Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

The Hunger Games movie sucks bloated goat assFollow

#1 Mar 29 2012 at 9:21 PM Rating: Decent
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Ok, who, here actually thinks this movie was worth more than the bargain $0.99 used DVD bin? After watching this steaming pile of dung I came away with the inescapable conclusion that today's teenagers don't know squat about good movies or plotlines that you can't drive a semi through.

First, the characters are two dimensional at best. Catnip or whatever she calls herself is the healthiest looking starving Appalachian teenager in a future society you could ever imagine. However, beyond a vaunted abilty to "shoot a squirrel through its' eye" her only talent is looking disgruntled. Her mentor, Woody Harrelson isn't much better. As a former Hunger Games winner he offers little help beyond the marginally helpful tip to turn and run at the starting gun of the Games. He gives no clues as to how to win, where to hide, what techniques she should use to slay her opponents, or even what the rules are-- which incidentally, change at a moment's notice.

And this is a major issue: the people running the game arbitrarily change the rules to steer the contestants toward a desired goal, notably out loud to what I would imagine would be the audience's consternation. First it's a single winner only game. Then it changes to a team-can-win format. Then it changes back to a single winner rule.

Next, her fellow District contestant who ostensibly is on her side, but has an opportunity to kill all the kids who have grouped together while they are sleeping, but fails to do so. Several times.

Catnip has a bow but fails to use it's range to subdue her foes. As it turns out, happenstance kills her opponents for her. She was doomed to lose except chance got in the way and offed the other District's kids instead.

She has no sense of tactics. She moves around when she should be hiding, gets treed, makes tone of noise, builds fires, and is largely is asking to get killed. She wears orange stripes, uses no camoflauge, and uses a bright silver bow and arrows.

Finally, in the future everybody looks like Cyndi Lauper. They wear gaudy makeup, weird costumes, and appear to have turned gay en masse.

The movie sucked a$$.

Oh yeah, at the end she threatens to eat poisonous berries and bluffs the gamemasters into making her the victor. Only as the way the game is played it makes no sense why they didn't just let her kill herself-- that was what the president wanted all along, but no, she survives to star in yet another horrible movie.

Did I mention the moviue sucked a$$?

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#2 Mar 29 2012 at 9:39 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,623 posts
Fucking spoiler.


Not that I'd actually watch the movie, unless maybe once it's out on Netflix, or network tv
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#3 Mar 29 2012 at 10:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Repressed Memories
******
20,540 posts
Yeah, but Totem imagine how bad your boyfriend feels taking you to a chic flick you didn't even like. And here he was thinking he'd get some anal.

Edited, Mar 29th 2012 11:03pm by Allegory
#4 Mar 29 2012 at 10:20 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
12,914 posts
Alright, who hacked Allegory's account?
#5 Mar 29 2012 at 10:48 PM Rating: Good
I liked it, and I knew absolutely nothing about it going in, aside from the basic plot which my sister told me the day before we went to see it (she's read the first book). Then again, I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to movies. The most annoying part of the movie, was being in a theater with around 100 teenie-boppers. It makes me feel old to say this, but good lord teenagers are annoying.

If you knew anything about historical fashion (or art for that matter), you'd know that the weird make up, hair and outfits were modeled after 17th century French aristocracy. The main difference is, the colors weren't quite so... garish. I'm assuming the author/director of the movie did that to show a parallel between the excesses of the city folk in this future world, and the excesses of the French aristocracy that led to the French Revolution. Y'know, kinda how the different Districts revolted, which was the entire reason the Hunger Games started in the first place.

Also, I don't recall the main character ever building a fire. In fact, the very first night she sees one of the other girls building a fire and shakes her head, then sees the one group of kids come over and kill her. I do agree that she makes a lot of noise when she walks around in the forest, but I thought the whole idea of climbing up into the trees and tying herself down to sleep was a pretty good idea. It kept her out of harm's way for the most part, since the likelihood of the other kids being able to follow her up in the tree, or to be able to kill her from the ground, were pretty slim.

As far as the poisonous berries were concerned, I thought it was pretty damn obvious why they changed the rules yet AGAIN to stop her and the other dude from killing themselves. There has to be a victor. If they allowed the two of them to kill themselves, there would be no victor.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#6 Mar 29 2012 at 11:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,707 posts
I'm not sure I want to go watch a movie about 4 multicolored hippos with an eating disorder and an unhealthy obsession with with balls in a feature length film anyways. Those board game crossover movies never work out.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#7 Mar 29 2012 at 11:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
19,347 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I'm not sure I want to go watch a movie about 4 multicolored hippos with an eating disorder and an unhealthy obsession with with balls in a feature length film anyways. Those board game crossover movies never work out.


Oh, I thought you were talking about the Sex and the City films.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#8 Mar 29 2012 at 11:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
ITT: Totem goes to a movie based on books for tweens, finds flaws in its plot and bitches about them.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#9 Mar 29 2012 at 11:44 PM Rating: Decent
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
There is no reason the Games couldn't not have a winner-- they changed the rules all the time anyway, so deciding that this particular year no one deserved it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Compared to other "movies of the century"" such as Avatar, Titanic, Aliens, Lord of Rings, pfft, even Beverly Hills Cop were masterpieces compared to this crap. It was a two hour waste of time.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#10 Mar 29 2012 at 11:47 PM Rating: Good
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I'm not sure I want to go watch a movie about 4 multicolored hippos with an eating disorder and an unhealthy obsession with with balls in a feature length film anyways. Those board game crossover movies never work out.


Oh, I thought you were talking about the Sex and the City films.


Aww, that's just mean Digg! I generally like the show, though I've never really followed it since I've never had HBO access. I just watch re-runs here and there when I find them channel surfing. From what I've heard though, the movies sound terrible. Although, generally speaking I find movies where a guy cheats, and then the girl takes him back to be pretty despicable. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is an exception to this, because the movie is so damn funny. Plus the guy was honest about it and came and told the girl about it as soon as he left his ex in disgust.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#11 Mar 29 2012 at 11:49 PM Rating: Good
Totem wrote:
There is no reason the Games couldn't not have a winner-- they changed the rules all the time anyway, so deciding that this particular year no one deserved it wouldn't surprise anyone.


I got the impression, from the way the Games seemed to be a huge part of the culture, that there would have been mass rioting if there hadn't been a winner. I could be wrong though, since I haven't read the book yet.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#12 Mar 29 2012 at 11:51 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Tactically, climbing a tree is akin to holding a gun to your head and pulling the trigger. Rule #1 in SERE is always, always, ALWAYS give yourself at least two avenues of escape and treeing yourself means you are dead if you are caught-- which you would be because she had no camo on and eventually you must use the bathroom or move to keep circulation going. Even in the movie she gets treed and for some unfathomable reason the kids who catch her quit tying to kill her.

The whole premise is dumb.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#13 Mar 30 2012 at 12:15 AM Rating: Good
They did that because they were lazy city kids who didn't know how to climb trees, and despite having the bow, couldn't shoot worth a damn. Yeah, she wasn't wearing camo but she was wearing pretty neutral colors. Olive green and dark blue from what I remember. She also climbed pretty high up in the trees. If people didn't know she was up there, they wouldn't have thought to look for her there. Your point about the bathroom and circulation do make sense though.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#14 Mar 30 2012 at 3:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
Meh, I thought it was okay. Plot had holes, but she's cute. I also didn't pay to see it and had no expectations for it as I hadn't read the book and didn't expect it to be any good in the first place. They said directly in the movie (because they had no illusions of their target audience figuring it out themselves) that the games were meant to give the people just enough hope with their healthy dose of fear to keep them in line. If there was no victor it was straight fear and the people would spit it back in the Man's face. Granted they did almost nothing to show this or show how sh*tty life was for them but, meh. There was blood and she was cute, 5/10.

Edited, Mar 30th 2012 5:17am by SillyXSara
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a dildo is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden penis
#15 Mar 30 2012 at 6:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,703 posts
I await Totems review of Twilight.
____________________________
What if the bird will not sing?
Nobunaga answers, "Kill it!"
Hideyoshi answers, "Make it want to sing."
Ieyasu answers, "Wait."
Timelordwho answers "Just as Planned."
#16 Mar 30 2012 at 6:59 AM Rating: Excellent
******
41,289 posts
PigtailsOfDoom wrote:
She also climbed pretty high up in the trees. If people didn't know she was up there, they wouldn't have thought to look for her there.
I know when people are trying to kill me I don't look at possible hiding places.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#17 Mar 30 2012 at 7:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Timelordwho wrote:
I await Totems review of Twilight.

He doubted the werewolf's motivations and thought it sat in a tree all wrong which ruined the movie for him.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#18 Mar 30 2012 at 7:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
He doesn't need to grasp for reasons to hate that series.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#19 Mar 30 2012 at 7:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,245 posts
I just read the book. Haven't seen the movie, but most of the things you're complaining about are explained fairly well in the book (from the sounds of it they're at least hinted at in the movie). The games are a control mechanism, no victor, no control. The gamemakers would have been executed for letting both of them die.

Katniss is weaker and smaller than almost all of the other players, direct confrontation is not an option. If she's found at all while sleeping she's dead so climbing trees to sleep is a phenomenal idea in her case. This isn't the military, she's on her own and has to sleep at some point (whole thing takes weeks.)


I enjoyed the book. It's DEFINITELY a teenie bopper story, short, simple language, no room for nuance, 1:1 plot relationships, but still fairly entertaining. Ending was weak but I'll finish the trilogy over the next week or so and see how it goes.
#20 Mar 30 2012 at 7:56 AM Rating: Decent
Guru
**
715 posts
I thought it was a reasonable adaptation of the book. That said, I didn't walk away thinking it was amazing but I wasn't disappointed in it.

Jophiel wrote:
ITT: Totem goes to a movie based on books for tweens, finds flaws in its plot and bitches about them.


No it isn't! It is for gay men and 20-something girls. At least, that is the impression I got from waiting in line. Smiley: lol
#21 Mar 30 2012 at 8:53 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,002 posts
Don't worry Totem; Christopher Nolan is releasing a movie soon.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#22 Mar 30 2012 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,707 posts
Coming soon: Two epic board game adaptations by Quinten Tarintino. First up, Chutes and Ladders, staring Samual L Jackson. "I'm tired of these mother@#%^ing chutes on my mother@#%^ing ladders!" Those Chute installers are going down. All the way down.

Next up, Candyland. The childrens game staple is reimagined as a drug fueld dystopia, and ony one women can stop it: Uma Thurman, because he's got a thing for her even though the rest of us really can't stand her on account of her nose or something. Basically, everyone dies. See it in theaters or we'll kill puppies by the boatload.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#23 Mar 30 2012 at 10:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I found numerous flaws in that there Percy Jackson movie and it filled me with anger at how they could have gotten it all wrong. It's as though they've never studied ancient Greco-Roman mythology at the doctorate level at all. How could 11 year olds read that crap, much less watch it on screen?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#24 Mar 30 2012 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
Hey, I like Uma Thurman. Smiley: bah

I felt the same way when I saw the Hercules Disney movie Joph! I mean seriously, Hera was Hercules' Mom and she wasn't a stark raving lunatic hell bent on getting revenge on Zeus? WTF. Kids could totally handle that.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#25 Mar 30 2012 at 2:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
PigtailsOfDoom wrote:
Hey, I like Uma Thurman. Smiley: bah

I felt the same way when I saw the Hercules Disney movie Joph! I mean seriously, Hera was Hercules' Mom and she wasn't a stark raving lunatic hell bent on getting revenge on Zeus? WTF. Kids could totally handle that.

I know! Not to mention not a single god turned into an animal to rape a human. SO inaccurate.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a dildo is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden penis
#26 Mar 30 2012 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Coming soon: Two epic board game adaptations by Quinten Tarintino. First up, Chutes and Ladders, staring Samual L Jackson. "I'm tired of these mother@#%^ing chutes on my mother@#%^ing ladders!" Those Chute installers are going down. All the way down.

Next up, Candyland. The childrens game staple is reimagined as a drug fueld dystopia, and ony one women can stop it: Uma Thurman, because he's got a thing for her even though the rest of us really can't stand her on account of her nose or something. Basically, everyone dies. See it in theaters or we'll kill puppies by the boatload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6WCZ3cZ27U
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#27 Mar 30 2012 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
You'll note that I don't have a problem for crap movies in the general sense, after all, there is an entire demographic of people who not only bought tickets to Saw I, but then giddily went and bought tickets to Saw II, III, IV, all the way up to Saw XLVIII Jigsaw Dismembers Godzill and Rambo. There is an industry built on people who cheerfully light their money on fire repeatedly.

However, silly non-literary teenagers aside, otherwise respectable critics were raving about this movie as well, which is what suckered me into seeing this film. As a rule, unless someone I know who has like movie tastes like mine encourages me to see a film, I'll ignore what fans say about a flick (s'up, Fandango reviews?) and check out, say, Ebert and Roper for instance. However, Hunger Games madness overtook even those critics whose advice I would normally take.

But this movie was billed as a contender to such films as the ones I mentioned earlier, like Avatar, Godfather, etc, etc. And in no way does this film even come close to the quality of a movie, except for perhaps, American Pie II or Meatballs, the Original. Just sayin'.

As for these tenagers not being skilled in woodsman-like arts, there was the District Whatever guy who was slicing and dicing with a sword like he was a ninja. Is it too much to expect that the traoiner of that young mnan would teach him skills whenin he hunted other humans? If these young people are being groomed for combat, then it would be reasonable to expect that they would be taught to get to the point where poking people with sharp objects came in handy-- such as woodcraft.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#28 Mar 30 2012 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
As for my Twilight review, I say wait unti it comes out on Lifetime. It'll be the back-to-back for Pretty Woman on Christmas Day.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#29 Mar 30 2012 at 9:24 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Totem wrote:
like Avatar, Godfather, etc, etc.


You keep putting these together, and I'm not sure why.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#30 Mar 30 2012 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
******
41,289 posts
I think $10 is a small price to pay to find out you're easily manipulated.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#31 Mar 30 2012 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
You really put Avatar up there with Godfather?
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a dildo is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden penis
#32 Mar 30 2012 at 10:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,245 posts
Totem wrote:
Ok, who, here actually thinks this movie was worth more than the bargain $0.99 used DVD bin? After watching this steaming pile of dung I came away with the inescapable conclusion that today's teenagers don't know squat about good movies or plotlines that you can't drive a semi through.

First, the characters are two dimensional at best. Catnip or whatever she calls herself is the healthiest looking starving Appalachian teenager in a future society you could ever imagine. However, beyond a vaunted abilty to "shoot a squirrel through its' eye" her only talent is looking disgruntled. Her mentor, Woody Harrelson isn't much better. As a former Hunger Games winner he offers little help beyond the marginally helpful tip to turn and run at the starting gun of the Games. He gives no clues as to how to win, where to hide, what techniques she should use to slay her opponents, or even what the rules are-- which incidentally, change at a moment's notice.

And this is a major issue: the people running the game arbitrarily change the rules to steer the contestants toward a desired goal, notably out loud to what I would imagine would be the audience's consternation. First it's a single winner only game. Then it changes to a team-can-win format. Then it changes back to a single winner rule.

Next, her fellow District contestant who ostensibly is on her side, but has an opportunity to kill all the kids who have grouped together while they are sleeping, but fails to do so. Several times.

Catnip has a bow but fails to use it's range to subdue her foes. As it turns out, happenstance kills her opponents for her. She was doomed to lose except chance got in the way and offed the other District's kids instead.

She has no sense of tactics. She moves around when she should be hiding, gets treed, makes tone of noise, builds fires, and is largely is asking to get killed. She wears orange stripes, uses no camoflauge, and uses a bright silver bow and arrows.

Finally, in the future everybody looks like Cyndi Lauper. They wear gaudy makeup, weird costumes, and appear to have turned gay en masse.

The movie sucked a$$.

Oh yeah, at the end she threatens to eat poisonous berries and bluffs the gamemasters into making her the victor. Only as the way the game is played it makes no sense why they didn't just let her kill herself-- that was what the president wanted all along, but no, she survives to star in yet another horrible movie.

Did I mention the moviue sucked a$$?

Totem


Ok, so I just came back from the theatre....this...soo soo much this..oh-my-god..
#33 Mar 31 2012 at 12:44 AM Rating: Decent
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
I would equate The Godfather and Avatar, not necessarily for commonality, but for what each did to push the boundaries of what filming can do. Godfather showed a storyline and Avatar showed the power of computerized cinematography.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#34 Mar 31 2012 at 2:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
Totem wrote:
I would equate The Godfather and Avatar, not necessarily for commonality, but for what each did to push the boundaries of what filming can do. Godfather showed a storyline and Avatar showed the power of computerized cinematography.

Totem

Avatar was a gimmick and The Godfather is one of the greats.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a dildo is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden penis
#35 Mar 31 2012 at 6:15 AM Rating: Excellent
You disliked an anti-big government flick that also vilifies "hollywood" culture AND the media?

You're coming over to the dark side now!
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#36 Mar 31 2012 at 11:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Also he loves the one where a guy turns against the military to save a foreign culture and the environment from big business!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#37 Mar 31 2012 at 1:54 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,025 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Also he loves the one where a guy turns against the military to save a foreign culture and the environment from big business!


I thought Varus made that rant.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#38 Mar 31 2012 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Harumph. I re fuse to be pigeonholed. And cornholed by the rest of you.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#39 Mar 31 2012 at 6:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Repressed Memories
******
20,540 posts
Totem wrote:
Avatar showed the power of computerized cinematography.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within did that. Avatar was just some movie 8 years later that marketing convinced people to watch.
#40 Mar 31 2012 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
Yeah, Avatar was a gorgeous movie, but beyond that it wasn't anything special. And this is coming from someone who has never seen Dances with Wolves. =x I have seen Pocahontas however, so my opinion might still be a bit skewed because of that.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#41 Apr 01 2012 at 7:02 AM Rating: Default
I created an account just to reply to you. I feel you HAVE to know.I assure you beyond a doubt- every single error you listed throughout your posting was caused by the irreparably stupid (lack of a better word) @sses, who ruined a coulda-shoulda-been-a-great-movie. The true flaw was trying to shove such a great length of time into a short film adaption. The first book could have been split into two parts....Please read the book. It truly is fantastic. The pile of garbage you speak of actually inspired me to read it, however if I hadn't, I'd have been under the false assumption the book was as ridiculously terrible. It is not. They butchered what could have been a sensation- Oscar worthy. The orange backpack? She was supposed to camouflage. The Willy nilly rule changing? The audience couldn't understand the reasoning behind it because it wasn't narrated- which this type of movie/book needs and demands. They even created extra scenes that didn't exist! What the hell? The book is so extremely equipped, there was no need. The thing that truly ruined it was its rating. If it were higher, and not aimed at its chosen demographic of tweens, it would have been better. So, in the end, the result was a bunch of kids running around in the woods playing swords. The emotion. The laughter. Anger. Hope. Was all lost in translation. I actually almost cried in the book when rue died, only because, she actually had a developed relationship with katniss. Would the audience have known that? No. Because, they gave her five lines and made it seem like their time together was so short...which it really wasn't. If you want to read a fantastic book, or at least remove the taste of $hit from your mouth- read the book. Please!
#42 Apr 01 2012 at 7:08 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
No, thanks.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#43 Apr 01 2012 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
OhhhhNoYouDidnt wrote:
I created an account just to reply to you. I feel you HAVE to know.I assure you beyond a doubt- every single error you listed throughout your posting was caused by the irreparably stupid (lack of a better word) @sses, who ruined a coulda-shoulda-been-a-great-movie. The true flaw was trying to shove such a great length of time into a short film adaption. The first book could have been split into two parts....Please read the book. It truly is fantastic. The pile of garbage you speak of actually inspired me to read it, however if I hadn't, I'd have been under the false assumption the book was as ridiculously terrible. It is not. They butchered what could have been a sensation- Oscar worthy. The orange backpack? She was supposed to camouflage. The Willy nilly rule changing? The audience couldn't understand the reasoning behind it because it wasn't narrated- which this type of movie/book needs and demands. They even created extra scenes that didn't exist! What the hell? The book is so extremely equipped, there was no need. The thing that truly ruined it was its rating. If it were higher, and not aimed at its chosen demographic of tweens, it would have been better. So, in the end, the result was a bunch of kids running around in the woods playing swords. The emotion. The laughter. Anger. Hope. Was all lost in translation. I actually almost cried in the book when rue died, only because, she actually had a developed relationship with katniss. Would the audience have known that? No. Because, they gave her five lines and made it seem like their time together was so short...which it really wasn't. If you want to read a fantastic book, or at least remove the taste of $hit from your mouth- read the book. Please!


You poor thing. The world is a big bad scary place, and Hollywood is one of the biggest monsters, always creating a more broadly palatable story than your beloved fantasy book allows. Obviously, your first experience with the phenomena was one of the first pieces of literature your enjoyed despite people telling you not to. Obviously you should have listened to the naysayers and saved yourself the heartache.
#44 Apr 01 2012 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,908 posts
OhhhhNoYouDidnt wrote:
The thing that truly ruined it was its rating. If it were higher, and not aimed at its chosen demographic of tweens, it would have been better.


You know the book's aimed at tweens too, right?
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#45 Apr 01 2012 at 1:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Was there any of this "adults consuming young adults literature en masse" thing going on before Harry Potter? I suppose if you back far enough you had The Hobbit and the Narnia series but I can't think of anything from the 80s or early-mid 90's until Harry Potter. Now it's been Harry Potter into Twilight into Hunger Games. That's only three series but each one has pushed out enough books to form a constant stream of grown-ups reading books nominally written for 10-14 year olds.

Edit: I'm not even saying that it's a terrible thing. Beats a lot of other stuff I guess. It just seems like a new thing.

Edited, Apr 1st 2012 2:19pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#46 Apr 01 2012 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,886 posts
There's always been really decent YA series around. They basically have everything except explicit sex. But I guess most adults hadn't discovered them, apart from the ones who read all through their teens. The Dark is Rising series. The Alanah series. The Chrestomanci series. All those amazing books by Alan Garner.

I think there's a problem turning these books into movies, because I have a feeling that books can be dark and violent and young audiences can cope with that more than they can cope with the same thing displayed point blank in visual media like a movie. There's a bit more distancing possible in a book. You can stop reading easier than it is to stop watching. You can stop imaging written words easier than it is to stop taking in images from a movie. Basically a g rated book would make a pg 13+ or 15+ movie, and a pg 13+ or 15+ book would make an 18+ movie.

For instance I read the Narnia series when I was very young. I adored them. But I remember myself at that age, and there's no way I'd cope with the movies at the same age as I read the book. especially the second movie, Prince Caspian. I'd have been scared out of my wits and tried to hide under the cinema seat with my hands over my ears.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#47 Apr 01 2012 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Aripyanfar wrote:
There's always been really decent YA series around. They basically have everything except explicit sex. But I guess most adults hadn't discovered them, apart from the ones who read all through their teens

Well, that's just it. I have no idea if the series you mentioned are great or not but none of them because huge best selling phenomenon where it was common enough to have adults reading them on the train, in restaurants or whatever.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Apr 01 2012 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
13,908 posts
I guess Northern Lights was pretty popular among adults mid nineties, but it was never a thing in the same way Harry Potter or Twilight was. The kind of momentum those fanbases have is mostly a product of the internet, I think.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#49 Apr 01 2012 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
Allegory wrote:
Totem wrote:
Avatar showed the power of computerized cinematography.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within did that. Avatar was just some movie 8 years later that marketing convinced people to watch.
You can't say that FF did that when no one saw it.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#50 Apr 01 2012 at 6:56 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,623 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
There's always been really decent YA series around. They basically have everything except explicit sex. But I guess most adults hadn't discovered them, apart from the ones who read all through their teens. The Dark is Rising series. The Alanah series. The Chrestomanci series. All those amazing books by Alan Garner.

I think there's a problem turning these books into movies, because I have a feeling that books can be dark and violent and young audiences can cope with that more than they can cope with the same thing displayed point blank in visual media like a movie. There's a bit more distancing possible in a book. You can stop reading easier than it is to stop watching. You can stop imaging written words easier than it is to stop taking in images from a movie. Basically a g rated book would make a pg 13+ or 15+ movie, and a pg 13+ or 15+ book would make an 18+ movie.

For instance I read the Narnia series when I was very young. I adored them. But I remember myself at that age, and there's no way I'd cope with the movies at the same age as I read the book. especially the second movie, Prince Caspian. I'd have been scared out of my wits and tried to hide under the cinema seat with my hands over my ears.

I read The Hobbit when I was...nine? And Narnia around the same time. As for Alanna (Song of the Lioness cycle), that was during my early teenage years and it made such an impression that I named my firstborn Thom. Unfortunately he didn't have a female twin, or else we definitely would have gone that route.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#51 Apr 01 2012 at 6:58 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,623 posts
Oh, and my brother-in-law handed me some discs with writing scrawled on them, so I may get a chance to evaluate the movie without contributing to the Hollywood Machine.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 49 All times are in CDT
FatesUnbroken, JennockFV, lolgaxe, Nadenu, Spoonless, Anonymous Guests (44)