Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 Next »
Reply To Thread

The Hunger Games movie sucks bloated goat ***Follow

#152 Aug 16 2012 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
I think this is that German dude who usually rants about Lord of the Rings in the OOT. He makes socks to rant about The Hunger Games in the Asylum.
#153 Aug 16 2012 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,079 posts
I can't wait for the sequel, Harry potter and 50 shades of hunger games.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#154 Aug 16 2012 at 1:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Even by troll standards, this was pretty anticlimactic.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#155awaycomesock, Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 1:09 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The rage wasn't over the movie, you barely literate 'tard. It was about the obnoxiously boneheaded stubbornness people were displaying toward gbaji, who had a perfectly logical and legitimate point.
#156 Aug 16 2012 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
Has gbaji finally flipped his **** and made a blatant defense sock?
#157 Aug 16 2012 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
The rage wasn't over the movie, you barely literate 'tard.
Whatever excuse you need to hide your obsession over tweener books, sunshine.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#158 Aug 16 2012 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
awaycomesock wrote:
The rage wasn't over the movie, you barely literate 'tard.
Whatever excuse you need to hide your obsession over tweener books, sunshine.


ragesock wrote:
Frankly, however, the "plot" and "premise" of this badly plagiarized tween-fiction are so childishly simple that purchasing/borrowing and actually reading it would be redundant at best (more likely, just a waste of time). Seriously, we're not talking Tolstoy here. We're talking about a McNovel published in 21st McCulture, where most are fat on entertainment but deprived of enlightenment.

This book was terribly conceived and articulated. No, we're not complaining about the fact that it is fiction. I don't need a story to be "real" to enjoy it. I do ask, however, that a story be someone "real"-istic. At minimum, not insulting to my intelligence. Dragons are not real. That's fine. Game of Thrones, which I love, has dragons. That's fine. But Game of Thrones tries hard to build a credible world and a coherent (albeit mysterious) history.

This McNovel about Katnip (sic) fails on all fronts. Got it now? Ugh.


If he's hiding it, he's not doing a very good job.

Edited, Aug 16th 2012 3:19pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#159 Aug 16 2012 at 1:27 PM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
Those points in Hide in Plain Sight gotta be good for something.

Edited, Aug 16th 2012 3:27pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#160 Aug 16 2012 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Finally, someone is brave enough to stand up against Big Teen Literature.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#161 Aug 16 2012 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
awaycomesock wrote:
inb4 some lame dismissal of my post b/c "oh noes! you responded to an old thwead!"
Too bad you didn't inb4 mockery of your nuclear rage over a movie for teens.


The rage wasn't over the movie, you barely literate 'tard. It was about the obnoxiously boneheaded stubbornness people were displaying toward gbaji, who had a perfectly logical and legitimate point.


I think this is one of those instances were our pervasive meme has reversed itself. I think he thought this was a rape thread.
#162awaycomesock, Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 2:31 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I am not obsessed with "tweener" lit, you braying self-satisfied ********. I have never read (and do not plan to read) the Potter series, Twilight saga, etc. or whatever other nonsense is out there.
#163 Aug 16 2012 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
Numerous middle and high school teachers are making students read this book as a part of their curricula.
What's this? Teachers are assigning tweener books to tweeners? Boy, you've sure told me how much you don't care about tweener books.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#164 Aug 16 2012 at 2:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
awaycomesock wrote:
I only made an account here for one reason, and my point is made. If you don't get it, that's too bad. I'm done.

And with that he rode off into the sunset. Some say he visited other forums after that and rescued them from their great tween lit peril as well but, well, that's a story for another evening. Good night now, y'all. Stay good.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#165 Aug 16 2012 at 2:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
After all, this is the same generation that thought a re-make of "The Karate Kid" set in China involving Kung-Fu should still be called "The Karate Kid" (b/c lol, who carez?)


Seriously. Kung Fu needs pandas or it just doesn't work.

Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#166 Aug 16 2012 at 2:52 PM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
Jophiel wrote:
awaycomesock wrote:
I only made an account here for one reason, and my point is made. If you don't get it, that's too bad. I'm done.
And with that he rode off into the sunset. Some say he visited other forums after that and rescued them from their great tween lit peril as well but, well, that's a story for another evening. Good night now, y'all. Stay good.
And here's a song representing the "Wild West" era accurately.


Edited, Aug 16th 2012 4:52pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#167 Aug 16 2012 at 2:53 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Quote:
If you guys can't get over your smugness to consider the implications, then that's just too bad and I have nothing more to say to any of you.


lolgaxe wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
awaycomesock wrote:
I only made an account here for one reason, and my point is made. If you don't get it, that's too bad. I'm done.
And with that he rode off into the sunset. Some say he visited other forums after that and rescued them from their great tween lit peril as well but, well, that's a story for another evening. Good night now, y'all. Stay good.
And here's a song representing the "Wild West" era accurately.


Edited, Aug 16th 2012 4:52pm by lolgaxe


Guys, guys, shaddup. I wanna hear what the implications of this are!

Edited, Aug 16th 2012 4:54pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#168 Aug 16 2012 at 2:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,424 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
And here's a song representing the "Wild West" era accurately.


You had the wrong song.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#169 Aug 16 2012 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
No no, that was the Wild Wild West. That was closer to Philadelphia.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#170 Aug 16 2012 at 4:22 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,054 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
If you guys can't get over your smugness to consider the implications, then that's just too bad and I have nothing more to say to any of you. After all, this is the same generation that thought a re-make of "The Karate Kid" set in China involving Kung-Fu should still be called "The Karate Kid" (b/c lol, who carez?) I don't watch B-action films, and never saw the original or the remake. I don't care for them. I do care, however, when it indicates a drastic turn for the worse in our nation's on-going intellectual decline.

What about my idea of remaking Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, respectively?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#171 Aug 16 2012 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
I AM SO ANGRY AT THE MEDIA!!!
#172 Aug 16 2012 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,340 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
[rage]

Some of you have made me rage so hard, I decided to create an account.

How come this thread was the one that made you rage so hard?

There are better, and more salient examples all over this forum of gbaji's 'point' being overlooked, ignored, spun, punned, and ridiculed.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#173 Aug 16 2012 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,600 posts

Plot quality and book quality are too often conflated.

____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#174 Aug 16 2012 at 6:02 PM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
The television just showed me that the only reason this thread was even brought back up was because the **** Blu-Rays are coming out soon so they're playing commercials for it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#175 Aug 16 2012 at 8:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,290 posts
awaycomesock wrote:
I do care, however, when it indicates a drastic turn for the worse in our nation's on-going intellectual decline.

That Elvis character is going to be the death of this country, you mark my words.
#176 Aug 16 2012 at 9:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,905 posts
Way bad choice of username for the record...
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#177 Aug 16 2012 at 11:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,673 posts
Just watched the movie with my wife after reading the book.

I honestly thought Totem was trolling when he made this thread originally. I didn't think it would actually be THAT bad. Maybe I'm biased because I read the book first, which was pretty good, although the story could have been told better by a more experienced author. We both thought the movie was outright terrible... It was like a fan-made adaptation of the book made by a bunch of film school students to be posted on Youtube.

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 5:04am by Kuwoobie
____________________________
my Tumblr
Pixelmon Server Info
FFXI-AH Profile
#178 Aug 17 2012 at 2:36 AM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
And here's a song representing the "Wild West" era accurately.


You had the wrong song.


You had the wrong song.

Edited, Aug 17th 2012 3:36am by Paskil
#179 Aug 17 2012 at 6:47 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
You guys are just being led by the mainstream media outlets. Can't just one of you have an original thought?!
____________________________
Banh
#180 Aug 17 2012 at 6:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,424 posts
Sheeple! I'm surrounded by Sheeple!!!
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#181 Aug 17 2012 at 6:58 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,536 posts
Flock you.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#182 Aug 17 2012 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Way bad choice of username for the record...


At least I wasn't the only one that thought that. Smiley: lol
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#183 Aug 17 2012 at 8:29 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:


Enhanced.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#184 Aug 19 2012 at 9:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Got around to seeing this movie this evening. As I'd guessed, some of you people thought way too hard about it.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#185 Aug 20 2012 at 6:21 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,340 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Flock you.

Ewwwe.

I liked the Hunger Games movie. It was a disturbing subject for me to digest when I read the book. Watching it in movie form was much more entertaining. baa
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#186 Aug 20 2012 at 7:59 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Got around to seeing this movie this evening. As I'd guessed, some of you people thought way too hard about it.


At the risk of treading somewhere in the realm of agreement with gbaji, this is something that I wonder about sometimes. People do the same sort of overanalysis with the Harry Potter books, too. I don't quite get the folks that read only the Hunger Games and Harry Potter, then mine for depth and nuance in them like they're writing a thesis. They're fine enough books, but poring over them is at odds with their nature.

If you're going to do that much thinking about a book, why not do it over one that can sustain that sort of analysis?

Edited, Aug 20th 2012 10:00am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#187 Aug 20 2012 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
If you're going to do that much thinking about a book, why not do it over one that can sustain that sort of analysis?
I imagine it's because those books lacks the depth required for analysis, so it's easier to complain about the lack of depth and feel smart about it?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#188 Aug 20 2012 at 9:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Eske Esquire wrote:
People do the same sort of overanalysis with the Harry Potter books, too. I don't quite get the folks that read only the Hunger Games and Harry Potter, then mine for depth and nuance in them like they're writing a thesis. They're fine enough books, but poring over them is at odds with their nature.

I don't necessarily disagree but I'd rank someone who tries to act smart by tearing down children's literature a bit lower than someone who over-analyzed children's literature. Someone who gets way into Harry Potter, be it analyzing themes in the book or trying to find a connection (beyond bad pseudo-latin) between the spells or chronicling the mythology or even writing fan fic is trying to extend a pleasant experience that ended in its official form. Even if I'm not into Harry Potter, I can "get" that and it's not hurting anything even if I personally find some of the efforts silly. Someone who is trying to tear down popular children's (or tween/teen) literature/film is just exercising self-aggrandizement by going after a ridiculously easy target. It's a lot harder to respect that. I mean, holy shit, really? You managed to find plot holes in Harry Potter or Twilight or The Hunger Games? You must be a genius.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#189 Aug 20 2012 at 9:46 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,340 posts
Jophiel wrote:
....self-aggrandizement by going after a ridiculously easy target.

Totem's specialty. Smiley: smile









Edited, Aug 20th 2012 5:56pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#190 Aug 20 2012 at 10:45 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
People do the same sort of overanalysis with the Harry Potter books, too. I don't quite get the folks that read only the Hunger Games and Harry Potter, then mine for depth and nuance in them like they're writing a thesis. They're fine enough books, but poring over them is at odds with their nature.

I don't necessarily disagree but I'd rank someone who tries to act smart by tearing down children's literature a bit lower than someone who over-analyzed children's literature. Someone who gets way into Harry Potter, be it analyzing themes in the book or trying to find a connection (beyond bad pseudo-latin) between the spells or chronicling the mythology or even writing fan fic is trying to extend a pleasant experience that ended in its official form. Even if I'm not into Harry Potter, I can "get" that and it's not hurting anything even if I personally find some of the efforts silly. Someone who is trying to tear down popular children's (or tween/teen) literature/film is just exercising self-aggrandizement by going after a ridiculously easy target. It's a lot harder to respect that. I mean, holy shit, really? You managed to find plot holes in Harry Potter or Twilight or The Hunger Games? You must be a genius.


Agreed on all points.

I should be honest here: I'm referring in part to my fiancee, who's endlessly impressed by the fact that the house elves in Harry Potter are a metaphor for real-life ethnic prejudices.

Smiley: facepalm

PS: Elves as the target of prejudice, that's a new one!

Edited, Aug 20th 2012 12:51pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#191 Aug 21 2012 at 10:20 PM Rating: Decent
Drama Nerdvana
******
20,672 posts
Jophiel wrote:
We replaced Awaycomesock's regular instant coffee with pure crystal methamphetamine. Let's see if he notices the difference...



/oblig


____________________________
Bode - 100 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#192 Aug 21 2012 at 10:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,905 posts
Grace Chetwin and Susan Cooper wrote way better series than Harry Potter any day for what its worth. That is all.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#193 Aug 22 2012 at 7:18 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,536 posts
On the other hand, Dr. Seuss books were just pages and pages of plot holes and inconsistent characterizations, and that's not even counting the awful butchering of the English language. I have no idea how he even got published with that infantile writing.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
1 2 3 4 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 30 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (30)