Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Affirmative ActionFollow

#27 Nov 18 2011 at 2:45 PM Rating: Good
******
49,673 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Tyler Perry is racist. That's what I got from this.
Tyler Perry's "Black People Will Watch Anything With My Name On it" was a blockbuster and you know it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#28 Nov 18 2011 at 2:50 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,673 posts
Oh, and obligatory.
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#29 Nov 18 2011 at 3:17 PM Rating: Decent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
This thread was unnecessary. We don't care about AA or reparations and we don't want to talk about it. We just enjoy poking at you Alma. You're like the half-dead mouse that the cat just can't seem to leave alone and let die.


This was very necessary.

It demonstrated that Vageta talked himself in the corner and was to cowardly to admit that he was wrong.

Also, it demonstrated that you all really like arguing about homosexuality. Thanks for pointing out that you don't care about AA or reparations.

I'm glad that you're having fun with this, because it wouldn't be right if it were only me.

I don't care about any type of sexuality. I just like poking at you. You're such an easy target.
#30 Nov 18 2011 at 4:10 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
But Tyler Perry movies reinforce stereotypes...
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#31 Nov 19 2011 at 6:22 AM Rating: Decent
Alma wrote:

Thanks. I see you were full of trash after all. No where in that comic strip does it address a third party member, especially when there is only 2 people in it.

Also, post 15 only states your opinion on AA, it doesn't state how it's the best solution to the problem.


Post #15 clearly states why I support AA & slave reparations. If you are unable to provide EXACTLY what part is incoherent, then you have no argument about my "inability to communicate".

____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#32 Nov 19 2011 at 7:05 AM Rating: Excellent
****
9,346 posts
Alma wrote:
Do you support Affirmative Action and why or why not


Nope. There should not be any special treatment when it comes to hiring, the person best qualified should get the job regardless of race, gender, cultural background, etc.

____________________________
10k before the site's inevitable death or bust

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#33 Nov 19 2011 at 7:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Driftwood wrote:
Alma wrote:
Do you support Affirmative Action and why or why not


Nope. There should not be any special treatment when it comes to hiring, the person best qualified should get the job regardless of race, gender, cultural background, etc.

AA policies would be more effective if the concentrated on cleaning up inner cities, especially the schools.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#34 Nov 19 2011 at 9:24 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Vageta wrote:
Post #15 clearly states why I support AA & slave reparations.


You are exactly right. Too bad that wasn't the intent of my post. I already know why you support AA and slave reparations, I'm asking you to support why you believe it is the best solution. You argued that until something was better, AA is the way to go. I'm now asking you to defend that.

Vageta wrote:
If you are unable to provide EXACTLY what part is incoherent, then you have no argument about my "inability to communicate"


As you said. Your post only states why you support AA and slave reparations. It does not state why it is the best solution. You have to explain how waiting for the white guy to stick out his hand is BETTER than the black guy just finding or building a latter. No where in your picture does it illustrate any of that thought process.
#35 Nov 19 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Alma wrote:
You argued that until something was better, AA is the way to go. I'm now asking you to defend that.


Post #15.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#36 Nov 19 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Decent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
Alma wrote:
You argued that until something was better, AA is the way to go. I'm now asking you to defend that.


Post #15.

The best thing is, you doing this actually does counter his arguments. That picture pretty much sums it up.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#37 Nov 19 2011 at 6:16 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,599 posts
Affirmative action? Fuck no.

In Texas, we have a state law saying that if you are in the top 10% of your graduating class, then you get automatic admission to all Texas public colleges. They decided to implement this because the Texas legislature decided that there wasn't enough ethnic variety at Texas public schools.

Now, there is certainly more, say, inner-city kids at schools like UT, but we've run into the issue where schools are having to take only top 10% kids because after the kids they are required to take, they simply don't have the room to take anyone else.

The school I wanted to go to, University of Texas, even has had an exception made for them. This past year, they only had to take the top 8% of students, because they are quickly reaching overpopulation. They have ~50,000 students, and no room to grow, being in the middle of Austin. They only made the exception because they predicted that this past year 75% of students would be getting in for this top 10% rule.

Now, you're probably thinking this is fair. Everyone has a the same chance to be top 10% in their school, right? Wrong. I went to a very good public school. Ranked 98 in the country by Newsweek. You think the top 10% at my school, with a graduating class of about 1,000 students was, as easy to get as the top 10% in podunk West Texas? **** no.

My GPA was 3.8. I was rank 300. Top third. That's it. I would be top 10% easy at many other schools in Texas. I was accepted to Baylor, SMU, and many other private schools that didn't have to deal with the top 10 rule. Do I think I would have been accepted at UT if the rule weren't in place? Maybe. I don't know. I'm not arrogant enough to say yes. But I will say that in Texas that rule is an example of affirmative action, and is completely unfair.

The law was even implemented because affirmative action in college admission is illegal. This was a freaking workaround.

So no, I don't' support affirmative action. All men are created equally? Then give us all an equal chance, for crap's sake.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#38 Nov 19 2011 at 6:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,366 posts
I don't know, sounds like an excellent opportunity to get out of Texas.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#39 Nov 19 2011 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
****
5,599 posts
If only UT wasn't where I wanted to go to school.

At the moment, I'm in a transfer program. I'm going to one of their satellite schools, and as long as I make a 3.2 my freshman year, I get guaranteed admission for transfer my sophomore year.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129
#40 Nov 19 2011 at 11:29 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I was actually in a similar situation, having gone to a very good high school (also top 50-100 in the nation, depending on what year you checked the rankings) and totally getting screwed out of the top 10% because that was exactly 7 people in our class of 74.

Over half our graduating class was accepted to UGA, and most of us opted to go there... except our valedictorian and saluditorian, because both of them got free rides elsewhere (the valedictorian went to Harvard on a full scholarship.) Yet the other half of the class didn't even get into UGA because it's so bloody competitive, and at the time having at least a B average in high school meant you got free in-state tuition to any public college.

So I can see how Texas's auto-enrollment issue is ******** y'all over. I'm sorry. Smiley: frown

Edited, Nov 20th 2011 10:22am by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#41 Nov 20 2011 at 1:15 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Omegavegeta wrote:
Alma wrote:
You argued that until something was better, AA is the way to go. I'm now asking you to defend that.


Post #15.

The best thing is, you doing this actually does counter his arguments. That picture pretty much sums it up.


How does a comic strip of 2 people address a third person?

How does a comic strip of a black guy waiting for the white guy to put out his hand address the black guy getting a latter?

It simply doesn't.

Omega is an idiot who talked himself in the corner and now he wants to avoid the topic because he realize how dumb his beliefs were.
#42 Nov 20 2011 at 3:50 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Nilatai wrote:
Omegavegeta wrote:
Alma wrote:
You argued that until something was better, AA is the way to go. I'm now asking you to defend that.


Post #15.

The best thing is, you doing this actually does counter his arguments. That picture pretty much sums it up.


How does a comic strip of 2 people address a third person?

How does a comic strip of a black guy waiting for the white guy to put out his hand address the black guy getting a latter?

It simply doesn't.

Omega is an idiot who talked himself in the corner and now he wants to avoid the topic because he realize how dumb his beliefs were.

See post #15.

You understand that it is a metaphor, right?

edit: What am I saying? Of course you don't...

Edited, Nov 20th 2011 4:51am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#43 Nov 20 2011 at 5:47 AM Rating: Good
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Almalieque wrote:

How does a comic strip of a black guy waiting for the white guy to put out his hand address the black guy getting a latter?

Latte? Later? Ladder?
WTH? Take a **** English class.
#44 Nov 20 2011 at 6:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:

Latte? Later? Ladder?
The latter, I think.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#45 Nov 20 2011 at 6:40 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Nadenu wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

How does a comic strip of a black guy waiting for the white guy to put out his hand address the black guy getting a latter?

Latte? Later? Ladder?
WTH? Take a **** English class.


So, when I make a mistake, I have to go take an English class, but when someone else says "Tis is you're", then it's my fault for correcting it because "I should have known"? STFU.

Nilitai wrote:
See post #15.

You understand that it is a metaphor, right?

edit: What am I saying? Of course you don't...


Exactly.

The metaphor shows that the white guy used the black guy to get up top. When the white guy gets up top, the black guy asks for a hand to get on top as well. The white guy complains and says "reverse discrimination".

I perfectly understand the metaphor. That metaphor explains his opinion on AA. His opinion was never in question. Post #15 explains his view quite well and I don't disagree with the post either. That wasn't the concern.

Vageta argued that the best thing for the black person is to stand there hoping and wishing that one day the white guy will stick out his hand and help him.

My counter is that, while assistance is nice, it is NOT the BEST solution. The best solution would be for the black guy to find or build a LADDER.

Ironically, you failed to see that "finding or building a ladder" is a metaphor of self help with education, motivation and self respect. Once that black person has access to a ladder, then he doesn't need to hope for the white guy to extend his hand. He can get on top as he pleases.

What I've asked Vageta to do is to now stand by his statement that waiting for a hand out is better than being independent. That picture does not do that because the words "better" and "best" means that there is a comparison being done. There is no comparison of solutions in that picture.

He knows that.

Edited, Nov 20th 2011 2:41pm by Almalieque
#46 Nov 20 2011 at 6:51 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,366 posts
Your correction was wrong though. It wasn't T'is, it was supposed to be This.

With your correction, the sentence would have said It is is.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#47 Nov 20 2011 at 6:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Your correction was wrong though. It wasn't T'is, it was supposed to be This.

With your correction, the sentence would have said It is is.

This.
Leaving out a letter is not the same as not knowing which word to use. Which is something you do all the **** time.
#48 Nov 20 2011 at 7:23 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Exactly.

The metaphor shows that the white guy used the black guy to get up top. When the white guy gets up top, the black guy asks for a hand to get on top as well. The white guy complains and says "reverse discrimination".

I perfectly understand the metaphor. That metaphor explains his opinion on AA. His opinion was never in question. Post #15 explains his view quite well and I don't disagree with the post either. That wasn't the concern.

Vageta argued that the best thing for the black person is to stand there hoping and wishing that one day the white guy will stick out his hand and help him.

My counter is that, while assistance is nice, it is NOT the BEST solution. The best solution would be for the black guy to find or build a LADDER.

Ironically, you failed to see that "finding or building a ladder" is a metaphor of self help with education, motivation and self respect. Once that black person has access to a ladder, then he doesn't need to hope for the white guy to extend his hand. He can get on top as he pleases.

What I've asked Vageta to do is to now stand by his statement that waiting for a hand out is better than being independent. That picture does not do that because the words "better" and "best" means that there is a comparison being done. There is no comparison of solutions in that picture.

He knows that.

Edited, Nov 20th 2011 2:41pm by Almalieque

So long as he doesn't obtain any of the parts of his ladder from a white guy, right? 'Cause that'd be AA!
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#49 Nov 20 2011 at 9:06 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Your correction was wrong though. It wasn't T'is, it was supposed to be This.

With your correction, the sentence would have said It is is.


Which is why I made the correction!!! Why would I correct "'Tis your"? Him leaving out a letter created another word. "Tis" isn't a common typo, so I assumed that he left off an apostrophe than an "h".

In any case, "you're" isn't the same as "your".

Nadenu wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Your correction was wrong though. It wasn't T'is, it was supposed to be This.

With your correction, the sentence would have said It is is.

This.
Leaving out a letter is not the same as not knowing which word to use. Which is something you do all the **** time.


You mean like "you're" and "your" which was in the very same sentence?



Edited, Nov 20th 2011 5:24pm by Almalieque

Edited, Nov 20th 2011 5:24pm by Almalieque
#50 Nov 20 2011 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
Exactly.

The metaphor shows that the white guy used the black guy to get up top. When the white guy gets up top, the black guy asks for a hand to get on top as well. The white guy complains and says "reverse discrimination".

I perfectly understand the metaphor. That metaphor explains his opinion on AA. His opinion was never in question. Post #15 explains his view quite well and I don't disagree with the post either. That wasn't the concern.

Vageta argued that the best thing for the black person is to stand there hoping and wishing that one day the white guy will stick out his hand and help him.

My counter is that, while assistance is nice, it is NOT the BEST solution. The best solution would be for the black guy to find or build a LADDER.

Ironically, you failed to see that "finding or building a ladder" is a metaphor of self help with education, motivation and self respect. Once that black person has access to a ladder, then he doesn't need to hope for the white guy to extend his hand. He can get on top as he pleases.

What I've asked Vageta to do is to now stand by his statement that waiting for a hand out is better than being independent. That picture does not do that because the words "better" and "best" means that there is a comparison being done. There is no comparison of solutions in that picture.

He knows that.

Edited, Nov 20th 2011 2:41pm by Almalieque

So long as he doesn't obtain any of the parts of his ladder from a white guy, right? 'Cause that'd be AA!


Almalieque on post 1 wrote:
Relying on affirmative action to make you successful is reactive. What if Republicans are successful at removing it? Now what? While AA is nice in theory and I have no opposition in it as a first step towards success, at the end of the day, it is not the solution.


Almalieque wrote:
while assistance is nice, it is NOT the BEST solution. The best solution would be for the black guy to find or build a LADDER



Edited, Nov 20th 2011 5:26pm by Almalieque
#51 Nov 20 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
So what I said then.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 66 All times are in CDT
Jophiel, Anonymous Guests (65)