Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Mid weekend update!Follow

#1 Feb 19 2012 at 8:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
Hah! no one was expecting the dreaded middle of the long weekend update thread! tell us not what your plans are, but what you did I guess?

Anyone haveing a particularily interesting weekend of doom so far?

I just did my taxes, which at least gets them out of the way!
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#2 Feb 19 2012 at 9:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Tomorrow, The Man and I are headed to the other side of the island. I am taking an assessment test at the post office to try and snag a cushy government job. And we're going to laze on the beach the rest of the time.

Today, we bought a new futon mattress, which I am very excited about. I may get my first good night's sleep in this apartment tonight. :D
#3 Feb 19 2012 at 9:17 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,547 posts
unfortunately Ive been light on the doom and heavy on the work. But I do have monday off!
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#4 Feb 19 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
I was so confused by this post, because I had no clue tomorrow was President's Day. Don't get off for it, so my weekend isn't long. :(
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#5 Feb 19 2012 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I was so confused by this post, because I had no clue tomorrow was President's Day.
^ this.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#6 Feb 19 2012 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,559 posts
Does anyone get President's Day off that doesn't work for the government?
#7 Feb 19 2012 at 11:13 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
Don't get off for it,
Come on, diggs, there are plenty of sites on the internet that can help accommodate that, holiday or not.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#8 Feb 19 2012 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Turin wrote:
Does anyone get President's Day off that doesn't work for the government?


Union peeps. Smiley: lol
#9 Feb 19 2012 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I was so confused by this post, because I had no clue tomorrow was President's Day. Don't get off for it, so my weekend isn't long. :(


It's like you can read my mind.

Get the **** out of my head.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#10 Feb 19 2012 at 11:28 PM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Turin wrote:
Does anyone get President's Day off that doesn't work for the government?


I'm off, for some reason. Or at least, I think I'm off. Now I'm second guessing myself. No, I'm pretty sure I'm off.

I'll find out otherwise if I get an angry call from my boss, I guess.

I wish that next weekend was the long one. I've got jack squat to do this weekend. Was trying to write a retort to this bit from David Jaffe, but it opened up too big a can of worms, so I tabled it for now. I'm reviewing Syndicate this coming week, and would have loved a long weekend to play it.

Between work, night classes, and MMA, I don't get home till around 10 each night. Gonna have to make some time to play for the review.

Edited, Feb 20th 2012 12:32am by Eske
#11 Feb 20 2012 at 12:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'd be more upset by Jaffe's thing if I could find a hint of a point within his stream of consciousness babbling.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#12 Feb 20 2012 at 1:19 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I'd be more upset by Jaffe's thing if I could find a hint of a point within his stream of consciousness babbling.


That's a large portion of the problem. I'd find a point to harp on, then reread his speech and find that he contradicted himself just a few minutes later.

"Games are a terrible medium for telling stories..."

(Two paragraphs later)

"Now, I'm not saying that games shouldn't tell stories. I've played some games that tell some great stories."

Etc. etc. I think that I'm partly annoyed by the fact that I'm having to translate his own argument for him before I can even begin the rebuttal. Not a good way to start an editorial.

If you run it through some filters, it seems like you can distill his point down to saying that "if a designer's only goal at the onset of the design process is to tell linear narrative, then he should just write a book."

Dunno if I agree with that. I've been led to believe that the design process can be fluid and unpredictable from my arch. education. You can do your damndest to make something that achieves a particular goal, but have it succeed for entirely different ones, sometimes by no more than happy accident.

That's only one of the angles that I could take. Trying to sort out all the particulars got rather overwhelming. I feel like I could write volumes about this stuff, but it's all overkill for the hypothetical article. I'm having trouble focusing.

Probably best to let it marinate.

Edited, Feb 20th 2012 2:20am by Eske
#13 Feb 20 2012 at 8:03 AM Rating: Good
***
3,046 posts
This weekend has been all about how Jonwin has been up and about and only needing my help when the pain get bad enough that he need to take his pain pills.

He is off work for the next several weeks to 3 months. I took today off from going in to my therapy group to make sure he has everything taken care of and gets to a lab so to have some blood drawn.I expect he'll be on the phone a lot to day with calls to his lawyer, the workman's comp insurance and arranging rides to both the lab and his PT appointments.

I do get to take long naps and sleep in the days I stay home, so all is good for me.
____________________________
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! -ElneClare

This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.
#14 Feb 20 2012 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
At work here. A handful of our smaller clients are closed, but all the big ones are still open.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#15 Feb 20 2012 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,244 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
I'd be more upset by Jaffe's thing if I could find a hint of a point within his stream of consciousness babbling.


That's a large portion of the problem. I'd find a point to harp on, then reread his speech and find that he contradicted himself just a few minutes later.

"Games are a terrible medium for telling stories..."

(Two paragraphs later)

"Now, I'm not saying that games shouldn't tell stories. I've played some games that tell some great stories."

Etc. etc. I think that I'm partly annoyed by the fact that I'm having to translate his own argument for him before I can even begin the rebuttal. Not a good way to start an editorial.

If you run it through some filters, it seems like you can distill his point down to saying that "if a designer's only goal at the onset of the design process is to tell linear narrative, then he should just write a book."

Dunno if I agree with that. I've been led to believe that the design process can be fluid and unpredictable from my arch. education. You can do your damndest to make something that achieves a particular goal, but have it succeed for entirely different ones, sometimes by no more than happy accident.

That's only one of the angles that I could take. Trying to sort out all the particulars got rather overwhelming. I feel like I could write volumes about this stuff, but it's all overkill for the hypothetical article. I'm having trouble focusing.

Probably best to let it marinate.

Edited, Feb 20th 2012 2:20am by Eske


He contradicts himself all over the place.

I think I get some of what he's saying, but he's using a broadsword instead of a scalpel. I think he's saying that games don't necessarily have to TELL the story, don't have to dictate the only way a story can go, because a game is not necessarily the best medium for that. For a specific, author-driven, preset plot, books and movies are better media. For an open-ended, player-driven narrative, some games do a very good job - because the developers don't tell the story. They set the world in motion and let the player choose how it goes. That is, arguably, one reason why games like Skyrim and Deus Ex are so compelling and replayable.

Mixed in with that is his opinion, which I share, that games that are made from movies and comics are inherently problematic.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#16 Feb 20 2012 at 11:05 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
My mom was supposed to go down to Maryland to visit my ailing sister for the week, so my wife invited her brother up to the house for the week. Mom got sick the day she was supposed to leave. I got sick later that day. Jacob has a cold. Most everyone in the house is sick and miserable.

I have today off because the banks are closed and I keep bank hours.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#17 Feb 20 2012 at 11:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Well, both Arkham Asylum & Arkham City were critical and player-driven hits. Despite being very linear and story-driven*. I can see where an individual may not care for them but there's no denying their success.

Likewise, Metro 2033 was adapted from a novel. I haven't read it so I can't say how much it deviates but the game itself is extremely on rails (I'm the first person ever to make that pun). Still, it was very atmospheric and I greatly enjoyed it. Game play was nothing special but I've yet to see the FPS that counts as "special" for mechanics**. The setting and the story were very engaging. As opposed to Homefront which had an interesting idea and did nothing with it leaving you with a pretty dull FPS competing in a saturated field of FPS's.

So... ummm... assuming that was his point, I don't very much agree with it.

*The "Easy" setting being called "Tell me a story"
** I suppose Portal would count for varying definitions of "First Person Shooter"
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#18 Feb 20 2012 at 11:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,244 posts
Yeah, I could be completely off the mark. I assume he was more coherent in person, with inflections and so forth.

I tend to enjoy more open-ended games like Morrowind and Skyrim, both Elder Scrolls games. On the other hand, Dragon Age was one of the most replayable games I've ever had, and its story line was much more linear. The ending was ultimately predetermined, but the player still had a lot of input in how the story played out - there was going to be a ruler, no matter what; but you chose who that would be.

And the Thief line of stories were taken from an entire genre of books, arguably (as many games have been), and are among my favorites ever.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#19 Feb 20 2012 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,463 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Well, both Arkham Asylum & Arkham City were critical and player-driven hits. Despite being very linear and story-driven*. I can see where an individual may not care for them but there's no denying their success.

Likewise, Metro 2033 was adapted from a novel. I haven't read it so I can't say how much it deviates but the game itself is extremely on rails (I'm the first person ever to make that pun). Still, it was very atmospheric and I greatly enjoyed it. Game play was nothing special but I've yet to see the FPS that counts as "special" for mechanics**. The setting and the story were very engaging. As opposed to Homefront which had an interesting idea and did nothing with it leaving you with a pretty dull FPS competing in a saturated field of FPS's.

So... ummm... assuming that was his point, I don't very much agree with it.

*The "Easy" setting being called "Tell me a story"
** I suppose Portal would count for varying definitions of "First Person Shooter"

Sexay as ever. I woke up at four every day this past weekend including today. Did laundry, balanced the checkbook, knit a dinosaur, choreographed for my troupe and generally kicked *** at wife-and-mothering. Except for the part when my youngest split his head like a melon and I discovered the ennui I routinely deployed when in the presence of dead bodies completely escapes me when one of my own spills 1/10 or a drop of blood.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#20 Feb 20 2012 at 11:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I played Skyrim! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#21 Feb 20 2012 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,463 posts
Jesus Christ, it's like you're a ******* admiral. How many posts you up to?
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#22 Feb 20 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
31.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#23 Feb 20 2012 at 11:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,244 posts
I... don't think admirals get that many stars. There must be some uber-rank above that.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#24 Feb 20 2012 at 12:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Apparently, according to wiki, the title of Maréchal de France is awarded as a distinction, rather than a rank. The marshals wear seven stars and carry a baton.

So congrats, I guess. Frenchie.
____________________________
Banh
#25 Feb 20 2012 at 12:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Do you hear the people sing? Singing the songs of angry men...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#26 Feb 20 2012 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,463 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Do you hear the people sing? Singing the songs of angry men...
This would put you in the river, Inspector Javert.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 65 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (65)