Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Education - Public vs PrivateFollow

#302 Feb 25 2012 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,052 posts
McDonald isn't a branch of the military?


















I thought it was their re-branded chemical weapons program.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#303 Feb 25 2012 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
Is anyone else actually a little surprised that Alma was considered intelligent enough to work at McDonalds?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#304 Feb 25 2012 at 9:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,052 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Is anyone else actually a little surprised that Alma was considered intelligent enough to work at McDonalds?


No, I consider him exactly the type of person who works at McDonald's for half a decade.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#305Almalieque, Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 12:24 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You made that statement as if it were a corporation thing. I have yet seen that deal.
#306 Feb 26 2012 at 12:32 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,047 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
I worked at McDonalds for 5ish years,
So you've been in the military for five years, and don't know anything, and you worked at McDonalds for five years and didn't learn anything there either. I'm seeing a trend.


I know that you have yet provided the AR that supports your claim.. Go ahead, I'm still waiting.. no link, no page, just the AR.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#307 Feb 26 2012 at 12:48 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
No, really, not smart enough to work at McDonalds.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#308 Feb 26 2012 at 1:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
You DO REALIZE that people just assume that by having a taller cup that they are getting more to drink?

You are. You DO REALIZE that they cram ice into a small cup the same way they cram ice into a large cup meaning that you DO REALIZE that you'll get more soda in a large cup, right? You DO REALIZE that it's not as though they only put one ice cube in a small cup, right? You DO REALIZE that even if its 90% filled with ice, 10% of a 12oz cup is less than 10% of a 44oz cup, right?

Maybe you don't. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to make you feel bad.

Quote:
You DO REALIZE that the whole point of this derail is that self-service is more feasible because the Coke that you drink from the fountain isn't the same as the Coke that you would buy from the store?

Smiley: laugh Welcome to the point?

Quote:
You made that statement as if it were a corporation thing. I have yet seen that deal.

I'll have to take your word on that. It's like that at every McD's in the region aside from the ones in high price locations like airports and museums. Been that way for well over a year now, if not longer.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#309 Feb 26 2012 at 4:51 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Quote:
Every place that uses soda fountains is going to encounter this issue, however. It's perfectly normal. It averages out to the right concentration, but it's a bell curve.


Is that true? I gathered one of the things fast food chains were most concerned with was making a standardized product, and it's not much of a feat of engineering to fix this simple problem.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#310 Feb 26 2012 at 4:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Jophiel wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
You DO REALIZE that people just assume that by having a taller cup that they are getting more to drink?

You are. You DO REALIZE that they cram ice into a small cup the same way they cram ice into a large cup meaning that you DO REALIZE that you'll get more soda in a large cup, right? You DO REALIZE that it's not as though they only put one ice cube in a small cup, right? You DO REALIZE that even if its 90% filled with ice, 10% of a 12oz cup is less than 10% of a 44oz cup, right?

Maybe you don't. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to make you feel bad.

Quote:
You DO REALIZE that the whole point of this derail is that self-service is more feasible because the Coke that you drink from the fountain isn't the same as the Coke that you would buy from the store?

Smiley: laugh Welcome to the point?

Quote:
You made that statement as if it were a corporation thing. I have yet seen that deal.

I'll have to take your word on that. It's like that at every McD's in the region aside from the ones in high price locations like airports and museums. Been that way for well over a year now, if not longer.
You DO REALIZE that you are arguing with alma, where 'points' exist on the same level as unicorns and Godzilla?
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#311 Feb 26 2012 at 5:35 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
Almalieque wrote:
You made that statement as if it were a corporation thing. I have yet seen that deal.
To the best of my knowledge, it's nationwide here, when it happens. It's a summertime deal.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#312 Feb 26 2012 at 8:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Duke Lubriderm wrote:
You DO REALIZE that you are arguing with alma, where 'points' exist on the same level as unicorns and Godzilla?

Touché, Monsieur Pussycat
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#313 Feb 26 2012 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
Kavekk wrote:
Quote:
Every place that uses soda fountains is going to encounter this issue, however. It's perfectly normal. It averages out to the right concentration, but it's a bell curve.


Is that true? I gathered one of the things fast food chains were most concerned with was making a standardized product, and it's not much of a feat of engineering to fix this simple problem.


I don't think it's an engineering thing, it's a cost one. I'm betting business owners are supposed to switch in a new bag when it hits 25% or so. I'm doubting many do it, since there's no way to transfer that product to the new bag. Switching it when they should would greatly reduce the variability. The most noticeable affect is when it tastes super watered down. Specifically because you DO add ice, having the perfect soda concentration doesn't matter too much--as the additional liquid is added, the product would change anyway.

The only places that use the old systems are ones that have had their systems for a long time, so not McDonalds. But you can see them in old mom and pop shops. But the pump system only reduced the problem didn't eliminate it. 8 flavor fountains seem to be about 4k. Big chains could afford to put that down to upgrade their machines, smaller places maybe not.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#314Almalieque, Posted: Feb 26 2012 at 9:33 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I have been in and out of the U.S sine 2006, but I've never seen it in Memphis, Jacksonville, Augusta, Austin, Manila, Seoul, Beijing, Tokyo, Frankfurt or any McDonald's in route to any of those locations. However, I did see that deal for Jack in the Box. The dollar menu has always only included the small drink.
#315 Feb 26 2012 at 9:56 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
Quote:

You DO REALIZE that the fountains are calibrated to dispense a certain amount of a drink? You DO REALIZE that if you were to hit the "Large" button, it would exactly fill up a small cup? That may not be the normal, but it was for the one I worked at.


And how much does the "small" button fill it?

Thanks for proving Joph's point.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#316 Feb 26 2012 at 10:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
A taller thin glass doesn't necessarily have a larger volume than a smaller wide glass

Yeah, but a 44oz cup holds more volume than a 12oz cup. 32oz more volume to be exact. That would be, in fact, the reason why they're labeled in ounces capacity and not with vague descriptors such as "Tall & Thin" and "Short & Wide".

SCIENCE!

Quote:
You DO REALIZE that if you were to hit the "Large" button, it would exactly fill up a small cup? That may not be the normal, but it was for the one I worked at.

Assuming you mean with an equal proportion of ice in each cup, either the store you worked at existed in bizarro world, you're lying or you paid zero attention. I don't believe in alternate dimensions so I'm guessing a little from Column B and a little from Column C. If they didn't have you put an equal proportion of ice in each size cup, either you or your manager was mentally retarded. Both plausible possibilities but if I was a gambling man, my money wouldn't be on a retarded manager.

Again, you're not the only person with esteemed McD's experience.

Edited, Feb 26th 2012 10:08am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#317 Feb 26 2012 at 10:14 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,744 posts
The BIB system ensures almost no waste. If one place has a watered down taste that another doesn't, it's because one store has decided to run a thinner mix and has purposefully diluted their syrup to increase profit.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#318 Feb 26 2012 at 10:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
I've never worked in fast food, but I've worked in several restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels, etc. And they all use the same box and CO2 mixture dealie. And the restaurant is under contract with Coke, Pepsi, whatever. And Coke/Pepsi comes to the business and calibrates the soda. I'm not saying that someone at the restaurant can't go behind this guy and try to "water it down", but I don't ever remember seeing that happen.

Also, you leave the boxes hooked up until they're totally dry and the stupid pump starts going insane trying to get the last of the syrup out (I'm sure a lot of you have heard some "wheezing" from behind the scenes when you're told that the Coke just ran out, they're changing it now). There's no way to open those bags up and put any leftover into another one.
#319 Feb 26 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
Uglysasquatch wrote:
The BIB system ensures almost no waste. If one place has a watered down taste that another doesn't, it's because one store has decided to run a thinner mix and has purposefully diluted their syrup to increase profit.


This.

ALSO: Every restaurant I ever worked at that used the BiB system was hooked to a regulator system that kept the syrup under a constant pressure to ensure a consistent product.

How did you (Alma) manage to get a "bell curve" - or for that matter, any variation - from your BiBs?
Did you hang them from the ceiling like IV bags and let them drip into the soda machines?
____________________________
Allegory wrote:
Bijou your art is exceptionally creepy. It seems like their should be something menacing about it, yet no such tone is present.
#320 Feb 26 2012 at 11:47 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,047 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Yeah, but a 44oz cup holds more volume than a 12oz cup. 32oz more volume to be exact. That would be, in fact, the reason why they're labeled in ounces capacity and not with vague descriptors such as "Tall & Thin" and "Short & Wide".

SCIENCE!


Ok, let me break it down for you..

Since people automatically assume that "taller" is always "more", they don't realize that they can get the same amount of coke in a 12 oz without ice as they can with a 44 oz with ice. When you look at the two cups side by side, it isn't palpable. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

Jophiel wrote:
Assuming you mean with an equal proportion of ice in each cup, either the store you worked at existed in bizarro world, you're lying or you paid zero attention. I don't believe in alternate dimensions so I'm guessing a little from Column B and a little from Column C. If they didn't have you put an equal proportion of ice in each size cup, either you or your manager was mentally retarded. Both plausible possibilities but if I was a gambling man, my money wouldn't be on a retarded manager.


You hit the button and then you fill the rest of the cup with ice. Did everyone get the same amount of ice? No. But they all got the same amount of coke. No one pays that close attention to notice that they got less ice than before. It's not that hard to understand.

Jophiel wrote:

Again, you're not the only person with esteemed McD's experience.


Again, I'm not sure why you are even thinking that I'm even pretending that I am. It's a freakin fast food restaurant. It's where MANY teenagers work! Even if it weren't McD's, the concept is the same in other burger joints. You're trying to do a "lolGaxe" and hide behind an irrelevant derail.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#321 Feb 26 2012 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
That was me. I've worked two places with the box systems, and there was a noticeable difference between 25% and 100%. Could just be that neither system was set up properly. For all I know, they just left out the regulator for whatever reason (which would be stupid, since a google search tells me they are cheap).
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#322 Feb 26 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,047 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
The BIB system ensures almost no waste. If one place has a watered down taste that another doesn't, it's because one store has decided to run a thinner mix and has purposefully diluted their syrup to increase profit.


This.

ALSO: Every restaurant I ever worked at that used the BiB system was hooked to a regulator system that kept the syrup under a constant pressure to ensure a consistent product.

How did you (Alma) manage to get a "bell curve" - or for that matter, any variation - from your BiBs?
Did you hang them from the ceiling like IV bags and let them drip into the soda machines?


I wasn't being that literal. I made a broad statement in reference to the coke being sold there isn't the same coke that you would buy at a store in order to save money.

No reference to you, but I find it funny that when other people say broad statements on national hot topic debates involving civil rights, I get the "You know what I mean". However, when I say a similar type of statement on something almost completely irrelevant to anyone, it gets dissected into literacy.Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#323 Feb 26 2012 at 1:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
Since people automatically assume that "taller" is always "more", they don't realize that they can get the same amount of coke in a 12 oz without ice as they can with a 44 oz with ice. When you look at the two cups side by side, it isn't palpable. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

Except the cups are, in fact, designed to hold increasing ounces of soda. That's an even less difficult concept and here you are stumbling all over with it apparently confused as ****.

Quote:
You hit the button and then you fill the rest of the cup with ice.

You dumped your ice in AFTER putting soda in the cup? I guess you were retarded. Have fun with soda all over your hands Smiley: laugh

Quote:
Again, I'm not sure why you are even thinking that I'm even pretending that I am.

For some reason you seem to think you can give ***-stupid accounts of how things are done there and people will blindly believe you, all common sense to the contrary.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#324 Feb 26 2012 at 1:15 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
Quote:
Ok, let me break it down for you..

Since people automatically assume that "taller" is always "more", they don't realize that they can get the same amount of coke in a 12 oz without ice as they can with a 44 oz with ice. When you look at the two cups side by side, it isn't palpable. It's really not a hard concept to understand.


Comparisons however are a hard concept for you to understand. If I didn't want Ice why would I get it in my 44oz cup?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#325 Feb 26 2012 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
I almost never get soda on the rare occasion I eat fast food. But when I used to, I'd always ask for no ice. Not because I wanted more soda, but because I'm generally a "sipper" and the ice would all have long melted by the time I finish the beverage.

Very rarely did I get a full cup of soda. I got the normal amount of soda with a lot more room in my cup, as the ice wasn't adding volume. Which I'm fine with.

Just putting that out there. It's not like getting no ice automatically means you'll get a full cup of soda.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#326 Feb 26 2012 at 1:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,318 posts
What does "dissected into literacy" mean? Because if it were possible, I think we'd all be happy to help with that.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#327 Feb 26 2012 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,718 posts
I can't believe you people have managed to go on for a full 2 pages about the consistency of fast food soda dispensers.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#328 Feb 26 2012 at 1:40 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,047 posts
jophiel wrote:
Except the cups are, in fact, designed to hold increasing ounces of soda. That's an even less difficult concept and here you are stumbling all over with it apparently confused as ****.


Of course the cups are designed to hold varying ounces of soda. That's why varying amounts of ice is used to make up the difference. The simple fact that one cup is significantly larger than the other, no one actually stops and wonders on how much more of a drink they are actually getting. They assume it's significantly more due to the size of the cups, hence my point.

You are clearly the one stumbling over something that is blatantly obvious.

jophiel wrote:
You dumped your ice in AFTER putting soda in the cup? I guess you were retarded. Have fun with soda all over your hands


When I make my own drinks, I put in the ice first. However, if your goal is to fill the cup up with as much as possible, you actually put a little bit of ice in first, then hit the button then finish it off with ice. If you can't see any drink, then you might skeet a little bit more.

Johiel wrote:

For some reason you seem to think you can give ***-stupid accounts of how things are done there and people will blindly believe you, all common sense to the contrary.


Well given that you haven't listed one thing that would fit in that category, I don't see this is relevant.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#329 Feb 26 2012 at 1:45 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,476 posts
Quote:
When I make my own drinks, I put in the ice first. However, if your goal is to fill the cup up with as much as possible, you actually put a little bit of ice in first, then hit the button then finish it off with ice. If you can't see any drink, then you might skeet a little bit more.


Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#330 Feb 26 2012 at 2:03 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,954 posts
Yeah, no. Putting ice in after ensures waste, because it's definitely going to splash out. That means the sides of the cup will be sticky as well, which is definitely not satisfying for the customer.

Plenty of companies put fill lines on the bottom of the cup, so employees know how much ice to put in. And the cups aren't designed to be filled to the brim in the first place.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#331 Feb 26 2012 at 2:07 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,047 posts
Samira wrote:
What does "dissected into literacy" mean? Because if it were possible, I think we'd all be happy to help with that.



'Twas a slight exaggeration. What I meant was that my comment was taken out of proportion. I merely meant that money was saved by serving something different. I was not going into the details on the difference, how the machines work, etc. When I said "diluted", I was comparing McD's Soda to a store bought soda, not McD's soda to some other form of McD's soda.

I can see how it was misunderstood, but that goes back to my point on how you all can take something so irrelevant so literal but not for something that actually matters to people.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#332 Feb 26 2012 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I've never been that excited about not seeing soda in my cup that I skeeted. But that's just my experience.
____________________________
Banh
#333 Feb 26 2012 at 3:05 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,643 posts
I worked at Sonic my entire high school career, and part of my college career. Never did a route 44 button at the fountain fill a small cup. Nor did the "large" button. And the "small" button did not come close to filling a large cup.

Also: most fast food places (where you can actually eat inside) have you fill your own cup with ice and soda, so it's not like this discussion is even relevant....
#334 Feb 26 2012 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
I can't believe you people have managed to go on for a full 2 pages about the consistency of fast food soda dispensers.


Liar.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#335 Feb 26 2012 at 5:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
Of course the cups are designed to hold varying ounces of soda. That's why varying amounts of ice is used to make up the difference.

The same percentage of ice is used per cup. Unless your argument is that they pack tons of ice into a large cup and no ice into a small cup which would be patently stupid.

Quote:
When I make my own drinks, I put in the ice first.

Did you or did you not fill cups by putting in the soda first and then dumping ice in afterward into the soda?

Mind you, this is stupid on multiple levels but you seem to be hinging your comments on it. I just want to be clear that this is what you did as a matter of procedure.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#336 Feb 26 2012 at 5:22 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,643 posts
At home, I always put the liquid in the cup, then drop the ice in. This is an incredibly old habit that I picked up from when I was young and didn't understand mass. I would ask my mom if I could have a pop, and she'd say I could have one glass, but that's it. So I'd pour the pop in first, then put the ice in, and thought that way I got more because I could see the level of the liquid rise in the glass when I put the ice in.

I was devastated when I learned that it was just the liquid being displaced by the ice.

I was not a very bright child, but I was an imaginative child. To this day, I still put the ice in last. I would say it's to remind myself humility, but really, it's just a habit now.
#337 Feb 26 2012 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Yeah, but a 44oz cup holds more volume than a 12oz cup. 32oz more volume to be exact. That would be, in fact, the reason why they're labeled in ounces capacity and not with vague descriptors such as "Tall & Thin" and "Short & Wide".

SCIENCE!


Ok, let me break it down for you..

Since people automatically assume that "taller" is always "more", they don't realize that they can get the same amount of coke in a 12 oz without ice as they can with a 44 oz with ice. When you look at the two cups side by side, it isn't palpable. It's really not a hard concept to understand.

Fucking Archimedes' principle, how does it work?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#338 Feb 26 2012 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,586 posts
Belkira wrote:
Also: most fast food places (where you can actually eat inside) have you fill your own cup with ice and soda, so it's not like this discussion is even relevant....

It's relevant for drive through orders.
#339 Feb 26 2012 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,718 posts
Kavekk wrote:
BrownDuck wrote:
I can't believe you people have managed to go on for a full 2 pages about the consistency of fast food soda dispensers.


Liar.


OK it was more of a rhetorical observation, rather than a statement of truth.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#340 Feb 27 2012 at 4:13 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,876 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
I can't believe you people have managed to go on for a full 2 pages about the consistency of fast food soda dispensers.


Oh come now! You sure as **** can, or you don't know us as well as you think you do.


Joph pretty much hit the exact points I was going to say (or repeat, or resay, or whatever). Every system I've ever worked with used compressed CO2 and worked on a vacuum pump type of deal. You don't change the syrup boxes until they start making crazy noises cause there's no syrup. It takes like 10 seconds to change them anyway. The vendors adjust the brixers, and while it's possible for some owner to decide to tweak with them to save himself a couple bucks a month, usually if they're out of whack it's just because they get out of whack every once in awhile. I suppose if the guy pouring the drink doesn't pay attention, it's possible to give a customer a drink absent sufficient syrup (right when the box goes dry). Usually, it's noticeable though, but never underestimate the incompetence of someone working the drink station at a fast food place.

The only thing I really have to add is that the whole "with or without ice" thing Alma's trying to make a big deal about only exists at the fountains that the actual employees use. They may have a button that is calibrated for different size cups. And they'll dispense an amount which assumes a preset amount of ice has also been put into the cup. So yes, if you order your drink with no ice, you will not get a drink that's filled with soda, but one that's the same amount of soda, just with less ice. But this isn't because of some evil plot by the owner to ***** you out of that tiny bit of soda, but because the employees are assumed to be too stupid or incompetent to operate a soda machine properly. That's what the buttons are for.


The fountains in the customer area don't have those buttons. If you want a drink with no ice, there's nothing preventing you from filling it all the way to the top. If saving that tiny bit of syrup was really worth doing, those machines wouldn't allow for free flow of the drinks.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#341 Feb 27 2012 at 4:23 PM Rating: Good
******
21,718 posts
gbaji wrote:
The only thing I really have to add is that the whole "with or without ice" thing Alma's trying to make a big deal about only exists at the fountains that the actual employees use. They may have a button that is calibrated for different size cups. And they'll dispense an amount which assumes a preset amount of ice has also been put into the cup. So yes, if you order your drink with no ice, you will not get a drink that's filled with soda, but one that's the same amount of soda, just with less ice.


And unless the fast food person is a complete idiot or the shift manager is a tyrant, they usually press the manual dispense button to fill the cup the rest of the way. If they don't, I'm the type of person to remove the lid and suggest they fill the cup.

Quote:
But this isn't because of some evil plot by the owner to ***** you out of that tiny bit of soda, but because the employees are assumed to be too stupid or incompetent to operate a soda machine properly.


Actually it is a plot by the owners (or rather, the corporations behind the owners) to ***** you out of that last bit of soda. It's been about 16 years since I worked fast food, but I distinctly remember (on multiple occasions, before the soda machines were automated) the regional supervisor pulling back a drink that was halfway through the drive-thru window for the sole purpose of lecturing the employee (and possibly the shift manager) about not putting enough ice or overfilling the cup. The planners that institute the policies behind these magical dispensers know full well exactly how much (or little) soda they can get away with selling per a given cup size, and in their ideal world, not a drop more is sold. Even at the cost of a mere penny, a million drinks sold with 3oz less might save $10,000.

It's the same reason they're supposed to charge you extra for that 1-2 more ketchup packets or extra barbecue sauce you specifically request at the counter / window.

____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#342 Feb 27 2012 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,876 posts
Welcome to the thread Brownduck. Sucker!!! ;)

Maybe 16 years ago, there was some idiot who thought that saving a few pennies on syrup was worth the effort, but pretty much every single place that serves any sort of soda has long sense realized that the cost is so low that it's more beneficial to give the customers whatever they want on soda. That's why pretty much every place has customer self-serve fountains now. They hand you a cup and you can refill as much as you like.

Why on earth would anyone spend any effort maximizing the soda/water ratio in the cup when they're letting their customers have as many refills as they want anyway?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#343 Feb 27 2012 at 4:42 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,718 posts
gbaji wrote:
Why on earth would anyone spend any effort maximizing the soda/water ratio in the cup when they're letting their customers have as many refills as they want anyway?


You're assuming that a majority of fast food customers actually go inside the restaurant.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#344 Feb 27 2012 at 4:53 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,586 posts
No he's not. If you're a drive through customer and complain that you got the wrong drink, then they'll replace it for you for free. If they don't, then they've got retarded managers.

As most everyone has said before, the soda part of a drink is largely immaterial to businesses. No non-idiot is trying to scrimp on soda by tweaking the nozzle dispense ratio or giving you too much ice. If you feel you're getting a lot of ice in your drinks, that's because the company believes that's how much ice the typical person wants. If the syrup to soda water ratio is off it's because the machine has not been calibrated correctly. The economic gain by pleasing customers from serving a consistent product far outweighs the thousandth of a penny saved by trying to cheat them.

Edited, Feb 27th 2012 4:59pm by Allegory
#345 Feb 27 2012 at 6:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
gbaji wrote:
BrownDuck wrote:
I can't believe you people have managed to go on for a full 2 pages about the consistency of fast food soda dispensers.


Oh come now! You sure as **** can, or you don't know us as well as you think you do.


Joph pretty much hit the exact points I was going to say (or repeat, or resay, or whatever). Every system I've ever worked with used compressed CO2 and worked on a vacuum pump type of deal. You don't change the syrup boxes until they start making crazy noises cause there's no syrup. It takes like 10 seconds to change them anyway. The vendors adjust the brixers, and while it's possible for some owner to decide to tweak with them to save himself a couple bucks a month, usually if they're out of whack it's just because they get out of whack every once in awhile.

I'm not Joph Smiley: mad
#346 Feb 27 2012 at 6:43 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,876 posts
Nadenu wrote:
I'm not Joph Smiley: mad


Everyone is Joph. Smiley: smile
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#347 Feb 27 2012 at 6:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
I'm not Joph Smiley: mad
Everyone is Joph. Smiley: smile

What Joph said.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#348 Feb 27 2012 at 7:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,318 posts
Being Joph Malkovich.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#349 Feb 28 2012 at 1:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,052 posts
Somewhat unrelated, but this is Jophiel with a mink fur coat.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#350 Feb 28 2012 at 7:52 AM Rating: Good
******
44,314 posts
Injophtion.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#351 Feb 28 2012 at 8:19 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
Man you outta see that little ol Juke Joint Joph.



Joph joph joph joph, joph joph joph joph.....

Edited, Feb 28th 2012 3:20pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 43 All times are in CST
Timelordwho, TirithRR, Uglysasquatch, Anonymous Guests (40)