Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

An update.Follow

#1 Feb 17 2012 at 8:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,923 posts
According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the USA's spending on its military is down to 42% of the entire world's spending on military. I don't know whether this is a consequence of America already cutting military spending, other countries increasing military spending, or the lowered American Dollar. Or any combination thereof. Or something else.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#2 Feb 17 2012 at 8:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,460 posts
Does that mean we'll only be responsible for sticking our nose into 42% of the world's problems?

As for your question, spending cuts have already begun. People are having their assignments extended to avoid shipping costs and people with orders are losing them. Not actually being in the military, I can't speak for the rest of the cuts, but everyone seems to be getting screwed in one way or another.
#3 Feb 17 2012 at 8:35 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,937 posts
We're cutting down on ground forces. I've gone from being told to recruit one person a week to one person a month.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Feb 17 2012 at 9:12 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,980 posts
My take is that the shift is moving away from Iraq-era ground-based forces and shifting more towards sea and airpower in the Pacific to oppose China's increasing might.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#5 Feb 17 2012 at 9:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,460 posts
Debalic wrote:
My take is that the shift is moving away from Iraq-era ground-based forces and shifting more towards sea and airpower in the Pacific to oppose China's increasing might.


Not saying you're wrong, but I'd probably be the first person here to know about it, and I haven't seen anything indicating it.

Edit: Just remembered RIMPAC is this year, so **** near every ship we have will be here in a few months. No point in bringing everything in right now.

Edited, Feb 17th 2012 5:37pm by Raolan
#6 Feb 17 2012 at 10:07 PM Rating: Good
**
479 posts
Obama recently stated that he's shifting the military's focus from Europe to the Pacific AOR, I'd say a month or 2 ago.(Have to go look that up later) You won't see a build-up right away. Most likey as we pull out of Afgan and withdraw units from Europe, you'll begin to see forces shifted and more short-term deployments to various locals. Guam will become a busier hub and our friends down-under will get some more visitors to train with. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Navy shift a few ships from the Atlantic Fleet to the Pacific Fleet and forward deploy more to Japan in the next year or 2. Singapore is willing to host more ships as well, they've agreed to port our LCS there already. AF will rotate more units through Guam and Hawaii, with short temp duty to Korea and Okinawa to be sure. Army will prob pre-position more gear than anything and the Marines will take on the bulk of the land training.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Pack your own lunch and bring nothing but Pixie Stix and Pop Rocks and get your liberty on.
#7 Feb 17 2012 at 10:51 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,065 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
We're cutting down on ground forces. I've gone from being told to recruit one person a week to one person a month.

Hope you don't work on commission.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#8 Feb 20 2012 at 12:36 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
10,777 posts
A few hundred sailors in San Diego were hit with the "layoffs" where their packages were not approved either for re-enlistment or they were actually let go in the middle of their enlistment contract. Military service was one of the last bastions of "guaranteed" employment and there is a shift to if you don't perform at the very least to the minimum required level, you won't be allowed to re-enlist. What I did find surprising were the enlisted that were in the middle of contracts that were let go, not because of they were bad in some way, but because their ratings and rankings were overmanned. Some were able to shift into other ratings and were able to go on with their careers, many more are now floundering with what to do since a lot of them were planning for the full 20 years of service.

Even the ones that were let go still have it better than a civilian that's been laid off. Their early separation pay can be as much as $24,000. They do get veteran status for job searching so they do have an advantage when applying for a federal position. They are receiving job transitioning assistance and counseling. They will still receive benefits for a time period after being let go. Those that were let go at the 15 year mark of their career are being offered smaller pension packages.
#9 Feb 20 2012 at 5:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,204 posts
Since the deficit reduction committee could not arrive at a decision the cuts became automatic and military cuts were all part of the package. Base closing has been going on for a few years, and now the heavy metal is coming back from Europe.
____________________________
For Truth, Justice, and the Norrathian Way!
Tinkering is a trade skill which will not prevent the mobs from hitting you.
#10 Feb 20 2012 at 10:46 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
Awesome, another argument for when my dad tells me to join the military.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#11 Feb 21 2012 at 6:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'd think "I don't like bullets coming at me" would be a perfectly valid reason.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#12 Feb 21 2012 at 6:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,262 posts
In some cases more than others.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#13 Feb 21 2012 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,937 posts
SillyXSara wrote:
Awesome, another argument for when my dad tells me to join the military.
You should. Apparently we need more women to cause us to die because we're overly chivalrous and to rape.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Feb 21 2012 at 7:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
we're overly chivalrous and to rape.

You hold the door for her on the way into the rape room?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#15 Feb 21 2012 at 7:59 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,937 posts
The bar is fully stocked with ruffie coladas in the rape room.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#16 Feb 21 2012 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,444 posts
The Navy school here in town closed. While we were concerned about the loss of jobs, etc, that was going to result from it, UGA jumped on the campus like it was an open pit gold mine. The property was officially returned to the county, but the uni forked over seven million dollars and then another hundred million to rennovate it into a sattelite campus of the Medical College of GA.

Win for Athens, loss for Augusta (where MCG's main campus is), and the best possible use of a retired military base that I can think of.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#17 Feb 22 2012 at 1:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,000 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I'd think "I don't like bullets coming at me" would be a perfectly valid reason.


There are plenty of support jobs where your chance of getting shot is higher on your flight layover than on site.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#18 Feb 22 2012 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
SillyXSara wrote:
Awesome, another argument for when my dad tells me to join the military.
You should. Apparently we need more women to cause us to die because we're overly chivalrous and to rape.

Sara is an dude.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#19 Feb 22 2012 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
That won't stop the rapin'
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20 Feb 22 2012 at 1:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I bet he can squeal like a pig.
____________________________
Banh
#21 Feb 22 2012 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
Yaaay raep.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#22 Feb 22 2012 at 6:33 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,980 posts
Nilatai wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
SillyXSara wrote:
Awesome, another argument for when my dad tells me to join the military.
You should. Apparently we need more women to cause us to die because we're overly chivalrous and to rape.

Sara is an dude.

Wait...what?

I'm having some serious gender issues around here.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#23 Feb 22 2012 at 6:34 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,937 posts
It's all the same in the dark, boss.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 Feb 22 2012 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
It's all the same in the dark, boss.

Truth. I'll get the lube.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#25 Feb 22 2012 at 7:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,461 posts
Jophiel wrote:
That won't stop the rapin'
It might slow it down some. You know, recovery time.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#26 Feb 23 2012 at 11:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,000 posts
Atomicflea wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
That won't stop the rapin'
It might slow it down some. You know, recovery time.


The rape train has no breaks.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#27 Feb 24 2012 at 12:37 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,471 posts
It ain't rape unless you leave marks, so I hope you hit them a few times.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 85 All times are in CDT
Jophiel, Kavekkk, stupidmonkey, Anonymous Guests (82)