Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply To Thread

Headpigeons!Follow

#1 Jan 06 2012 at 2:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Everyone's Oiran
*****
15,952 posts
I live on a street that consists mainly of little terrace houses with iron lacework built in the 1800's. A few of the blocks have been consolidated as a pair, and larger, modern double story houses built on the double-wide land. For ten years a nice Chinese man with two very cute and very nasty, white, curly-haired dogs lived on the corner. He'd take his dogs walking every evening, and stop and feed the pigeons. If I walked by him and he had his dogs, one in particular would growl and bare his teeth and lunge at me. And at everyone else. And at passing cars.

Eventually I heard that this man's pigeon -feeding was the basis of a neighbourhood feud. You see, no-one on the street has room for a garage. Everyone parks on the street, under large Plane trees that provide beautiful shade in the Summer. Not only do our sweet, large-eyed Australian possums run up and down the electrical wires, and in and out of the plane trees, and **** all over the cars below, but so do a large quantity of pigeons. Not ****. Poo. On the cars. Below.

Now, I have always enjoyed the sound of pigeons cooing outside. But apparently a lot of the neighbours were unhappy their cars received almost daily libations of pigeon poo. Now no-one was complaining about the possums because the huge quantity of possums around here are wild and shy and nocturnal and stay out of sight generally. But they had some-one to blame for the pigeons. Because some-one fed the pigeons.

It was a generally held truth that if the pigeons weren't fed, there would be far less of them around. Especially daily. I am a tiny bit dubious about this, because Melbourne has sparrows and pigeons like flying mice and rats, in general. However, some neighbours were greatly in earnest in blaming the pigeon-feeding-man for their car woes. This thought fed great wrath in their bosoms, and whenever the Chinese pigeon-feeding-man was out walking his dogs, he wound up almost daily being buttonholed by an irate neighbour or two who told him to stop feeding the pigeons. For ten years.

Pigeon Feeding man, instead of bowing to public pressure, decided to keep feeding the pigeons, and suffer a nervous breakdown instead, because he couldn't cope with years of neighbourly abuse, insults and finally threats to his property, personal safety and life. He really suffered under his nervous breakdown, and finally had to move away. That was two years ago, and I am reminded of the whole contretemps as I listen to the pigeon gently cooing outside my window right now.

Edited, Jan 6th 2012 3:54am by Aripyanfar
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#2 Jan 06 2012 at 2:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Wait. Is lolgaxe the neighbor and Alma the pigeon feeding man...? Does this mean we can expect a lovely nervous breakdown soon?

It's been so loooong....
#3 Jan 06 2012 at 4:10 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
That was a cute story and well written, made me smile. Smiley: grin
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#4 Jan 06 2012 at 6:36 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I take it the pigeons didn't move away wholesale when they stopped getting fed.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#5 Jan 06 2012 at 7:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,224 posts
There's a plaza not far from my house where people feed the pigeons. There's a posted sign saying not to, but whatever.

I only really notice more pigeons in the area when they're actually on the bricks eating whatever people have dropped for them.

On the other hand, the pigeon population as a whole has declined a bit (and gotten much healthier overall) since the peregrines came back.

I'm surprised the possums don't eat enough eggs to check the pigeon population there. Or maybe they do, dunno!
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#6 Jan 06 2012 at 7:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
SillyXSara wrote:
That was a cute story and well written, made me smile. Smiley: grin

Did you read to the end? Smiley: dubious
Quote:
Pigeon Feeding man, instead of bowing to public pressure, decided to keep feeding the pigeons, and suffer a nervous breakdown instead, because he couldn't cope with years of neighbourly abuse, insults and finally threats to his property, personal safety and life. He really suffered under his nervous breakdown, and finally had to move away.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#7 Jan 06 2012 at 7:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,361 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
SillyXSara wrote:
That was a cute story and well written, made me smile. Smiley: grin

Did you read to the end? Smiley: dubious
Quote:
Pigeon Feeding man, instead of bowing to public pressure, decided to keep feeding the pigeons, and suffer a nervous breakdown instead, because he couldn't cope with years of neighbourly abuse, insults and finally threats to his property, personal safety and life. He really suffered under his nervous breakdown, and finally had to move away.
Maybe SillyXSara really hates pigeons and thinks he deserves what he got?
#8 Jan 06 2012 at 8:12 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
Ari portrayed by Tippi Hedron.....


Whether or not feeding the birds caused more poo on the cars, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a guy that chooses to continue with the unnecessary practice despite the obvious discomfort he's causing his neighbors.

I doubt the birds were starving.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#9 Jan 06 2012 at 8:13 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,673 posts
Belkira wrote:
Wait. Is lolgaxe the neighbor and Alma the pigeon feeding man...?
I'd be the guy shooting the pigeons with a bb gun.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#10 Jan 06 2012 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Just go Tom Lehrer on them.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#11 Jan 06 2012 at 2:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Belkira wrote:
Wait. Is lolgaxe the neighbor and Alma the pigeon feeding man...? Does this mean we can expect a lovely nervous breakdown soon?

It's been so loooong....

No, the pigeons are Alma and the Chinese man is everyone that "debates" with him to keep him around here.
#12 Jan 06 2012 at 2:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Nadenu wrote:
Belkira wrote:
Wait. Is lolgaxe the neighbor and Alma the pigeon feeding man...? Does this mean we can expect a lovely nervous breakdown soon?

It's been so loooong....

No, the pigeons are Alma and the Chinese man is everyone that "debates" with him to keep him around here.


I like my version better...
#13 Jan 06 2012 at 6:06 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,212 posts
I deal with pigeons, seagulls, and starlings all the time at the harbor. Every once and a while I have to clean my uniform from a deposit. Every once in a while I also have to clean up the remains of a pigeon killed by one of the area falcons.
The restaurants in the area ask folks not to feed the birds around their outdoor seating.
____________________________
For Truth, Justice, and the Norrathian Way!
Tinkering is a trade skill which will not prevent the mobs from hitting you.
#14 Jan 06 2012 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
Sweet, a new word: contretemp.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#15 Jan 06 2012 at 7:28 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Elinda wrote:

Whether or not feeding the birds caused more poo on the cars, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a guy that chooses to continue with the unnecessary practice despite the obvious discomfort he's causing his neighbors.

I doubt the birds were starving.


I don't give a **** whether the birds were starving or whether the pore pore neighbours were "uncomfortable" with what he did -

They had no right to command him not to feed the birds - or harass him when he did.

I feel uncomfortable with people driving cars period - but hey, I just suck it up cause I have no right how to tell other people to live their lives. If they were traumatized by bird poo - boo frigging hoo.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#16 Jan 06 2012 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Elinda wrote:

Whether or not feeding the birds caused more poo on the cars, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a guy that chooses to continue with the unnecessary practice despite the obvious discomfort he's causing his neighbors.

I doubt the birds were starving.


I don't give a **** whether the birds were starving or whether the pore pore neighbours were "uncomfortable" with what he did -

They had no right to command him not to feed the birds - or harass him when he did.

I feel uncomfortable with people driving cars period - but hey, I just suck it up cause I have no right how to tell other people to live their lives. If they were traumatized by bird poo - boo frigging hoo.

Overreact much?
#17 Jan 06 2012 at 7:42 PM Rating: Default
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,853 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Elinda wrote:

Whether or not feeding the birds caused more poo on the cars, I don't have a lot of sympathy for a guy that chooses to continue with the unnecessary practice despite the obvious discomfort he's causing his neighbors.

I doubt the birds were starving.


I don't give a **** whether the birds were starving or whether the pore pore neighbours were "uncomfortable" with what he did -

They had no right to command him not to feed the birds - or harass him when he did.

I feel uncomfortable with people driving cars period - but hey, I just suck it up cause I have no right how to tell other people to live their lives. If they were traumatized by bird poo - boo frigging hoo.


Since it was their neighborhood as well, I'm pretty sure they had every right to ask him to stop. It's part of living in a neighborhood with other people.

And as far as the harassment when he did not stop, you wanna feel bad for the guy? sh*t goes both ways, I'm sure that they didn't start threatening him the first time he threw a handful of bread out to the birds, instead after the asked him to stop and he refused to, and then refused to over the years.

As for the feeding not being the reason they were there... I'm sure it made matters worse. There are hundreds of seagulls in the city I live, but there are none by my house. They congregate where there is food. If one of my neighbors started feeding them and luring them to my neighborhood, I'd be a little upset about the noise and seagull droppings. And just because they live in the general area doesn't mean that it wouldn't be my neighbor's fault that they were sh*tting on, and squawking around, my house and property.

Don't act like this crazy little man is some innocent victim here.

Edit:

Also, Head Pigeons.


Edited, Jan 6th 2012 8:46pm by TirithRR

Edited, Jan 9th 2012 8:19pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#18 Jan 06 2012 at 9:06 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Nadenu wrote:

Overreact much?


I live life to the fullest. What can I say?

Personally, I prefer it if people don't get into my business, and I don't get into theirs. I disagree with all sorts of things people do, and you know what, generally I don't even mention it, unless I think it is infringing upon their safety (a friend bicycling without a helmet for example).

Bullying someone because they're different (and yes, that includes differences like "thinks feeding birds is fine" vs "hates birds") is crap. The car is headed to the scrap heap in the end - if you don't want to clean bird poo off of it, don't own a car. Stop being such a victim. There is a world outside of your petty little preferences, and frankly it doesn't revolve around you.

Edited, Jan 6th 2012 7:13pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#19 Jan 06 2012 at 9:13 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
also the story made me cry a little. I am a big softie
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#20 Jan 06 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Default
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,853 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Bullying someone because they're different (and yes, that includes differences like "thinks feeding birds is fine" vs "hates birds") is crap. The car is headed to the scrap heap in the end - if you don't want to clean bird poo off of it, don't own a car. Stop being such a victim. There is a world outside of your petty little preferences, and frankly it doesn't revolve around you.


Yes, everyone in the neighborhood was wrong (even the ones not threatening/bullying him, just asking him to stop. I'm sure that everyone who wished he would stop wasn't out there bullying him). Not the old man being a stubborn *** to his neighbors.

When multiple people are angry at you for doing something repeatedly, there may be a chance that it's not them, it's you.


Olorinus wrote:
There is a world outside of your petty little preferences, and frankly it doesn't revolve around you.


This little quote here easily applies to the single old man who felt his preference to feed the birds every day was more important than the annoyance he was being to multiple neighbors.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#21 Jan 06 2012 at 9:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Olorinus wrote:
There is a world outside of your petty little preferences, and frankly it doesn't revolve around you.

Exactly.
#22Olorinus, Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 9:53 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) or to the birds, which are also living creatures, who frankly don't give a **** about the paint job on your car
#23 Jan 06 2012 at 11:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Meh, I think it's nice the guy stuck with it, but I hate that it caused him so much pain in the end.

He liked walking his dogs, and I imagine he grew attached to the birds, as well. It would be very difficult to continue walking your dog and see the birds get excited to see you and think you have food for them, and just walk by them. The birds don't understand, and they will stick around for quite a while waiting for him to feed them. For a bleeding heart like me, it would be difficult to see those birds waiting and waiting to be fed.

#24 Jan 06 2012 at 11:53 PM Rating: Good
Imaginary Friend
*****
16,057 posts


If it takes forever... I will wait for you... a thousand summers....

Smiley: cry
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#25 Jan 07 2012 at 1:56 AM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
*****
15,952 posts
OH GOD KELVEYQUayO YOU *******.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#26 Jan 07 2012 at 2:59 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
3,633 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
SillyXSara wrote:
That was a cute story and well written, made me smile. Smiley: grin

Did you read to the end? Smiley: dubious
Quote:
Pigeon Feeding man, instead of bowing to public pressure, decided to keep feeding the pigeons, and suffer a nervous breakdown instead, because he couldn't cope with years of neighbourly abuse, insults and finally threats to his property, personal safety and life. He really suffered under his nervous breakdown, and finally had to move away.
From the information given everyone over-reacted except our lovely story-teller so from the perspective of feeling sorry for no one I think it's funny that everyone lost and the way I read it all the characters were pretty comical. If it was written to convince me more that he was a sweet old man that tried to explain he cared for the pigeons maybe it would be sad but how I read it everyone was being silly.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 54 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (54)