Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Holiday TimeFollow

#1 Nov 22 2011 at 7:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
I'm tired and sick, already, of the sales, the shopping, the stuff we all gotta have and gotta buy. I dread the feeling I'm sure to get when my bank account starts crying at me.

It's too bad that even thanksgiving, the nice family/food-based unassuming holiday has to get caught up in the Christmas frenzy just because of timing.

I propose the two holidays be more separated by moving Christmas to February.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Nov 22 2011 at 8:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
We're going out for lunch for Thanksgiving at a golf club. We've done it before and it's nice because the food's right there and ready, everyone can stuff themselves all they want (buffet), it's a nice environment and there's no dishes or cleanup for us afterward. It helps that I see my family all the time anyway so I might feel differently about skipping the homebound dinner if I only saw them twice a year.

I am making a turkey though. Probably this weekend. We get too meals out of a bird to pass the opportunity up. We just won't have to pull out the nice plates to eat it.

To hijack your thread with feel-good sentiments, I'm thankful for the past year with a healthy and happy baby, my lovely wife and the rest of my family, that Flea and I have both had beneficial changes to our careers and that my sister and her family are safe after their house just caught fire (fortunately not too dire).

Edited, Nov 22nd 2011 8:27am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3 Nov 22 2011 at 8:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,742 posts
Elinda wrote:
I propose the two holidays be more separated by moving Christmas to February.
I don't know why you don't just make the move north by a few miles and apply to become a Canadian. You're already so close and want so much of what we already offer. Thanksgiving is supposed to be in mid-October, because we do things right (except for bagged milk).
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#4 Nov 22 2011 at 9:00 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Jophiel wrote:
We're going out for lunch for Thanksgiving at a golf club.

I think it was two t-days ago my daughter couldn't get home for thanksgiving cuz she had to work at midnight - she's about an 8-hour drive from us. I was really missing her so I made reservations for thanksgiving dinner at a place midway between her and us. We met in Springfield Mass at a German restaurant. I remember being a bit amazed at how many people were eating out. The place was packed.

It was kind of fun. The food was good, the drive wasn't bad. It was well worth it to have a meal with the kid. What bothered me the most was having to force down dessert right after dinner.

This year we're back to our traditional dinner at my sister-in-laws - and my daughter will not be with us again. But she'll be home for Christmas.



____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#5 Nov 22 2011 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I propose the two holidays be more separated by moving Christmas to February.
I don't know why you don't just make the move north by a few miles and apply to become a Canadian. You're already so close and want so much of what we already offer. Thanksgiving is supposed to be in mid-October, because we do things right (except for bagged milk).

Can you just apply to become a Canadian?

I got my first period in Manitoba - Could that make me a citizen. When I was 13 my Dad had taken us up to the top of the world to find those trophy Northerns. Four of us in our little camper on the shore of some lake up off the Churchill River - we're talking major wilderness here. It was an insanely miserable situation for me to be in - I think I've not quite forgiven my dad for that yet.



Edited, Nov 22nd 2011 4:14pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#6 Nov 22 2011 at 9:17 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,275 posts
I'd be more inclined to become Canadian if you guys forced all the French wannabes into the ocean, and waged war and conquered the top few US territories so I didn't have to move.

I was deployed last Thanksgiving, so I'm thankful for not being shot at, and for food that isn't just a single grade over dog food. Oh, and that family and friends junk. And alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. To deal with the family and friends that aren't already living in my house.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#7 Nov 22 2011 at 9:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Usually the alcohol is to deal with the friends & family who DO live in your house.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#8 Nov 22 2011 at 10:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,742 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I'd be more inclined to become Canadian if you guys forced all the French wannabes into the ocean, and waged war and conquered the top few US territories so I didn't have to move.
How about you guys keep working on those DoD cuts, eh?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#9 Nov 22 2011 at 10:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,991 posts
Elinda wrote:
I'm tired and sick, already, of the sales, the shopping, the stuff we all gotta have and gotta buy. I dread the feeling I'm sure to get when my bank account starts crying at me.

It's too bad that even thanksgiving, the nice family/food-based unassuming holiday has to get caught up in the Christmas frenzy just because of timing.

I propose the two holidays be more separated by moving Christmas to February.



I like these holidays. People tend to take time off of work, which means the client labs aren't doing much science. Which means even if I show up for work every day, there's less for me to do. I can get a holiday while working, and save my holiday hours for later. It's awesome. Smiley: grin
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#10 Nov 22 2011 at 10:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
I refuse to acknowledge Christmas until Thanksgiving is over. Sick laughs at me when I grumble under my breath hearing Christmas music after Halloween in stores. I want to anticipate and appreciate Thanksgiving first.

But it hasn't been too bad. We don't have cable so we're not inundated with sale commercials. I hate Black Friday and refuse to wake up at indecent hours, deal with asshat people and traffic, to get a good sale. So Im ignoring Christmas crap until Thursday and it's working for me!

____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
#11 Nov 22 2011 at 11:01 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
10,777 posts
Like DSD, I refuse to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving has passed and I've awoken from the turkey coma.

Thanksgiving is at my house and I'm not exactly sure who is coming. So I'm assuming that everyone is. So 2 hams, a turkey and a turducken will be made. 20 pounds of potatoes will be reduced to mashed potatoes and scalloped potatoes, 5 pounds of green beans and a pound of mushrooms will be made into a green bean casserole. There will be classic bread stuffing and cornbread stuffing. Corn on the cob, candied yams, cranberry sauce. And I hope I have time to make pancit.

Smiley: grin I love food.
#12 Nov 22 2011 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,013 posts
My sister-in-law (brother's wife) is one of those morons who will spend all day *Thursday* camping out at some store for the early Black Friday/Thursday Evening sales. The whole consumerism bit is totally destroying the idea of a family holiday. She originally wanted us to go watch her kids all day - fuck that business. I'm doing Thanksgiving at home with my family (and mother). Apparently I don't know how to grocery shop though, because when tasked with buying a turkey on sale I somehow ended up with a turkey-shaped package of breast meat. Still qualified for 300 bonus gas points though, so no harm done (I'm told).
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#13 Nov 22 2011 at 1:22 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Debalic wrote:
Apparently I don't know how to grocery shop though, because when tasked with buying a turkey on sale I somehow ended up with a turkey-shaped package of breast meat. Still qualified for 300 bonus gas points though, so no harm done (I'm told).

Everyone mostly likes the white meat anyways right? Mold some drumsticks out of tofu and you'll be golden.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#14 Nov 22 2011 at 1:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I like dark meat more [insert joke here]. More flavorful, in my opinion.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#15 Nov 22 2011 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I like dark meat more [insert joke here]. More flavorful, in my opinion.

You using that bacon lube?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#16 Nov 22 2011 at 1:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,742 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I like dark meat more [insert joke here]. More flavorful, in my opinion.
Agreed. White's good in a sandwich, but I'd rather dark otherwise.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#17 Nov 22 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
I'm no big fan of Thanksgiving myself. We're not super close with any family, and don't have any traditions. So absent that, it's just a day to eat a lot of good food and watch football, which one can pretty much do any Sunday.

Christmas was always awesome, but that was on account of my family making it a huge deal. Now that we don't associate with them we're down to just my fiancee's, and they just have a small, awkward dinner on Christmas day. We may decide to do a vacation instead.

Edited, Nov 22nd 2011 2:45pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#18 Nov 22 2011 at 1:59 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:

Christmas was always awesome, but that was on account of my family making it a huge deal. Now that we don't associate with them we're down to just my fiancee's,

You don't associate with your family?!

I've not been back to MN for Christmas since we moved in 92. It's just such an impossible time to travel between MN and ME. I miss them though. Smiley: frown
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#19 Nov 22 2011 at 2:22 PM Rating: Excellent
The Duck Whisperer
*****
15,512 posts
I'm going out of town to see my best friend during Thanksgiving, partially because I miss her and partially because I want to avoid family Thanksgiving.

I'll probably do the same for Christmas too. Wish I didn't feel obliged to celebrate it, because the inevitable ******** about how oppressed Christians are by the rest of the country, how Christmas is just not PC (as someone who works in retail, I really wish this were the case), talk about how Muslims will never be able to handle democracy, football watching and the inevitable tedious bitching about liberals makes it entirely unpalatable.
____________________________
Iamadam the Prophet wrote:

You know that feeling you get when you have a little bit of hope, only to have it ripped away? Sweetums feeds on that.
#20 Nov 22 2011 at 2:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Sweetums wrote:
I'm going out of town to see my best friend during Thanksgiving, partially because I miss her and partially because I want to avoid family Thanksgiving.

I'll probably do the same for Christmas too. Wish I didn't feel obliged to celebrate it, because the inevitable ******** about how oppressed Christians are by the rest of the country, how Christmas is just not PC (as someone who works in retail, I really wish this were the case), talk about how Muslims will never be able to handle democracy, football watching and the inevitable tedious bitching about liberals makes it entirely unpalatable.

You need to spike the green bean casserole with some magic mushrooms and take your family on a trip through hippy-land.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#21 Nov 22 2011 at 3:11 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,013 posts
Elinda wrote:
I've not been back to MN for Christmas since we moved in 92. It's just such an impossible time to travel between MN and ME. I miss them though. Smiley: frown

Really? That far north it's just a quick trip around the Arctic circle, right? Smiley: laugh
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#22 Nov 22 2011 at 3:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,355 posts
Elinda wrote:
I'm tired and sick, already, of the sales, the shopping, the stuff we all gotta have and gotta buy. I dread the feeling I'm sure to get when my bank account starts crying at me.

It's too bad that even thanksgiving, the nice family/food-based unassuming holiday has to get caught up in the Christmas frenzy just because of timing.

I propose the two holidays be more separated by moving Christmas to February.



why not move thanksgiving to the same time as Canada's thanksgiving, in October?

Also speaking of thanksgiving, I am thankful that I don't participate in most of the Christmas bullsh*t.

My partner and I don't do gifts - we told her family we are not doing gifts and I barely have a family (my grandma will probably send me a gift certificate for a bookstore) so I just shrug the whole **** thing off.

Edited, Nov 22nd 2011 1:15pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#23 Nov 22 2011 at 3:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
9,355 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
(except for bagged milk).


That must be some maritimer thing. I haven't seen bagged milk here since I was six.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#24 Nov 22 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
647 posts
I have a dislike for the holidays because of idiots that come in to work. It sucks working a job that is open 365 days a year. Then everybody who comes in on Thanksgiving/Christmas is sure to comment "Oh, how horrible that you have to work the holidays" Don't they realize I'm working because of people like them who come in?
#25 Nov 22 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:

Christmas was always awesome, but that was on account of my family making it a huge deal. Now that we don't associate with them we're down to just my fiancee's,

You don't associate with your family?!


Nah, had a big falling out with my parents back in...lessee...March? I feel like I mentioned it here at some point. Basically, I've never gotten along with my mom, and she wasn't getting along with the (then) girlfriend and (now) fiance. Dad has Mom's back, so unfortunately he's a casualty of war even though I do love him. His choice.

I speak to my brother once every couple of months or so. We've never talked often, so I guess you wouldn't say that we're close, but when we do speak we joke and rip on each other like we're best friends, so I'd say it's all fine on that front.



It's a bummer, but it's the way it had to be, so I've made my peace with it and moved along mentally.

Edited, Nov 22nd 2011 4:29pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#26 Nov 22 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Excellent
It turns out I'm working Thanksgiving after all.

I can't say that's a bad thing, though, as every year some civic/church group comes in, cooks like crazy and treats everyone like family. It's pretty awesome.

I'm thankful that my health/sight is still good enough to keep working at helping other people.Smiley: nod
____________________________
Allegory wrote:
Bijou your art is exceptionally creepy. It seems like their should be something menacing about it, yet no such tone is present.
#27 Nov 22 2011 at 5:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
31,875 posts
This year, my brother is hosting Thanksgiving. My family long ago decided to do more of a potluck style dinner, with the host making the turkey, stuffing, and general stuff, while each guest brings their own signature dish (or two). It always works out really well with tons of food. I'll be making my famous scalloped potatoes, of course, as well as a wine bag full of ciders.

I anticipate a serious turkey coma on Thursday. Should be fun!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#28 Nov 22 2011 at 8:50 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,013 posts
I'm not working on Thursday (banks are closed) but not only am I on for Friday, I also have to cover my co-worker's territory up in the Capital District. Though it's expected to be a slow day, if anything at all.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#29 Nov 23 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,856 posts
To celebrate the holiday and my upcoming birthday, I'm having a sale of all my jewelry on Etsy for %20 off. Just go to http://www.etsy.com/shop/ElneClare and use the unimaginative coupon code of Blackfriday. The coupon is good until my birthday on Dec 2.
____________________________
In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! -ElneClare

This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 82 All times are in CST
Altair, Kavekkk, Poldaran, Szabo, Anonymous Guests (78)