Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Party TimeFollow

#1 Nov 17 2011 at 7:43 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
The political climate is ripe for a new thirdish party to make a move.

What should the new party be called?

What should be it's platform?

Who should be it's presidential candidate(s)?

What should be it's representative animal and color?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Nov 17 2011 at 7:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,947 posts
Elinda wrote:
The political climate is ripe for a new thirdish party to make a move.

What should the new party be called?

What should be it's platform?

Who should be it's presidential candidate(s)?

What should be it's representative animal and color?

Who would it represent?

Ultra liberals and ultra conservatives are too small of groups to be effective. I would guess you're talking about either the Tea Party, the religious right, or the OWS folks? Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

Edit: Rather, the only group I see being large enough to have their own party would be the religious right, which I would estimate is about 20-25% of the country and the majority of the Republican party. Forming their own party would gut the GOP and surely help the Democrats. Granted, I'd be more inclined to vote Republican then, as they could actually focus on fiscal conservatism instead of social conservatism, but I don't think too many people would change their minds.

Edited, Nov 17th 2011 8:56am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Nov 17 2011 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:
The political climate is ripe for a new thirdish party to make a move.

What should the new party be called?

What should be it's platform?

Who should be it's presidential candidate(s)?

What should be it's representative animal and color?

Who would it represent?

Ultra liberals and ultra conservatives are too small of groups to be effective. I would guess you're talking about either the Tea Party, the religious right, or the OWS folks? Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

Edit: Rather, the only group I see being large enough to have their own party would be the religious right, which I would estimate is about 20-25% of the country and the majority of the Republican party. Forming their own party would gut the GOP and surely help the Democrats. Granted, I'd be more inclined to vote Republican then, as they could actually focus on fiscal conservatism instead of social conservatism, but I don't think too many people would change their minds.

Edited, Nov 17th 2011 8:56am by LockeColeMA

It could be said that the two parties themselves have gone to far to the edges. How about one to fill in the middle?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#4 Nov 17 2011 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
Demicans or Republicrats? Smiley: grin


(best trip cartoon ever!)

Edited, Nov 17th 2011 3:00pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#5 Nov 17 2011 at 8:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,947 posts
Elinda wrote:

It could be said that the two parties themselves have gone to far to the edges. How about one to fill in the middle?

LockeColeMA wrote:
Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

I stand by my statement. If you're an actual independent, you vote on candidate, not party.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#6 Nov 17 2011 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:

It could be said that the two parties themselves have gone to far to the edges. How about one to fill in the middle?

LockeColeMA wrote:
Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

I stand by my statement. If you're an actual independent, you vote on candidate, not party.
An actual independent will never become an actual president.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#7 Nov 17 2011 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:

It could be said that the two parties themselves have gone to far to the edges. How about one to fill in the middle?

LockeColeMA wrote:
Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

I stand by my statement. If you're an actual independent, you vote on candidate, not party.

____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#8 Nov 17 2011 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,650 posts
Constitution Party? Green Party? Libertarian Party? America First Party? Christian Liberty Party? America's Party? American Patriot Party? American Party? Independent American Party? Conservative Party of New York? Alaskan Independence Party? Florida Whig Party? Americans Elect? Citizens Party? Independence Party of America? Modern Whig Party? Reform Party of the United States of America? Unity Party of America? Independence Party of Minnesota? Moderate Party (Illinois)? Republican Moderate? Party of Alaska? Moderate Party of Rhode Island? Working Families Party? Labor Party? Socialist Party USA? Communist Party USA? Socialist Labor Party of America? Party for Socialism and Liberation? Progressive Labor Party (USA)? Socialist Equality Party (United States)? Socialist Workers Party? World Socialist Party of the United States? Workers Party, USA? Workers World Party? Freedom Road Socialist Organization (freedomroad.org)? Freedom Road Socialist Organization (frso.org)? Freedom Socialist Party? Revolutionary Communist Party, USA? Socialist Action? Socialist Alternative? U.S. Marxist-Leninist Organization? Liberal Party of New York? Vermont Progressive Party? Liberty Union Party? Peace and Freedom Party? American Populist Party? Boston Tea Party? Jefferson Republican Party? Objectivist Party? Populist Party of America? American Reform Party? American **** Party (revived)? National Socialist Movement? American Third Position Party? La Raza Unida Party? Prohibition Party? Pirate Party of the United States? United States Marijuana Party? New York State Right to Life Party? Rent Is Too **** High Party?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 Nov 17 2011 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
Elinda wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:

It could be said that the two parties themselves have gone to far to the edges. How about one to fill in the middle?

LockeColeMA wrote:
Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

I stand by my statement. If you're an actual independent, you vote on candidate, not party.
An actual independent will never become an actual president.

Says who? We'd be better off fixing the election system than trying to trump up a 3rd party. Washington warned against a party system, and yet it's the current basis on who shows up on our national ballots.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#10 Nov 17 2011 at 8:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,288 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Constitution Party? Green Party? Libertarian Party? America First Party? Christian Liberty Party? America's Party? American Patriot Party? American Party? Independent American Party? Conservative Party of New York? Alaskan Independence Party? Florida Whig Party? Americans Elect? Citizens Party? Independence Party of America? Modern Whig Party? Reform Party of the United States of America? Unity Party of America? Independence Party of Minnesota? Moderate Party (Illinois)? Republican Moderate? Party of Alaska? Moderate Party of Rhode Island? Working Families Party? Labor Party? Socialist Party USA? Communist Party USA? Socialist Labor Party of America? Party for Socialism and Liberation? Progressive Labor Party (USA)? Socialist Equality Party (United States)? Socialist Workers Party? World Socialist Party of the United States? Workers Party, USA? Workers World Party? Freedom Road Socialist Organization (freedomroad.org)? Freedom Road Socialist Organization (frso.org)? Freedom Socialist Party? Revolutionary Communist Party, USA? Socialist Action? Socialist Alternative? U.S. Marxist-Leninist Organization? Liberal Party of New York? Vermont Progressive Party? Liberty Union Party? Peace and Freedom Party? American Populist Party? Boston Tea Party? Jefferson Republican Party? Objectivist Party? Populist Party of America? American Reform Party? American **** Party (revived)? National Socialist Movement? American Third Position Party? La Raza Unida Party? Prohibition Party? Pirate Party of the United States? United States Marijuana Party? New York State Right to Life Party? Rent Is Too **** High Party?

Key Party.
#11 Nov 17 2011 at 8:24 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,650 posts
Politicians in a Key Party?

Ew.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#12 Nov 17 2011 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,924 posts
Keg Party!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#13 Nov 17 2011 at 8:37 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
The political climate is ripe for a new thirdish party to make a move.

What should the new party be called?

What should be it's platform?

Who should be it's presidential candidate(s)?

What should be it's representative animal and color?


http://www.americanselect.org/
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#14 Nov 17 2011 at 8:42 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
Duke Lubriderm wrote:
Elinda wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:

It could be said that the two parties themselves have gone to far to the edges. How about one to fill in the middle?

LockeColeMA wrote:
Independents are too diverse to encompass all their views in one party.

I stand by my statement. If you're an actual independent, you vote on candidate, not party.
An actual independent will never become an actual president.

Says who? We'd be better off fixing the election system than trying to trump up a 3rd party. Washington warned against a party system, and yet it's the current basis on who shows up on our national ballots.
Your right. I'm stuck in the box of past American Political Reality.

The communication resources now available via the internets can provide for more diversity in candidates. I think we're still too sheepish though, at least for the next couple elections, to be able to bring a candidate to a viable spot on the presidential ballot without party backing.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#15 Nov 17 2011 at 8:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
A candidate without party backing will have almost no chance of making it on a national scale for the simple reason of money. Party backing and fundraising (RNC/DNC and the Congressional versions), allied PACs and guaranteed ballot access without the lengthy and expensive petition process.

Why do you think Congressional libertarians run on the Republican ticket and socialists/Greens run on the Democratic ticket? Even Bernie Sanders (I-VT) had a deal with Senator Schumer that the DSCC wouldn't back a Democratic opponent to Sanders' run.

Speaking of, for a Congresscritter, once you get into office you had better caucus with one of the parties or else you're immediately shut out of any committee assignments. Which is why "independents" like Lieberman still belong to the Democratic party for all practical purposes. An independent who isn't caucusing with D or R is neutered the moment they enter office since they'll never have the influence on the process his fellow Congress members do.

I'm not saying this is all good or bad but it's just the way of things. You're better off getting involved at a basic level in the party you most identify with and trying to steer them in your preferred direction than to wish for a third party.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 Nov 17 2011 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,952 posts
Realistically, there won't be a viable third party unless there is structural change in the underlying mechanics of our political system. We use a majority take all, and money heavy election system which necessarily polarizes your political agents.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#17 Nov 17 2011 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Realistically, there won't be a viable third party unless there is structural change in the underlying mechanics of our political system. We use a majority take all, and money heavy election system which necessarily polarizes your political agents.
Portland (Maine damnit!) recently ran the mayoral election using ranked voting. I believe it's premise is that if none of the candidates get a majority of votes, there is a run-off vote count. The least voted for candidate drops out and then the second rank of votes are counted...or something like that.

From what I understand, as a voter you make a top pick and then a second pick. I'm not sure if you're allowed to put down the same name twice or not????

boy grinding to 10k here is almost as bad as grinding out Rank 90 on my Warhammer Weezard - 1% per day


____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#18 Nov 17 2011 at 9:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Debalic wrote:
Keg Party!


The way they act, you'd think this was the case already.
____________________________
Come on Bill, let's go home
[ffxisig]63311[/ffxisig]
#19 Nov 17 2011 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Speaking of, some **** group keeps calling my house pitching their idea for open ranked primaries where the #1 & #2 get to compete in the general regardless of their party affiliation.

Then they asked me for $1,000 to contribute to their cause Smiley: dubious
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20 Nov 17 2011 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Speaking of, some **** group keeps calling my house pitching their idea for open ranked primaries where the #1 & #2 get to compete in the general regardless of their party affiliation.

Then they asked me for $1,000 to contribute to their cause Smiley: dubious


They started those a while back up here. Political parties started holding closed primaries (only registered party members could vote) to ensure they'd get their candidate to the general election. Cheese got moved, but little changed.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#21 Nov 17 2011 at 10:15 AM Rating: Excellent
******
30,642 posts
What is it's favorite color?

Edited, Nov 17th 2011 10:16am by Belkira
#22 Nov 17 2011 at 10:19 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,839 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
What is it's favorite color?

Edited, Nov 17th 2011 10:16am by Belkira
My party will be called the iParty or it can also be known as the smartparty. It's color will be white, but it will have multiple skins that can be changed out as needed.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#23 Nov 17 2011 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,952 posts
Elinda wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
What is it's favorite color?

Edited, Nov 17th 2011 10:16am by Belkira
My party will be called the iParty or it can also be known as the smartparty. It's color will be white, but it will have multiple skins that can be changed out as needed.


Shedding it's snakeskin and selling it's platform under various rhetorical veneers to appeal to different constituent groups, while being beholden to corporate shareholders?

I think we're already full up on parties like that.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#24 Nov 17 2011 at 10:31 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,650 posts
We should go with a House Party, if only to see the international reaction to hair that tall.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Nov 17 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,309 posts
The Coffee party started as a reaction against the Tea Party (Wake up America!!!1!11!) but it then sort of folded into The Other 98%, which has now blossomed into OWS and The 99%.

I'd like to see the Facts Only party. No spin, no opinions, only cold hard facts allowed.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#26varusword75, Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 12:49 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I see you liberals are starting to get more nervous with each passing day. You're hoping and praying for another ross perot spoiler but it's just not going to happen.
#27 Nov 17 2011 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,650 posts
Gumbo Galahad wrote:
I see you liberals are starting to get more nervous with each passing day.
Yeah, this would be the idiot reaction to this thread.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#28 Nov 17 2011 at 1:59 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
*****
19,924 posts
We don't need a spoiler. The mess the GOP is in is its own downfall.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#29 Nov 17 2011 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,309 posts
varusword75 wrote:
I see you liberals are starting to get more nervous with each passing day. You're hoping and praying for another ross perot spoiler but it's just not going to happen.



Actually, there was a Republican strategist on NPR this morning saying he was hoping and praying for another Ralph Nader.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#30 Nov 17 2011 at 8:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
5,458 posts
catwho wrote:
I'd like to see the Facts Only party. No spin, no opinions, only cold hard facts allowed.


Because most Americans would vote for the candidate that tells them the facts, not what they want to hear.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#31 Nov 17 2011 at 11:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,875 posts
Elinda wrote:
The political climate is ripe for a new thirdish party to make a move.

Maybe the third party already made its move... and that created the climate?

Elinda wrote:

What should the new party be called?

The League of Doom!

Elinda wrote:

What should be it's platform?

World Dominion. Join us or Die.

Elinda wrote:

Who should be it's presidentialSupreme Dictator for Life of Doom candidate(s)?

ME!

Elinda wrote:

What should be it's representative animal and color?

The mighty Wombat of doom!, and Blue. Because I like blue. Its a very nice color. Should go well with the uniforms. If some other party is already using it, thats too bad, see our platform...
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#32 Nov 18 2011 at 12:41 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,575 posts
I have to admit you've got a lot of appeal, but I think there'll be some demographics that fiercely oppose you like African-american wives of the deceased, tall fathers, Mexican hermits, and poulty-lovers.

Edited, Nov 18th 2011 12:43am by Allegory
#33 Nov 18 2011 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,552 posts
That's ok. The League of Doom (if that is their real name), will be opposed by SPIDER, the Secret Party Incorporating Democrats, Republicans, and Everyone in between (get it? Smiley: lol). We will use our spidery appendages to reach into every other political organization, tie them up in webs of confuzzlement, and then feed on them to make ourselves stronger! Oh yes, even the mighty wombat army(tm) cannot stand against us!

Our symbol will of course be a spider. Possibly one hiding right on the side of the mouse you can't see (or in your pantry cupboard, our art department is still working on that). Our colors will be black, red, and something blotchy I think (we really need to hire an art department). We may appear where you least expect it, but we'll keep those other pesky critters (and political parties) away from you. So vote for us! Hurray!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#34 Nov 18 2011 at 3:58 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,650 posts
SPIDRE.

I'd probably join it anyway.

Edited, Nov 18th 2011 4:58pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#35 Nov 18 2011 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
9,260 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
they could actually focus on fiscal conservatism instead of social conservatism


Don't the pubbies just pretend to be fiscal conservatives and then run up all the bills?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 51 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Kastigir, Technogeek, Xsarus, Anonymous Guests (47)