Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

In my foreign land, murder is OKFollow

#652 Apr 11 2012 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,695 posts
gbaji wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Quote:
We should hope so. Hard to deny that there's a **** of a lot of pressure to file some sort of charges though. I just hope she did not bow to that pressure in this case.


That's cute. You were wrong about the chances of him getting charged, so of course it has to be because of public pressure.


I have always held open the possibility that there is either evidence we are not aware of which would make a valid case for charging him *or* that public pressure might cause charges to be filed anyway. Honestly, the vote is still out on which just happened. My position is going to be the same one it's been all along though: Let's wait until the facts come out and let the legal process work its way through. My issue has always been with what I saw as a rush to judgment based on public outcry and emotion. I was not wrong about that.


You can say that all you want, but you are just as guilty of assumptions as anyone else in the thread. Our demands have been for a trial.

The public outcry isn't what caused the trial. It is, however, what gave Martin the opportunity for justice. There's a very good chance this case would have been swept under the rug without all the attention. Doesn't mean they are pressing charges because of it.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#653 Apr 12 2012 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,642 posts
Here is the Yahoo article where they announced Zimmerman's arrest and the charge they're going after. I'm sure everyone has already read it, but I wanted to point out two quotes that made me Smiley: facepalm :

Zimmerman's new attorney wrote:
"He is troubled by everything that has happened," O'Mara said. "Truly, it must be frightening to not be able to go into a 7-Eleven or a store. It would trouble any of us."


... Seriously???

And the other side:

The Martin family's attorney wrote:
"It's about justice, justice, justice," Ben Crump, the Martin family's attorney, said. "If we just stand our ground, we can make a difference."


Come on, people....

Edited, Apr 12th 2012 1:44am by Belkira
#654 Apr 12 2012 at 5:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Lunatic
******
29,263 posts

have always held open the possibility that there is either evidence we are not aware of which would make a valid case for charging him *or* that public pressure might cause charges to be filed anyway. Honestly, the vote is still out on which just happened.


Much, much, much, more likely neither. To require one of these would also require the made for TV movie version of criminal law you seem to think exists to be in force. Fortunately for everyone, it isn't.

Dateline: 2012 - San Diego man still things watching episodes of Law and Order sufficient to make him a District Attorney. shockingly, still not the case.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#655 Apr 12 2012 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Will swallow your soul
******
28,191 posts
Catwho wrote:
What I suspect is that the Sanford police simply took him at his word of "self defense" without digging too thoroughly into it because, hey, he seemed like a nice guy who wouldn't shoot a kid unless he had probable cause to suspect him of being dangerous.


With respect, in my opinion this is exactly wrong. The police knew him better than his own father did, is my guess. He certainly talked to them more, by all accounts. Scores of 911 calls, trying to cozy up to them at every opportunity? Cops are not (necessarily) stupid. They knew he was going to kill someone some day, in all likelihood. He sees himself as Dirty Harry. Tragically, he's more of a Travis Bickle.

What does that say about the police in Sanford, Florida? Depends on whether they really were continuing the investigation. I don't know the answer. I suspect they knew they needed to get Zimmerman off the street before he killed someone who mattered, though.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#656 Apr 12 2012 at 7:16 AM Rating: Good
***
1,087 posts
Quote:
Tragically, he's more of a Travis Bickle.
Hmmmmm, this made me try to remember if old Travis actually killed anyone who wasn't a total scumbag ?
.... might hafta watch Taxi Driver again next time its on. Having raised a daughter, he's kind of a secret hero of mine-- even being fully aware that it was a creative plot twist that turned him from lone-nut assassin to "Rescuer"

Quote:
Martins mother thinks Trayvon shooting an "accident"
- msnbc This is the best news Ive heard during this whole tragedy, if she can express a little forgiveness like this maybe there is hope for race relations to not be thrown backwards a decade or two.
____________________________
[99WAR,99BLM,99DRK,99BST,99PLD,99MNK,99SMN75RDM49THF45NIN/WHM/DNC
/SAM,,~] Galka

BASTOK:10 SKY: O SEA: O DYNAMIS: O
SIREN srvr
YARP !!!
#657 Apr 12 2012 at 7:45 AM Rating: Good
******
43,477 posts
gbaji wrote:
My position is going to be the same one it's been all along though: Let's wait until the facts come out and let the legal process work its way through.
Well, I guess riding my coat tails is about as close to right you'll ever get on any topic.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#658 Apr 12 2012 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
**** smash, your typo threw me for a loop for far too long. I need a nap.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#659 Apr 12 2012 at 2:22 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
10,776 posts
Samira wrote:
Catwho wrote:
What I suspect is that the Sanford police simply took him at his word of "self defense" without digging too thoroughly into it because, hey, he seemed like a nice guy who wouldn't shoot a kid unless he had probable cause to suspect him of being dangerous.


With respect, in my opinion this is exactly wrong. The police knew him better than his own father did, is my guess. He certainly talked to them more, by all accounts. Scores of 911 calls, trying to cozy up to them at every opportunity? Cops are not (necessarily) stupid. They knew he was going to kill someone some day, in all likelihood. He sees himself as Dirty Harry. Tragically, he's more of a Travis Bickle.

What does that say about the police in Sanford, Florida? Depends on whether they really were continuing the investigation. I don't know the answer. I suspect they knew they needed to get Zimmerman off the street before he killed someone who mattered, though.


Gbaji was repeatedly saying that the police had enough evidence to decide not to arrest Zimmerman. I've questioned the thoroughness of that investigation. Zimmerman shot Martin on February 26 at around 7:15. He was taken into custody at the scene and was released just hours later. I cannot understand how the police were able to make any determination after just a few hours. The lead investigator did a request for an arrest warrant but it was rejected by the state attorney's office because someone thought there wasn't enough evidence to convict. There wasn't enough evidence found at that time because I believe there wasn't a thorough investigation.
#660 Apr 12 2012 at 6:03 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,493 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
gbaji wrote:

I have always held open the possibility that there is either evidence we are not aware of which would make a valid case for charging him *or* that public pressure might cause charges to be filed anyway. Honestly, the vote is still out on which just happened. My position is going to be the same one it's been all along though: Let's wait until the facts come out and let the legal process work its way through. My issue has always been with what I saw as a rush to judgment based on public outcry and emotion. I was not wrong about that.


You can say that all you want, but you are just as guilty of assumptions as anyone else in the thread.


I disagree. But you're entitled to your opinion, I suppose.

Quote:
Our demands have been for a trial.


I'd say that you are repeating the demands of others, and now that they've got the trial they are demanding, they will move on to demanding nothing less than a conviction. Anyone who thought that this was just about getting Zimmerman a fair trial has been deluding themselves. While that is what should happen if the evidence supports it, it's *not* the motivation of the folks who are being the most vocal on this issue.

Quote:
The public outcry isn't what caused the trial. It is, however, what gave Martin the opportunity for justice.


And if Zimmerman is not convicted, does that mean Martin did not get justice? See. That's the problem I have with this. While I hope that the prosecutor is operating based on the facts of the case and the results of the investigation and nothing more, my fear is that the demands for "justice for Trayvon" require a trial, so they get a trial. Now that they have one, it'll demand a conviction. Will a jury give them one? Can we be sure that anything that happens from this point on is based on the law, or based on the fear of the mob?

And what happens if he's not convicted?


Quote:
There's a very good chance this case would have been swept under the rug without all the attention. Doesn't mean they are pressing charges because of it.


I'm not sure how you can write those two sentences one right after the other. If the charges would have been filed whether the attention was generated or not, then the attention wasn't necessary. If they wouldn't have then we're left with one of two possibilities:

1. The charges would not have been filed because there really wasn't sufficient evidence to file them.

2. The charges would not have been filed because the police just didn't care enough, were racist, or whatever other reason.


The entire assumption behind raising such attention is that condition 2 is true (or even may be true, so I'm not necessarily arguing that this is wrong). The concern is condition 1 though. The same attention would be raised if that was the case, yet there's nearly no way for anyone involved to know this (or to care in many cases). And that creates a condition where it's nearly impossible for actual justice to prevail. No matter what the outcome of the trial, someone's going to think something was wrong.

Edited, Apr 12th 2012 5:04pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#661 Apr 12 2012 at 6:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,087 posts
Quote:
I cannot understand how the police were able to make any determination after just a few hours. The lead investigator did a request for an arrest warrant but it was rejected by the state attorney's office because someone thought there wasn't enough evidence to convict. There wasn't enough evidence found at that time because I believe there wasn't a thorough investigation.


A lot will be dependant on forensics imho, as in: wound characteristics & placement, blood spatter... etc which would not necessarily be apparent to initial investigator.
A spent round in the ground, beaneath spatter would indicate Martin was in submissive position at time of fatal shot, a non-recovered slug with only drip spatter would indicate he was dominant when shot, which is probably the most significant point to be considered...& I dont believe anyones leaked wound placement yet.

All other admissable elements have allready been admitted by Zimmerman apparently, as in: weapon used, who fired etc.

If initial investigator report didnt indicate dominant/submissive position & if slug hadnt been recovered it would be hard to charge at that time. We shall see.
____________________________
[99WAR,99BLM,99DRK,99BST,99PLD,99MNK,99SMN75RDM49THF45NIN/WHM/DNC
/SAM,,~] Galka

BASTOK:10 SKY: O SEA: O DYNAMIS: O
SIREN srvr
YARP !!!
#662 Apr 12 2012 at 6:17 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,493 posts
Terrifyingspeed wrote:
Quote:
I cannot understand how the police were able to make any determination after just a few hours. The lead investigator did a request for an arrest warrant but it was rejected by the state attorney's office because someone thought there wasn't enough evidence to convict. There wasn't enough evidence found at that time because I believe there wasn't a thorough investigation.


A lot will be dependant on forensics imho, as in: wound characteristics & placement, blood spatter... etc which would not necessarily be apparent to initial investigator.
A spent round in the ground, beaneath spatter would indicate Martin was in submissive position at time of fatal shot, a non-recovered slug with only drip spatter would indicate he was dominant when shot, which is probably the most significant point to be considered...& I dont believe anyones leaked wound placement yet.

All other admissable elements have allready been admitted by Zimmerman apparently, as in: weapon used, who fired etc.

If initial investigator report didnt indicate dominant/submissive position & if slug hadnt been recovered it would be hard to charge at that time. We shall see.


This. CSI shows aside, it actually takes quite a bit of time to run those tests and assemble that information. As several people have mentioned in this thread, key information like distance and directionality of the bullet can massively change the decision with regard to self defense, but would not be apparent to someone examining the scene. We don't even know where Martin was shot. I'm somewhat assuming it had to be in the front even to remotely accept a self defense claim, but it's possible that it was elsewhere and the DA decided not to press charges that night specifically to give them sufficient time to get all the forensic test done. We can't know any of that.


As I've argued in this thread, the sticking point for me is that we have a witness who clearly saw Zimmerman in a position which would justify self defense (on his back, assailant on top of him, pinning him, and punching him) a short period of time before the shot was fired. So the only way to prove that it wasn't self defense would be to have some evidence that the positions of the two men changed between the point at which that witness shut his door (and lost sight of them) and the shot was fired. Forensic analysis of the bullet wound could show that, as could the potential of an additional witness we haven't heard from. If they have such evidence then they've got a got a shot at conviction. If they don't, then I think they're going to be cooked in trial.


I think this is also why the prosecutor went for 2nd degree murder instead of manslaughter. The far harder part of this case is going to be proving that Zimmerman fired his gun in a position other than that seen by the eye witness(es). If she thinks she's got the evidence to do that, then arguing that Zimmerman knowingly put himself and Martin into that position in the first place is relatively easy to prove. It's still a risk, but a relatively minor one. The odds of success between charging one versus the other probably aren't that great compared to getting either one to stick, so if you're going to go with either, may as well go for the bigger one.


At least, that's how I see it.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#663 Apr 12 2012 at 6:21 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
19,695 posts
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can write those two sentences one right after the other. If the charges would have been filed whether the attention was generated or not, then the attention wasn't necessary. If they wouldn't have then we're left with one of two possibilities:

1. The charges would not have been filed because there really wasn't sufficient evidence to file them.

2. The charges would not have been filed because the police just didn't care enough, were racist, or whatever other reason.


The entire assumption behind raising such attention is that condition 2 is true (or even may be true, so I'm not necessarily arguing that this is wrong). The concern is condition 1 though. The same attention would be raised if that was the case, yet there's nearly no way for anyone involved to know this (or to care in many cases). And that creates a condition where it's nearly impossible for actual justice to prevail. No matter what the outcome of the trial, someone's going to think something was wrong.


The point is somewhere over your head, you might want to check there.

You voiced doubt that the case is going to court because of evidence, but because of public pressure.

I said that, without public pressure, it's highly likely that the second investigation would not have been launched. But that the case itself would not go to court simply because the public demanded it.

That means that the public outcry is responsible for charges being filed in a causal manner that is necessary but not sufficient for charges.

And that's a massive distinction.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#664 Apr 13 2012 at 6:30 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
And that's a massive distinction.


Yet a distinction without a difference. The public may have had nothing to do with it at all, what do you think about that huh?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#665 Apr 13 2012 at 7:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,695 posts
Definitely possible, but it seems to me that the secondary investigation was launched in response to public outcry, and much of the case (judging by the affidavit) is based on that information, such as inclusion of witnesses the police hadn't even interviewed the first time around.

It's possible a more thorough investigation could have been ordered without public pressure, but given this police department's history I seriously doubt that.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#666 Apr 13 2012 at 7:38 AM Rating: Good
******
43,477 posts
gbaji wrote:
Will a jury give them one?
As rare as it may be, I doubt there will be a jury.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#667 Apr 13 2012 at 7:44 AM Rating: Good
If it weren't for the Stand Your Ground law, this would be an open and shut murder case. Even if Martin was the aggressor, if Zimmerman just retreated, the onus of guilt would have been on Martin. Instead, we let wanna be cops be the judge, jury, and executioners of people that look 'suspicious'.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#668 Apr 13 2012 at 1:47 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,493 posts
Duke Lubriderm wrote:
If it weren't for the Stand Your Ground law, this would be an open and shut murder case. Even if Martin was the aggressor, if Zimmerman just retreated, the onus of guilt would have been on Martin.


At the risk of repeating myself, if Zimmerman was not able to retreat, it's self defense regardless of Stand Your Ground. If someone jumps you, pins you to the ground, and beats on you without letting up, you can use lethal force to defend yourself. Always. This is precisely the position Zimmerman claims he was in, and which several witnesses saw him in, and which the physical evidence supports.

Unless there is some evidence to counter that condition just prior to the shot being fired, I don't see how they can prove he didn't fire in self defense. IMO, the whole case hinges on that.


Quote:
Instead, we let wanna be cops be the judge, jury, and executioners of people that look 'suspicious'.


To some degree though, police have to make judgment calls. There's not really any way around that. Assuming motive when they don't do something you want them to, or do something you don't, is a bit unfair. Can you really say with any certainty that they failed to look at the evidence and follow the correct procedures based on that?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#669 Apr 13 2012 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
gbaji wrote:
Quote:
Instead, we let wanna be cops be the judge, jury, and executioners of people that look 'suspicious'.


To some degree though, police have to make judgment calls. There's not really any way around that. Assuming motive when they don't do something you want them to, or do something you don't, is a bit unfair. Can you really say with any certainty that they failed to look at the evidence and follow the correct procedures based on that?


He was referring to vigilantes, not cops, ya dolt.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#670 Apr 13 2012 at 1:56 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,493 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Quote:
Instead, we let wanna be cops be the judge, jury, and executioners of people that look 'suspicious'.


To some degree though, police have to make judgment calls. There's not really any way around that. Assuming motive when they don't do something you want them to, or do something you don't, is a bit unfair. Can you really say with any certainty that they failed to look at the evidence and follow the correct procedures based on that?


He was referring to vigilantes, not cops, ya dolt.


Um... yeah. I, um, knew that! Honest! Smiley: bah

swear to god, I read it as "wanna let cops"
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#671 Apr 16 2012 at 9:06 AM Rating: Good
******
43,477 posts
Clearly Zimmerman should have set his sights higher.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#672 Apr 16 2012 at 9:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,063 posts
Yeah, a more or less failed bombing of a government building killing 8 people (His intention was to bring down the building as far as I know) then going to an island where there's a youth camp of the political party you hate and start shooting people like a madmen killing 69 and wounding many more.

Seems like a clear cut case of self defense.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#673 Apr 16 2012 at 10:20 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,746 posts



Quote:
If deemed mentally competent, Breivik would face a maximum prison sentence of 21 years or an alternate custody arrangement under which the sentence is prolonged for as long as an inmate is deemed a danger to society.


Maximum of 21 years for killing 77 people? That doesn't seem right.

(Yes, I do see the "alternate custody arrangement until deemed no longer a danger to society").
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#674 Apr 16 2012 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,695 posts
That's Norway's maximum sentence, period, as I understand it. The alternate clause is specifically for extraordinary cases.

He'll almost certainly be detained for life. And I'd wager it will be in a mental asylum.

[EDIT]
They also don't have capital punishments (with polls after the massacre reaffirming that it did not change public perception in favor of reinstatement).

Edited, Apr 16th 2012 12:28pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#675 Apr 16 2012 at 12:37 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Quote:
Anxious to prove he is not insane, Breivik will call right-wing extremists and radical Islamists to testify during the trial, to show that others also share his view of clashing civilizations.


That's going to be a **** of a weird trial. Smiley: eek
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#676 Apr 16 2012 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,240 posts
I don't get this European right-wing fervor about "multiculturalism" being such a bad thing. I always thought that the little individual kingdoms and pockets of micro civilizations made it so that the modern political boundaries don't have much to do with cultural identity. Italy has about twenty cultures within its borders because what we know as Italy didn't really even exist until the 20th century. Same thing with Germany.

Seems like he's just a deranged racist **** to me, but I'm an American Southerner, what do I know about racist ****
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#677 Apr 16 2012 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,063 posts
He's desperate to prove that he's sane because if he's proven not sane he's definitely going to be locked away and treated for the rest of his life, if he's sane there is a chance that he'll be able to go free after 21 years.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#678 Apr 16 2012 at 1:00 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,477 posts
catwho wrote:
Italy has about twenty cultures within its borders because what we know as Italy didn't really even exist until the 20th century.
There's us Sicilians, the Romans, and then a buncha guido mooks.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#679 Apr 16 2012 at 1:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,638 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
He's desperate to prove that he's sane because if he's proven not sane he's definitely going to be locked away and treated for the rest of his life, if he's sane there is a chance that he'll be able to go free after 21 years.


"Hell of a weird trial" bears repeating in this instance.

You're supposed to lynch everyone. Smiley: schooled

or at minimum spend millions of dollars debating whether he should be locked up in a jail or a mental institute for the rest of his life...


Edited, Apr 16th 2012 12:05pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#680 Apr 16 2012 at 1:12 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
10,776 posts
catwho wrote:
I don't get this European right-wing fervor about "multiculturalism" being such a bad thing. I always thought that the little individual kingdoms and pockets of micro civilizations made it so that the modern political boundaries don't have much to do with cultural identity. Italy has about twenty cultures within its borders because what we know as Italy didn't really even exist until the 20th century. Same thing with Germany.

Seems like he's just a deranged racist @#%^wit to me, but I'm an American Southerner, what do I know about racist @#%^wits...


Don't even get me started with the Filipino culture. Filipinos are pretty much nothing but an amalgamation of every civilization/culture that conquered/dominated/visited the native islanders of those islands. There are so many different dialects that someone from one province wouldn't understand another from another. There are traditions common enough to all, but there are still a lot of distinctions.

But balut is enjoyed by all.
#681 Apr 16 2012 at 1:14 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
He's desperate to prove that he's sane because if he's proven not sane he's definitely going to be locked away and treated for the rest of his life, if he's sane there is a chance that he'll be able to go free after 21 years.


That's an interesting dynamic, since everyone here is always eager to have themselves declared insane.

I'm not sure which way I prefer, really.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#682 Apr 16 2012 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,063 posts
catwho wrote:
I don't get this European right-wing fervor about "multiculturalism" being such a bad thing. I always thought that the little individual kingdoms and pockets of micro civilizations made it so that the modern political boundaries don't have much to do with cultural identity. Italy has about twenty cultures within its borders because what we know as Italy didn't really even exist until the 20th century. Same thing with Germany.

Seems like he's just a deranged racist @#%^wit to me, but I'm an American Southerner, what do I know about racist @#%^wits...
He feels that his identity and race is threatened by them dirty muslims/eastern europeans and whatever else. So yeah, it's mostly racism/antisemitism but sold in a new way in an attempt to make it look less hateful.

Eske Esquire wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
He's desperate to prove that he's sane because if he's proven not sane he's definitely going to be locked away and treated for the rest of his life, if he's sane there is a chance that he'll be able to go free after 21 years.


That's an interesting dynamic, since everyone here is always eager to have themselves declared insane.

I'm not sure which way I prefer, really.
Either way it's unlikely that he'll ever go free as I doubt anyone will stop considering him as a danger to society.
But in the Netherlands at least there's been criticism on the mental institutions because some people got stuck in there indefinitely while they were actually treated and no longer a danger to society, you're just kind of stuck in there forever by default. Which is why people would rather serve jail time because then at least they're fairly certain they'll be free again at some point event though prison climate is a lot more harsh than a mental institution. Although neither would be considered a harsh environment at all compared to US prisons, especially Norwegian prisons.

Anyway, Breivik will probably spend the rest of his life locked up, he prefers prison over a mental institution because there's a small chance he'll be free at some point and because being declared insane would hurt the validity of the message he tried to send by committing his crimes.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#683 Apr 16 2012 at 1:30 PM Rating: Good
**
574 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
He's desperate to prove that he's sane because if he's proven not sane he's definitely going to be locked away and treated for the rest of his life, if he's sane there is a chance that he'll be able to go free after 21 years.


That's an interesting dynamic, since everyone here is always eager to have themselves declared insane.

I'm not sure which way I prefer, really.


Ted Kaczynsk took a plea so not to have his sanity questioned. Most people like these two want a trial so they can have a forum for their crazy while not admitting they are crazy.
____________________________
.
#684 Apr 16 2012 at 2:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Thumbelyna wrote:
But Smiley: spam is enjoyed by all.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#685 Apr 16 2012 at 5:18 PM Rating: Good
******
21,717 posts
Thumbelyna wrote:
But balut is enjoyed by all.


The question is "What is false", Alex.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#686 Apr 17 2012 at 5:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,930 posts
Samira wrote:
Catwho wrote:
What I suspect is that the Sanford police simply took him at his word of "self defense" without digging too thoroughly into it because, hey, he seemed like a nice guy who wouldn't shoot a kid unless he had probable cause to suspect him of being dangerous.


With respect, in my opinion this is exactly wrong. The police knew him better than his own father did, is my guess. He certainly talked to them more, by all accounts. Scores of 911 calls, trying to cozy up to them at every opportunity? Cops are not (necessarily) stupid. They knew he was going to kill someone some day, in all likelihood. He sees himself as Dirty Harry. Tragically, he's more of a Travis Bickle.

What does that say about the police in Sanford, Florida? Depends on whether they really were continuing the investigation. I don't know the answer. I suspect they knew they needed to get Zimmerman off the street before he killed someone who mattered, though.


Wasn't Bickle hailed as a hero?
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#687 Apr 17 2012 at 5:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,191 posts
Yes, by the masses. Not my point.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#688 Apr 17 2012 at 5:56 AM Rating: Good
******
43,477 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Thumbelyna wrote:
But Smiley: spam is enjoyed by all.

It's pink and it's oval.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#689 Apr 17 2012 at 6:09 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,705 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Thumbelyna wrote:
But Smiley: spam is enjoyed by all.

It's pink and it's oval.
Don't be fooled by imitation brands; Spam - The original pink slime.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#690 Apr 17 2012 at 6:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,930 posts
Samira wrote:
Yes, by the masses. Not my point.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, so we're not trying this guy in the court of public opinion?

What? They make other kinds of courts now? My faith in the system has been shaken; Shaken.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#691 Apr 18 2012 at 5:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,191 posts
Look, if you're going to insist on apples to apples comparisons, we'll never get through this. Do you know how long it takes to transmogrify people to apples?

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#692 Apr 18 2012 at 5:59 AM Rating: Good
***
1,087 posts
Quote:
Spam musubi is a popular snack and lunch food in Hawaii composed a slice of grilled Spam atop of a block of rice, wrapped together with nori in the tradition of Japanese omusubi.

Inexpensive and portable, spam musubi is commonly found near cash registers in convenience stores all over Hawaii


...its not bad, but it is sad
____________________________
[99WAR,99BLM,99DRK,99BST,99PLD,99MNK,99SMN75RDM49THF45NIN/WHM/DNC
/SAM,,~] Galka

BASTOK:10 SKY: O SEA: O DYNAMIS: O
SIREN srvr
YARP !!!
#693 Apr 18 2012 at 7:47 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,477 posts
Samira wrote:
Do you know how long it takes to transmogrify people to apples?
Solid, or sauce?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#694 Apr 18 2012 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,776 posts
Terrifyingspeed wrote:
Quote:
Spam musubi is a popular snack and lunch food in Hawaii composed a slice of grilled Spam atop of a block of rice, wrapped together with nori in the tradition of Japanese omusubi.

Inexpensive and portable, spam musubi is commonly found near cash registers in convenience stores all over Hawaii


...its not bad, but it is sad


It is not bad and it is not sad. Spam is great. Spam is wonderful. Spam is awesome in fried rice, in eggs, in ramen, in your arteries **** up your cholesterol. It's the Islander bacon for **** sake.
#695 Apr 18 2012 at 9:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,638 posts
Thumbelyna wrote:
Spam is great. Spam is wonderful. Spam is awesome in fried rice, in eggs, in ramen, in your arteries @#%^ing up your cholesterol.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#696 Apr 18 2012 at 9:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,930 posts
Samira wrote:
Look, if you're going to insist on apples to apples comparisons, we'll never get through this. Do you know how long it takes to transmogrify people to apples?



Yes, 7-11 years iirc. But I see your point.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#697 Apr 18 2012 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
***
2,796 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Samira wrote:
Look, if you're going to insist on apples to apples comparisons, we'll never get through this. Do you know how long it takes to transmogrify people to apples?



Yes, 7-11 years iirc. But I see your point.


I hear there's new technology about to be released that lowers the turnaround time to a 4-9 year range. I just hope the government approves it.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#698 Apr 18 2012 at 3:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,930 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Timelordwho wrote:
Samira wrote:
Look, if you're going to insist on apples to apples comparisons, we'll never get through this. Do you know how long it takes to transmogrify people to apples?



Yes, 7-11 years iirc. But I see your point.


I hear there's new technology about to be released that lowers the turnaround time to a 4-9 year range. I just hope the government approves it.


Yeah, it's called Monsanto.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#699 Apr 18 2012 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
Samira wrote:
Look, if you're going to insist on apples to apples comparisons, we'll never get through this. Do you know how long it takes to transmogrify people to apples?

1. Place person in box
2. Set arrow to "apple"
3. Say *BOINK*
4. ?????
5. Apple
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
My own extraordinary nature has nothing to do with the validity of what I'm talking about..
#700 Apr 18 2012 at 9:44 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,895 posts
Scientific progress goes "Boink"?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#701 Apr 18 2012 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
Debalic wrote:
Scientific progress goes "Boink"?
Unless you are using the gun version; then it goes *ZAP*
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
My own extraordinary nature has nothing to do with the validity of what I'm talking about..
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 27 All times are in CDT
feelz, Timelordwho, Wizorb, Anonymous Guests (24)