Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Peeing on Afghans is A-OK by Perry.Follow

#102 Jan 25 2012 at 8:46 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Just being left alone is victory enough sometimes.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#103 Jan 25 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Stop trying to think.

This pretty much sums you up as a person.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#104Almalieque, Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 11:24 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) So, I figured that I would share this. So, at work, it's been pretty slow and I've been engaging in "debates" with the Military Intelligence officer (who is stereotypically as nerdy as Signal Officers). Within in a short time, we covered religion/creation of the universe, abortion and some less "hot topics". We didn't necessarily agree, but yet somehow everything was understood and ended at a mutual understanding/agreement.
#105 Jan 25 2012 at 11:28 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Ahh yes, the generic "MIo" that you claim said so and so and so is so much more reliable proof of your argument's validity than the dozen people who's written word can be found by a simple button press! Just like how right you were when you said changing to officer would cause a pay cut because "all the people who jumped to the dark side said so," right? Tell us about your "girlfriend" who lives in another country next. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#106 Jan 25 2012 at 11:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
We didn't necessarily agree, but yet somehow everything was understood and ended at a mutual understanding/agreement.
[...]
Funny how those outcomes NEVER come out with you guys.... But, I'm sure it's me..... of course it is...Smiley: lol

You tell me, when in these threads did you "agree to disagree" and end the thread with mutual agreement?

Ah, right...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#107 Jan 25 2012 at 11:43 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Ahh yes, the generic "MIo" that you claim said so and so and so is so much more reliable proof of your argument's validity than the dozen people who's written word can be found by a simple button press! Just like how right you were when you said changing to officer would cause a pay cut because "all the people who jumped to the dark side said so," right? Tell us about your "girlfriend" who lives in another country next. Smiley: laugh


I admitted to being wrong. I just went from my experiences. I never heard anyone say what you said ever. That was true because what you said was complete and utter BS that you made up. Nice try on trying to put that on me....
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#108Almalieque, Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 11:43 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That's kind of the point....
#109 Jan 25 2012 at 11:46 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Smiley: laugh!! Yeah, my saying "there is no paycut to changing" was complete and utter BS, even though it turned out to be 100% true! You know, exactly like I said? But hey, what do I know? I only work with payrolls and contracts and stuff as a recruiter. Brilliant, ya got me there Scruffy.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 12:47pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#110 Jan 25 2012 at 11:48 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Smiley: laugh!! Yeah, my saying "there is no paycut to changing" was complete and utter BS, even though it turned out to be 100% true! You know, exactly like I said? Brilliant, ya got me there Scruffy.


I do recall you stating something along the lines that you keep your current pay until your new rank and pay caught up with your previous pay. That's utter BS, because since you always get a "raise", your "current pay" would be a paycut..

Nice try...
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#111 Jan 25 2012 at 11:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
We didn't necessarily agree, but yet somehow everything was understood and ended at a mutual understanding/agreement.
[...]
Funny how those outcomes NEVER come out with you guys.... But, I'm sure it's me..... of course it is...Smiley: lol

You tell me, when in these threads did you "agree to disagree" and end the thread with mutual agreement?

Ah, right...


That's kind of the point....


That you're the problem?

Excellent. I'm glad you understand what a cunt you are.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 11:49am by Belkira
____________________________
Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007) wrote:
I am eternally grateful.. for my knack of finding in great books, some of them very funny books, reason enough to feel honored to be alive, no matter what else might be going on.
#112 Jan 25 2012 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Guys, guess what? I just talked to my friend Frank, who's a staunch social conservative. We got to talking about a whole bunch of issues, like DADT, gay marriage, and the pros/cons of peeing on native peoples.

After talking with him for a while, he realized the error of his logic, and came around to my way of thinking. Then he gave me $25 and came out of the closet. Funny how that never happens with certain people on this forum...

PS: I brought up some of the arguments put forth by those certain people here, and just like every person I've mentioned them to, he had a big ol' laugh and called them sad, sad wastes of the gift of life.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 12:50pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#113Almalieque, Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 11:52 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) The funniest thing about this, people still believe the stuff I say are lies. I have never lied once (to my recollection) on this forum. So, it's funny how you believe these people from the past 8 years are all imaginary. And you claim that I'm denial...
#114 Jan 25 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
You're lying to yourself, Alma.



You're lying to yourself.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#115 Jan 25 2012 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Oh god I'm laughing to death here at how little Alma knows about the military, and how hard he's trying to spin to save face. Ahh, classic. Yes, I said you don't get a pay cut, I said you get the higher pay, and should the higher pay be higher than the current rank than you continue to make the higher pay until the rank pay catches up. I said it here and here, and now a third time in this thread. I'm sure the Five Star General you just finished talking to is telling you that, although I just provided links to exactly what I said (that you make the higher pay, and if that is the older rank than that's the pay you make), that I didn't actually say that.

Ahh, my stomach hurts from laughing.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 12:59pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#116 Jan 25 2012 at 12:02 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I'm sure the Five Star General you just finished talking to is telling you that, although I just provided links to exactly what I said (that you make the higher pay, and if that is the older rank than that's the pay you make), that I didn't actually say that.

Ahh, my stomach hurts from laughing.


I just imagined Alma as a basement-dwelling nerd, dressed up in full officer gear that he bought at the Army/Navy store, being consoled by an imaginary naked General Patton with butterfly wings that floats next to his head.

He reassures Alma that nobody suspects a thing. Then he tells him to put on his mom's clothes and dance to The Cure.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#117 Jan 25 2012 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Are you doubting the word of the Twelve Star Sergeant Major of the Army, Eske?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#118Almalieque, Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 12:09 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) WRONG.. If you're so sure of yourself.. Use the current paychart and give me an example of where a NCO would take a paycut.
#119 Jan 25 2012 at 12:11 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
No, you show me where changing to an officer would result in a paycut, since that was your claim*. My claim was you'd never get a paycut. I'm not doing your work for you. Thanks, I had almost recovered from the last bout of laughter, and now I have more.

* Sorry, that's wrong. It was your and "every NCO who jumped to the dark side you spoke with" 's claim.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 1:14pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#120 Jan 25 2012 at 12:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,669 posts
Alma, do you even understand English?

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 2:18pm by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#121 Jan 25 2012 at 12:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,160 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
I'm sure the Five Star General you just finished talking to is telling you that, although I just provided links to exactly what I said (that you make the higher pay, and if that is the older rank than that's the pay you make), that I didn't actually say that.

Ahh, my stomach hurts from laughing.


I just imagined Alma as a basement-dwelling nerd, dressed up in full officer gear that he bought at the Army/Navy store, being consoled by an imaginary naked General Patton with butterfly wings that floats next to his head.

He reassures Alma that nobody suspects a thing. Then he tells him to put on his mom's clothes and dance to The Cure.
Screenshot
____________________________
Banh
#122 Jan 25 2012 at 12:32 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Alma, do you even understand English?
He's got flashcards for that.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#123 Jan 25 2012 at 12:36 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Sir Spoonless wrote:
Screenshot


Hah! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#124 Jan 25 2012 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,669 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Alma, do you even understand English?
He's got flashcards for that.
They're not working.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#125Almalieque, Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 2:51 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I gave an accurate answer.. The reality is, the difference is minor and no one pays attention. Everyone said that we would be making less money in KU as opposed to in IZ, yet after checking my LES, I actually made more than last month due to the annual raise. So, if you think it's impossible for a number of people to be wrong on how much money they earn, then you're sadly mistaken. I was told by my previous boss that "officers shouldn't look for payday", because I was excited for payday.
#126 Jan 25 2012 at 3:00 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
If by accurate you mean completely and one hundred million percent wrong, then sure. Your answer was "accurate." In that it was the exact opposite of accurate. Adding this: No, really. If you're too stupid to understand the basic English that I laid on you, which any new recruit that comes into my office and asks understands easily, that's your problem. Hell, all the military layman in this forum figured it out pretty easily. So it's just you, all those NCOs you "spoke to" that said they all got paycuts (chuckle), the MIo you say agrees with you as well, and the Ninety-Seven Star Super Colonel General that just walked in to agree with you, that don't get it.

It's a good thing you're not in any position that requires real thought and intelligence, or all those soldiers would be as good as dead. Smiley: frown

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 4:21pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#127 Jan 25 2012 at 3:37 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,369 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
That .0001% is usually the difference between indifference of the soldiers and lobbing mortars into a base.


Doubtful. Anyone angered enough by it to take violent action was almost certainly already on the "side" of the folks who got peed on and would have acted violently anyway. Everyone else is like "Yeah, that's not a very nice thing to do. Lets go get a beer".
There's this thing called the middle ground.


There's also this thing called reading comprehension.

Quote:
Those not involved in the fighting and never will be. The type of people who, if treated fairly, would help the US soldiers with information, albeit, maybe only small bits. Those people would look at this and think a good old GFY is in order. Those that think, "I don't like the Taliban, but I hate the US more."


Yup. And those people are unlikely to progress from ambivalence (or even willingness to help) to "lobbing mortars" at us just because some of our soldiers peed on some guys they'd killed. They are most likely to simply *not* help us. I've never said that there are no negative consequences, nor do I think there should be. I'm simply responding to claims that this will have some significant effect on violence towards us.


It wont. As I said above, those who'd take such offense at this that it would drive them to engage in violence were already well on their way there anyway.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#128 Jan 25 2012 at 3:39 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
gbaji wrote:
And those people are unlikely to progress from ambivalence (or even willingness to help) to "lobbing mortars" at us just because some of our soldiers peed on some guys they'd killed.
I know Romney told you otherwise, but it actually takes very little to go from ambivalence to suicide bombing over there.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#129 Jan 25 2012 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,517 posts
Except that this issue blew up because that's exactly what happened.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#130 Jan 25 2012 at 4:00 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,369 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
And those people are unlikely to progress from ambivalence (or even willingness to help) to "lobbing mortars" at us just because some of our soldiers peed on some guys they'd killed.
I know Romney told you otherwise, but it actually takes very little to go from ambivalence to suicide bombing over there.


I know it's a popular means to dismiss someone's position by insisting (repeatedly apparently) that they're just parroting what someone else said, but I honestly would never have heard of this issue at all if it wasn't for this thread. I'm certainly not repeating something I heard. I'm basing my position on an apparently rare ability to assess the responses of most people to something like this.

Most people will say "tsk tsk". They might even demand an apology. That's about it. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that very many people would not turn to violence when we run around with our military in their country, still not turn to violence when overthrow their current leaders and replace them with ones more friendly to us, still not turn to violence when we bomb villages and what little infrastructure they have, still not turn to violence when we impose curfews, still not turn to violence as their mobility within their own country is limited by armed soldiers at checkpoints, still not turn to violence when we kill their fellow countrymen, but learning that some soldiers peed on the body of someone they killed will be the magical trigger that sets them off on a course of violence.


That's silly enough for one person to say, and shocking that so many people seem hell bent on defending it.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#131 Jan 25 2012 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
gbaji wrote:
but I just don't believe
That's where your problem is. It seems to be a major problem with you, but that's neither here nor there. You base your worldview on your opinion only. You're using your beliefs to analyze their culture and their situation and their beliefs and how they'll react, and discounting historical evidence that disagrees with you soundly. It's really far from what you would believe. Convoys get attacked because they stopped at a town and one of the male soldiers looked at one of the females for too long. That's all, just looked at and boom. You've ever seen a mob of people go from indifferent to violent simply because someone grab an arm that was trying to slap them?

I don't doubt for a second the video is being circulated, with narration about how their innocent countrymen are being murdered and desecrated. Like I said, I know you've been told to downplay it to the best of your ability, and like a good little soldier you're going to do that, but to even pretend that the video isn't going to be used (and has already, mind you) as more tools to incite violence against us makes you a stupid fuck.

Edited, Jan 25th 2012 5:15pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#132 Jan 25 2012 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,517 posts
Lolgaxe beat me to it.

All your posts demonstrate is what little cultural sensitivity you have. Values aren't universal--your opinion on whether or not something is important means nothing in a different cultural context.

Guess what! Just because it wouldn't be a significant trigger for you doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a significant trigger in many other parts of the world. Remember when we killed Osama bin Laden? We gave him a burial at sea for three reasons. 1, it was a proper burial under Islamic law. 2, It meant that we didn't have to worry about some idiots desecrating his grave and seriously damaging US-Islamic relations. 3, It meant that his grave wouldn't become a rallying point for Islamic extremists.

All three of those reasons were significant and important.

Under Islamic law, desecrating a body is one of the worst crimes a human might commit. It was actually a law declared by Muhammad himself, and the fact that extremist groups do it is a significant part of what alienates them from more moderate muslims.

Thing is, once we start doing it too, all we do is set ourselves up as an equally evil entity. We want to appear to them as the antithesis of extremists to Muslims, so as to gain their support. We can't do that if we are violating some of their most important moral laws in disgusting and depraved ways.

You might not care. But to pretend like the most important party in this context wouldn't is asinine.


Edited, Jan 25th 2012 5:18pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#133 Jan 25 2012 at 5:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,277 posts
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
And those people are unlikely to progress from ambivalence (or even willingness to help) to "lobbing mortars" at us just because some of our soldiers peed on some guys they'd killed.
I know Romney told you otherwise, but it actually takes very little to go from ambivalence to suicide bombing over there.


I know it's a popular means to dismiss someone's position by insisting (repeatedly apparently) that they're just parroting what someone else said, but I honestly would never have heard of this issue at all if it wasn't for this thread.

Wow, you really *don't* get your news from anywhere. For a few days there, you couldn't watch any news show without hearing about this.
#134 Jan 25 2012 at 7:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,132 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Alma, do you even understand English?



If he did, he wouldn't need the flash cards.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#135 Jan 25 2012 at 8:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
I know it's a popular means to dismiss someone's position by insisting (repeatedly apparently) that they're just parroting what someone else said, but I honestly would never have heard of this issue at all if it wasn't for this thread. I'm certainly not repeating something I heard.

You know what? I believe you.

I figure someone as deeply indoctrinated as you doesn't need a daily memo to be able to spout the party line like a little wind-up toy Smiley: smile

Quote:
I'm basing my position on an apparently rare ability to assess the responses of most people to something like this.

It's not so rare. For instance, I've been able to assess your responses and determine that you're a precious little puppet for the GOP.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#136 Jan 25 2012 at 11:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,894 posts
For starters the worldview, thought processes and general types of reactions of illiterate people (most Afghanis) are often very different from literate people (most Europeans).

Illiterate people usually have extraordinary memorisation skills compared to literate people.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#137Almalieque, Posted: Jan 26 2012 at 5:32 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Sooooo. Where is that example of a NCO making less money becoming an officer as you claim? Here, let me help you out. Here is the 2012 pay chart, please point out a scenario where that would be true.
#138Almalieque, Posted: Jan 26 2012 at 5:37 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Those convoys are most likely attacked for simply being there. I came in at the end and we were attacked a hand full of times and we were focusing on leaving. I'm not denying that there isn't any increase of violence for such activities, but there is no evidence suggesting that they wouldn't have done it anyway... Especially, given the fact that they are "at war".
#139 Jan 26 2012 at 7:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Next time, pee on some graves before you leave & see what happens.

Please.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#140 Jan 26 2012 at 8:15 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Alma wrote:
Where is that example of a NCO making less money becoming an officer as you claim?
That was your claim, sweety. You're too stupid to even attempt to shift blame for your idiocy. Maybe you should make flashcards to help you remember what your own arguments are?

Edited, Jan 26th 2012 9:18am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#141 Jan 26 2012 at 10:46 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,098 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Most states it would be two years prison and $500 maximum. Not having my books with me, I'm "pretty sure" it would also include a reduction in rank and at least a less-than-honorable discharge as far as UCMJ is concerned.




Depends how the court-martial directs. There isn't really "mandatory" punishments in the military court system only maximum punishments. The same charge on separate occasions could have different awards. In this example the accused would be charged with Articles 134, 133, 117, 98, 93, 92, and the cameraman would possibly get hit with article 78.

You have to watch the wording "As a court-martial may direct". The military courts could very well just defer this to NJP (non-judicial punishment) in which case their CO could slap them on the hands and call it a day. Or he can give them an OTH (other than honorable) discharge. Considering the amount of publicity this has gotten it is unlikely the courts will defer to NJP.


That said, it's a perfectly good waste of urine; I would have used pig blood.


-NW
____________________________
The Pessimist: A person who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.
#142 Jan 26 2012 at 10:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,669 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Alma wrote:
Where is that example of a NCO making less money becoming an officer as you claim?
That was your claim, sweety.
New leap/twist/denial in 3...2...1...
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#143 Jan 26 2012 at 2:53 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,369 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
but I just don't believe
That's where your problem is. It seems to be a major problem with you, but that's neither here nor there. You base your worldview on your opinion only.


Funny. I was thinking the same thing about you. You don't think you're at all projecting maybe? You're not judging others actions based on how you perceive things? You're the one with the image of these people as just being a hairs breadth away from blowing things up, so that something like this sets them off. But does it occur to you that most of the people living in that part of the world aren't actually like that?

Your own attempts to appear worldly show how narrow focused you really are. If you honestly saw the people in that region as more than the stereotypes you've been taught, you'd realize just how silly (and frankly offensive) you are being. You honestly assume that they are innately more prone to violence than we are? You've bought the propaganda.

Quote:
You're using your beliefs to analyze their culture and their situation and their beliefs and how they'll react, and discounting historical evidence that disagrees with you soundly.


No. You are. The problem is that the "historical evidence" you base your assumptions on is the narrow view you have of those people based on what you see on your TV screen.

Quote:
It's really far from what you would believe. Convoys get attacked because they stopped at a town and one of the male soldiers looked at one of the females for too long. That's all, just looked at and boom. You've ever seen a mob of people go from indifferent to violent simply because someone grab an arm that was trying to slap them?


Uh huh. Perfect example. Your TV doesn't show you all the times that people *don't* get violent at such minor things, so your perception of the likely response is skewed. You think what you see on TV is "typical" behavior? Anywhere? Wow. Just... wow.

Quote:
I don't doubt for a second the video is being circulated, with narration about how their innocent countrymen are being murdered and desecrated.


And I'm sure that there will be some small number of fools who will also think that what they're seeing is "typical". See how that's a problem?

Quote:
Like I said, I know you've been told to downplay it to the best of your ability, and like a good little soldier you're going to do that, but to even pretend that the video isn't going to be used (and has already, mind you) as more tools to incite violence against us makes you a stupid fuck.


It's amazing how you see brainwashing and manipulation everywhere except in your own perceptions of things. You're like a case study of obliviousness.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#144 Jan 26 2012 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
gbaji wrote:
A defensive, thoughtless pile of garbage


It's pretty obvious to me (and everyone else save you, in all likelihood) that the context of the conversation was about people who already have the capacity for a violent reaction, and not a generalization about the entire middle eastern world. By trying to paint lolgaxe as some kind of bigot, you're just showing that you've lost your tenuous grasp of what on earth's being discussed. Par for the course, that.

It's not a stretch that some could take to violence based on such inciting. Never know what straw will break the camel's back. And it only takes one to cause very detrimental negative consequences to those soldier's actions. Of course, there are plenty of other reasons that it was a bad idea, and they should be duly punished for it.

Edited, Jan 26th 2012 4:06pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#145 Jan 26 2012 at 3:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Funny. I was thinking the same thing about you. You don't think you're at all projecting maybe?

Funny how often you have to run to that line.

Most of us outgrew "I'm rubber and you're glue" sometimes around the 3rd grade. I guess others hold it as sacred gospel to defend their ideology for life.

Edited, Jan 26th 2012 3:29pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#146 Jan 26 2012 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
gbaji wrote:
You don't think you're at all projecting maybe?
I am using my three years experience there. What are you using as the basis for your belief? I'll wait.
gbaji wrote:
If you honestly saw the people in that region as more than the stereotypes you've been taught, you'd realize just how silly (and frankly offensive) you are being.
If you honestly saw the people in that region at all, you'd realize just how stupid you are being. Smiley: smile
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#147 Jan 26 2012 at 4:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,277 posts
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
but I just don't believe
That's where your problem is. It seems to be a major problem with you, but that's neither here nor there. You base your worldview on your opinion only.


Funny. I was thinking the same thing about you. You don't think you're at all projecting maybe? You're not judging others actions based on how you perceive things? You're the one with the image of these people as just being a hairs breadth away from blowing things up, so that something like this sets them off. But does it occur to you that most of the people living in that part of the world aren't actually like that?

Your own attempts to appear worldly show how narrow focused you really are. If you honestly saw the people in that region as more than the stereotypes you've been taught, you'd realize just how silly (and frankly offensive) you are being. You honestly assume that they are innately more prone to violence than we are? You've bought the propaganda.

Quote:
You're using your beliefs to analyze their culture and their situation and their beliefs and how they'll react, and discounting historical evidence that disagrees with you soundly.


No. You are. The problem is that the "historical evidence" you base your assumptions on is the narrow view you have of those people based on what you see on your TV screen.

Quote:
It's really far from what you would believe. Convoys get attacked because they stopped at a town and one of the male soldiers looked at one of the females for too long. That's all, just looked at and boom. You've ever seen a mob of people go from indifferent to violent simply because someone grab an arm that was trying to slap them?


Uh huh. Perfect example. Your TV doesn't show you all the times that people *don't* get violent at such minor things, so your perception of the likely response is skewed. You think what you see on TV is "typical" behavior? Anywhere? Wow. Just... wow.

Quote:
I don't doubt for a second the video is being circulated, with narration about how their innocent countrymen are being murdered and desecrated.


And I'm sure that there will be some small number of fools who will also think that what they're seeing is "typical". See how that's a problem?

Quote:
Like I said, I know you've been told to downplay it to the best of your ability, and like a good little soldier you're going to do that, but to even pretend that the video isn't going to be used (and has already, mind you) as more tools to incite violence against us makes you a stupid fuck.


It's amazing how you see brainwashing and manipulation everywhere except in your own perceptions of things. You're like a case study of obliviousness.

So you've been over there and dealt with this first-hand, but lolgaxe hasn't?
#148 Jan 26 2012 at 5:04 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,139 posts
Geraldo's coverage from a hotel was very comprehensive.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#149 Jan 26 2012 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,517 posts
I like how his only defense was to argue that we were making generalizations about every middle eastern person. Smiley: lol Especially when his argument was that everyone who would attack us over this was going to attack us anyway...
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#150 Jan 26 2012 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,831 posts
I think that the conditions that they have lived under for so long - constant infighting, invasions, occupation, martial law - lends a lot to some of these reactions. Most people just want to live their lives, and will try to continue doing so under some rather extreme circumstances. But, even after getting by as various armed forces battle to and fro, after keeping their heads down, trying to help whomever will leave them in a better situation, or just trying to stay out of the way...watching a group of soldiers blatantly disrespect some of their most honored traditions and literally piss on their dearly-held customs will make anyone GO COMPLETELY APESHIT.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#151 Jan 26 2012 at 8:08 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,369 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
gbaji wrote:
A defensive, thoughtless pile of garbage


It's pretty obvious to me (and everyone else save you, in all likelihood) that the context of the conversation was about people who already have the capacity for a violent reaction, and not a generalization about the entire middle eastern world.


Ah... Which is more or less exactly what I said back when this whole side argument started:

gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:

That .0001% is usually the difference between indifference of the soldiers and lobbing mortars into a base.
Quote:

Doubtful. Anyone angered enough by it to take violent action was almost certainly already on the "side" of the folks who got peed on and would have acted violently anyway. Everyone else is like "Yeah, that's not a very nice thing to do. Lets go get a beer".


And in case anyone was confused, I repeated it again:

gbaji wrote:
Yup. And those people are unlikely to progress from ambivalence (or even willingness to help) to "lobbing mortars" at us just because some of our soldiers peed on some guys they'd killed. They are most likely to simply *not* help us. I've never said that there are no negative consequences, nor do I think there should be. I'm simply responding to claims that this will have some significant effect on violence towards us.


It wont. As I said above, those who'd take such offense at this that it would drive them to engage in violence were already well on their way there anyway.


And just in case some were still confused, I repeated it yet again:

gbaji wrote:
Most people will say "tsk tsk". They might even demand an apology. That's about it. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that very many people would not turn to violence when we run around with our military in their country, still not turn to violence when overthrow their current leaders and replace them with ones more friendly to us, still not turn to violence when we bomb villages and what little infrastructure they have, still not turn to violence when we impose curfews, still not turn to violence as their mobility within their own country is limited by armed soldiers at checkpoints, still not turn to violence when we kill their fellow countrymen, but learning that some soldiers peed on the body of someone they killed will be the magical trigger that sets them off on a course of violence.


What part of my posts were unclear about this? I was talking about to what degree such an act would increase violence against us. It's not going to turn otherwise peaceful folks into suicide bombers. It might be used as a rationale for a specific attack, but by people who'd use something else for said rationale anyway.

Quote:
By trying to paint lolgaxe as some kind of bigot, you're just showing that you've lost your tenuous grasp of what on earth's being discussed.


When I argue that folks not inclined towards violence against us aren't going to start doing violence against us because of this incident and he insists that I'm wrong because I just don't understand how easily those Aghans become violent he's doing a great job of showing his bigotry without me needing to help him. Need I remind you of this little gem?

lolgaxe wrote:
You're using your beliefs to analyze their culture and their situation and their beliefs and how they'll react, and discounting historical evidence that disagrees with you soundly. It's really far from what you would believe. Convoys get attacked because they stopped at a town and one of the male soldiers looked at one of the females for too long. That's all, just looked at and boom. You've ever seen a mob of people go from indifferent to violent simply because someone grab an arm that was trying to slap them?


He's attributing the tendency towards responding to minor events with violence as an aspect of their culture. He's blaming me for not seeing his view of their cultural tendency towards easily provoked violence. You see no bigotry here? He's making the equivalent of saying "those darkies are all lazy and will rape your women if you don't watch out!". But he's not being bigoted. He's just got a better feel for the culture he's talking about.


Sorry. I disagree. I think he's no different than anyone who attributes characteristics to a group he's not super familiar with based solely on what he's heard about them on TV and in the papers. He's not doing it out of maliciousness. He's almost certainly not even aware that what he said was incredibly bigoted. But it doesn't change the fact that his responses are the result of a false perception about another culture.

Quote:
It's not a stretch that some could take to violence based on such inciting.


Some? Sure. But that some represents a very small percentage of the population. And that some represents almost exclusively those who were inclined towards such actions towards us anyway.

Quote:
Never know what straw will break the camel's back.


Sure. But at the risk of repeating myself, when you're one minor straw away from strapping bombs on yourself and killing some folks, that "last straw" will happen even if this event isn't it (or doesn't happen). It's somewhat absurd to insist that the entire rest of the world cease doing anything which might make someone upset because that one thing might just be that last straw.


[quote]And it only takes one to cause very detrimental negative consequences to those soldier's actions.


But don't you think someone for whom this is the tipping point to violence would find one pretty soon anyway? Sure. It wouldn't be that exact violence on that exact day for that exact reason. But it would be some other violence, on some other day, for some other reason. Do you think that if this event had not happened that anyone who might do violence because of it would otherwise have lived a peaceful life and never done anything violent ever?


You've got to have a pretty warped view of human behavior to think that this has any significant effect on violence over time in that region. That doesn't make it right, but I've never said it was. I just find the whole "OMG. Because of this, our soldiers and our allies will suffer more attacks!!!". The timing and stated reasons for the attacks may change, but total number over time? Probably not affected at all.

[quote]Of course, there are plenty of other reasons that it was a bad idea, and they should be duly punished for it.


Yeah. Which is more relevant to the original post. No one actually said it was "A-OK" (interesting how some feel the need to exaggerate and attack the exaggeration). My initial response was that we should make sure that the soldiers aren't scapegoated and end out suffering greater punishment than is normal for a crime of this nature. No one's arguing that they should get off scott free, or that what they did was just peachy.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 58 All times are in CDT
angrymnk, Bijou, stupidmonkey, Anonymous Guests (55)