line anyway, and it's the 1s you really risk losing to some other ultra-conservative 3rd party (like Gary Johnson or that nutcase Ron Paul).

Rubio may not be the right choice, but I think an ultra-conservative is the best bet if you want to give Mitt Mormon the best chance to win. As I said previosuly, he's far enough left that he's going to attract disillusioned independents no matter who his running mate is.

Rubio (or Jindal) also make sensebecause they are younger than most of the VP candidates being kicked around, and if they want to give Mitt the best chance to win, they have to take some of the younger voters away from Obama.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#11 Apr 06 2012 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,471 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I would argue at this point, the Republican Party is split into 3 factions. The ultra-conservative/Tea Party type, the "plain old conservative" establishment, and more moderate conservatives. So let's call them 1, 2, and 3 with the lower the number being the more conservative.

If I were trying to get the votes of all 3 factions, and my presidential candidate was a 3, wouldn't it make the most sense to tap a 1 as VP? Most of the 2s are going to fall in line anyway, and it's the 1s you really risk losing to some other ultra-conservative 3rd party (like Gary Johnson or that nutcase Ron Paul).

Rubio may not be the right choice, but I think an ultra-conservative is the best bet if you want to give Mitt Mormon the best chance to win. As I said previosuly, he's far enough left that he's going to attract disillusioned independents no matter who his running mate is.

Rubio (or Jindal) also make sensebecause they are younger than most of the VP candidates being kicked around, and if they want to give Mitt the best chance to win, they have to take some of the younger voters away from Obama.


I think the type 1's mostly just want "not Obama". They'll psych themselves into Mitt + miniMitt if that's the card they're dealt.
#12 Apr 06 2012 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I would argue at this point, the Republican Party is split into 3 factions. The ultra-conservative/Tea Party type, the "plain old conservative" establishment, and more moderate conservatives. So let's call them 1, 2, and 3 with the lower the number being the more conservative.

If I were trying to get the votes of all 3 factions, and my presidential candidate was a 3, wouldn't it make the most sense to tap a 1 as VP? Most of the 2s are going to fall in line anyway, and it's the 1s you really risk losing to some other ultra-conservative 3rd party (like Gary Johnson or that nutcase Ron Paul).

Rubio may not be the right choice, but I think an ultra-conservative is the best bet if you want to give Mitt Mormon the best chance to win. As I said previosuly, he's far enough left that he's going to attract disillusioned independents no matter who his running mate is.

Rubio (or Jindal) also make sensebecause they are younger than most of the VP candidates being kicked around, and if they want to give Mitt the best chance to win, they have to take some of the younger voters away from Obama.


I think the type 1's mostly just want "not Obama". They'll psych themselves into Mitt + miniMitt if that's the card they're dealt.


I disagree mainly because I am one of those type 1s so can speak from my own experience. I'm unlikely to vote for a 3rd party if Mitt chooses an ultra-conservative., but if Mitt chooses another moderate as VP, that could change.

Also, it's not so much that the 1s are going to vote 3rd party, as that they may not be motivated enough to get out and vote in the numbers Romneyt will need to win.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#13 Apr 06 2012 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I would argue at this point, the Republican Party is split into 3 factions. The ultra-conservative/Tea Party type, the "plain old conservative" establishment, and more moderate conservatives. So let's call them 1, 2, and 3 with the lower the number being the more conservative.

If I were trying to get the votes of all 3 factions, and my presidential candidate was a 3, wouldn't it make the most sense to tap a 1 as VP? Most of the 2s are going to fall in line anyway, and it's the 1s you really risk losing to some other ultra-conservative 3rd party (like Gary Johnson or that nutcase Ron Paul).

Rubio may not be the right choice, but I think an ultra-conservative is the best bet if you want to give Mitt Mormon the best chance to win. As I said previosuly, he's far enough left that he's going to attract disillusioned independents no matter who his running mate is.

Rubio (or Jindal) also make sensebecause they are younger than most of the VP candidates being kicked around, and if they want to give Mitt the best chance to win, they have to take some of the younger voters away from Obama.


I think the type 1's mostly just want "not Obama". They'll psych themselves into Mitt + miniMitt if that's the card they're dealt.


I disagree mainly because I am one of those type 1s so can speak from my own experience. I'm unlikely to vote for a 3rd party if Mitt chooses an ultra-conservative., but if Mitt chooses another moderate as VP, that could change.

Also, it's not so much that the 1s are going to vote 3rd party, as that they may not be motivated enough to get out and vote in the numbers Romneyt will need to win.


Agree to disagree. I'm not so sure that you're representative of the typical ultraconservative/TP'er.
#14 Apr 06 2012 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
I'm thinking after this whole contraception hullabaloo it's gotta be a woman, but not one crazy or inexperienced enough to get woman to vote against him.

Unfortunately, that leaves few options.

T-Bagger: Please vote for a 3rd party candidate. That'd be swell.

Edited, Apr 6th 2012 11:20am by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#15 Apr 06 2012 at 9:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Omegavegeta wrote:
I'm thinking after this whole contraception hullabaloo it's gotta be a woman, but not one crazy or inexperienced enough to get woman to vote against him.

Kay Bailey Hutchinson's dance card will be open soon enough.

But she's pro-choice so off the table.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 Apr 06 2012 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,407 posts
Mitt has had to pull fairly far to the right in the primaries. I'll speculate who he chooses will come down in part to how far back towards the center they feel he can drift. I mean originally I thought he'd choose one of the more conservative of the bunch to rally the base, but lately, yeah, and I wonder how big of a rift there really is in the party there too.

Anyway, is 'I don't know' an answer?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#17 Apr 06 2012 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I disagree mainly because I am one of those type 1s so can speak from my own experience. I'm unlikely to vote for a 3rd party if Mitt chooses an ultra-conservative., but if Mitt chooses another moderate as VP, that could change.

Also, it's not so much that the 1s are going to vote 3rd party, as that they may not be motivated enough to get out and vote in the numbers Romneyt will need to win.


Downvoted for having a different political affiliation to me.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#18 Apr 06 2012 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
Yay the first ad hominem attack of the thread.

And yeah, I doubt I'm representative of the typical ultra-conservative, mainly because I'm mostly a fiscal (that word always looks funny when I type it) ultra-conservative while being mush more moderate in my views on social things. I do not, however, in any way consider myself a libertarian. I just think Mitt needs somebody who is that social ultra-conservative to offset his obviously checkered past on numerous issues.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that to win this election, the Republican Party has to get it's constituency excited to go out and vote. Mitt Romney doesn't do that for me, and I doubt he does it for most Republicans, but especially the Tea Party types. To get them excited, you're going to have to pair him with someone they can get excited about. That means someone young and ultra-conservative.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#19 Apr 06 2012 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Yay the first ad hominem attack of the thread.

First wooshed joke as well, I wager.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20 Apr 06 2012 at 9:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Yay the first ad hominem attack of the thread.

First wooshed joke as well, I wager.


I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. If we are talking about the same thing, even if it is a joke, it's still resorting to (jokingly) name calling, which is an ad hominem attack in its simplest form, right?
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#21Kavekk, Posted: Apr 06 2012 at 9:56 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Smiley: laugh
#22 Apr 06 2012 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Kavekk wrote:
Smiley: laugh

Ultra conservatives, being stupid, never know the difference between its and it's. And that makes all of their arguments wrong, automatically.

This guy above me? He's really stupid, and really wrong.

He doesn't know how to use an apostrophe, you see.

Edit: Wait, it was fine anyway. Nothing to see here.

Edited, Apr 6th 2012 3:58pm by Kavekk


Lawl.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#23 Apr 06 2012 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
First double post of the spring, baby!

Edited, Apr 6th 2012 10:59am by Bigdaddyjug
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#24 Apr 06 2012 at 11:27 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,831 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
They'll psych themselves into Mitt + miniMitt if that's the card they're dealt.
I'd unquestioningly vote for Mitt if his VP was Warwick Davis.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Apr 06 2012 at 11:42 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
They'll psych themselves into Mitt + miniMitt if that's the card they're dealt.
I'd unquestioningly vote for Mitt if his VP was Warwick Davis.


What about Verne Troyer with a bad hairpiece?
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#26 Apr 06 2012 at 11:46 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,831 posts
Verne is too obvious as a mini-me choice.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)