Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

"All My Life's a Circle"..It's Friday AGAIN!Follow

#27 Mar 26 2012 at 7:35 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,907 posts
Belkira wrote:
Saw a late showing of The Hunger Games tonight. Not too shabby.
If I wanted to see children destroy each other to make adults happy I'd watch Toddlers & Tiaras.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#28 Mar 26 2012 at 8:22 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I think I overdid the yardwork thing. I went over and weeded most of my parents house too on sunday after putting in a full day saturday. Now i think my back is going to fall out or something horrible to contemplate.

I overdid it yesterday, too. Cut up part of the tree that I felled over the winter into roughly two-foot sections, then split those in half and stacked to dry. Did maybe half a cord that way, but nearing the bottom of the tree, those two-foot sections weighed about eighty pounds apiece. My back is moderately fucked today.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#29 Mar 26 2012 at 4:12 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Elinda wrote:

Once most all components were dusted off and dusted out, moved and reconnected I turned everything on. Turns out the internet connection in this room was never hooked up. So I had no internet. I attempt to tap into the wifi, but have no wifi card in my computer. I had to go buy a card - at Best Buy - GOD they're expensive!


You know they make these things called network cables. They're relatively cheap and cable-like and can even be run through walls and such!

Yes. That's my contribution to home networking. Drill a hole in the wall (or two!).
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Mar 26 2012 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Not everyone is comfortable with running CAT5 through conduits, dude. Or are you suggesting just punching holes in walls and floors like some ghetto renovator?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#31 Mar 26 2012 at 9:26 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Debalic wrote:
Not everyone is comfortable with running CAT5 through conduits, dude. Or are you suggesting just punching holes in walls and floors like some ghetto renovator?


Depending on your definition of "punching", yes. Obviously, it depends on the relative position of the room to others with the needed cabling and/or access via basement/attic, but there are some pretty cheap and easy methods to run cable through a house. And there are some generic cabling wall plates that are specifically designed to allow you to do this without it looking like you just punched a hole in a wall.

You also don't need to do the bare wire bundles in conduit route either. I suppose if you want a totally professional look, you can do that (and get plates with RJ-45 sockets as well, patch panels, etc), but you can just route regular old network cables if you want. What do you think people do with TV cables? It's just wire run through the wall/ceiling/floor and pushed out through a plate over a hole in the wall. There's nothing magical about it and it's not even that hard (in most home layouts).
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#32 Mar 26 2012 at 9:49 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Holy crap dude, do you *always* have to be this ****?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#33 Mar 27 2012 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,939 posts
Cat5 doesn't need to be ran through conduits. It's low voltage, it doesn't even need a proper box to put the connection in. They sell very easy to use low voltage cutouts. Just cut a square through your wall board (sheet rock, plaster, paneling what ever) and insert the device, it has two swinging clamps that swing behind your wall board and fasten it to the wall. Then the Cat5 recep snaps into the coverplate, which screws into place on the cutout. Looks the same as a single gang recep in the end, without having to fasten anything behind the wall. Obviously not legal to use for your power outlets, but for things like Data and Video/Audio they are perfectly legal, and very easy to use.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#34 Mar 27 2012 at 10:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I just drilled a hole through the wall and ran it through because I'm ghetto. At least the desk the modem/router is on is opposite of the other computer/Wii on the other side of the wall so it's not visible from either end. And everything has happy wired connections, only the wife's netbook, my kid's Xbox360 and my tablet are free roaming off the wifi. Well, and the smart phones, I guess.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#35 Mar 27 2012 at 11:29 AM Rating: Excellent
I've never had a problem routing cable through my house, and it's nice to have hard lines to desktops. Even the best wireless can flake out on you now and again, and I don't want to deal with that.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#36 Mar 27 2012 at 11:40 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
gbaji wrote:
Elinda wrote:

Once most all components were dusted off and dusted out, moved and reconnected I turned everything on. Turns out the internet connection in this room was never hooked up. So I had no internet. I attempt to tap into the wifi, but have no wifi card in my computer. I had to go buy a card - at Best Buy - GOD they're expensive!


You know they make these things called network cables. They're relatively cheap and cable-like and can even be run through walls and such!

Yes. That's my contribution to home networking. Drill a hole in the wall (or two!).
I have this cable that is like 40ft long. We use it when the kids are visiting so they can hook up. I means a blue cord running along the floor of my whole house. Still that cord would only reach me as far as my sons room. I unhooked his computer and plugged mine in (this was initially a test to see if the data-jack in the room I was in was live or not). He came home and decided this wasn't' even a good temporary solution to my problem.

At any rate, when my husband gets home he can go down and hook the data-jack into the system. I can then return the wireless card if I'd like. I think though, that I like the wireless. Our cable goes through the Vonage box. Sometime this slows things down. Sometimes it actually holds things up. The wireless doesn't have this problem and so far has worked swimmingly.

The chair is a much bigger issue than the internet ever was.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#37 Mar 27 2012 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Elinda wrote:
The chair is a much bigger issue than the internet ever was.


I abhor most computer chairs. I'm a larger person, 6'4" and somewhere north of 300 lbs, and it is **** near impossible to find a computer chair that will support me, be comfortable, and fit under my desk. All of the chairs that are strong enough tend to be uncomfortable, while the ones that are comfortable are so flimsy I'm afraid they'll collapse under me the first time I sit down.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#38 Mar 27 2012 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
The chair is a much bigger issue than the internet ever was.


I abhor most computer chairs. I'm a larger person, 6'4" and somewhere north of 300 lbs, and it is **** near impossible to find a computer chair that will support me, be comfortable, and fit under my desk. All of the chairs that are strong enough tend to be uncomfortable, while the ones that are comfortable are so flimsy I'm afraid they'll collapse under me the first time I sit down.
Kao is like 9feet tall. Bet he has some good suggestions on computer chairs.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#39 Mar 27 2012 at 1:55 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Debalic wrote:
Holy crap dude, do you *always* have to be this ****?


Yes. Yes, I do! Smiley: nod

Jophiel wrote:
I just drilled a hole through the wall and ran it through because I'm ghetto.


Same thing I did in my house. You can do the fancy-shmancy stuff Tirith spoke of as well. Like I said earlier, there's a whole variety of plates you can use, but since we're not talking about power lines, you don't need a whole box-n-conduit setup. Wall plates are purely for looks in this case. A friend of mine recently did a couple rooms in his house (he's got a convenient attic, so it's really easy). He used these plates that have a decent sized square hole with brush-like stuff on top and bottom. They're designed for a whole set of cables and he used them all over the place. In one instance, he used two of them on the same wall just for routing the AV cables from the wall mounted flat screen tv down the wall to the cabinet under the tv with the cable box, Blu-ray, etc. That way, there's no ugly cables visible.


At the end of the day though, you are just punching holes in walls and running end use cable through them. Nothing wrong or "ghetto" about that IMO.

Edited, Mar 27th 2012 12:55pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#40 Mar 27 2012 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
4,042 posts
gbaji wrote:
Debalic wrote:
Holy crap dude, do you *always* have to be this ****?


Yes. Yes, I do! Smiley: nod


***.
#41 Mar 27 2012 at 2:01 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,471 posts
It's fun to read gbaji's last two sentences as a metaphor for rape.
#42 Mar 27 2012 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
******
49,907 posts
Regardless of height or weight, I suggest a computer chair that has a massage feature. They're a little pricier but if you spend any kind of time in them then the cost is well worth it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#43 Mar 27 2012 at 4:02 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,826 posts
Did this thread title get changed, because I could have sworn it was originally " All My Life's a Circle Jerk".

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part...
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#44 Mar 27 2012 at 6:00 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Cat5 doesn't need to be ran through conduits. It's low voltage, it doesn't even need a proper box to put the connection in. They sell very easy to use low voltage cutouts. Just cut a square through your wall board (sheet rock, plaster, paneling what ever) and insert the device, it has two swinging clamps that swing behind your wall board and fasten it to the wall. Then the Cat5 recep snaps into the coverplate, which screws into place on the cutout. Looks the same as a single gang recep in the end, without having to fasten anything behind the wall. Obviously not legal to use for your power outlets, but for things like Data and Video/Audio they are perfectly legal, and very easy to use.

I guess I'm just used to doing wiring at my old job. We wired a few brand-new restaurants, with all-new wiring and such, and used conduits for all the cabling. Don't get me wrong; I've drilled my fair share of holes in the floors of my parents' house (10base2 with BNC needs big holes) and strung cabling across the basement ceiling...but it wasn't exactly received favorably.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#45 Mar 27 2012 at 7:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
The chair is a much bigger issue than the internet ever was.


I abhor most computer chairs. I'm a larger person, 6'4" and somewhere north of 300 lbs, and it is **** near impossible to find a computer chair that will support me, be comfortable, and fit under my desk. All of the chairs that are strong enough tend to be uncomfortable, while the ones that are comfortable are so flimsy I'm afraid they'll collapse under me the first time I sit down.
Kao is like 9feet tall. Bet he has some good suggestions on computer chairs.


I ended up getting an Aeron chair for home 5 years ago. best investment I ever made. 12 year full parts coverage warranty, comfortable, sturdy, etc. http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html They are spendy little bastards though. I purchased mine via http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/ who were quite easy to work with, shipped quickly, and have good coupon specials. I definitly don't mind reccommending them at all.

At other work, I have a monsterous maroon purple chair of doom thats built like a tank. I have no idea who made that one though.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#46 Mar 27 2012 at 11:32 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
At other work, I have a monsterous maroon purple chair of doom thats built like a tank. I have no idea who made that one though.
You make it sound like the chair of an evil genius. Does it have armrests wide enough to have a cat lay on them?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#47 Mar 28 2012 at 12:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
At other work, I have a monsterous maroon purple chair of doom thats built like a tank. I have no idea who made that one though.
You make it sound like the chair of an evil genius. Does it have armrests wide enough to have a cat lay on them?


At least one cat, maybe two skinny cats. The thing is seriously overkill, even for me. It's like a small couch with wheels. I have to be careful when I back it away from the desk when I stand up so it doesn't go through the adjacent wall on its own inertia.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#48 Mar 28 2012 at 7:16 AM Rating: Good
******
49,907 posts
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#49 Mar 28 2012 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Elinda wrote:
The chair is a much bigger issue than the internet ever was.


I abhor most computer chairs. I'm a larger person, 6'4" and somewhere north of 300 lbs, and it is **** near impossible to find a computer chair that will support me, be comfortable, and fit under my desk. All of the chairs that are strong enough tend to be uncomfortable, while the ones that are comfortable are so flimsy I'm afraid they'll collapse under me the first time I sit down.
Kao is like 9feet tall. Bet he has some good suggestions on computer chairs.


I ended up getting an Aeron chair for home 5 years ago. best investment I ever made. 12 year full parts coverage warranty, comfortable, sturdy, etc. http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html They are spendy little bastards though. I purchased mine via http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/ who were quite easy to work with, shipped quickly, and have good coupon specials. I definitly don't mind reccommending them at all.

At other work, I have a monsterous maroon purple chair of doom thats built like a tank. I have no idea who made that one though.


My company would like you to know that you owe them a new computer monitor, because when I saw the price of one of those chairs I spit my gum at it and now it's stuck there.

Edit: The sad part is, I would actually consider spending the $900 on one of those chairs if I knew it would be comfortable for me AND I had the $900 to spare.

Edited, Mar 28th 2012 9:23am by Bigdaddyjug
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#50 Mar 28 2012 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
At other work, I have a monsterous maroon purple chair of doom thats built like a tank. I have no idea who made that one though.
You make it sound like the chair of an evil genius. Does it have armrests wide enough to have a cat lay on them?


At least one cat, maybe two skinny cats. The thing is seriously overkill, even for me. It's like a small couch with wheels. I have to be careful when I back it away from the desk when I stand up so it doesn't go through the adjacent wall on its own inertia.
I want that chair. I'll sit in it and pet my cat while pondering my plans for world domination. It's perfect!



(Also, I require pics of said chair)
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#51 Mar 28 2012 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
At other work, I have a monsterous maroon purple chair of doom thats built like a tank. I have no idea who made that one though.
You make it sound like the chair of an evil genius. Does it have armrests wide enough to have a cat lay on them?


At least one cat, maybe two skinny cats. The thing is seriously overkill, even for me. It's like a small couch with wheels. I have to be careful when I back it away from the desk when I stand up so it doesn't go through the adjacent wall on its own inertia.
I want that chair. I'll sit in it and pet my cat while pondering my plans for world domination. It's perfect!



(Also, I require pics of said chair)


Will you also end every episode day by letting Gadget know you'll get him next time. Next time!
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 57 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (57)